In at Berkeley!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:31 pm

In light of the planned budget cuts, I want to start a discussion:

How many of you will be willing to pay sticker knowing that tuition may increase by 10% or more for 2L/3L?

How do you feel about Berkeley's value and offerings compared to other, more stable peer schools?

I am not going to lie, I like Berkeley a LOT. But quantitatively, how much is that extra like worth? $15k a year over MVP? I want to hear some opinions.

sarcasticswede

Postby sarcasticswede » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:38 pm

r6_philly wrote:In light of the planned budget cuts, I want to start a discussion:

How many of you will be willing to pay sticker knowing that tuition may increase by 10% or more for 2L/3L?

How do you feel about Berkeley's value and offerings compared to other, more stable peer schools?

I am not going to lie, I like Berkeley a LOT. But quantitatively, how much is that extra like worth? $15k a year over MVP? I want to hear some opinions.

I'm probably living at home if I'm at B, so that means I'm already saving roughly as much as the increase by not having to pay COL. So for me, it's sort of a no brainer. Plus at B if you score a TA job during 2L or 3L your tuition gets essentially cut in half (maybe I can finally put my Swedish language knowledge to use doing something other than thoroughly confusing Ikea employees by pronouncing the furniture names correctly).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:51 pm

sarcasticswede wrote:
r6_philly wrote:In light of the planned budget cuts, I want to start a discussion:

I'm probably living at home if I'm at B, so that means I'm already saving roughly as much as the increase by not having to pay COL. So for me, it's sort of a no brainer. Plus at B if you score a TA job during 2L or 3L your tuition gets essentially cut in half (maybe I can finally put my Swedish language knowledge to use doing something other than thoroughly confusing Ikea employees by pronouncing the furniture names correctly).

I did inquire about TAing. What's the low down on that? How hard is it and what kind of courses? I have a few years or non-credit teaching experiences. I know I can help teach CS and Public Admin courses. I was planning on looking for teaching gigs at community colleges, but a tuition waiver would be ideal.

I am just in the opposite position. I can stay at home for Penn and save lots on costs. But I do like Berkeley and want to make it work. I will probably be able to keep my current job or become an part-time instructor at my UG and CC so money wise it is favoring Penn heavily.

sarcasticswede

Postby sarcasticswede » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:04 pm

r6_philly wrote:
sarcasticswede wrote:

I did inquire about TAing. What's the low down on that? How hard is it and what kind of courses? I have a few years or non-credit teaching experiences. I know I can help teach CS and Public Admin courses. I was planning on looking for teaching gigs at community colleges, but a tuition waiver would be ideal.

I am just in the opposite position. I can stay at home for Penn and save lots on costs. But I do like Berkeley and want to make it work. I will probably be able to keep my current job or become an part-time instructor at my UG and CC so money wise it is favoring Penn heavily.

My understanding regarding the TA jobs is that it's one of those things where they post the job as open but they really already know who they are hiring, so ask around early.

aredhello

Postby aredhello » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:12 pm

Am feeling torn by this as well. I am committed to public interest law so the LRAP seems to work for me, but the income cap seems low for when I'm 7-10 years out of law school.

I know a number of PI folks currently at Berkeley who love it, and I think I would as well -- but if I decide not to take my chances with LRAP and end up getting nothing from them, I may just go with the highest bidder in the T15 (note that I said T15 because I received a generous offer from UCLA and I really like their Epstein and critical race studies programs). Given my interests, prestige/rank may not play as big of a factor in landing a fulfilling position after graduation.

In a strictly side-by-side comparison, I think Berkeley does have an edge over other peer schools, but honestly, if Penn offers you a sizable scholarship (at least $15K/year), I would just stay put. I do not think that Berkeley is worth the sticker price over Penn with scholarship money and the savings associated with staying put, even if Berkeley has a better rep. in your specialty and even if you think you'd be quite happy there. It seems like you'd be perfectly fine staying in Philly as well and I doubt that your job prospects would suffer in any sort of measurable way.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:20 pm

aredhello wrote:Am feeling torn by this as well. I am committed to public interest law so the LRAP seems to work for me, but the income cap seems low for when I'm 7-10 years out of law school.

I know a number of PI folks currently at Berkeley who love it, and I think I would as well -- but if I decide not to take my chances with LRAP and end up getting nothing from them, I may just go with the highest bidder in the T15 (note that I said T15 because I received a generous offer from UCLA and I really like their Epstein and critical race studies programs). Given my interests, prestige/rank may not play as big of a factor in landing a fulfilling position after graduation.

In a strictly side-by-side comparison, I think Berkeley does have an edge over other peer schools, but honestly, if Penn offers you a sizable scholarship (at least $15K/year), I would just stay put. I do not think that Berkeley is worth the sticker price over Penn with scholarship money and the savings associated with staying put, even if Berkeley has a better rep. in your specialty and even if you think you'd be quite happy there. It seems like you'd be perfectly fine staying in Philly as well and I doubt that your job prospects would suffer in any sort of measurable way.

Thank you for the opinion!

What I really like is the close proximity to Silicon Valley, all the course offerings (I can fill my 2L + 3L schedule with nothing but technology law classes and clinic), and the alumni base in the field. I have found multiple grads in SV specializing exactly what I want to do. Obviously I know nothing about legal education at this point, so I don't really know if it makes that much difference to take the classes or not? I assume having a solid foundation is key and I can specialize in whatever I want because I have so much background and experience in it.

I am just torn because I don't know if the closer location and the stronger connection to SV will help me achieve my objectives much better. In other words, if I get a JD from Penn and want to do tech law work in SV, would I be able to get a job easily? They will not recruit at Penn, so am I put at a huge disadvantage?

Also the grading system. I feel like if I am not to 30% at Boalt, with my WE I should still have a shot at the best jobs in my field (I think?). What if I am below median at Penn, AND I want to come out west, would that hurt me quite a bit?

fish52

Postby fish52 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:34 pm

I was under the impression that Boalt had committed to keeping tuition below the other schools in the t10...?

I think Boalt would certainly give you an advantage in SV, but I doubt attending Penn would completely close any doors.

I'm interested in PI, so Berkeley's LRAP is a no-brainer. It's quite a bit better than any of the other programs in the t10, assuming one stays in PI for the entire 10 years. Plus, Boalt has an emphasis on public service that is pretty much unmatched by any comparable law schools.

Plus, by most standards Bay Area >>>>> Philly. Although, I know that for R6 there are a handful of other factors that might not make that true.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:42 pm

fish52 wrote:I think Boalt would certainly give you an advantage in SV, but I doubt attending Penn would completely close any doors.

But how much is that advantage worth??? Would I be regretting it later if I choose Penn???

Plus, by most standards Bay Area >>>>> Philly. Although, I know that for R6 there are a handful of other factors that might not make that true.

I am about ready to jump ship after our trip... Especially I after I spent 90 minutes shoveling and cleaning 2 cars this morning.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:04 pm

r6_philly wrote:
fish52 wrote:I think Boalt would certainly give you an advantage in SV, but I doubt attending Penn would completely close any doors.

But how much is that advantage worth??? Would I be regretting it later if I choose Penn???

I am about ready to jump ship after our trip... Especially I after I spent 90 minutes shoveling and cleaning 2 cars this morning.

:lol: :lol:. See you guys at B? :D. B is the one ASW I am attending for sure so far.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:07 pm

Knock wrote:
:lol: :lol:. See you guys at B? :D. B is the one ASW I am attending for sure so far.

Since we visited already, I am going to fly out by myself. So I can drive you guys from the SFO if we want to schedule a time together. I must have car so I am renting one again. We can check out apts together if others want to hang together.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:08 pm

I took the red eye and got there at 9:30 AM thur. I may do the same since they only have nonstop service early or late.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:10 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:

Since we visited already, I am going to fly out by myself. So I can drive you guys from the SFO if we want to schedule a time together. I must have car so I am renting one again. We can check out apts together if others want to hang together.

I'm down. I just don't know when i'm heading up, because I won't know my schedule for next quarter for a while.

ETA: And I might just drive to have my car, idk yet.

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:11 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:

Down for exploring campus/apts with others. Berkeley is the only ASW I am sure about right now as well.

forward

Postby forward » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:17 pm

i will be in attendance at asw. fly in on thursday, out midday saturday (to LA for UCLA's sunday asw).

as far as sticker: i'm also on the PI track, and even with LRAP, I can't justify paying sticker. if i'm going to shell out sticker at B, i may as well go to NYU at sticker, particularly in light of NYU's outstanding PI rep.

ucla also threw down big for me, and that's increasingly enticing. i understand the uc budget troubles, but it does seem curious that ucla has the financial ability to really go hard after some applicants but B is reputedly quite stingy to almost all (i hope they aren't for me :mrgreen: ). any CA folks able to shed light on this? is it based in actual budget difficulties at B or simply B's confidence in its ranking? if the former, why isn't ucla hit like this, too?

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:32 pm

forward wrote:i will be in attendance at asw. fly in on thursday, out midday saturday (to LA for UCLA's sunday asw).

as far as sticker: i'm also on the PI track, and even with LRAP, I can't justify paying sticker. if i'm going to shell out sticker at B, i may as well go to NYU at sticker, particularly in light of NYU's outstanding PI rep.

ucla also threw down big for me, and that's increasingly enticing. i understand the uc budget troubles, but it does seem curious that ucla has the financial ability to really go hard after some applicants but B is reputedly quite stingy to almost all (i hope they aren't for me :mrgreen: ). any CA folks able to shed light on this? is it based in actual budget difficulties at B or simply B's confidence in its ranking? if the former, why isn't ucla hit like this, too?

The difference between PI at Boalt and NYU is negligible unless you're in NYC or the Bay Area and then it flows geographically. It's silly to think the schools differ substantially on this.

Boalt can attract "better" students so it doesn't need to give the aid that UCLA does. It gives aid offers to attract students who are also getting into T6 schools.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:58 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
The difference between PI at Boalt and NYU is negligible unless you're in NYC or the Bay Area and then it flows geographically. It's silly to think the schools differ substantially on this.

Boalt can attract "better" students so it doesn't need to give the aid that UCLA does. It gives aid offers to attract students who are also getting into T6 schools.

If that is the case why is the numerical quality lower? Not trying to be sarcastic, I am curious - see my post in the UCLA thread about not offering aid.

ads222

Postby ads222 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:15 pm

anyone who's also in at Chicago, what are you doing about visits?

Both ASWs are the same weekend, but Chicago has a few other days that they suggest for visits (although none sounds like it's as eventful as the ASW, obviously). I'm having a tough time deciding if I should visit Boalt or Chi April 7-9 (I already know they're going to be super-different, and I'm 99% going to walk away liking Boalt's vibes more than Chicago) so does anyone else in this/a similar situation have advice/suggestions/whatever?

If I'm this indecisive about ASWs I'm worried about actually picking a law school, gahh

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:16 pm

ads222 wrote:anyone who's also in at Chicago, what are you doing about visits?

Both ASWs are the same weekend, but Chicago has a few other days that they suggest for visits. I'm having a tough time deciding if I should visit Boalt or Chi April 7-9 (I already know they're going to be super-different, and I'm 99% going to walk away liking Boalt's vibes more than Chicago) so does anyone else in this/a similar situation have advice/suggestions/whatever?

If I'm this indecisive about ASWs I'm worried about actually picking a law school, gahh

In at both, and I will be attending Boalt's ASW.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:17 pm

Both ASWs are the same weekend, but Chicago has a few other days that they suggest for visits (although none sounds like it's as eventful as the ASW, obviously). I'm having a tough time deciding if I should visit Boalt or Chi April 7-9 (I already know they're going to be super-different, and I'm 99% going to walk away liking Boalt's vibes more than Chicago) so does anyone else in this/a similar situation have advice/suggestions/whatever?

Well boalt pays.

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:19 pm

On one hand, you can visit Boalt and see how great the environment is and how much you'd enjoy spending your time there. On the other hand, you can visit Chicago and see if you have what it takes to endure the cold for three years.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:22 pm

Knock wrote:

Are you serious about Chicago? Or is Boalt front runner right now?

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:24 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:

Are you serious about Chicago? Or is Boalt front runner right now?

Hmm, I reserve the right to change my opinion since it's still early, but as of right now, I think it would take Columbia to get me away from Boalt (assuming S is not in play of course). Idk though, I change my mind alot and am far from set on any school.

ETA: And money is definitely going to play a significant factor in my decision I think.
Last edited by Knock on Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:25 pm

i'm having a reallyy hard time deciding, too! i feel like i would prefer berkeley over chicago (although possibly NYU over both?)...but i reallyyy want to know how much of the chicago = where fun goes to die and berkeley = laid back/friendly stereotypes are true! cali's economy makes me a bit wary, but i've also never seen snow before and don't know if i could survive winters in chicago or nyc... :?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:26 pm

Knock wrote:Hmm, I reserve the right to change my opinion since it's still early, but as of right now, I think it would take Columbia to get me away from Boalt (assuming S is not in play of course). Idk though, I change my mind alot and am far from set on any school.

I wonder how most people end up making the decision. I have no idea how I will do it. Hopefully HYS will do it for me? Would it be weird if we end up at Columbia for some strange turn of events.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:29 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:i'm having a reallyy hard time deciding, too! i feel like i would prefer berkeley over chicago (although possibly NYU over both?)...but i reallyyy want to know how much of the chicago = where fun goes to die and berkeley = laid back/friendly stereotypes are true! cali's economy makes me a bit wary, but i've also never seen snow before and don't know if i could survive winters in chicago or nyc... :?

I don't know about Chicago but both my wife and I feel that Bay Area people are a lot more pleasant (there is really no comparison) than Philly/NYC people. However you will be going to school with a lot of non-natives so it may not be that much different in school. Snow won't be that bad in the cities at all, you just have to get used to the cold outside.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”