In at Berkeley!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DreamShake

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby DreamShake » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:15 am

WonkyPanda wrote:Does anyone want to make a facebook group for class of 2014?

Was actually wondering this same thing earlier...so excited to legitimately join this thread :D

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:26 am

i'd make it, but im not too sure where to start.

edit: Well, I just did it.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gr ... 2887515635

All are welcome to join!

timmna

Postby timmna » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:51 am

So happy to finally be able to post here!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:16 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:i'd make it, but im not too sure where to start.

edit: Well, I just did it.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gr ... 2887515635

All are welcome to join!

Make me an admin, I am quick with the admin stuff.

updated OP with group link

aesis

Postby aesis » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:26 pm

Does this show up on the news feed if we join?

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:31 pm

aesis wrote:Does this show up on the news feed if we join?

Yeah I was wondering that too- because I've already joined one or two other class of 2014 groups and I think I am confusing my friends and family (not that I'm confused myself about where I'm going to be next year)....

aesis

Postby aesis » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:39 pm

jtemp320 wrote:

Yeah I was wondering that too- because I've already joined one or two other class of 2014 groups and I think I am confusing my friends and family (not that I'm confused myself about where I'm going to be next year)....

Just talked to a friend about it, and yeah, it shows up, and if you post on the wall I think it shows up, too. I won't be joining for awhile. I haven't told a lot of people I got in and don't really plan on doing so. Eventually though!

zmama

Postby zmama » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:53 pm

Just found this thread, am looking forward to meeting you all in April!
Anyone know of anyone who commutes to Berk from south peninsula? Have moved my kid three times in three years and don't want to do it again...

softsgalore

Postby softsgalore » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:57 pm

I did not think my 170/3.5 ass would be joining you guys, but apparently the personal statement that got me waitlisted by ten schools was good enough for Boalt. Oh my god. I AM SO GOING.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:05 pm

aesis wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:

Just talked to a friend about it, and yeah, it shows up, and if you post on the wall I think it shows up, too. I won't be joining for awhile. I haven't told a lot of people I got in and don't really plan on doing so. Eventually though!

It shows up that you join, but your post will not show up if the group is closed. This group is closed.

You can probably change your privacy setting temporarily to the highest level, join the group, then change it back lol

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:07 pm

softsgalore wrote:I did not think my 170/3.5 ass would be joining you guys, but apparently the personal statement that got me waitlisted by ten schools was good enough for Boalt. Oh my god. I AM SO GOING.

This is what Boalt admissions is for. Congrats!

champsound

Postby champsound » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:00 pm

Reading this thread makes me miss the food in Berkeley. If you go to ASW or ASD or whatever Berkeley does check out the Brazil Cafe shack, it's gotta be the best thing very close to campus and it's near the BART station. Being able to eat the tri-tip sandwich with garlic-cilantro mayo sauce is almost worth paying sticker for Boalt.

dj666

Postby dj666 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:25 pm

I'm so there. Berkeley was my #1 super secret crush throughout this cycle. I applied in September, pined quietly for months, and literally stifled a scream when I heard a voice mail from Dean Tom on my phone. This is going to be a very good year.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:18 am

softsgalore wrote:I did not think my 170/3.5 ass would be joining you guys, but apparently the personal statement that got me waitlisted by ten schools was good enough for Boalt. Oh my god. I AM SO GOING.

Love this post.

Also, TAGGING THIS THREAD!!! See y'all in April!

czelede

Postby czelede » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:10 pm

So excited to be able to legitimately post here! I will be missing both Berkeley ASW AND Penn ASW so those of you that are attending both, please take good notes :)

ETA: Does anyone have any housing recommendations for the UCB area? I have a dog, and a preliminary search of apartments has me pretty disheartened about finding a decent place.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:19 pm

I'm so excited for everyone - Congratulations!

aesis

Postby aesis » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:01 pm

Good/bad news for those of us heavily considering Cal:

Berkeley placed 45.61% of its graduates in the NLJ 250 this year
http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/goto%20l ... s_main.pdf

Bad? That it's less than 50% X_X. Not that this is justification for choosing Cornell over Berkeley, but ...

I think it's pretty good given Berkeley students tending to stay in CA whereas Cornell students typically gravitate to NYC market anyway.

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:37 pm

aesis wrote:Good/bad news for those of us heavily considering Cal:

Bad? That it's less than 50% X_X. Not that this is justification for choosing Cornell over Berkeley, but ...

I think it's pretty good given Berkeley students tending to stay in CA whereas Cornell students typically gravitate to NYC market anyway.

Thanks for posting this! I hadn't seen it yet. What day was it released (didn't see a date on the pdf)?

And I agree that this is a good showing for Berk, especially in comparison to NYU, which IMO is a better NY comparison than Cornell (re clerkships, PI/govt, etc.).

Also, does anyone know if there is a thread to debate/theorize about the new rankings yet? haha

aesis

Postby aesis » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:46 pm

Ialdabaoth wrote:

Thanks for posting this! I hadn't seen it yet. What day was it released (didn't see a date on the pdf)?

And I agree that this is a good showing for Berk, especially in comparison to NYU, which IMO is a better NY comparison than Cornell (re clerkships, PI/govt, etc.).

Also, does anyone know if there is a thread to debate/theorize about the new rankings yet? haha

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=148674
Original thread

New rankings released today, Feb. 28 2011.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:25 pm

Many firms on the west coast that pay market or near market are not large enough to be in the NLJ 250. A better breakdown would show all employment in all sectors.

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:45 pm

aesis wrote:
Ialdabaoth wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=148674
Original thread

New rankings released today, Feb. 28 2011.

Thanks, aesis! I wasn't trying to be lazy and tried searching for the new thread. Not sure how I missed it.

JeremyPaul

Postby JeremyPaul » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:53 pm

Good/bad news for those of us heavily considering Cal:

--LinkRemoved-- ... s_main.pdf

well, there are a few steps you need to take before you can accept these number at face value. most importantly, these numbers DO NOT include 3L's who accepts clerkships, a far more prestigious route that also lands you a nice clerkship bonus when you end up at a firm.

according to this viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75513, 8% of 2009 grads got federal clerkships, so i'd add that to boalt's numbers. and then there are the super fancy boutique and plaintiff side firms that pay competitive salaries but aren't considered 'Big Law'.

but i'm also not suprised that more boalties take non-traditional routes than at other T14s. makes sense that there'd also be a higher non-profit route for berkeley peeps.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:03 pm

Actually I think it's very impressive even without considering the other factors. Certainly looks like it's outperforming most peers even though NYC is not the primary market.

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:45 pm

I'm not particularly worried about it...in the relative sense, Boalt remained pretty constant throughout the last three years (6th, 9th, 7th), so it's not like the school itself has taken a nosedive. I'm a little more carefree than most in an absolute context because I would only be interested in biglaw/private sector employment as a means to pay off my loans quickly, before I jumped back to PI. Boalt's LRAP program is currently pretty awesome (and its funding is stable--mostly comes through the Professional Degree Fee), so even the thought of heading straight to PI isn't particularly foreboding. Wouldn't be surprised if NLJ250 + self-selecting PI/gov + federal clerkships (COA + district) accounted for ~70% of the class.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:58 pm

There have been lots of threads about Berkeley and biglaw, so I thought I'd post this article from Above the Law. Apparently Berkeley is in the top ten schools that send the most grads to big law. Something else to take into consideration. =)

--LinkRemoved--

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”