In at Berkeley!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
askyemcdonald

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby askyemcdonald » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:51 pm

Where are people staying?

moneko

Postby moneko » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:04 pm

does anyone know if for reimbursements do we have to hit the entire ASW?
I have (an admittedly weird schedule) so I would have to leave on Friday morning and would have to miss half the ASW :( but i still want to go to at least half...

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:28 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:Where are people staying?

At my house :)

juliachild-ish

Postby juliachild-ish » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:07 pm

moneko wrote:does anyone know if for reimbursements do we have to hit the entire ASW?
I have (an admittedly weird schedule) so I would have to leave on Friday morning and would have to miss half the ASW :( but i still want to go to at least half...

I think you'd be missing more than half...from what I read on the website, it seems like the only event on Thursday is a diversity dinner, and that the real events start at 9AM on Friday. Or did you mean to say that you're leaving on Saturday morning? In which case I'm kind of in the same boat, have to leave by early afternoon Saturday in order to get back across the country at a reasonable hour.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:09 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:
moneko wrote:does anyone know if for reimbursements do we have to hit the entire ASW?

I think you'd be missing more than half...from what I read on the website, it seems like the only event on Thursday is a diversity dinner, and that the real events start at 9AM on Friday. Or did you mean to say that you're leaving on Saturday morning? In which case I'm kind of in the same boat, have to leave by early afternoon Saturday in order to get back across the country at a reasonable hour.

I am also planning on leaving Sat afternoon at this point. Waiting on the full schedule.

AlexTrebek

Postby AlexTrebek » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:15 pm

I want to get the opinion of those of you who have been admitted (you must have done something right)...

I was CR2 and it's now Thursday morning and I haven't heard anything. If at the end of the day I still haven't heard anything I was thinking about sending them an email (basically just LOCI).

I kinda figure it can't hurt since I'm looking at rejection anyway. Thoughts?

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:25 pm

AlexTrebek wrote:I want to get the opinion of those of you who have been admitted (you must have done something right)...

I was CR2 and it's now Thursday morning and I haven't heard anything. If at the end of the day I still haven't heard anything I was thinking about sending them an email (basically just LOCI).

I kinda figure it can't hurt since I'm looking at rejection anyway. Thoughts?

Totally not worth it. If they haven't called you by the end of the day, they still have probably already made their decision. You won't be able to change it at this point with an LOCI.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:43 pm

r6_philly wrote:
juliachild-ish wrote:

I am also planning on leaving Sat afternoon at this point. Waiting on the full schedule.

Great I'm probably doing the same thing. I'm not staying overnight Saturday. Ill help out with gas r6

t1chic

Postby t1chic » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:16 pm

YAY!!! I can't believe it, but I'm posting here!!!

um, sorry that I'm so behind, but is there only one ASW? the weekend of April 8th?

fish52

Postby fish52 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:53 pm

Congrats to recent admits! To help you realize what a great accomplishment this is....

Here is the Time's ranking of universities by their international reputation. It is based on a survey of 13,000 established academics in 131 countries. Berkeley ranks #4 in the world....ahead of #5 Stanford. ;)

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/w ... erse_false
Last edited by fish52 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:58 pm

fish52 wrote:Not sure if anyone else saw this... ranking of universities by their international reputation. It is based on a survey of 13,000 established academics in 131 countries. Berkeley ranks #4 in the world....ahead of #5 Stanford. ;)

:D

Zabini

Postby Zabini » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:08 pm

fish52 wrote:Congrats to recent admits! To help you realize what a great accomplishment this is....

Here is the Time's ranking of universities by their international reputation. It is based on a survey of 13,000 established academics in 131 countries. Berkeley ranks #4 in the world....ahead of #5 Stanford. ;)

lol why is the drop off so sharp between Oxford and Princeton?

czelede

Postby czelede » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:20 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:
fish52 wrote:Not sure if anyone else saw this... ranking of universities by their international reputation. It is based on a survey of 13,000 established academics in 131 countries. Berkeley ranks #4 in the world....ahead of #5 Stanford. ;)

Lol at Illinois being ranked 22 though...they're like in the 50s nationally.

fish52

Postby fish52 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:37 pm

czelede wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:

Berkley is also ranked #22 nationally... but keep in mind that these are rankings based on international reputation, whereas the USNWR has a lot of odd components to its methodology and its reputation component only includes perception here in the US. Berkeley is really well known for its international reputation, which is probably even higher than its domestic reputation. Illinois, like Berkeley, is probably punished in the USNWR for being a public university (re: methodology).
Last edited by fish52 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:14 am

Very excited to post here!! Didn't think I had much of a chance applying the next to last day but looks like everything turned out well!

Barring any further acceptances, Berkeley may very well be my home this fall. Also super pumped for ASW!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:16 am

cardinals1989 wrote:Very excited to post here!! Didn't think I had much of a chance applying the next to last day but looks like everything turned out well!

Barring any further acceptances, Berkeley may very well be my home this fall. Also super pumped for ASW!

Dude! What did I tell you!

When are you flying up?

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:24 am

r6_philly wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:Very excited to post here!! Didn't think I had much of a chance applying the next to last day but looks like everything turned out well!

Dude! What did I tell you!

When are you flying up?

Not really sure. I am really flexible on flights, so I'll start looking into logistics soon. Since I only have my phone for the Internet this week, it's a lot harder for me to look through all the pages of this thread-when is the first event?

Ps-I really hope that I won't be leaving until Monday, if you get what I mean. :wink:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:34 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
Not really sure. I am really flexible on flights, so I'll start looking into logistics soon. Since I only have my phone for the Internet this week, it's a lot harder for me to look through all the pages of this thread-when is the first event?

Ps-I really hope that I won't be leaving until Monday, if you get what I mean. :wink:

Ya I forgot. I am flying in Thur. morning. Come then and we can hang out and drive in.

I know what you mean, trust me I do.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:03 am

fish52 wrote:
czelede wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:

Berkley is also ranked #22 nationally... but keep in mind that these are rankings based on international reputation, whereas the USNWR has a lot of odd components to its methodology and its reputation component only includes perception here in the US. Berkeley is really well known for its international reputation, which is probably even higher than its domestic reputation. Illinois, like Berkeley, is probably punished in the USNWR for being a public university (re: methodology).

Illinois is one of the best Engineering schools in the world. They have a ton of research oppurtunities, many foreign students and internationally their reputation is quite good because of their alum who work across the globe. Not sure why it's funny.

powerlawyer06

Postby powerlawyer06 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:12 am

Did anyone else get a call from a 2L at Boalt recently?

My call was awesome. The student was really nice and answered all my very specific questions. It is nice to get information about Boalt from someone who is a current student and not on TLS.

I asked about OCI, Clinics, School/Social Life Balance, ASW, Clerkships, and the grading system. He had really thoughtful responses to all my questions.

Anybody else have a similar experience?

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:18 am

Got the same call earlier tonight. Unfortunately, he called right in the middle of the Texas-OU game, just as OU was starting to make a run...so...the call didn't last terribly long, haha.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:48 am

Congrats to all the new threat members! Now we can all neurotically hope for big $$$

ppch

Postby ppch » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:14 pm

tag

paisaaa

Postby paisaaa » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:00 pm

I got a call from a 3L at 10:30 pm last night. To be honest, I was kind of disillusioned.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:02 pm

I feel left out :?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”