In at Berkeley!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:41 pm

ahduth wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I know, but in last year's thread people mentioned that only about 25% are approved and they give most attention to immediate peer schools.


Oh weaksauce. I need to figure out how to get up on this money game. I probably should've gotten my applications out earlier.


It's alright. You are still on time as long as you get them in before the Dec. scores come out. So if you have submitted all, or at least in the next few days you should be ok. Merit money don't usually get decided until Feb. or so. If you have good numbers, you can get money from Michigan at least at any point. So you could use 1 offer and leverage them into multiples if you do it right. You got into Berk and have WE so you must be pretty impressive, I am sure you can get good offers. I don't know where Berk stands for you, but I look forward to meeting you.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby ahduth » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:19 pm

r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I know, but in last year's thread people mentioned that only about 25% are approved and they give most attention to immediate peer schools.


Oh weaksauce. I need to figure out how to get up on this money game. I probably should've gotten my applications out earlier.


It's alright. You are still on time as long as you get them in before the Dec. scores come out. So if you have submitted all, or at least in the next few days you should be ok. Merit money don't usually get decided until Feb. or so. If you have good numbers, you can get money from Michigan at least at any point. So you could use 1 offer and leverage them into multiples if you do it right. You got into Berk and have WE so you must be pretty impressive, I am sure you can get good offers. I don't know where Berk stands for you, but I look forward to meeting you.


I have a pretty good feeling about Michigan. I mean... they could certainly YP me, but my "why Michigan" was pretty sweet, if a little on the long side.

I think it was Knock who was saying Berkeley or Columbia in a different thread. I'm hoping to have to make that east/west cost decision, although Michigan seems... pretty good for some reason. Whatever, we'll see.

On another note - does anyone match dollars from Northwestern? They seem to throw money around. It's all vaguely confusing.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby Knock » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:46 pm

Hey R6. I'm intrigued by cyberlaw. Do you want to tell us a little about it? :)

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:25 am

Knock wrote:Hey R6. I'm intrigued by cyberlaw. Do you want to tell us a little about it? :)


Mostly still contracts, agreements, privacy, licensing, intrusions, SPAM, liabilities. The same old issues only with an Internet spin. I think anyone can work into the area without a CS background, but it would help a great deal in some of the more technical issues. Like understanding what is "the cloud" and how to apply the existing legal principles to it.

User avatar
forward
Posts: 413
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 12:16 am

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby forward » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:10 pm

That second 12/14 status appears to be a glitch. The Admissions Office person with whom I spoke wasn't sure what it could be, but said that scholarship stuff typically doesn't occur until after FAFSAs are received in January.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:11 pm

forward21 wrote:That second 12/14 status appears to be a glitch. The Admissions Office person with whom I spoke wasn't sure what it could be, but said that scholarship stuff typically doesn't occur until after FAFSAs are received in January.


Thanks for checking! I hope they offer decent aid. I am in sticker shock. Now because of the absolute amount, but the increase.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby Knock » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:12 pm

forward21 wrote:That second 12/14 status appears to be a glitch. The Admissions Office person with whom I spoke wasn't sure what it could be, but said that scholarship stuff typically doesn't occur until after FAFSAs are received in January.


:cry:. Do we have to fill out FAFSA to be considered for merit aid?

User avatar
forward
Posts: 413
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 12:16 am

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby forward » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Knock wrote:
forward21 wrote:That second 12/14 status appears to be a glitch. The Admissions Office person with whom I spoke wasn't sure what it could be, but said that scholarship stuff typically doesn't occur until after FAFSAs are received in January.


:cry:. Do we have to fill out FAFSA to be considered for merit aid?


Yep...

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:13 pm

What sense does that make?

I won't be able to file until end of Jan... I may just fill out a tentative one just so they can have something. I am hoping my EFC to be 0 again.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby Knock » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:15 pm

forward21 wrote:
Knock wrote:
forward21 wrote:That second 12/14 status appears to be a glitch. The Admissions Office person with whom I spoke wasn't sure what it could be, but said that scholarship stuff typically doesn't occur until after FAFSAs are received in January.


:cry:. Do we have to fill out FAFSA to be considered for merit aid?


Yep...


Is the form on the admitted students site?

User avatar
sarcasticswede
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby sarcasticswede » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:15 pm

Knock wrote:
forward21 wrote:That second 12/14 status appears to be a glitch. The Admissions Office person with whom I spoke wasn't sure what it could be, but said that scholarship stuff typically doesn't occur until after FAFSAs are received in January.


:cry:. Do we have to fill out FAFSA to be considered for merit aid?


My understanding is no, they just haven't done the scholarship review yet. I'm guessing it's a late January thing from talking to people who have gotten them before.

forward- did the admissions people say we have to submit FAFSA for merit aid? that doesn't add up on the timeline from people who have gotten them before. ugh if merit scholarships require FAFSA i'm screwed (not because i'm particularly wealthy just because i'm young so my parents are considered a lot more)

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:16 pm

Knock wrote:Is the form on the admitted students site?


http://fafsa.ed.gov

User avatar
jd2014!
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:31 am

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby jd2014! » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:20 pm

Did anyone read in the financial aid email that we have to include parents' financial info unless we are over 30? This is just nuts. Really, Berk?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:22 pm

From the site, does not seem to need FAFSA, since it references only submitted application materials.

WHO IS CONSIDERED

There are three ways to be identified as a potential scholarship candidate:


Every applicant is considered for scholarships based on the materials they submit as part of their law school application. Reviewers can indicate that they believe an applicant would be a strong candidate for a scholarship. These recommendations are subsequently reviewed by the Scholarship Committee.


Every admitted student has the option of submitting a Scholarship Interest Form. The content of the form may vary from year to year, but essentially it provides the opportunity for an admitted student to indicate interest in particular scholarships and to provide additional written statements to supplement their original application materials. Examples of scholarships offered through this and the reader-nomination process can be found below. Scholarship Interest Forms are reviewed by the Scholarship Committee.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:23 pm

jd2014! wrote:Did anyone read in the financial aid email that we have to include parents' financial info unless we are over 30? This is just nuts. Really, Berk?


I think that only applies to need-based grants. I am pretty sure you have to submit this for most schools via NeedAccess. I had to submit it last year even though I am over 30.

sarahh
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby sarahh » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:30 pm

r6_philly wrote:
jd2014! wrote:Did anyone read in the financial aid email that we have to include parents' financial info unless we are over 30? This is just nuts. Really, Berk?


I think that only applies to need-based grants. I am pretty sure you have to submit this for most schools via NeedAccess. I had to submit it last year even though I am over 30.


I e-mailed them about it, and they said parental info was not needed for the matching scholarship but they recommend providing it. If you qualify for need-based aid, they will use it as part of the matching scholarship.

I seem to recall reading in the packet that they said they would make the decisions about the matching scholarships by June 15. I really hope they do not wait to get back to us until after we have to let schools know whether we are enrolling. I don't think I could do Berkeley at sticker, but I would consider it for less. I am hoping they continue last year's trend of matching Darrow.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:52 am

I am going to visit in 2 weeks and check out the school and surrounding areas. I will be bringing my camera, if you guys want to see anything, let me know and I will photograph it.

So excited!!!

If there is anything in/around Berkeley I must see then please let me know!

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby Knock » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:53 am

r6_philly wrote:I am going to visit in 2 weeks and check out the school and surrounding areas. I will be bringing my camera, if you guys want to see anything, let me know and I will photograph it.

So excited!!!

If there is anything in/around Berkeley I must see then please let me know!


Definitely be make sure to take lots of pics of Boalt Hall from outside & inside, and the law library!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:57 am

Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I am going to visit in 2 weeks and check out the school and surrounding areas. I will be bringing my camera, if you guys want to see anything, let me know and I will photograph it.

So excited!!!

If there is anything in/around Berkeley I must see then please let me know!


Definitely be make sure to take lots of pics of Boalt Hall from outside & inside, and the law library!


I will! We are going to check out some potential living areas too off campus and maybe in the next towns. This is starting to feel real!

I will check out Stanford too :shock:

Off topic but did you see the new Penn Law building video? Looks pretty sweet.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby Knock » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:59 am

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I am going to visit in 2 weeks and check out the school and surrounding areas. I will be bringing my camera, if you guys want to see anything, let me know and I will photograph it.

So excited!!!

If there is anything in/around Berkeley I must see then please let me know!


Definitely be make sure to take lots of pics of Boalt Hall from outside & inside, and the law library!


I will! We are going to check out some potential living areas too off campus and maybe in the next towns. This is starting to feel real!

I will check out Stanford too :shock:

Off topic but did you see the new Penn Law building video? Looks pretty sweet.


Ha nah. Maybe I will look if they change their minds and decide to accept me :P.

If you get some good SLS pics please post them in the S waiting thread!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:05 am

Knock wrote:
Ha nah. Maybe I will look if they change their minds and decide to accept me :P.

If you get some good SLS pics please post them in the S waiting thread!


If you wrote about how much you want to waste away in that shiny new building for the next 8 years you would have gotten accepted! :lol:

Will do on S. Maybe I can "run" into Dean Deal somehow??? I wonder if they do "meet an admission officer" then I will hand deliver a LOCI? :D

rui
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:49 am

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby rui » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:45 am

Not in at Berkeley (yet?) but was perusing the thread and figured I'd jump in --

1) Yes, Stanford does offer informational interviews. Definitely e-mail and schedule one if you're in the area. I had a nice chat with an adcom, learned a lot about the school and also got the chance to sit in on a class.

2) If you're in Berkeley and like pizza - http://cheeseboardcollective.coop/

3) Cyberlaw is awesome and while I agree with Philly's assertion that you don't need a background in it to work at the firm level, it's an absolute necessity if you want to become in-house counsel (and that's where the real fun is, imo). Berk and Stanford's resources (and their proximity to Silicon Valley) make them both top notch if you're interested in the field.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:59 am

rui wrote:Not in at Berkeley (yet?) but was perusing the thread and figured I'd jump in --

1) Yes, Stanford does offer informational interviews. Definitely e-mail and schedule one if you're in the area. I had a nice chat with an adcom, learned a lot about the school and also got the chance to sit in on a class.

2) If you're in Berkeley and like pizza - http://cheeseboardcollective.coop/

3) Cyberlaw is awesome and while I agree with Philly's assertion that you don't need a background in it to work at the firm level, it's an absolute necessity if you want to become in-house counsel (and that's where the real fun is, imo). Berk and Stanford's resources (and their proximity to Silicon Valley) make them both top notch if you're interested in the field.


Thanks for the info!

I am not sure if I am going for in-house, will have to see what's available. But I have enough to qualify for anything I think. The fun is going to be running my own firm since I am an entrepreneur spirit 8)

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby Knock » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:02 am

r6_philly wrote:
rui wrote:Not in at Berkeley (yet?) but was perusing the thread and figured I'd jump in --

1) Yes, Stanford does offer informational interviews. Definitely e-mail and schedule one if you're in the area. I had a nice chat with an adcom, learned a lot about the school and also got the chance to sit in on a class.

2) If you're in Berkeley and like pizza - http://cheeseboardcollective.coop/

3) Cyberlaw is awesome and while I agree with Philly's assertion that you don't need a background in it to work at the firm level, it's an absolute necessity if you want to become in-house counsel (and that's where the real fun is, imo). Berk and Stanford's resources (and their proximity to Silicon Valley) make them both top notch if you're interested in the field.


Thanks for the info!

I am not sure if I am going for in-house, will have to see what's available. But I have enough to qualify for anything I think. The fun is going to be running my own firm since I am an entrepreneur spirit 8)


Is there any way you can get a background in cyber law from this point forward if you eventually want to work in-house?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:43 am

Knock wrote:Is there any way you can get a background in cyber law from this point forward if you eventually want to work in-house?


Wherever you decide to go, do a few things to help your cause. Get on the tech journal. For your electives, see if you can get a IT/Info Assurance/Internet-related cert at the CS/CIS department. I think most school have such certs either in CIS or business school. Some post-bac cert credits are not transferable to law school, so be careful. If you go to Berkeley, also try to get the law & tech. cert from the law school.

Most MS in CS programs require you to have a background in CS, but the background can be acquired by taking pre-reqs. Funny thing about CS - a MS in CS really just goes over the same exact topics/course, only in more depth. So you can definitely pick up the background in grad school without a BS. Especially if it is offered by a CIS or business school.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], spursforever and 9 guests