In at Berkeley!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:25 pm

I don't think it's about "financial independence" literally. I think they except that it is your (family's) obligation to meet some of the need, unlike in UG. The only waivers/exempts I have seen are for legal estrangement. They don't care if you receive support or not, they want to count a percentage of income/assets as your problem/contribution. I didn't really have to apply for waiver because I am over 30, but that's just what I got out of talking to fin aid at different places.

juliachild-ish

Postby juliachild-ish » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:01 am

Okay, kind of silly question, but...I got in 01/19 and have yet to receive my email with the admitted students login information. Does it usually take a long time to come? Or should I contact them? Thanks!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:29 am

juliachild-ish wrote:Okay, kind of silly question, but...I got in 01/19 and have yet to receive my email with the admitted students login information. Does it usually take a long time to come? Or should I contact them? Thanks!

I think they send them out in batches, so give it sometime. Of course if you are really anxious to read it, email them. It involves setting up a Cal user account, so I presume they auto-generate it in batches to save work.

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:00 pm

Yeah still haven't got my log in either. Probably will email them in a few days if nothing turns up. Does it come in an email?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:18 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:Yeah still haven't got my log in either. Probably will email them in a few days if nothing turns up. Does it come in an email?

2 emails. One with ID one with password IIRC.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:06 pm

I just received my official letter from Berkeley, which mentions that I should have already received an email with my log information. Has this happened to anyone else?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:08 pm

bhan87 wrote:I just received my official letter from Berkeley, which mentions that I should have already received an email with my log information. Has this happened to anyone else?

They are supposed to show in your status checker. My login info email was sent 4 days after the decision letter was mailed.

forward

Postby forward » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:30 pm

Is anyone else very leery of Boalt due to UC & Cali budget issues? I'd love living out in SF and attending Boalt, but the stingy aid + likely tuition jumps might be enough to scare me away.

Insight/thoughts appreciated. :)

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:44 pm

forward wrote:Is anyone else very leery of Boalt due to UC & Cali budget issues? I'd love living out in SF and attending Boalt, but the stingy aid + likely tuition jumps might be enough to scare me away.

Insight/thoughts appreciated. :)

This has been discussed multiple times over multiple threads. With a post count this high, you just look like a troll.

Use the search function.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:01 pm

Or just read this thread a few pages back.

dot

Postby dot » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:50 pm

r6_philly wrote:
bhan87 wrote:I just received my official letter from Berkeley, which mentions that I should have already received an email with my log information. Has this happened to anyone else?

They are supposed to show in your status checker. My login info email was sent 4 days after the decision letter was mailed.

Got my decision on 1/19. I have also received the hard-copy and another email about enviro law. But nothing in the way of ASW login.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:00 pm

dot wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Got my decision on 1/19. I have also received the hard-copy and another email about enviro law. But nothing in the way of ASW login.

I think I said a couple of pages back, I think they batch those. So if you don't see the 2 emails with your login info on the checker, they haven't processed/sent it.

dot

Postby dot » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:26 pm

r6_philly wrote:
dot wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I think I said a couple of pages back, I think they batch those. So if you don't see the 2 emails with your login info on the checker, they haven't processed/sent it.

Yea, I'm not too worried about it - especially with all the other waiting going on!

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:57 pm

Hey guys!

I didn't know this thread existed and I feel stupid for not searching it :oops: Anywho, I am ecstatic that I got in because I felt that my numbers, especially my gpa, were far too weak for Berk. My heart was set on getting into USC or LA and staying within So-Cal. Now that Berk has me, it's going to take a lot of $$$ from another school to take me away from Berk.

Count me in for an ASW get-together! It would be fun to at least meet some people we know through the interwebs to get our foot into the social scene at ASW. Rumor has it r6 is buying us all a round... just kidding. :lol:

I am still waiting on my login and it's a painful wait. I might get anxious and just call them tomorrow and see what's up. I doubt they'll mind a good ol' call on what's going down. :P

To r6 or anyone else well versed in it, what exactly does IP law encompass? I was always under the assumption that IP law almost always required some sort of background in engineering. Researching it a bit, it only seems that issues related to patents require a background in engineering. With that said, what more is there to do in IP besides patents? Is there a good market for IP law that doesn't require engineering and focusing on patents?

Anyways, GO BEARS!

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:01 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:Hey guys!

I didn't know this thread existed and I feel stupid for not searching it :oops: Anywho, I am ecstatic that I got in because I felt that my numbers, especially my gpa, were far too weak for Berk. My heart was set on getting into USC or LA and staying within So-Cal. Now that Berk has me, it's going to take a lot of $$$ from another school to take me away from Berk.

Count me in for an ASW get-together! It would be fun to at least me some people we know through the interwebs to get our foot into the social scene at ASW. Rumor has it r6 is buying us all a round... just kidding.

I am still waiting on my login and it's a painful wait. I might get anxious and just call them tomorrow and see what's up. I doubt they'll mind a good ol' call on what's going down.

To r6 or anyone else well versed in it, what exactly does IP law encompass? I was always under the assumption that IP law almost always required some sort of background in engineering. Researching it a bit, it only seems that issues related to patents require a background in engineering. With that said, what more is there to do in IP besides patents? Is there a good market for IP law that doesn't require engineering and focusing on patents?

Anyways, GO BEARS!

Obviously anything that is considered intellectual property is covered by this field. Google "intellectual property." it includes patents, copyrights, trademarks, industry secrets, industrial processes, and all sorts of fun little things. The biggest issue you would likely be familiar with is the pirating of songs and movies.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:01 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:Hey guys!

Count me in for an ASW get-together! It would be fun to at least me some people we know through the interwebs to get our foot into the social scene at ASW. Rumor has it r6 is buying us all a round... just kidding.

I am still waiting on my login and it's a painful wait. I might get anxious and just call them tomorrow and see what's up. I doubt they'll mind a good ol' call on what's going down.

Anyways, GO BEARS!

Welcome and congrats! I am actually only using IP because that's a general subfield. I am really only interested in Tech/Internet/Cyberlaw, if I can be that focused. I don't know if I really have the background for patent so others can better answer. I am more suited for copyright privacy, e-commerce, online financial transaction, etc. so not really, truly a science/engineering guy.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:10 pm

Additionally, one of the common TLS misconceptions is that if you don't have a hard science or engineering background, then you cannot go into IP.

This is not the case, especially if you're coming from Boalt.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:14 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:Additionally, one of the common TLS misconceptions is that if you don't have a hard science or engineering background, then you cannot go into IP.

This is not the case, especially if you're coming from Boalt.

This is true, I have come across a good amount of IP practitioners who have non-science UG degrees. I presume if you can do well in the right classes you should be fine. having the background should help giving you a leg up though.

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:14 pm

Well, most people scoff at psychology as a pseudoscience so my UG is a non-science degree :P

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:16 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:Well, most people scoff at psychology as a pseudoscience so my UG is a non-science degree :P

My wife is majoring in psychology, so you are ok with me :)

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:24 pm

Anyone have any advice on apartments or where to hunt? I saw that website with Berkeleyan, Gaia, etc and it looked pretty decent. I'd love to live within walking distance of the campus but a 2-5mi distance doesn't hurt. I imagine most the places, like Westwood, are severely overpriced and tiny.

aesis

Postby aesis » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:27 pm

I dug up some things from a search a few days ago but for anyone inquiring about "demonstrating financial independence" it looks like if you haven't been living on your own for at least five years you'll be SOL and your parents' income will be factored into aid :(

With my numbers I doubt I'd get enough $ from other schools (non-HYS) to draw me away from Berkeley. Any $ I get I'd probably use as matching leverage. For me it'll come down to NYU if accepted, and even then NYC weather is a huge drawback for me. I also want to live in CA afterward and do IP.

Everything is decided if Stanford accepts me though (long shot). Getting more and more enthusiastic about Cal and staying in CA. December/January has been sooo wonderful weather-wise.

somewhere

Postby somewhere » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:04 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:Anyone have any advice on apartments or where to hunt? I saw that website with Berkeleyan, Gaia, etc and it looked pretty decent. I'd love to live within walking distance of the campus but a 2-5mi distance doesn't hurt. I imagine most the places, like Westwood, are severely overpriced and tiny.

If you're willing to go a couple miles away you'll find better stuff for less. I recommend the Rockridge area of Oakland (or anywhere within a short walk from the Rockridge BART station), which, depending on exactly where you find a place, is probably going to be about 2 miles from campus. Easy commute by bicycle, or a bit long but doable as a walk.

For that matter, if you're willing to take BART you could live basically anywhere in the Bay Area near a station. the Cal campus is right by the Downtown Berkeley station.

P.S. I don't live there now but I'm from there originally.

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Now, excuse my ignorance, but when someone says Oakland I envision a place that is boarded up with gangs fighting over turf and drug deals on the corner of every street. I imagine Oakland has the "nice" parts and "bad" parts. Is rockridge a safe neighborhood?

somewhere

Postby somewhere » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:22 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:Now, excuse my ignorance, but when someone says Oakland I envision a place that is boarded up with gangs fighting over turf and drug deals on the corner of every street. I imagine Oakland has the "nice" parts and "bad" parts. Is rockridge a safe neighborhood?

Oakland borders Berkeley to the south, and Rockridge is right at that border. Right near that border on either side, you probably can't tell which side you're on. If you go far enough south down, say, Telegraph Ave, eventually it does indeed turn into a ghetto, but that's not the case for Oakland in general. Oakland is awesome. I'd rather live in Oakland than Berkeley. Think of Oakland as like Brooklyn. There are rough parts, and hip parts, and you usually get more bang for your buck there. Rockridge in particular is very hip, very safe, lots of young people, families, etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockridge, ... California

Feel free to PM me if you're curious about a particular neighborhood or something.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”