In at Berkeley!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sarahh
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby sarahh » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:49 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:I am in Chicago too! And it's snowing...again. Sigh.

Going back to the housing discussion, in Chicago there are lots of houses divided into two apartments, one on each floor. I'll be living alone, but I have a dog who loves to run around, so I would love access to a yard (but I can't justify/afford renting out an entire house for one person). Does anyone know if there is this type of housing anywhere around Berkeley? Or where I should look if I want a yard, however small? I'm willing to commute a bit.


In the area, there are a lot of Victorians that are divided up into apartments - not necessarily one at each floor though. I have seen several in Alameda, which also has an awesome dog park. However, the commute is a pain.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:20 pm

I was browsing the Financial Aid section, and I came across this:

During the 2011-12 and 2012-13 academic years, the proposed nonresident fees will be $54,831 and $57,573


There is no figure for 2013-14 published. I am scared - assume that we don't get residency.

By comparison, peer schools are between $45-50,000. It is entirely possible that Boalt will cost $5,000+ per year more than your other options not counting extra COL (if any).

Discuss.

somewhere
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:38 am

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby somewhere » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:23 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:I am in Chicago too! And it's snowing...again. Sigh.

Going back to the housing discussion, in Chicago there are lots of houses divided into two apartments, one on each floor. I'll be living alone, but I have a dog who loves to run around, so I would love access to a yard (but I can't justify/afford renting out an entire house for one person). Does anyone know if there is this type of housing anywhere around Berkeley? Or where I should look if I want a yard, however small? I'm willing to commute a bit.


Yes, this sort of thing can be found, and more frequently (and cheaper) outside of Berkeley. Try the north Oakland neighborhoods.

User avatar
aesis
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:26 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby aesis » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:26 pm

r6_philly wrote:I was browsing the Financial Aid section, and I came across this:

During the 2011-12 and 2012-13 academic years, the proposed nonresident fees will be $54,831 and $57,573


There is no figure for 2013-14 published. I am scared - assume that we don't get residency.

By comparison, peer schools are between $45-50,000. It is entirely possible that Boalt will cost $5,000+ per year more than your other options not counting extra COL (if any).

Discuss.


For residents, not an issue,
Berkeley Law web site wrote:The estimated fees are contingent upon projections of competitors' fees. Since 2007, Berkeley Law has limited its fee increases so that its resident fees will not exceed its policy benchmark of 90 percent of market rate. Thus, please note that fee levels are subject to change.


r6, with residency not being guaranteed it's a legitimate concern. Need-based aid changes every year, so to make a decision it would really depend on any aid distributed for 1L and you establishing CA residency for 2L and 3L. I assume it shouldn't be that hard though based on what I've heard.

BTW, this thread is pretty interesting for those of us admitted and interested in CA market:
T14 for West Coast (LA) http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102904&start=100

User avatar
WonkyPanda
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby WonkyPanda » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:46 pm

Thanks for the awesome thread linkg, aesis. It seems like a lot of useless bickering, but there is definitely some good info to take away. In the end, I have this sneaking suspicion that TLS has an east coast bias anyways. With that being said, there's no denying that SLS and Berk are powerhouses in CA.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:52 pm

aesis wrote:r6, with residency not being guaranteed it's a legitimate concern. Need-based aid changes every year, so to make a decision it would really depend on any aid distributed for 1L and you establishing CA residency for 2L and 3L. I assume it shouldn't be that hard though based on what I've heard.


The advice I got, is that I must stay in the area for 1L summer. My family will have to come back here to visit for the summer (multiple reasons). So I may have to stay away from my family for the entire summer, which would really suck. But if it means $10,000, I guess I will have to suck it up.

I hope I can get good aid. I don't know if I can or should justify paying anywhere near sticker giving the current options. I made comprehensive spreadsheet to compare school cost, and I would be paying more than $120k in present value for Boalt. But I really, really want to get out to CA. This is going to tough, they don't provide awards until ASW.

User avatar
Ialdabaoth
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby Ialdabaoth » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:05 pm

r6_philly wrote:
aesis wrote:r6, with residency not being guaranteed it's a legitimate concern. Need-based aid changes every year, so to make a decision it would really depend on any aid distributed for 1L and you establishing CA residency for 2L and 3L. I assume it shouldn't be that hard though based on what I've heard.


The advice I got, is that I must stay in the area for 1L summer. My family will have to come back here to visit for the summer (multiple reasons). So I may have to stay away from my family for the entire summer, which would really suck. But if it means $10,000, I guess I will have to suck it up.

I hope I can get good aid. I don't know if I can or should justify paying anywhere near sticker giving the current options. I made comprehensive spreadsheet to compare school cost, and I would be paying more than $120k in present value for Boalt. But I really, really want to get out to CA. This is going to tough, they don't provide awards until ASW.


So, this might be an ignorant question, but I'm not sure where to look for the answer: When you say you have to stay in the area for 1L summer, does that include working somewhere outside of CA? For instance, if I went to Berkeley and got an Edley Grant for a PI position in DC or NYC, would that prevent me from getting resident tuition 2L and 3L? TIA!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:13 pm

Ialdabaoth wrote:So, this might be an ignorant question, but I'm not sure where to look for the answer: When you say you have to stay in the area for 1L summer, does that include working somewhere outside of CA? For instance, if I went to Berkeley and got an Edley Grant for a PI position in DC or NYC, would that prevent me from getting resident tuition 2L and 3L? TIA!


It was told to me that if you leave CA for the summer it will be hard to get residency, unless you are doing something that is not available in CA. Makes sense. If you are helping Haiti, then it can probably be explained away. If you are going to intern for the NYC law department, then maybe not. If I go do something where I come from (in Philly) - probably not.

Please feel free to correct me if I was misinformed.

User avatar
Ialdabaoth
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby Ialdabaoth » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:28 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Ialdabaoth wrote:So, this might be an ignorant question, but I'm not sure where to look for the answer: When you say you have to stay in the area for 1L summer, does that include working somewhere outside of CA? For instance, if I went to Berkeley and got an Edley Grant for a PI position in DC or NYC, would that prevent me from getting resident tuition 2L and 3L? TIA!


It was told to me that if you leave CA for the summer it will be hard to get residency, unless you are doing something that is not available in CA. Makes sense. If you are helping Haiti, then it can probably be explained away. If you are going to intern for the NYC law department, then maybe not. If I go do something where I come from (in Philly) - probably not.

Please feel free to correct me if I was misinformed.


Oh, I don't have any basis from which to correct you, but I would hope you and your source are wrong, haha. I'm just curious. And for me this is all some incredible speculation since I probably can't get into Boalt anyways, haha (although I'd probably have a good shot at UCLA and USC, where I suppose the same thing applies).

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:33 pm

Ialdabaoth wrote:Oh, I don't have any basis from which to correct you, but I would hope you and your source are wrong, haha. I'm just curious. And for me this is all some incredible speculation since I probably can't get into Boalt anyways, haha (although I'd probably have a good shot at UCLA and USC, where I suppose the same thing applies).


I just didn't want to sound like I know it for sure, since I was told by someone else. This residency business is tricky, that's why I didn't want to count that as a certainty. Well good luck with admission! I know a lot of us are extremely excited about getting in (I went and visited as soon as I could) but the price is getting scary, especially compared to other choices. Having resident rate would really help, but no guarantees.

User avatar
Ialdabaoth
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby Ialdabaoth » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:53 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Ialdabaoth wrote:Oh, I don't have any basis from which to correct you, but I would hope you and your source are wrong, haha. I'm just curious. And for me this is all some incredible speculation since I probably can't get into Boalt anyways, haha (although I'd probably have a good shot at UCLA and USC, where I suppose the same thing applies).


I just didn't want to sound like I know it for sure, since I was told by someone else. This residency business is tricky, that's why I didn't want to count that as a certainty. Well good luck with admission! I know a lot of us are extremely excited about getting in (I went and visited as soon as I could) but the price is getting scary, especially compared to other choices. Having resident rate would really help, but no guarantees.


Thanks, r6! I would be absolutely ecstatic if I got in next year. The more research I do, the more confident I get that Boalt (or maybe NYU) would be perfect for me and what I want to do. I agree, that there's some sticker shock, but I'm slightly less concerned because Boalt has an excellent LRAP for people who really want to stick with PI for 10+ years.

User avatar
helloperson
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby helloperson » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:59 pm

Residency: maintain a physical presence in the state and intend to return. You do NOT lose residency for 1L summer unless you do not maintain physical presence (this could be as little as listing your parent's address as your permanent address, or keeping your name on a lease for a place you're subletting), since it's pretty obvious you intend to return. I don't know what is required of OOS people without a permanent CA address, though.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:01 am

helloperson wrote:Residency: maintain a physical presence in the state and intend to return. You do NOT lose residency for 1L summer unless you do not maintain physical presence (this could be as little as listing your parent's address as your permanent address, or keeping your name on a lease for a place you're subletting), since it's pretty obvious you intend to return. I don't know what is required of OOS people without a permanent CA address, though.


I don't think CA residents will lose. I am questioning gaining by OOS, which is paramount considering the sticker for OOS. But unlike UVa, I can't afford to buy a house.

User avatar
helloperson
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby helloperson » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:50 am

r6_philly wrote:
helloperson wrote:Residency: maintain a physical presence in the state and intend to return. You do NOT lose residency for 1L summer unless you do not maintain physical presence (this could be as little as listing your parent's address as your permanent address, or keeping your name on a lease for a place you're subletting), since it's pretty obvious you intend to return. I don't know what is required of OOS people without a permanent CA address, though.


I don't think CA residents will lose. I am questioning gaining by OOS, which is paramount considering the sticker for OOS. But unlike UVa, I can't afford to buy a house.


Keep your name on the lease of wherever you are renting, and that should be plenty.

cornellbeez
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:43 am

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby cornellbeez » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:18 pm

helloperson wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
helloperson wrote:Residency: maintain a physical presence in the state and intend to return. You do NOT lose residency for 1L summer unless you do not maintain physical presence (this could be as little as listing your parent's address as your permanent address, or keeping your name on a lease for a place you're subletting), since it's pretty obvious you intend to return. I don't know what is required of OOS people without a permanent CA address, though.


I don't think CA residents will lose. I am questioning gaining by OOS, which is paramount considering the sticker for OOS. But unlike UVa, I can't afford to buy a house.


Keep your name on the lease of wherever you are renting, and that should be plenty.


This is anecdotal, but I know someone who kept his name on the lease, but worked OOS 1L summer, and got denied residency.
They will ask what you did/where you worked during the summer. You have to WORK IN CALIFORNIA during 1L summer to have a shot at residency. Otherwise, it defeats the purpose of the residency requirement considering most leases are year leases anyway.

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby bilbobaggins » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:36 pm

Here's what I've seen with residency:

If you're a Cal resident when you enter you cannot lose that residency status during your 3 years at Boalt.

If you come in as a non-resident and work in Cal your 1L summer, you are essentially guaranteed residency as long as you change your driver's license, register to vote, etc.. Even if you stay as a 1L, you can have issues as Cal state law requires you show your intent to become a resident.

If you don't work in Cal your 1L summer, you need to stay in Cal over winter/fall/thanksgiving/spring break and be able to prove that you did (e.g. cc receipts from local stores). I'm not sure exactly what the details are on this.

You're a resident if you graduated from a Cal high school, but then went somewhere else in between.

http://registrar.berkeley.edu/Residency/legalinfo.html

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:39 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:If you don't work in Cal your 1L summer, you need to stay in Cal over winter/fall/thanksgiving/spring break and be able to prove that you did (e.g. cc receipts from local stores). I'm not sure exactly what the details are on this.


So if you work the summer, you can leave during holidays? Or is it a safe bet to just stay put.

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby bilbobaggins » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:40 pm

r6_philly wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:If you don't work in Cal your 1L summer, you need to stay in Cal over winter/fall/thanksgiving/spring break and be able to prove that you did (e.g. cc receipts from local stores). I'm not sure exactly what the details are on this.


So if you work the summer, you can leave during holidays? Or is it a safe bet to just stay put.


In my experience, if you work for the summer there is no issue with leaving for holidays, but I'm not a Cal official, so it's always good to check.

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:41 pm

r6_philly wrote:
aesis wrote:r6, with residency not being guaranteed it's a legitimate concern. Need-based aid changes every year, so to make a decision it would really depend on any aid distributed for 1L and you establishing CA residency for 2L and 3L. I assume it shouldn't be that hard though based on what I've heard.


The advice I got, is that I must stay in the area for 1L summer. My family will have to come back here to visit for the summer (multiple reasons). So I may have to stay away from my family for the entire summer, which would really suck. But if it means $10,000, I guess I will have to suck it up.

I hope I can get good aid. I don't know if I can or should justify paying anywhere near sticker giving the current options. I made comprehensive spreadsheet to compare school cost, and I would be paying more than $120k in present value for Boalt. But I really, really want to get out to CA. This is going to tough, they don't provide awards until ASW.


+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:42 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000


Welcome to the same boat! I hope it works out.

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:50 pm

r6_philly wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000


Welcome to the same boat! I hope it works out.


I figured you're my boat mate that's why I wrote what I wrote in the Texas thread. :D

somewhere
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:38 am

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby somewhere » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:09 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:You're a resident if you graduated from a Cal high school, but then went somewhere else in between.


Seriously? Regardless of interval? Like, even if you (as I did) graduated from a California high school 10+ years ago and have lived in other places since then, and have out-of-state license and voter registration at the time of your (triumphant) return?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:10 pm

somewhere wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:You're a resident if you graduated from a Cal high school, but then went somewhere else in between.


Seriously? Regardless of interval? Like, even if you (as I did) graduated from a California high school 10+ years ago and have lived in other places since then, and have out-of-state license and voter registration at the time of your (triumphant) return?


Yes, it's a state law I believe. It's a shame I didn't graduate.

somewhere
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:38 am

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby somewhere » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:19 pm

r6_philly wrote:
somewhere wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:You're a resident if you graduated from a Cal high school, but then went somewhere else in between.


Seriously? Regardless of interval? Like, even if you (as I did) graduated from a California high school 10+ years ago and have lived in other places since then, and have out-of-state license and voter registration at the time of your (triumphant) return?


Yes, it's a state law I believe. It's a shame I didn't graduate.


Awesome. Well, I hope they call me then! (Still UR 1/10, no call, no email, no committee.)

User avatar
WonkyPanda
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby WonkyPanda » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:02 am

Does anyone want to make a facebook group for class of 2014?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”