In at Berkeley!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bhan87

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby bhan87 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:43 pm

aesis wrote:Got the login email for those of us admitted 1/24. Wee!

Same here!

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:50 pm

+1 on the login info!

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:56 pm

+2 for the email

BTW: Don't freak out if you're hanging on "creating ID". It literally took me 4 minutes with my little spinning circle in my safari tab.
Last edited by WonkyPanda on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

champsound

Postby champsound » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:57 pm

On the admitted students website. lol at "Undergrad not received" for transcripts on the list. Let me go ahead and waste 10 bucks to send a transcript from one room on campus to another room on campus.

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:04 pm

So.. we paid LSAC to send all our UG transcripts and now we need to pay to send them again to the campus? /facepalm

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:16 pm

This is to ensure all people actually receives a bachelors before enrolling. I'd wait until you decide where to go. Every school require a direct transcript. Some even require a dean's certification.

moneko

Postby moneko » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:18 pm

Last edited by moneko on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

juliachild-ish

Postby juliachild-ish » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:23 pm

I also finalllllly got my admitted students login (admitted 1/19). Creating my username and passphrase went fine, but then when I tried to actually log in, it said "You don't have access to this portion of the website. If you believe this is an error, please contact admissions@law.berkeley.edu". So I guess I'll email them. It's just aggravating because I already waited two weeks for the email and still can't log in!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:29 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:I also finalllllly got my admitted students login (admitted 1/19). Creating my username and passphrase went fine, but then when I tried to actually log in, it said "You don't have access to this portion of the website. If you believe this is an error, please contact admissions@law.berkeley.edu". So I guess I'll email them. It's just aggravating because I already waited two weeks for the email and still can't log in!

Many earlier admits had the same problem. Give it a little time. I found that if I 1. close browser then restart it, 2. go to admissions website then the link to admitted site 3. log on using that log in, it worked most of the time. But if you time out you would have to start the 1-2-3 again. Then once your credentials propagate through the site with time, everything worked fine. So if you can't get it to work, it probably will be fine tomorrow.

dot

Postby dot » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:31 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:+2 for the email

BTW: Don't freak out if you're hanging on "creating ID". It literally took me 4 minutes with my little spinning circle in my safari tab.

waiting...

juliachild-ish

Postby juliachild-ish » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:32 pm

Thanks for the reassurance, r6_philly! I think I just keep having this paranoid suspicion that, even though I got my admitted packet in the mail and everything, it was actually a mistake and I'm not in...

I'll give it some time.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:40 pm

dot wrote:
WonkyPanda wrote:+2 for the email

waiting...

yeah it takes a while. took me a while too.

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:22 pm

I know it was mentioned as possible for last year, but it doesn't seem possible to order plane tickets through the student website. It seems that this year the only way to get reimbursement is by taking a copy of your itinerary to ASW.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:53 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:I know it was mentioned as possible for last year, but it doesn't seem possible to order plane tickets through the student website. It seems that this year the only way to get reimbursement is by taking a copy of your itinerary to ASW.

It says to contact them if you have trouble booking. So I guess you should email and ask.

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:14 pm

r6_philly wrote:
WonkyPanda wrote:I know it was mentioned as possible for last year, but it doesn't seem possible to order plane tickets through the student website. It seems that this year the only way to get reimbursement is by taking a copy of your itinerary to ASW.

It says to contact them if you have trouble booking. So I guess you should email and ask.

Oh, well it's not problem for me to do it that way. I just remember some people being curious if they can book the tickets through the ASW website so I looked into it.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:36 pm

Wanted to let everyone know today's weather at 330pm on February 5th: 74 degrees outside and sunny.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:34 am

bilbobaggins wrote:Wanted to let everyone know today's weather at 330pm on February 5th: 74 degrees outside and sunny.

I could use some of that in Chicago.

juliachild-ish

Postby juliachild-ish » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:02 am

I am in Chicago too! And it's snowing...again. Sigh.

Going back to the housing discussion, in Chicago there are lots of houses divided into two apartments, one on each floor. I'll be living alone, but I have a dog who loves to run around, so I would love access to a yard (but I can't justify/afford renting out an entire house for one person). Does anyone know if there is this type of housing anywhere around Berkeley? Or where I should look if I want a yard, however small? I'm willing to commute a bit.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:44 am

juliachild-ish wrote:I am in Chicago too! And it's snowing...again. Sigh.

Going back to the housing discussion, in Chicago there are lots of houses divided into two apartments, one on each floor. I'll be living alone, but I have a dog who loves to run around, so I would love access to a yard (but I can't justify/afford renting out an entire house for one person). Does anyone know if there is this type of housing anywhere around Berkeley? Or where I should look if I want a yard, however small? I'm willing to commute a bit.

It's snowing where you're at????? hmm are you in the burbs or Chicago? I'm in the city and I was alarmed cause I thought I'd had to dig my car out but nothing happening over here.

GinaTheresa

Postby GinaTheresa » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:02 am

Yep, snowing on Chicago's northside. Again. (Sorry to derail the thread.) This winter is going to send so many applicants to the west coast.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:16 pm

GinaTheresa wrote:Yep, snowing on Chicago's northside. Again. (Sorry to derail the thread.) This winter is going to send so many applicants to the west coast.

They are forecasting more of the same for the next couple of winters.

I have all the potential cites' weather programmed in my phone. Everyday when I see those 10-20 range in Ann Arbor I get scared.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:52 pm

GinaTheresa wrote:Yep, snowing on Chicago's northside. Again. (Sorry to derail the thread.) This winter is going to send so many applicants to the west coast.

now it's snowing on the southside :(.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:58 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:

At least it takes turns? :lol:

juliachild-ish

Postby juliachild-ish » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:

At least it takes turns? :lol:

Nope, it's snowing on the northside too! Snow for everyone! Ugh...

aesis

Postby aesis » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:13 pm

Anyone up to create a pros/cons list that is as objective as possible for Berkeley? I think it'd be nice to have a list of factors for quick reference ... I can start:

Cons
Career/Academics
- EC biglaw placement statistically lower than peer schools
- 2010 OCIP was dismal (thoughts?)
- CA legal markets doing poorly (relative to NYC)
- non-Ivy
- public school (bureaucracy/resources)
- 2010 LSAT median decrease (possible USNWR ranking decrease)
- grading system (hurts those at median)

Quality of Life/Cost of Attendance
- high COL
- expensive for non-residents
- tuition increases in 2012-2013
- Berkeley culture (subjective)
- stingy with merit aid/matching

Pros
Career/Academics
- CA biglaw placement/networking
- grading system (for non-median students)
- relaxed atmosphere (probably due to grading system/CA culture)
- Berkeley prestige
- strong public interest
- #1 in IP
- brand new facilities (Spring 2011)

Quality of Life/Cost of Attendance
- COA for CA residents cheaper than peer schools
- public school (for those who receive VA benefits)
- Berkeley culture (subjective)
- weather unrivaled in T14 (Stanford gets too hot)
- one of the best LRAPs (cap at 60k + IBR until 100k)
- most students get some need-based aid
- easy to establish residency for 2L, 3L (not guaranteed)

That's all I can think of right now. I was thinking of things in relation to its peer schools and maybe those above it (CCN).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”