In at Berkeley!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
vicuna

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby vicuna » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:52 pm

sad_squirrel wrote:
jd2014! wrote:I had tis problem when I tried to log in right after registering. I tried again a couple of ours later and was good to go. If you've recently created your Calnet ID, you may just need to wait a bit.

Thanks! I suppose I'm just too excited to check it out :wink:

I'm still having trouble too.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:54 pm

vicuna wrote:
sad_squirrel wrote:
jd2014! wrote:I had tis problem when I tried to log in right after registering. I tried again a couple of ours later and was good to go. If you've recently created your Calnet ID, you may just need to wait a bit.

Try another browser and try use private browsing. I had no issue logging in the first time, but had issue after timing out. When Firefox stopped working, I used Safari.

vicuna

Postby vicuna » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:59 pm

r6_philly wrote:
vicuna wrote:
sad_squirrel wrote:

Try another browser and try use private browsing. I had no issue logging in the first time, but had issue after timing out. When Firefox stopped working, I used Safari.

No luck with Safari or a new Firefox browser. Guess I'll just try again in a few hours? :?

sad_squirrel

Postby sad_squirrel » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:03 pm

vicuna wrote:No luck with Safari or a new Firefox browser. Guess I'll just try again in a few hours? :?

Same here. Glad it's not just me . . . I was starting to worry that the admissions office had decided that they had made a mistake! :wink:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:06 pm

vicuna wrote:
No luck with Safari or a new Firefox browser. Guess I'll just try again in a few hours? :?

Call them tomorrow if you can't figure it out I guess they will have to reset your account and send you a new pin. Are you guys sure you are putting in the right password? In these new password systems where upper lower and special characters are required, I type it out in notepad first, save it, then copy and paste into the password boxes. Sometimes you type in something different than what you are trying to since you can't see what you type.

vicuna

Postby vicuna » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:
vicuna wrote:

Call them tomorrow if you can't figure it out I guess they will have to reset your account and send you a new pin. Are you guys sure you are putting in the right password? In these new password systems where upper lower and special characters are required, I type it out in notepad first, save it, then copy and paste into the password boxes. Sometimes you type in something different than what you are trying to since you can't see what you type.

It's working now! Thanks for the help.

jd2014!

Postby jd2014! » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:55 pm

sad_squirrel wrote:
vicuna wrote:No luck with Safari or a new Firefox browser. Guess I'll just try again in a few hours? :?

Same here. Glad it's not just me . . . I was starting to worry that the admissions office had decided that they had made a mistake! :wink:

Email them at calnet@berkeley.edu for assistance. During my spazz-out moment they helped me. Kind of. Good luck!

sad_squirrel

Postby sad_squirrel » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:57 pm

jd2014! wrote:
sad_squirrel wrote:

Email them at calnet@berkeley.edu for assistance. During my spazz-out moment they helped me. Kind of. Good luck!

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. I was able to log on late last night, so perhaps it just needed some time. Thanks again, and I'm excited to meet you all at ASW!

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:07 pm

Just got my Berkeley admit packet :). Awesome! <3 Boalt!

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:46 pm

Knock wrote:Just got my Berkeley admit packet :). Awesome! <3 Boalt!

Same. Good stuff.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:47 pm

mrmangs wrote:
Knock wrote:Just got my Berkeley admit packet :). Awesome! <3 Boalt!

Same. Good stuff.

I spoiled the surprise by reading through both the viewbook and Transcript already. Why me? :lol:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:48 pm

Any idea when would we receive any scholarship offers? I know we can fill out the interest form, but method #1 says we will be automatically considered, so should we expect something forthcoming if something is forthcoming?

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:50 pm

r6_philly wrote:Any idea when would we receive any scholarship offers? I know we can fill out the interest form, but method #1 says we will be automatically considered, so should we expect something forthcoming if something is forthcoming?

No clue, but isn't most of their financial aid need-based?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:55 pm

Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Any idea when would we receive any scholarship offers? I know we can fill out the interest form, but method #1 says we will be automatically considered, so should we expect something forthcoming if something is forthcoming?

It says there are still merit scholarships and the matching program before need-based grants/fellowships. I wonder how they will look at my situation for need-based. I make decent money, but only started this year. We have 2 kids and both of us are going to be students (no income). I hope I get a lot? lol That's why I have to compare offers, not just merit offers, but need-based as well. But boalt may give me a package much better than other schools, who knows.

But academically, I am liking it better and better over other schools aside from Stanford.

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:58 pm

I vacillate between being super enthused about it and worrying about ITE. But I think I know in my heart that it is the best choice.

Assuming I don't get Stanford.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:01 am

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:

It says there are still merit scholarships and the matching program before need-based grants/fellowships. I wonder how they will look at my situation for need-based. I make decent money, but only started this year. We have 2 kids and both of us are going to be students (no income). I hope I get a lot? lol That's why I have to compare offers, not just merit offers, but need-based as well. But boalt may give me a package much better than other schools, who knows.

But academically, I am liking it better and better over other schools aside from Stanford.

No clue. I still haven't gotten an offer from UCLA and I though they were supposed to send them within 2 weeks? That was about a month and a week or two ago.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:01 am

mrmangs wrote:I vacillate between being super enthused about it and worrying about ITE.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:02 am

mrmangs wrote:I vacillate between being super enthused about it and worrying about ITE. But I think I know in my heart that it is the best choice.

Haha, I kind of am feeling this way too. We'll see though, I figure visiting various ASW and having all the offers in front of me will help me figure it out. Mrmangs, want to pm me your #'s? I'm curious :D.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:03 am

mrmangs wrote:I vacillate between being super enthused about it and worrying about ITE. But I think I know in my heart that it is the best choice.

Would it be sweet if we get into Stanford too? But if not I am still super thrilled to be admitted to Boalt.

I am not worried about job prospect at all since I have stuff lined and go back to if I have to. I think we will be fine. 3 years removed, and from a top school. We are all capable people, and we will be just fine. I am more focused on what school is best for me and what I want.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:04 am

r6_philly wrote:

Would it be sweet if we get into Stanford too? But if not I am still super thrilled to be admitted to Boalt.

I am not worried about job prospect at all since I have stuff lined and go back to if I have to. I think we will be fine. 3 years removed, and from a top school. We are all capable people, and we will be just fine. I am more focused on what school is best for me and what I want.

What would you do in a Columbia vs. Berkeley sticker situation?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:08 am

Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I will beg Penn to give me money? :lol: I would probably take Berkeley. Columbia/NYU is difficult for me to choose due to family/kids. Berkeley is not a sure thing, so I applied to CCNM as alternatives to Penn.

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:11 am

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I will beg Penn to give me money? :lol: I would probably take Berkeley. Columbia/NYU is difficult for me to choose due to family/kids. Berkeley is not a sure thing, so I applied to CCNM as alternatives to Penn.

Yeah, the thing about NYC... So expensive! Not sure if I'd like the city either. Chicago seems pretty cool... Except for the weather. I might be too weak for the Midwest.

Some of my best friends are in SF and Philly though so that gives a big boost to Berkeley/Stanford and Penn.

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:12 am

But I shouldn't be that worried about cities/climate. ITE is a much bigger worry. :lol:

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:14 am

Knock wrote:

My god.. 210k+ in debt?? My head would explode at the thought of 3k/month loan payments.. But then again Im a southern/midwestern boy so it doesnt compute for me. Where I live a decent home cost about 110-150k and a really nice home can be found for 200-250k.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:15 am

mrmangs wrote:
Yeah, the thing about NYC... So expensive! Not sure if I'd like the city either. Chicago seems pretty cool... Except for the weather. I might be too weak for the Midwest.

Some of my best friends are in SF and Philly though so that gives a big boost to Berkeley/Stanford and Penn.

Not just money, school is a problem too. We do have relatives all of the city, in Bronx, Queens and BK. The only way I can swing C/N is to live with family during the week and go home on weekends. Seeing that I have no interest in big law in NYC, I don't think I am really missing much if anything by choosing P/B over C/N. Sticker may be the same, real COA for the 3 cities will not be. My mortgage is less than what I will have to pay for an apartment in SF, so Penn is probably going to be the cheapest sticker although not by too much.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”