In at Berkeley!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
paisaaa

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby paisaaa » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:34 pm

Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Yeah, I saw that. It's at least a 4 hour drive for me (plus gas expenses) so if I can fly for pretty much free I definitely will do that :mrgreen:. And I hope you will take us TLSers for a tour of Berkeley/SF in your rental car, since I will be car-less :P.

Sure! I can probably drive people from the airport too. We will arrange something when it gets close. We should have a meet and greet anyway for people who are not trying to remain anonymous.

Awesome, I call dibs 8). And definitely, I'm down for a meet and greet :).

Me too! Me too!!!!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:32 pm

obrienfa wrote:
I think all the TLSers in a block of rooms is GENIUS.

I used to negotiate blocks of rooms for events/conventions. If you guys who knows the area want to agree on a hotel we can try negotiate a group rate.

red032

Postby red032 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:14 am

just joining the thread....congrats to everyone! anyone else get an acceptance e-mail but no phone call?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:19 am

red032 wrote:just joining the thread....congrats to everyone! anyone else get an acceptance e-mail but no phone call?

A few did. They don't leave voicemail however so you may have been called.

Congrats BTW!

red032

Postby red032 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:12 pm

r6_philly wrote:
red032 wrote:just joining the thread....congrats to everyone! anyone else get an acceptance e-mail but no phone call?

A few did. They don't leave voicemail however so you may have been called.

Congrats BTW!

Thanks! just double checking/ being paranoid!

kak5n

Postby kak5n » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:45 pm

Here's a question for all you wonderful people...where do Berkeley grads usually end up? I've lived on the East Coast for most of my life and I really want to come back and practice here (Mid-Atlantic region, like DC or VA)? I also got into UVA and Georgetown, and these are my top two choices against Berkeley because they're so close to home.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:46 pm

kak5n wrote:Here's a question for all you wonderful people...where do Berkeley grads usually end up? I've lived on the East Coast for most of my life and I really want to come back and practice here (Mid-Atlantic region, like DC or VA)? I also got into UVA and Georgetown, and these are my top two choices against Berkeley because they're so close to home.

Personally I think you would be better with UVA. People were just talking about Berkeley as being a more of a regional school than the rest of T10. Check the main forum.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:54 pm

r6_philly wrote:
kak5n wrote:Here's a question for all you wonderful people...where do Berkeley grads usually end up? I've lived on the East Coast for most of my life and I really want to come back and practice here (Mid-Atlantic region, like DC or VA)? I also got into UVA and Georgetown, and these are my top two choices against Berkeley because they're so close to home.

Personally I think you would be better with UVA. People were just talking about Berkeley as being a more of a regional school than the rest of T10. Check the main forum.

2L here who just finished summer associate recruiting. Please do not listen to what people speculate on here about it being a "regional" school, etc. Every single person I know who came from the East Coast and who wants to go back (myself included) is going back next summer as a summer associate in biglaw and then again (hopefully) after graduation - NY, PA, DC, NC, and Boston are some of the places people are going off the top of my head. It is so frustrating that you guys get such bad information on here sometimes! PM me if you have any specific questions about job prospects - I'd be happy to speak candidly. And good luck with your decisions!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:59 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

2L here who just finished summer associate recruiting. Please do not listen to what people speculate on here about it being a "regional" school, etc. Every single person I know who came from the East Coast and who wants to go back (myself included) is going back next summer as a summer associate in biglaw and then again (hopefully) after graduation - NY, PA, DC, NC, and Boston are some of the places people are going off the top of my head. It is so frustrating that you guys get such bad information on here sometimes! PM me if you have any specific questions about job prospects - I'd be happy to speak candidly. And good luck with your decisions!

TBF I have not met 1 Berkeley grad here in Philly. I am sure they are around, and I intend to find a alumni group or someone willing to talk to me, but other grads are a bit more plenty around these parts.

vicuna

Postby vicuna » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:09 pm

Is anyone else getting an error message when they try to log into the Admitted Students site?

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:12 pm

r6_philly wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

TBF I have not met 1 Berkeley grad here in Philly. I am sure they are around, and I intend to find a alumni group or someone willing to talk to me, but other grads are a bit more plenty around these parts.

How are you trying to meet these Berkeley grads? When I was looking at Philadelphia summer associate positions, I managed to find a lot of them. You have to go to the big firm's website and then search for lawyers based on what law school they graduated from. I was able to find a good number of Berkeley grads at each firm - and they were willing to call me to chat about their firms and pass my resume along. I still think it is way too soon to be doing this, though, as a 0L. You should start researching firms heavily for 2L recruiting as a 1L in April/May.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:15 pm

IzziesGal wrote:How are you trying to meet these Berkeley grads? When I was looking at Philadelphia summer associate positions, I managed to find a lot of them. You have to go to the big firm's website and then search for lawyers based on what law school they graduated from. I was able to find a good number of Berkeley grads at each firm - and they were willing to call me to chat about their firms and pass my resume along. I still think it is way too soon to be doing this, though, as a 0L. You should start researching firms heavily for 2L recruiting as a 1L in April/May.

It's too early for someone to reach out to alums in your community so that you can discuss their experiences as a Berkeley grad? Umm, ok?

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:23 pm

CastleRock wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:How are you trying to meet these Berkeley grads? When I was looking at Philadelphia summer associate positions, I managed to find a lot of them. You have to go to the big firm's website and then search for lawyers based on what law school they graduated from. I was able to find a good number of Berkeley grads at each firm - and they were willing to call me to chat about their firms and pass my resume along. I still think it is way too soon to be doing this, though, as a 0L. You should start researching firms heavily for 2L recruiting as a 1L in April/May.

It's too early for someone to reach out to alums in your community so that you can discuss their experiences as a Berkeley grad? Umm, ok?

Sorry, I must have misunderstood this. My brain is fried from finals.

It's never too early to reach out to alums. I would definitely try to contact associates (not partners) from whatever schools you are considering and find out as much as you can about why they chose the school they did, what their options were, what jobs they've held, etc.

Sorry, guys - my corporations exam is currently owning my soul (and my ability to understand blog posts, apparently).

Edit: my mind went immediately to researching firms for work, since that's all 2Ls have been doing for the last 6 months or so. THAT should wait until later...but reaching out to alums for admission reasons, do that now. :D

SubwaySandwich

Postby SubwaySandwich » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:27 pm

vicuna wrote:Is anyone else getting an error message when they try to log into the Admitted Students site?

Yeah, I get the same message

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:29 pm

No I mean in my years of WE. I haven't really looked so it was just a rough feel from the top of my head. I am trying to compare Penn and Berkeley, so it is not really too early.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:31 pm

SubwaySandwich wrote:
vicuna wrote:Is anyone else getting an error message when they try to log into the Admitted Students site?

Your Calnet ID is only good for the admitted student section, not for the rest of the university systems. So once you time out, you need to close your browser and go back through the admin session to the admitted student login (and that login only). If you follow the redirected link after you time out you will not be able to login through the central login system.

crislaw

Postby crislaw » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:44 pm

Kiwi917 wrote:Joining the thread. :D To pick up on the housing topic from the other thread - does anyone have suggestions for good areas to find a dog-friendly apartment (or small house with a yard) within a 20-30 minute commute from campus? My bf and I have been living in a great place in downtown SF for a few years and would love to keep it, but I think the BART commute will be too tough. My worry is that it will be hard to find someplace in the East Bay that is inexpensive, convenient, relatively nice, and also allows our small dog.

Hey Kiwi sorry if this has already been addressed, but i thought i might chime in since i live in SF and lived in the East Bay (Oak, Berk) for years before moving here. I can completely understand loving SF, esp when u have a sweet place that allows dogs. I too have a pooch and know how critical dog-friendly landlords are. That said, in my experience I have found it MUCH easer to find larger spaces w yards and generally cheaper rent in the east bay...North Oakland is also ideal, really close to UC. I got extremely lucky with my place which is one block from golden gate park and six blocks from the beach, yard, utilities and dog friendly. It was luck that got us here, but in general- SF is as expensive as it gets (in the Bay Area). I hope you find a great spot!

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:45 pm

r6_philly wrote:

No I mean in my years of WE. I haven't really looked so it was just a rough feel from the top of my head. I am trying to compare Penn and Berkeley, so it is not really too early.

I know, I'm sorry - I completely misunderstood and thought you were looking for alumni for firm work. That's my mistake!

And yes, you should definitely start talking to alums. Try going to to Penn's OCI thread on here and start seeing where Penn grads go in the area (this will give you an idea of what big firms are in Philly, if you don't already know). Then look up those firms and search for lawyers by school. Use "Boalt" as well as "Berkeley Law," since many of the older alums refuse to give up the Boalt name. :wink: Of course, Philly firms will be saturated with Penn Law grads and grads from Villanova, Temple, etc., but there will be some Boalties as well. Don't forget that a lot of people from CA self-select and stay here, which makes it harder to tell how far Berkeley's reach really is. Honestly, I don't see much difference between Penn and Boalt. Once of my closest friends is a 3L at Penn and we always compare notes on the two schools. I think you should go where you feel you fit in the most and where you like the people the most, etc. Good luck and PM me if you have any Qs.

sad_squirrel

Postby sad_squirrel » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:23 pm

r6_philly wrote:
SubwaySandwich wrote:

Your Calnet ID is only good for the admitted student section, not for the rest of the university systems. So once you time out, you need to close your browser and go back through the admin session to the admitted student login (and that login only). If you follow the redirected link after you time out you will not be able to login through the central login system.

Did this work for you guys? I'm still getting an error message when I try logging in :?

(PS--Nice to meet you all!)

jd2014!

Postby jd2014! » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:31 pm

sad_squirrel wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
SubwaySandwich wrote:

Did this work for you guys? I'm still getting an error message when I try logging in :?

(PS--Nice to meet you all!)

I had this problem when I tried to log in right after registering. I tried again a couple of hours later and was good to go. If you've recently created your Calnet ID, you may just need to wait a bit.
Last edited by jd2014! on Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sad_squirrel

Postby sad_squirrel » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:37 pm

jd2014! wrote:I had tis problem when I tried to log in right after registering. I tried again a couple of ours later and was good to go. If you've recently created your Calnet ID, you may just need to wait a bit.

Thanks! I suppose I'm just too excited to check it out :wink:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:43 pm

sad_squirrel wrote:
jd2014! wrote:I had tis problem when I tried to log in right after registering. I tried again a couple of ours later and was good to go. If you've recently created your Calnet ID, you may just need to wait a bit.

Thanks! I suppose I'm just too excited to check it out :wink:

It should work right after you created it. Try another browser or use "private browsing".

Kiwi917

Postby Kiwi917 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:59 pm

crislaw wrote:
Kiwi917 wrote:Joining the thread. :D To pick up on the housing topic from the other thread - does anyone have suggestions for good areas to find a dog-friendly apartment (or small house with a yard) within a 20-30 minute commute from campus? My bf and I have been living in a great place in downtown SF for a few years and would love to keep it, but I think the BART commute will be too tough. My worry is that it will be hard to find someplace in the East Bay that is inexpensive, convenient, relatively nice, and also allows our small dog.

Hey Kiwi sorry if this has already been addressed, but i thought i might chime in since i live in SF and lived in the East Bay (Oak, Berk) for years before moving here. I can completely understand loving SF, esp when u have a sweet place that allows dogs. I too have a pooch and know how critical dog-friendly landlords are. That said, in my experience I have found it MUCH easer to find larger spaces w yards and generally cheaper rent in the east bay...North Oakland is also ideal, really close to UC. I got extremely lucky with my place which is one block from golden gate park and six blocks from the beach, yard, utilities and dog friendly. It was luck that got us here, but in general- SF is as expensive as it gets (in the Bay Area). I hope you find a great spot!

Thanks! I figure I'll start checking out different areas later this year. Worst case scenario, we can always stay where we are and commute until we find the right place in East Bay.

trutherd

Postby trutherd » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:07 pm

r6_philly wrote:

I only know one Berkeley grad and she's working her 2nd year of biglaw in NYC (sure, sample size = tiny, but just my 2 cents)

re-applicant

Postby re-applicant » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:35 pm

I received a fat envelope with an acceptance letter from Berkeley today, dated Dec. 6.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”