In at Berkeley!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
aesis

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby aesis » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:03 pm

r6_philly wrote:I feel left out :?

+1 WHY U NO CALL?

srvyorgeneral

Postby srvyorgeneral » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:10 pm

aesis wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I feel left out :?

+1 WHY U NO CALL?

Ditto.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:06 am

That ASW schedule would be super useful at this point. I kinda want to bail on most of Saturday - UCLA's thing is on Sunday and I need to manage my travel plans and stuff, if I'm going to go out to Cali.

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:45 pm

I'm going to the ASW for berkeley...for the reimbursement is Thursday required??

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:58 pm

Hey guys--so I know we have a few scholarship offers recorded (congrats uncommon!), but does anyone know when their typical "wave" is? I think most people who have offers came through submitting matching, but I am curious about their actual offers.

(starting to freak about money)

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:11 pm

I didn't go to any of the Saturday stuff and didn't feel like I missed anything.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:15 pm

tipler4213 wrote:Hey guys--so I know we have a few scholarship offers recorded (congrats uncommon!), but does anyone know when their typical "wave" is? I think most people who have offers came through submitting matching, but I am curious about their actual offers.

The 3 on LSN all look like matching offers. I wonder if they will give any non-matching scholarships at all. Last year's thread showed most offers coming out around ASW.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:23 pm

r6_philly wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:Hey guys--so I know we have a few scholarship offers recorded (congrats uncommon!), but does anyone know when their typical "wave" is? I think most people who have offers came through submitting matching, but I am curious about their actual offers.

The 3 on LSN all look like matching offers. I wonder if they will give any non-matching scholarships at all. Last year's thread showed most offers coming out around ASW.

I would think they have to do some non-matching offers, particularly with the tuition increases. I sure hope so at least. I went from happy with my acceptances to petrified over debt in the last 3-4 days

Boggs

Postby Boggs » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:34 pm

tipler4213 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I would think they have to do some non-matching offers, particularly with the tuition increases. I sure hope so at least. I went from happy with my acceptances to petrified over debt in the last 3-4 days

Yeah, seriously. COA at Berkeley is getting insane. They simply are going to have to give me some $. Berkeley has been my #1 since the day I applied, but I can't justify sticker cost.

cmaas

Postby cmaas » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:51 pm

Has anyone who was accepted after the second CR received their package in the mail?

moneko

Postby moneko » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:42 pm

Last edited by moneko on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:57 pm

cmaas wrote:Has anyone who was accepted after the second CR received their package in the mail?

Yes :D

JeremyPaul

Postby JeremyPaul » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:16 pm

sigh. so should the new USN rankings be bumming us all out right now? the fact that UCB has been raising its tuition so much at the same time as dropping in the rankings is pretty lame.

as for the timing of scholies, i'm pretty sure most come out right before ASW (AKA even after getting into our dream school we're all gonna be waiting in agony indefinitely.)

powerlawyer06

Postby powerlawyer06 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:18 pm

JeremyPaul wrote:so should the new USN rankings be bumming us all out right now? the fact that UCB has been raising its tuition so much at the same time as dropping in the rankings is pretty lame.

+1 :(

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:23 pm

tipler4213 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

+ 1

JeremyPaul

Postby JeremyPaul » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:27 pm

Silver lining of the new USN numbers is that I got offered some scholarship money from Michigan and just submitted it to Berkeley for matching. Maybe this will give me an edge!! :lol:

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:42 pm

JeremyPaul wrote:sigh. so should the new USN rankings be bumming us all out right now? the fact that UCB has been raising its tuition so much at the same time as dropping in the rankings is pretty lame.

I don't think law firms actually care.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:05 am

sarahh wrote:
JeremyPaul wrote:sigh. so should the new USN rankings be bumming us all out right now? the fact that UCB has been raising its tuition so much at the same time as dropping in the rankings is pretty lame.

I don't think law firms actually care.

Best summary I've seen of what the new rankings actually say:
[From Nuts & Boalts]
Here's the fabled T14 along with the total "score" assigned to each school by USNWR. The score is scaled to the top school (Yale). The number in brackets is the score difference between this year and last. Only Harvard declined relative to Yale. Berkeley, Northwestern, and Georgetown stayed the same, and everyone else gained a point or two.

#1 100 Yale
#2 96 [-1] Harvard
#3 94 [+1] Stanford
#4 92 [+1] Columbia
#5 90 [+2] Chicago
#6 89 [+2] NYU
#7 86 [+2] Michigan
#7 86 [+1] UPenn
#9 85 [0] Berkeley
#9 85 [+2] Virginia
#11 83 [+1] Duke
#12 82 [0] Northwestern
#13 80 [+2] Cornell
#14 77 [0] Georgetown DC

It's hard to see this as anything other than statistical noise.

aesis

Postby aesis » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:28 am

powerlawyer06 wrote:
JeremyPaul wrote:so should the new USN rankings be bumming us all out right now? the fact that UCB has been raising its tuition so much at the same time as dropping in the rankings is pretty lame.

+1 :(

+1
statistical noise or not it is still worrisome

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:55 am

Last year I would've thought the same thing as all of you. I was a little sad to see the drop from 6 to 7 even. Now I don't care at all. Mainly because law firms don't care.

At all.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:15 am

i know everyone says it doesn't matter.... but truthfully our numbers are on a serious downward trend. and we were sixth 2yrs ago. I was reading the interview from Dean Tom and they were joking that no one would go to Michigan over Berkeley. Don't think that's the case anymore..... I'm still going to ASW but these number seriously put a damper on everything :(.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:54 am

Kronk wrote:Last year I would've thought the same thing as all of you. I was a little sad to see the drop from 6 to 7 even. Now I don't care at all. Mainly because law firms don't care.

At all.

So you cared when you were a 0L like all of us here, but you stopped caring after starting law school? That's actually very reassuring in a way, knowing the actual journey to a career in law is not so ranking based. I suppose the rankings are really just for 0Ls anyway.

So what's the biggest reason for the drop? I have not had the time to dwell on the methodology and such.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:55 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:i know everyone says it doesn't matter.... but truthfully our numbers are on a serious downward trend. and we were sixth 2yrs ago. I was reading the interview from Dean Tom and they were joking that no one would go to Michigan over Berkeley. Don't think that's the case anymore..... I'm still going to ASW but these number seriously put a damper on everything :(.

Maybe that would translate to some $$$ for more of us? I did a spreadsheet last night, even with your offer the cost is still higher than my other offers. But I am still interested in choosing Boalt, pending the ASW.

softsgalore

Postby softsgalore » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:49 am

Statistical noise is pretty much by definition NOT worrisome, folks.

I guess everyone here would rather Berkeley just drop committee review, pick applicants by numbers only, have a huge "soft reject" waitlist, and have hard GPA/LSAT floors? Realistically, that's what schools are doing.

The difference between Michigan and Berkeley in terms of employment is less than a percentage point. That means it's literally a matter of a person or two. Berkeley puts three percent of its grads more than Michigan into NLJ250 firms, and puts a significant amount more into public interest positions than its peer schools. Realistically, everyone here who's suddenly having an "oh shit" moment is doing so for a reason that doesn't make sense unless you credit the ranking authorities with a godlike power that transcends mere mortal understanding of statistical significance.

This ritualistic thing where people spend US News Ranking Day disappointed in a one-rank drop or crowing about a one-rank gain is no more than a way to drive yet another wedge into an already-competitive applicant pool at the top. I know most folks here aren't math majors or anything, but we're smarter than this as a group. Rankings already have too much power -- interpreting statistical randomness as meaningful is a mistake we're better than.

TL;DR: What the fuck is wrong with all of you? You'd be better off reading tea leaves.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:08 am

softsgalore wrote:I know most folks here aren't math majors or anything, but we're smarter than this as a group.

:lol:

You worked in an insult and a compliment at the same time.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”