In at Berkeley!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
clone22

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby clone22 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:07 pm

On the optional scholarship site, it says "In what ways will make a significant contribution to the overall diversity of our entering class?"

honestly?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:34 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:I'm just dying to hear back about need based aid . . .

Please don't write me anymore. I don't like when people call me a liar. Hmmkthanks.

JeremyPaul

Postby JeremyPaul » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:12 pm

congrats again uncommon! a big award like that gives us hope that berkeley actually gives legit scholies!

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:17 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:I'm just dying to hear back about need based aid . . .

Please don't write me anymore. I don't like when people call me a liar. Hmmkthanks.

Wow, you should really look at the time of the pm I sent. I wasn't calling you a liar. I thought you were joking at first, so I sent you a message. The message was sent before you clarified.

Your reaction is bizarre . . .

clone22

Postby clone22 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:25 pm

Would now be far too late to send that optional scholarship interest form?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:39 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:.

Your reaction is bizarre . . .

Well me and you must be from two different places. If you tell me you did something and I come back with.....

"Are you sure you did that? because I didn't think it was possible"

That sounds like, I don't believe you or you're lying to me.

If I miss understood it, well then my fault but I wouldn't just say something like that to screw with people. I don't see how that would be helpful or funny. And for me to call you out for it doesn't seem bizarre I think it's actually normal.

Edit: Being former Army I take my integrity seriously. But there is no need to argue over a message board and like I said before I really hope you and the other people waiting get their scholarship offers soon. See you at ASW (I'll bring the scholarship letter) :D

clone22

Postby clone22 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:07 am

Let's all just chill out, remember we're going (at least for the ASW) to one of the chillest places in continental US, and all just enjoy another's company. And for the record, I envy your scholarship uncommon, but that just means I'll buy you a friggin drink for achieving that (and serving our nation) so let's all just hold hands and pass the .....

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:12 am

clone22 wrote:Let's all just chill out, remember we're going (at least for the ASW) to one of the chillest places in continental US, and all just enjoy another's company. And for the record, I envy your scholarship uncommon, but that just means I'll buy you a friggin drink for achieving that (and serving our nation) so let's all just hold hands and pass the .....

lol I'm drinking Tequilla!

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:20 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
clone22 wrote:Let's all just chill out, remember we're going (at least for the ASW) to one of the chillest places in continental US, and all just enjoy another's company. And for the record, I envy your scholarship uncommon, but that just means I'll buy you a friggin drink for achieving that (and serving our nation) so let's all just hold hands and pass the .....

lol I'm drinking Tequilla!

It's all good. Really sorry if I offended.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:44 pm

clone22 wrote:Would now be far too late to send that optional scholarship interest form?

I'm wondering the same thing . . . Also, I'm not sure that I have much to say that I didn't already say somewhere else in my application.

I guess it couldn't hurt? Unless I screw something up, like usual, and then it could . . .

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:02 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:A little more info since I guess not to many people have got scholarship money.

I got it in an email from Mrs. Alvarez, it is 34 the first year 33 the other two years. No grade stip (do T14 do this?) I just have to stay in good academic standing. It also said: Please note that we also make summer funding available to students working in the public interest if you choose to pursue that path. Oh and I have to decide by April 15th and if I accept it I have to withdraw from all other schools. Hope that helps.

Congratulations! Hopefully this means they got an earlier start this year. I would like to know one way or the other soon.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:56 pm

Congrats uncommon! Here's hoping tomorrow isn't too late for a scholarship essay...

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:00 pm

clone22 wrote:On the optional scholarship site, it says "In what ways will make a significant contribution to the overall diversity of our entering class?"

honestly?

I'm probably going to talk about my WE. That was also the subject of my PS, but it's really all I've got in the way of diversity...

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:15 pm

Hey just wanted to clarify, Berkeley didn't just decide to give me the money. Berkeley is one of my top choices and I had a 90000 scholarship from UVA. So I used the matching they have plus wrote the essays. I did that a couple weeks ago. And then yesterday they replied. So if you haven't done that type of stuff that's probably why you haven't heard back. I just didn't want you guys to freak out. Plus that's just merit I'm not sure when the need based aid comes out.

clone22

Postby clone22 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:17 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
clone22 wrote:Would now be far too late to send that optional scholarship interest form?

I'm wondering the same thing . . . Also, I'm not sure that I have much to say that I didn't already say somewhere else in my application.

I guess it couldn't hurt? Unless I screw something up, like usual, and then it could . . .

That was exactly my line of thinking too.
I wrote and sent out my essay last night after reading about unc0mm0n's

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:27 pm

No one has to prove anything on the internet- in that it's ok to be disbelieved because who cares, you're still right.

What I found most annoying about ASW was getting into conversations with kids who only wanted to tell me about how much money x,y, and z schools were offering them. I found it to be impolite at best and incredibly boring as a topic of bragging. I never saw any of these people show up at Boalt the following fall.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:51 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:No one has to prove anything on the internet- in that it's ok to be disbelieved because who cares, you're still right.

What I found most annoying about ASW was getting into conversations with kids who only wanted to tell me about how much money x,y, and z schools were offering them. I found it to be impolite at best and incredibly boring as a topic of bragging. I never saw any of these people show up at Boalt the following fall.

Lol actually I almost didn't believe me after looking on lsn and seeing mine was the only reported scholarship over 9000. I mean I don't have super special numbers. I figure it's just because I wrote good essays and I did the matching earlier than you guys. I just didn't want all the money to dry up.

JeremyPaul

Postby JeremyPaul » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:24 pm

I just didn't want all the money to dry up.

smart move. i think the scholarship money is first come, first serve, and i bet it runs out pretty quickly. i'm hoping there's more to go around this year, though, as the ever higher tuition gives them more money to divvy up. when boalt had super low tuition there just wasn't cash on hand for scholarships.

also, thanks for sharing about the whole matching component. that helps provides some context for what other applicants can expect.

Boggs

Postby Boggs » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:06 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:Hey just wanted to clarify, Berkeley didn't just decide to give me the money. Berkeley is one of my top choices and I had a 90000 scholarship from UVA. So I used the matching they have plus wrote the essays. I did that a couple weeks ago. And then yesterday they replied. So if you haven't done that type of stuff that's probably why you haven't heard back. I just didn't want you guys to freak out. Plus that's just merit I'm not sure when the need based aid comes out.

On your matching scholarship application, did you specify a deadline for responding to the other scholarship?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:18 am

Boggs wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:Hey just wanted to clarify, Berkeley didn't just decide to give me the money. Berkeley is one of my top choices and I had a 90000 scholarship from UVA. So I used the matching they have plus wrote the essays. I did that a couple weeks ago. And then yesterday they replied. So if you haven't done that type of stuff that's probably why you haven't heard back. I just didn't want you guys to freak out. Plus that's just merit I'm not sure when the need based aid comes out.

On your matching scholarship application, did you specify a deadline for responding to the other scholarship?

No because I sent (scanned and emailed) them the letter UVA sent me so it had all the info.

Boggs

Postby Boggs » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:20 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Boggs wrote:

No because I sent (scanned and emailed) them the letter UVA sent me so it had all the info.

You didn't use the Matching Scholarship Application form on the admitted students page?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:02 pm

I really wish I had applied to Penn or Virginia lol. Michigan waitlisted me, and I have no money offers from anywhere else on their list. Sigh.

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:43 pm

does uva just have a shit ton of cash to hand out or something? it seems like a ton of people are using them as leverage...

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:23 am

Boggs wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Boggs wrote:

You didn't use the Matching Scholarship Application form on the admitted students page?

yeah I did. I just looked at what I put down again. My scholarship deadline is blank. But I uploaded the scholarship mailing and sent it to them. I also I sent the matching statement. I don't think my UVA thing had a definite deadline so I just scanned it and uploaded it. Is this what you're asking? I hope I answered your question.

Boggs

Postby Boggs » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:59 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:yeah I did. I just looked at what I put down again. My scholarship deadline is blank. But I uploaded the scholarship mailing and sent it to them. I also I sent the matching statement. I don't think my UVA thing had a definite deadline so I just scanned it and uploaded it. Is this what you're asking? I hope I answered your question.

Yes, that answers my question. I was curious because I also left my scholarship deadline blank (for the same reason), but then I read the following on Berkeley's website:
matching scholarship applications are 'triaged' – meaning that they are reviewed in order of the deadline that the individual must respond to the other law school, not in the order the applications are received.

So that had me a bit concerned. Do you happen to know if your scholarship was from the matching application vs. from the optional scholarship interest form? While I submitted the latter after checking some boxes, I did not write an additional essay (though I did for the matching scholarship). I felt my PS provided all the necessary info. However, I'm beginning to worry that this was a mistake.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”