In at Berkeley!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Marshall Eriksen

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby Marshall Eriksen » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:17 am

Last edited by Marshall Eriksen on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:41 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Kronk wrote:Last year I would've thought the same thing as all of you. I was a little sad to see the drop from 6 to 7 even. Now I don't care at all. Mainly because law firms don't care.

At all.

So you cared when you were a 0L like all of us here, but you stopped caring after starting law school? That's actually very reassuring in a way, knowing the actual journey to a career in law is not so ranking based. I suppose the rankings are really just for 0Ls anyway.

So what's the biggest reason for the drop? I have not had the time to dwell on the methodology and such.

It goes both ways. I have gone into interviews for summer jobs against Stanford, Harvard, UC Hastings people, etc. I don't feel a real advantage or disadvantage over any of them. Once you get the interview, I don't know how much it matters. I can tell you that I doubt any employers care about a few places in the rankings (I'd go as far as to say we could be 6th or 13th, it wouldn't matter), none of the students talked about it, etc.

But yes, I was worried last year. I almost let my obsession with the rankings put me at Chicago or NYU. I am extremely glad I went to ASD, got a little wiser, and chose Berkeley (although Chicago is a fine place too).

I don't know why the drop. Our 25th LSAT seems pretty low. But even that is BS. Everyone here is pretty smart, and if not, you'll be blown away by what they've done. Most of our class that got in with lower numbers are Fulbright Scholars or something crazy like that. I don't blame Berkeley for giving up a few LSAT points for

I don't trust USNWR employment statistics at all. They aren't even legal employment. Not to mention they are unverifiable. The margin of error on those numbers has to be like plus or minus 20%. Anyway, I wouldn't have even known / checked where Berkeley was in the rankings, but one of my classmates had a facebook status making a joke about it. Otherwise I would've been blissfully ignorant.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:11 pm

Anyone who thinks these differences are meaningful should probably follow their hearts and go to the now "better" schools. (But remember, when the rankings change again next year so US News can sell more shit, you might be at a "worse" school).

powerlawyer06

Postby powerlawyer06 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:21 pm

I am just really only worried about the negative trend.

However looking at the 100 point scale really put this move into perspective.

I will share with you guys one other thing that made me feel better. I was so worried this morning that I called my one Big Law contact (my uncle) in NYC. He is a Boalt Alum. Our conversation went something like this.

Me: Did you see the rankings?
Uncle: What rankings?
Me: The new US NEWS & World Report ranking of law schools came out. Berkeley dropped two spots!
Uncle: Are they still in the top ten?
Me: Yes but they went from tied at 7th to tied at 9th.
Uncle: Isn’t that only one spot?
Me: Sort of….
Uncle: You know no one cares about those rankings once you leave school?
Me: I know but what if Berkeley keeps falling until…
Uncle: Nothing will happen. Trust me, the powers that be make sure the same prestigious schools get the same rankings and the same jobs year after year. When I graduated from there it was ranked 13th.
Me: Okay but I don’t know if I am making the right decision.
Uncle: Calm down, all of your choices are fine schools but you need to go where you are comfortable......
(Then we started talking about family stuff)

He may be slightly biased but it makes me feel better to know that lawyers don't really care about rankings.
Last edited by powerlawyer06 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:26 pm

I think it's worth noting that Berkeley has generally fluctuated a bit. It has been ranked as high as 6th and as low as 12-13th. Same with almost every other school outside of HYSC. It's only a "negative trend" if is constantly for like 15 years. Otherwise it's just the pendulum swinging.

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:28 pm

I also spoke with a close family friend in Big Law and he said Berkeley was an great choice and the rankings really don't mean much if you are in top 10.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:30 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:Anyone who thinks these differences are meaningful should probably follow their hearts and go to the now "better" schools. (But remember, when the rankings change again next year so US News can sell more shit, you might be at a "worse" school).

Having had a career in data crunching, I wouldn't go as far as there is no meaningful differences. However I am more interested in the data than the rankings. Understanding the underlying data will allow anyone to not be blinded by the "dumbed-down version" that is the rankings.

powerlawyer06

Postby powerlawyer06 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:30 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:I also spoke with a close family friend in Big Law and he said Berkeley was an great choice and the rankings really don't mean much if you are in top 10.

LOL, I guess we all did the same thing this morning.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:33 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:I also spoke with a close family friend in Big Law and he said Berkeley was an great choice and the rankings really don't mean much if you are in top 10.

Yes, several lawyers have told me this. And let us not forget, Berkeley is still by far the second best school on the west coast. I am not saying everything is sunshine and kittens (the state of California's economy and the tuition increases/budget cuts are a bit worrisome), but the drop from 7 to 9 does not mean anything.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:33 pm

Kronk wrote:
It goes both ways. I have gone into interviews for summer jobs against Stanford, Harvard, UC Hastings people, etc. I don't feel a real advantage or disadvantage over any of them. Once you get the interview, I don't know how much it matters. I can tell you that I doubt any employers care about a few places in the rankings (I'd go as far as to say we could be 6th or 13th, it wouldn't matter), none of the students talked about it, etc.

But yes, I was worried last year. I almost let my obsession with the rankings put me at Chicago or NYU. I am extremely glad I went to ASD, got a little wiser, and chose Berkeley (although Chicago is a fine place too).

I don't know why the drop. Our 25th LSAT seems pretty low. But even that is BS. Everyone here is pretty smart, and if not, you'll be blown away by what they've done. Most of our class that got in with lower numbers are Fulbright Scholars or something crazy like that. I don't blame Berkeley for giving up a few LSAT points for

I don't trust USNWR employment statistics at all. They aren't even legal employment. Not to mention they are unverifiable. The margin of error on those numbers has to be like plus or minus 20%. Anyway, I wouldn't have even known / checked where Berkeley was in the rankings, but one of my classmates had a facebook status making a joke about it. Otherwise I would've been blissfully ignorant.

Thanks for the clarification!

The indicators are intriguing, but I doubt the rankings will affect my employability and my chances to succeed. It's still fun to compare the schools without doing your own research though.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:53 pm

The rankings really are meaningless once you start attending school/practicing. I didn't even know the rankings came out until I logged into this board today!

Most lawyers don't care about USNWR rankings, just like they don't care about Vault rankings (hiring committees know Berkeley, Michigan, NYU, etc. are good schools - I doubt they get down to the nitty gritty and examine which school is ranked where). And 2Ls with job offers certainly don't care about whether Berkeley dropped one or two spots (with ties, etc.). They fluctuate so frequently that it doesn't matter lol. I remember being a 0L and obsessed with the rankings - and then being a 1L and being obsessed with the Vault rankings - now, I don't care for either. I don't even pay attention to them. At a certain point, you just stop caring about that stuff! I promise. :D

aesis

Postby aesis » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:42 pm

I would also like to echo the concern over the negative trend -- 3 spots over 2 years.

Despite the rapid increase in tuition, Berkeley has fallen behind its peers ranking-wise. What's up with that? Dean Edley has made it clear that his goals are to ensure Berkeley remains a "Top 10 law school." But now, Boalt is at the cusp of falling out of the T10.

Further, though many of us (me!!!) are eager to swallow up the "Don't panic" from current Boalties, there are still others who were on the fence about Boalt in the first place. Who knows how many 0Ls will be pushed away by the drop this year, in addition to Boalt's expensive! out of state tuition. What will that mean for Boalt's medians this year? Boalt's lack of resources to bid for competitive applicants also raises concerns.

People say the rankings fluctuate often and predictably, but this is perhaps the first time the UC system/Boalt has had to dramatically alter its financial structure to accommodate the state budget cuts to education.

I'm just saying Boalt is starting to look like a tenuous investment versus CLS/NYU/Chicago for those who were considering it.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:13 pm

aesis wrote:I would also like to echo the concern over the negative trend -- 3 spots over 2 years.

Despite the rapid increase in tuition, Berkeley has fallen behind its peers ranking-wise. What's up with that? Dean Edley has made it clear that his goals are to ensure Berkeley remains a "Top 10 law school." But now, Boalt is at the cusp of falling out of the T10.

Further, though many of us (me!!!) are eager to swallow up the "Don't panic" from current Boalties, there are still others who were on the fence about Boalt in the first place. Who knows how many 0Ls will be pushed away by the drop this year, in addition to Boalt's expensive! out of state tuition. What will that mean for Boalt's medians this year? Boalt's lack of resources to bid for competitive applicants also raises concerns.

People say the rankings fluctuate often and predictably, but this is perhaps the first time the UC system/Boalt has had to dramatically alter its financial structure to accommodate the state budget cuts to education.

I'm just saying Boalt is starting to look like a tenuous investment versus CLS/NYU/Chicago for those who were considering it.

Was Michigan on the cusp of falling out of the rankings last year? I mean, you probably don't know if you weren't paying attention to the whole law school thing last year. Tiny differences in the US News rankings is probably the WORST reason to choose one school over the other. There's no difference between any of these schools in reality. There is very little employment difference between the schools you've mentioned and Boalt. Boalt doesn't have a lack of resources, as you put it, because tuition is rising. They continue to increase our operating budget (which is hy tuition is rising).

All of these schools are fantastic. You should go where you think you'll do best and where you think your needs will be catered to. You're intelligent, you did well on the LSAT, so try not to let a for profit magazine's minutiea based differentiation alter a huge life decision. What will you do when it changes again next year?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:29 pm

aesis wrote:I would also like to echo the concern over the negative trend -- 3 spots over 2 years.

Honestly I don't care where you go and will not try to convince you to come to Boalt. I just think if you like the Bay Area more than NYC and Chicago, or like the atmosphere here, or the student body, you will regret basing your decision off these rankings once you begin your 1L year. (or, for that matter, the several thousand dollar a year difference between UCB out of state and UChi, NYU, or CLS)

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:32 pm

I just got an e-mail saying that I am not getting the Matching Scholarship. I guess this makes the decision easier. I sent an e-mail saying I am no longer coming to the ASW. I can't bring myself to decline the offer of admission yet.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:34 pm

sarahh wrote:I just got an e-mail saying that I am not getting the Matching Scholarship. I guess this makes the decision easier. I sent an e-mail saying I am no longer coming to the ASW. I can't bring myself to decline the offer of admission yet.

Who were you trying to get them to match?

aesis

Postby aesis » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:35 pm

After reading a bit more I think my concerns are a bit unwarranted, so it's nice to hear the retorts that confirm that sentiment. And I just got a call from a Boaltie asking if I had any questions! <3

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:37 pm

tipler4213 wrote:
sarahh wrote:I just got an e-mail saying that I am not getting the Matching Scholarship. I guess this makes the decision easier. I sent an e-mail saying I am no longer coming to the ASW. I can't bring myself to decline the offer of admission yet.

Michigan

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:39 pm

sarahh wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:

Michigan

See now that scares me.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:40 pm

sarahh wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:

Michigan

Was it a large award? Sorry for prying, just thirsty for every bit of info regarding $.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:47 pm

At least our year, the matching scholarships were fairly hard to come by unless you were a URM. I didn't get anything matched and had large scholarships at UVa and UChi.

clone22

Postby clone22 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:49 pm

you showed them :wink:

i kid, i'm just jealous :)

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:52 pm

Just submitted my supplemental scholarship essay. About how long til people hear back?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:56 pm

Kronk wrote:At least our year, the matching scholarships were fairly hard to come by unless you were a URM. I didn't get anything matched and had large scholarships at UVa and UChi.

This would be sad news indeed.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:59 pm

r6_philly wrote:
sarahh wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:

Michigan

Was it a large award? Sorry for prying, just thirsty for every bit of info regarding $.

Yes, it was the Darrow. I am not surprised but am sad that I cannot stay in the area. I was already a little down about not getting an RTK invite. I know I have good options though.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”