In at Berkeley!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
WonkyPanda

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby WonkyPanda » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:29 pm

Thanks for the awesome feedback! I'll definitely PM you if I have any other questions.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:07 am

Beware of any of the "chain" apartments in Berkeley. They are generally overpriced for the market, small and generally have horrible management. I would Yelp and of these places before I thought about living in one.

Somewhere had some great Oakland advice. I live in the Temescal neighborhood of Oakland, which also borders South Berkeley. My neighborhood is nicer than many parts of South Berkeley. It's also cheaper and just as convenient (as it's on more bus lines and right near BART). I can bike, bus or drive to school all in about 10 to 20 minutes from where I live, yet I don't pay Berkeley prices and the bars/restaurants are generally better than most in Berkeley.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:17 pm

It feels so great to post in this thread and not just stalk it :D

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:03 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:It feels so great to post in this thread and not just stalk it :D

Congrats! And nice tar! :)

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:08 pm

I love Rockridge - mmm, chocolate milk from Bittersweet - but it is also one of the more expensive areas in Oakland. I would definitely avoid East Oakland, maybe West Oakland too. I went with my mother to visit the law school a few weeks ago, and I was surprised at how long it took us to walk there. The campus is next to the BART, but the law school itself is not that close. Maybe I am just lazy and a slow walker.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:09 pm

mrmangs wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:It feels so great to post in this thread and not just stalk it :D

Thanks, you like blackstar?

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:13 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
mrmangs wrote:

Yep. 8)

dot

Postby dot » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:50 pm

sarahh wrote:I love Rockridge - mmm, chocolate milk from Bittersweet - but it is also one of the more expensive areas in Oakland. I would definitely avoid East Oakland, maybe West Oakland too. I went with my mother to visit the law school a few weeks ago, and I was surprised at how long it took us to walk there. The campus is next to the BART, but the law school itself is not that close. Maybe I am just lazy and a slow walker.

Well it *is* uphill... I found cutting through campus to be considerably more enjoyable than following the roads.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:16 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
mrmangs wrote:

Thieves in the Night :) good song.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:59 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
mrmangs wrote:

Thieves in the Night :) good song.

Correction. Great song. I might have to hang out with you and Mr mangs during asw.

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:25 am

I called them about the login info and they said they had a server glitch that caused new login names to not be generated properly. They told me to look for the login email sometime this week.

aesis

Postby aesis » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:53 am

Thanks! Been wondering when that email would come.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:30 am

if anyone's looking for a place, heard that new cal apartments are nice - in good part of Berkeley, near great restaurants, and over a trader joes. friend's view from roof is amazing. thought of it because I just drove by and sign on side of building had their website:
http://www.newcalapartments.com

akikaze

Postby akikaze » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:47 am

gymboree wrote:if anyone's looking for a place, heard that new cal apartments are nice - in good part of Berkeley, near great restaurants, and over a trader joes. friend's view from roof is amazing. thought of it because I just drove by and sign on side of building had their website:

Those rents are bordering on what you'd pay in for a decent 1br/2br San Francisco proper in a respectable location; look around and share if you have to for half that price (at most).

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:57 pm

gymboree wrote:if anyone's looking for a place, heard that new cal apartments are nice - in good part of Berkeley, near great restaurants, and over a trader joes. friend's view from roof is amazing. thought of it because I just drove by and sign on side of building had their website:

Yeah, it's hard to imagine any location in downtown Berkeley worth that much. 3br/2bath with garage in new townhouses in Temescal runs around $2300-$2600 total.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:02 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:I called them about the login info and they said they had a server glitch that caused new login names to not be generated properly. They told me to look for the login email sometime this week.

Thanks for the info! I was getting a bit worried too.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:22 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:

Yeah, it's hard to imagine any location in downtown Berkeley worth that much. 3br/2bath with garage in new townhouses in Temescal runs around $2300-$2600 total.

2300/ split three ways doesn't sound bad at all.

akikaze

Postby akikaze » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:25 pm

I was paying $1,000 for a decent-sized, fairly nice studio two blocks away from Boalt when I was an undergrad. $1100 including parking. Berkeley rents aren't *that* high and I would argue that being close to Boalt is worth a few extra hundred a month -- particularly for the privilege of being able to go to Caffè Strada whenever you want. =]

aesis

Postby aesis » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:38 pm

I went to undergrad in LA so I'm unwilling to pay more than $800 for my own room, whether in a 2br or a house. Single sure, studio sure; both would be more $, but that's not what I'm going for.

Is < $800 feasible for your own room in a location close to campus?

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:50 pm

aesis wrote:I went to undergrad in LA so I'm unwilling to pay more than $800 for my own room, whether in a 2br or a house. Single sure, studio sure; both would be more $, but that's not what I'm going for.

Define close.

Most law students who aren't in University housing don't live within half a mile of Boalt simply because most of the housing in that zone is overpriced and slummy for what you can get outside of that zone.

champsound

Postby champsound » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:53 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
aesis wrote:I went to undergrad in LA so I'm unwilling to pay more than $800 for my own room, whether in a 2br or a house. Single sure, studio sure; both would be more $, but that's not what I'm going for.

Define close.

Most law students who aren't in University housing don't live within half a mile of Boalt simply because most of the housing in that zone is overpriced and slummy for what you can get outside of that zone.

That sounds right. You can definitely find something (<800 and close), and it will definitely be slummy.

aesis

Postby aesis » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:01 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:

Define close.

Close as in 20-25 minutes door to door, walking?

champsound

Postby champsound » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:03 pm

aesis wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:

Define close.

Close as in 20-25 minutes door to door, walking?

10-15 minutes, but probably uphill getting there.

aesis

Postby aesis » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:06 pm

Meh, I guess I'll ask my 1L and 3L friends there since they went to my UG too and can give me some comparisons. Thanks though. When I visited Cal I was perturbed at how crappy the housing was in contrast. Maybe I was just in a bad area.

aesis

Postby aesis » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:41 pm

Got the login email for those of us admitted 1/24. Wee!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”