In at Berkeley!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Knock

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby Knock » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:18 am

tkgrrett wrote:
Knock wrote:
What would you do in a Columbia vs. Berkeley sticker situation?

My god.. 210k+ in debt?? My head would explode at the thought of 3k/month loan payments.. But then again Im a southern/midwestern boy so it doesnt compute for me. Where I live a decent home cost about 110-150k and a really nice home can be found for 200-250k.

Well, you have a UVA full ride to get a matching scholarship from B and a H acceptance to leverage CLS, so I wouldn't worry about it too much TK :P. But for me, I think that's going to be the hardest possible decision i'd realistically be up against this cycle, so I just wanted to start thinking about it a little.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:19 am

tkgrrett wrote:
Knock wrote:
What would you do in a Columbia vs. Berkeley sticker situation?

My god.. 210k+ in debt?? My head would explode at the thought of 3k/month loan payments.. But then again Im a southern/midwestern boy so it doesnt compute for me. Where I live a decent home cost about 110-150k and a really nice home can be found for 200-250k.

lol that's the beauty of not big city living. We were looking at houses to move up to, and anything that can even come close to our modest needs and expectations cost 750+. And Philly suburbs are cheap. 3k payment isn't really that much, a really nice lawyer caliber car can set you back about that. People also forget 160k salary in NYC is about 125 in philly and maybe 100 in the country. I think I need to make about 250-300 5 years out of school to make any investment worthwhile. So wish me luck. :D

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:20 am

Knock wrote:
Well, you have a UVA full ride to get a matching scholarship from B and a H acceptance to leverage CLS, so I wouldn't worry about it too much TK :P. But for me, I think that's going to be the hardest possible decision i'd realistically be up against this cycle, so I just wanted to start thinking about it a little.

IIRC, last cycle people were really shocked by how generous Columbia was with need-based aid. Dont know your fin. situation but that could come into play.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:21 am

I do budgets for work, and I have been managing personal finances for almost 2 decades. If you guys need some advice/opinions, let me know.

obrienfa

Postby obrienfa » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:51 am

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Any idea when would we receive any scholarship offers? I know we can fill out the interest form, but method #1 says we will be automatically considered, so should we expect something forthcoming if something is forthcoming?

No clue, but isn't most of their financial aid need-based?

It says there are still merit scholarships and the matching program before need-based grants/fellowships. I wonder how they will look at my situation for need-based. I make decent money, but only started this year. We have 2 kids and both of us are going to be students (no income). I hope I get a lot? lol That's why I have to compare offers, not just merit offers, but need-based as well. But boalt may give me a package much better than other schools, who knows.

But academically, I am liking it better and better over other schools aside from Stanford.

Whoaaaa, Philly you are a dad?
+3908897 cool points for being a dad AND going to law school.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:43 am

obrienfa wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Haha thanks! I didn't think it's that big of a deal.

My avatar is real BTW, that's the little lawyer right there.

moneko

Postby moneko » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:52 am

viewbook came in today :) extra happy to make my day as i deal with last minute retesting jitters :X

stupid q though... what's ITE?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:57 am

moneko wrote:viewbook came in today :) extra happy to make my day as i deal with last minute retesting jitters :X

stupid q though... what's ITE?

In This Economy

obrienfa

Postby obrienfa » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:26 am

r6_philly wrote:
obrienfa wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I thought it was a Christmas picture of you from back in the day. I'm stupid obviously.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:31 am

obrienfa wrote:
I thought it was a Christmas picture of you from back in the day. I'm stupid obviously.

I don't think I had any color photos of me until maybe 12YO :shock: We didn't have color TV until about then too. I am also not this handsome.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:05 pm

obrienfa wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
obrienfa wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Me too. r6 - Cute kid.

obrienfa

Postby obrienfa » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:08 pm

r6_philly wrote:
obrienfa wrote:

I don't think I had any color photos of me until maybe 12YO :shock: We didn't have color TV until about then too. I am also not this handsome.

You do have a very cute kid. If we both end up at Berkeley, I may be stealing him to fix the withdrawals I will be feeling from not seeing my niece and nephews.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:12 pm

artichoke wrote:Me too. r6 - Cute kid.

Thank you!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:13 pm

obrienfa wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
obrienfa wrote:

You do have a very cute kid. If we both end up at Berkeley, I may be stealing him to fix the withdrawals I will be feeling from not seeing my niece and nephews.

Haha I am sure he will be all over school. He loves running around everywhere.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:17 pm

r6_philly wrote:

He must look like your wife then. :mrgreen:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:22 pm

artichoke wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

He must look like your wife then. :mrgreen:

No you wouldn't be able to tell she is the mom without me standing there too :mrgreen: She is much better looking than I am though.

sarcasticswede

Postby sarcasticswede » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:49 pm

checking in! 95% sure i'll be at berk, went and walked around the law school today (i know, it's a sunday during finals, but i'm from the bay and my dad is super excited that i got in so he dragged me), still a lot of construction going on but it's supposed to be done by the time we get there and everything looks like it'll be really, really nice! i know this was a few pages back but knock if you're instate why don't you just fly southwest? the flight attendants on the lax-oak route are always hilarious, can't imagine they're terribly different on any of the other routes.

can't wait to meet you all at asw!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:00 am

sarcasticswede wrote:checking in! 95% sure i'll be at berk, went and walked around the law school today (i know, it's a sunday during finals, but i'm from the bay and my dad is super excited that i got in so he dragged me), still a lot of construction going on but it's supposed to be done by the time we get there and everything looks like it'll be really, really nice! i know this was a few pages back but knock if you're instate why don't you just fly southwest? the flight attendants on the lax-oak route are always hilarious, can't imagine they're terribly different on any of the other routes.

You should have taken some pics to post! I'd love to see how it looks in the bay area right now. We just had flurries.

sarcasticswede

Postby sarcasticswede » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:04 am

it was actually sunny and warm in berk today! it was t-shirt weather walking around which was lovely...i'll probably be going back later this week (the nordic foods store is in berkeley and we need to stalk up on the swedish essentials for the holidays), i'll take some pictures and post them next time : )

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:12 am

sarcasticswede wrote:it was actually sunny and warm in berk today! it was t-shirt weather walking around which was lovely...i'll probably be going back later this week (the nordic foods store is in berkeley and we need to stalk up on the swedish essentials for the holidays), i'll take some pictures and post them next time : )

Awesome! Look forward to seeing them.

Congrats by the way!

obrienfa

Postby obrienfa » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:29 am

r6_philly wrote:
sarcasticswede wrote:checking in! 95% sure i'll be at berk, went and walked around the law school today (i know, it's a sunday during finals, but i'm from the bay and my dad is super excited that i got in so he dragged me), still a lot of construction going on but it's supposed to be done by the time we get there and everything looks like it'll be really, really nice! i know this was a few pages back but knock if you're instate why don't you just fly southwest? the flight attendants on the lax-oak route are always hilarious, can't imagine they're terribly different on any of the other routes.

You should have taken some pics to post! I'd love to see how it looks in the bay area right now. We just had flurries.

I'm jealous you had just flurries today. It is blizzard conditions in the Mitt today :/

sarcasticswede

Postby sarcasticswede » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:02 am

does anyone know when we find out if we got any merit $$? i know they don't seem to give it out as much as other places but i can't help but be a bit optimistic

clone22

Postby clone22 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:03 am

Hey, I know I'm getting in late on this, but count me in on your block room deal/idea

Kiwi917

Postby Kiwi917 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:12 am

sarcasticswede wrote:it was actually sunny and warm in berk today! it was t-shirt weather walking around which was lovely...i'll probably be going back later this week (the nordic foods store is in berkeley and we need to stalk up on the swedish essentials for the holidays), i'll take some pictures and post them next time : )

There's a nordic foods store in Berkeley?! I might need to make a trip across the bridge before I fly home for the holidays... :)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:16 am

obrienfa wrote:I'm jealous you had just flurries today. It is blizzard conditions in the Mitt today :/

It was like 20 degrees warmer 2 weeks ago, so I am still in my fall mindset. We rarely get snow before the new year so no one is quite ready yet. Still too cold for me.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”