In at Berkeley! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kiwi917

Bronze

Re: In at Berkeley!

Post by Kiwi917 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:00 pm

sarahh wrote:I just got an e-mail saying that I am not getting the Matching Scholarship. I guess this makes the decision easier. I sent an e-mail saying I am no longer coming to the ASW. I can't bring myself to decline the offer of admission yet.
Do you mind sharing approximately what date you submitted the matching request?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:01 pm

sarahh wrote: Yes, it was the Darrow. I am not surprised but am sad that I cannot stay in the area. I was already a little down about not getting an RTK invite. I know I have good options though.
Well then I don't feel too sad for you :D great job with the Darrow. At least you won't have to stress about rankings ;) (kidding people)

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:01 pm

clone22 wrote:
sarahh wrote:I just got an e-mail saying that I am not getting the Matching Scholarship. I guess this makes the decision easier. I sent an e-mail saying I am no longer coming to the ASW. I can't bring myself to decline the offer of admission yet.
you showed them :wink:

i kid, i'm just jealous :)
It was not a revenge thing. It does not make sense to use my PTO (which I need to save to apartment hunt) for a school I cannot go to.

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:03 pm

Kiwi917 wrote:
Do you mind sharing approximately what date you submitted the matching request?
I think it was early February.

JeremyPaul

New

Post by JeremyPaul » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:26 pm

Just submitted my supplemental scholarship essay. About how long til people hear back?
I submitted my supplemental scholarship essay back in mid-December and still haven't heard back...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

champsound

Bronze

Post by champsound » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:22 pm

JeremyPaul wrote:
Just submitted my supplemental scholarship essay. About how long til people hear back?
I submitted my supplemental scholarship essay back in mid-December and still haven't heard back...
I don't know that they have started giving out any merit scholarships/need scholarships besides through the matching program. And with the matching program, they do it in order of which scholarship-to-match has the closest deadline. Called it a triage or something on the website, made me imagine all of these injured law school students up near that fountain outside of the law school in Berkeley.

askyemcdonald

Silver

Post by askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:24 pm

Yea...looks like we won't hear about scholarships or aid until April. That's ok though.

Cpwilson

Bronze

Post by Cpwilson » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:53 pm

If Berkeley wants to stop dropping, maybe they should quit letting in 164s and start accepting 172s.

aesis

Bronze

Post by aesis » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:10 pm

Cpwilson wrote:If Berkeley wants to stop dropping, maybe they should quit letting in 164s and start accepting 172s.
I know you're being facetious, but ... --LinkRemoved--
Sorry about your ding, maybe if you had your LSAT score earlier? :\

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:35 pm

If I stay in SF, will it be hard to get out to Berkeley for the ASW stuff? That way I could stay with my friends, thereby making things less complex (hopefully).

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:42 pm

ahduth wrote:If I stay in SF, will it be hard to get out to Berkeley for the ASW stuff? That way I could stay with my friends, thereby making things less complex (hopefully).
You can take the BART. It may be a bit of a commute, depending on where they are.

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:16 pm

sarahh wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
sarahh wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:
Who were you trying to get them to match?
Michigan
Was it a large award? Sorry for prying, just thirsty for every bit of info regarding $.
Yes, it was the Darrow. I am not surprised but am sad that I cannot stay in the area. I was already a little down about not getting an RTK invite. I know I have good options though.
Wow, I'm sorry! And worried. A couple of questions for the general group: Do people think that the reason Berkeley didn't match was because of how high the amount was? And does not getting a Matching Scholarship preclude you from getting any scholarship money, or does it mean you might get a smaller amount, or could it mean you might even get a very generous amount - near the Darrow - but it just wouldn't be called a Matching Scholarship?

askyemcdonald

Silver

Post by askyemcdonald » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:38 pm

Not sure this has been said. But I emailed Financial Aid and they said need-based offers will be available by the week of ASW. :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:41 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:Not sure this has been said. But I emailed Financial Aid and they said need-based offers will be available by the week of ASW. :D
This is great news!

askyemcdonald

Silver

Post by askyemcdonald » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:44 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:Not sure this has been said. But I emailed Financial Aid and they said need-based offers will be available by the week of ASW. :D
This is great news!
Yep yep. I'm hoping they come close to UCLA's offer of $20,000 for next year...plus maybe a scholarship??? Pretty please? :D

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:45 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote: Wow, I'm sorry! And worried. A couple of questions for the general group: Do people think that the reason Berkeley didn't match was because of how high the amount was? And does not getting a Matching Scholarship preclude you from getting any scholarship money, or does it mean you might get a smaller amount, or could it mean you might even get a very generous amount - near the Darrow - but it just wouldn't be called a Matching Scholarship?
For my year, if you didn't get a matching scholarship, for the most part you were out of luck unless you are awarded need-based aid.

I think the amount matters, but that said I send in a smaller award and didn't get it matched, and someone sent in $90,000 at Duke and got it matched, so who knows.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:57 pm

Thanks for the recon!
Kronk wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote: Wow, I'm sorry! And worried. A couple of questions for the general group: Do people think that the reason Berkeley didn't match was because of how high the amount was? And does not getting a Matching Scholarship preclude you from getting any scholarship money, or does it mean you might get a smaller amount, or could it mean you might even get a very generous amount - near the Darrow - but it just wouldn't be called a Matching Scholarship?
For my year, if you didn't get a matching scholarship, for the most part you were out of luck unless you are awarded need-based aid.

I think the amount matters, but that said I send in a smaller award and didn't get it matched, and someone sent in $90,000 at Duke and got it matched, so who knows.
Yikes. Thanks for the response. Man oh man I hope Berkeley can come through with some aid... I really want to go there, and getting money would make it such a no-brainer.

jmartin87

New

Housing for Berkeley Law

Post by jmartin87 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:52 pm

Hi. I am a current 1L at Berkelely, here to recommend a housing option: the Berkeley International House.

It is literally across the street from the law school, has a dining hall that provides all meals, and it is a very social and fun atmosphere. There's a also a large group of law students there, so you'll be joining a fun crowd. The I-House is 50%/50% Grad/Undergrads, and 50%/50% foreign students/domestic students. About 75% of the law students at I-House are from the US.

Here are the pros and cons:

PRO:
- Location - 25 feet from the law school
- Food - you don't have to cook for yourself and there is a large dining hall with a ton of constantly-changing options for every meal
- Social - meals are very social, and the law students at i house get to know each other very well. Also, your hallmates are from all over, so you can meet a bunch of friends outside of the law school environment.
Note: All grad/law students are entitled to a single room if they want one (i.e., no roommates).

CON:
- Cooking - if you like cooking this probably isn't the best bet for you because there's only one kitchen and it's mostly only used for special occasions. i.e. don't expect to cook your own meals every day.
- Food package - you cannot live in I-House without buying the food package for the meals. Again, though, this is only a problem if you will be eating out a lot or cooking a lot. Also, some people think that the food options get kind of old after the first few months, but I've been here all of 1L year so far (7 months) and am still liking the options and the changing menus.

OTHER:
PRICE: the price is about $8,000 for rent and $4000 for food for the cheapest option. Also, if you want a large room overlooking the Bay Area, with a view of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge, those rooms are $11,000 for rent, 4k for food.
WEBSITE: For more info check out the Berkeley International House website at --LinkRemoved--
Applications are available on the website (and I think like 100% of those who apply get in if they apply early enough).

Also, if you have any generaly questions about Berkeley feel free to email me at thewordoftheday@gmail.com. And just so you know, I'm not affiliated or working for/with I-House; I'm posting this because I wish someone had told me about I-House and I didn't have to stumble across it by accident when I was searching for housing at Berkeley. Also, it'll be cool to grow the law school contingent at the I-House.

Congrats again on getting into Berkeley.

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:16 am

What do you guys recommend to apartment hunt? Craigslist?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:33 am

WonkyPanda wrote:What do you guys recommend to apartment hunt? Craigslist?
Craigslist or get in contact with landlords in Berkeley. I live in a great place right now for about $1000 a month, which is pretty normal here, but much nicer than you would get other places for $1000 on the south side of campus. I know my building always has openings, so let me know if you're interested and I can send you the contact information.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:29 am

Sure! That would be most appreciated. Also, I remember someone recommending..uhhhhh, "something" Rock. It's in Northern Oakland I believe. Anyways, they said it's a great area with similar rent to Berk, but with far better apartments.

champsound

Bronze

Post by champsound » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:27 am

WonkyPanda wrote:Sure! That would be most appreciated. Also, I remember someone recommending..uhhhhh, "something" Rock. It's in Northern Oakland I believe. Anyways, they said it's a great area with similar rent to Berk, but with far better apartments.
Rockridge. And yes, it is nicer. By far. (and it is actually far, although short bus ride). I don't know anything about prices there.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:57 am

Hey Konk or other current student--how cut and dry is the awarding of need-based aid? Is it literally just an equation that looks only at the financial situation of a student, or is it more subjective (i.e., used by the school to recruit those needy students it really wants, not necessarily all needy students admitted)?

I am trying to figure out how likely it will be for me to receive need based aid. Based purely on math, I should receive a lot (maybe even the maximum), but I'm not sure if I'm looking at this correctly.

TIA!

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:17 pm

Hey guys, do we have any kind of consensus for what the turn around time is on a matching request this time of year? The deadline isn't until late (April 29th), but I hope it doesn't take too long...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”