In at Berkeley!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jd2014!

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby jd2014! » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:37 pm

r6_philly wrote:Just got the email, login info to come later. I like the acceptance email, I also very much like the fact that they are increasing faculty by 40%. And the travel stipend.

And the "no seat deposit" thing. That's actually pretty classy. I won't say I'm not impressed.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:38 pm

r6_philly wrote:Just got the email, login info to come later. I like the acceptance email, I also very much like the fact that they are increasing faculty by 40%. And the travel stipend.

+1 to all accounts. I'm kind of surprised i'm eligible for the travel stipend, since i'm in CA, and I wonder how much it is. I will probably fly now instead of drive.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:40 pm

Knock wrote:

+1 to all accounts. I'm kind of surprised i'm eligible for the travel stipend, since i'm in CA, and I wonder how much it is. I will probably fly now instead of drive.

First class baby! Get used to being in the upper class. Now! :mrgreen:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:41 pm

jd2014! wrote:

And the "no seat deposit" thing. That's actually pretty classy. I won't say I'm not impressed.

Yes the line about "your chosen profession" makes me feel really good. It's been a pretty long and tough journey for me, and that letter hit every spot... I am very impressed to say the least.

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:43 pm

Yeah, that was easily the best acceptance email (or even letter) I've gotten thus far. And glad the travel stipend seems to be available to everyone admitted!
Last edited by mrmangs on Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:43 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:. So what does "In spring 2011, we will complete a multi-million dollar renovation project of our physical plant and add a new wing onto our facility" mean exactly. What do they mean by "physical plant" is that the law building? and they're adding a whole new wing? So Class of 2014 will be the first to get a newly renovated and expanded Boalt Hall? That's definitely appealing :D.

eskimogirl

Postby eskimogirl » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:44 pm

i really liked the email too! it's making the acceptance more real. it also makes me realize how much i appreciate the warmth and personality of boalt.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:45 pm

eskimogirl wrote:i really liked the email too! it's making the acceptance more real. it also makes me realize how much i appreciate the warmth and personality of boalt.

100% agreed. I can't wait for ASW!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:46 pm

Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:. So what does "In spring 2011, we will complete a multi-million dollar renovation project of our physical plant and add a new wing onto our facility" mean exactly. What do they mean by "physical plant" is that the law building? and they're adding a whole new wing? So Class of 2014 will be the first to get a newly renovated and expanded Boalt Hall? That's definitely appealing :D.

That's what it sounds like. I guess this will be highlighted at the ASW. Penn is finishing on a new building too, I know they are competing hard.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:47 pm

eskimogirl wrote:i really liked the email too! it's making the acceptance more real. it also makes me realize how much i appreciate the warmth and personality of boalt.

More than the cold hard crest of H? :mrgreen:

obrienfa

Postby obrienfa » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:19 pm

+1

LilMonsterAnnie

Postby LilMonsterAnnie » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:31 pm

Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:

The new LS building opened this Fall. I believe it was supposed to be an expansion of the library. There were plans to expand with another building that is supposed to be completed for the incoming class for next fall. I am not aware of what that building will house. By your statement, I am guessing faculty and classrooms.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:23 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

That's what it sounds like. I guess this will be highlighted at the ASW. Penn is finishing on a new building too, I know they are competing hard.

So is Harvard, UMichigan and Stanford. UMichigan has a site including a virtual video tour and their new building looks insanely nice. Harvard's looks pretty good too but they dont have as much info up. I believe Stanford's new building is mostly just offices and maybe clinic space but no academic areas.

More than the cold hard crest of H? :mrgreen:

Harvard has actually been, shockingly, insanely warm. I get emails from them congratulating, collecting data, and giving more info all the time. They even give you a Harvard e-mail address with your admit pack.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:05 pm

Got the email with the info to create a Calnet ID and get into the admitted site. I guess I will be messing around with this tonight!

icecreamcicle

Postby icecreamcicle » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:11 pm

r6_philly wrote:Got the email with the info to create a Calnet ID and get into the admitted site. I guess I will be messing around with this tonight!

Ditto!!! $300 for travel expenses :) I think that's so nice of them!!

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:11 pm

icecreamcicle wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Got the email with the info to create a Calnet ID and get into the admitted site. I guess I will be messing around with this tonight!

$150 for me in-state. Not bad :D. DEFINITELY attending.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:18 pm

Knock wrote:
icecreamcicle wrote:

Did you read the instructions, you have to fly to get it. Business class at least?

I am going to fly to San Jose (cheapest for me for some reason) and rent a car.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:18 pm

Looked around the website, very cool. So excited for ASW :mrgreen:.

icecreamcicle

Postby icecreamcicle » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:19 pm

this might be a silly question, but do we also need to book hotel rooms?
just looked up flights from new york to SFO :) totally doable with the stipend!

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:20 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:
icecreamcicle wrote:

Did you read the instructions, you have to fly to get it. Business class at least?

I am going to fly to San Jose (cheapest for me for some reason) and rent a car.

Yeah, I saw that. It's at least a 4 hour drive for me (plus gas expenses) so if I can fly for pretty much free I definitely will do that :mrgreen:. And I hope you will take us TLSers for a tour of Berkeley/SF in your rental car, since I will be car-less :P.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:21 pm

icecreamcicle wrote:this might be a silly question, but do we also need to book hotel rooms?

I see Philly to SJ for less than $270 while SFO/OAK is over $300. I think you are on your own when it comes to lodging. I am going to search for a hotel near where I would rent so I can check out the neighborhood.

This is so exciting!

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:23 pm

r6_philly wrote:
icecreamcicle wrote:this might be a silly question, but do we also need to book hotel rooms?

I see Philly to SJ for less than $270 while SFO/OAK is over $300. I think you are on your own when it comes to lodging. I am going to search for a hotel near where I would rent so I can check out the neighborhood.

This is so exciting!

What's the best website for checking out airfare deals?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:24 pm

Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Yeah, I saw that. It's at least a 4 hour drive for me (plus gas expenses) so if I can fly for pretty much free I definitely will do that :mrgreen:. And I hope you will take us TLSers for a tour of Berkeley/SF in your rental car, since I will be car-less :P.

Sure! I can probably drive people from the airport too. We will arrange something when it gets close. We should have a meet and greet anyway for people who are not trying to remain anonymous.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:25 pm

Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

This is so exciting!

I tried kayak.com they allow you to check all the other travel sites.

icecreamcicle

Postby icecreamcicle » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:26 pm

Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

This is so exciting!

i always use priceline as a guide to prices, then book through the actual airline. the prices tend to be the same and i've found that if you book through the airline, they're nicer to you if/when you have to change your plans :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”