In at Berkeley! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: In at Berkeley!

Post by r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:49 pm

tkgrrett wrote: The cost of this all is just so nuts.
Hey stop complaining :P I am looking at about 150-200k no matter how I slice and dice it, and others are looking at more!

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:53 pm

r6_philly wrote:
tkgrrett wrote: The cost of this all is just so nuts.
Hey stop complaining :P I am looking at about 150-200k no matter how I slice and dice it, and others are looking at more!
Conclusion: we have all lost our minds.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:55 pm

tkgrrett wrote: Conclusion: we have all lost our minds.
I have sufficiently justified my decision to go to law school, I am just trying to pick the sweeter deal.

It will work out just fine! Pick what you like.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:59 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
tkgrrett wrote: Well I have a soft spot for Berkeley and the numbers are just overwhelming. Assuming I could get at least a 2L SA, I could comfortably graduate Berkeley with around 20K law school debt and all subsidized.
So it was a good thing? I thought you all but decided where to go.
Yeah, Ive deposited but Im still leaving my Berkeley scholarship open in case I have a change of heart. I have 11 days until it expires. Already withdrew from the darrow(which also hurt).

The cost of this all is just so nuts.
I'm confused. You deposited at Boalt or somewhere else?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:10 pm

Tanicius wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
tkgrrett wrote: Well I have a soft spot for Berkeley and the numbers are just overwhelming. Assuming I could get at least a 2L SA, I could comfortably graduate Berkeley with around 20K law school debt and all subsidized.
So it was a good thing? I thought you all but decided where to go.
Yeah, Ive deposited but Im still leaving my Berkeley scholarship open in case I have a change of heart. I have 11 days until it expires. Already withdrew from the darrow(which also hurt).

The cost of this all is just so nuts.
I'm confused. You deposited at Boalt or somewhere else?
Deposited at Harvard.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

juliachild-ish

Bronze

Post by juliachild-ish » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:11 pm

So it says $0 under "gifts," which means I didn't get any merit money, correct? Major bummer, and probably takes Berkeley out of the running for me. I mean, I'm still going to go to ASW, but...I thought they would at least give me a little something!

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:12 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:So it says $0 under "gifts," which means I didn't get any merit money, correct? Major bummer, and probably takes Berkeley out of the running for me. I mean, I'm still going to go to ASW, but...I thought they would at least give me a little something!
Seriously. Sorry you didn't get anything, but glad to know I am not the only one in this boat...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:13 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:So it says $0 under "gifts," which means I didn't get any merit money, correct? Major bummer, and probably takes Berkeley out of the running for me. I mean, I'm still going to go to ASW, but...I thought they would at least give me a little something!
I don't know if anyone has received non-matched merit aid. (anyone care to chime in if you got any?)

All I got are law grants (need-based). I am going to be pressing them with questions on Friday. I can't believe if they end up giving no merit scholarship to anyone without matching.

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:14 pm

r6_philly wrote:
I don't know if anyone has received non-matched merit aid. (anyone care to chime in if you got any?)

All I got are law grants (need-based). I am going to be pressing them with questions on Friday. I can't believe if they end up giving no merit scholarship to anyone without matching.
I feel like I should be qualifying for some of that need, haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blindc1rca

Bronze

Post by Blindc1rca » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:34 pm

aah!!! so if i have $0.00 next to Gift Aid does that mean that my Matching was denied? they don't send emails re: Matching? I've heard nothing...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:35 pm

cardinals1989 wrote: I feel like I should be qualifying for some of that need, haha.
Don't feel bad, I only received need from 2 schools - which surprised the heck out of me.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:36 pm

Blindc1rca wrote:aah!!! so if i have $0.00 next to Gift Aid does that mean that my Matching was denied? they don't send emails re: Matching? I've heard nothing...
I think matching is a separate process. So if you haven't heard back, I don't think they have decided yet.

Blindc1rca

Bronze

Post by Blindc1rca » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:41 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Blindc1rca wrote:aah!!! so if i have $0.00 next to Gift Aid does that mean that my Matching was denied? they don't send emails re: Matching? I've heard nothing...
I think matching is a separate process. So if you haven't heard back, I don't think they have decided yet.

thanks. a few more days of sanity! jesus that five digit number beginning with 77 made my heart sink.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:47 pm

Blindc1rca wrote:
thanks. a few more days of sanity! jesus that five digit number beginning with 77 made my heart sink.
TBF, it's only 5k more than comparable schools not in NYC. I don't know about C/N's budget, but I think it's justifiable to pay $400/months to have Bay weather over Philly weather.

It's too expensive anyway, just have to bit the bullet and look for the future.

Kiwi917

Bronze

Post by Kiwi917 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:50 pm

r6_philly wrote:
I called the admissions office about my matching app - they were able to check my file and tell me a decision had not been reached yet. I got an email with the matching award offer soon after calling, but the website showed $0.00 until just an hour ago (so $0.00 doesn't mean it was denied). If it is getting close to your other scholarship's deadline, my $0.02 is that it wouldn't hurt to call. The person I spoke with was very nice.

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:13 pm

Hey guys,

So, I was wondering if you currents students, or locals, can post a rundown of good apartments and other apartments that should be avoided like a Rebecca Black concert. ASW may be the only opportunity I get to scout some places, so any input is greatly appreciated. I know time will be limited at ASW, so i'd love to narrow it down before I get there. I know Rockridge has been mentioned, but maybe something a little more specific can be helpful (like streets or complex names).

Thanks!

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:53 pm

So, does anyone else have a "Student Loan and Work" or "Manage my Loans" section that is COMPLETELY BLANK? I've received generous need-based aid ("law grant"), but am anxious to see the loan information filled out as well. I know that the blank is probably not that big of a deal as everything beyond need-based aid can likely be covered by loan, but I am curious to find out if others' pages show ZERO loan information as well.

Also, has anyone been selected for "Verification"?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kiwi917

Bronze

Post by Kiwi917 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:56 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:So, does anyone else have a "Student Loan and Work" or "Manage my Loans" section that is COMPLETELY BLANK? I've received generous need-based aid ("law grant"), but am anxious to see the loan information filled out as well. I know that the blank is probably not that big of a deal as everything beyond need-based aid can likely be covered by loan, but I am curious to find out if others' pages show ZERO loan information as well.
That page is blank for me as well, but when I click on "award details", it gives the loan breakdown (as well as the grants). My guess is that the "manage my loans" section gets populated after you accept the offered loans, and is for keeping track of balances, entrance/exit counseling, etc.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:00 pm

Kiwi917 wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:So, does anyone else have a "Student Loan and Work" or "Manage my Loans" section that is COMPLETELY BLANK? I've received generous need-based aid ("law grant"), but am anxious to see the loan information filled out as well. I know that the blank is probably not that big of a deal as everything beyond need-based aid can likely be covered by loan, but I am curious to find out if others' pages show ZERO loan information as well.
That page is blank for me as well, but when I click on "award details", it gives the loan breakdown (as well as the grants). My guess is that the "manage my loans" section gets populated after you accept the offered loans, and is for keeping track of balances, entrance/exit counseling, etc.
Thanks for this information. Even my "Award Details" only outlines my grant info--no loan info. Anyone else out there like this?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:05 pm

my loan info is blank as well. I don't think they award loans until after they get your tax forms. (Same thing happened at my UG and Grad school)

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:06 pm

r6_philly wrote:my loan info is blank as well. I don't think they award loans until after they get your tax forms. (Same thing happened at my UG and Grad school)
Interesting. But then why have others received loan info? Have they submitted tax forms?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:07 pm

Kiwi917 wrote: That page is blank for me as well, but when I click on "award details", it gives the loan breakdown (as well as the grants). My guess is that the "manage my loans" section gets populated after you accept the offered loans, and is for keeping track of balances, entrance/exit counseling, etc.
You have your loan break down? Do they offer Perkins?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:08 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
r6_philly wrote:my loan info is blank as well. I don't think they award loans until after they get your tax forms. (Same thing happened at my UG and Grad school)
Interesting. But then why have others received loan info? Have they submitted tax forms?
Maybe because you have been selected for verification? I always get selected for verification because 1. SSA think I am not a citizen and 2. I have dependents and file 1040.

Kiwi917

Bronze

Post by Kiwi917 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:18 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Kiwi917 wrote: That page is blank for me as well, but when I click on "award details", it gives the loan breakdown (as well as the grants). My guess is that the "manage my loans" section gets populated after you accept the offered loans, and is for keeping track of balances, entrance/exit counseling, etc.
You have your loan break down? Do they offer Perkins?
I got a small "Federal Subsidized Direct Loan" (not the full $8,500, seems to be because my grant plus EFC total is too high), "Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loan" (the remaining amount to total $20,500 combined with the subsidized), and then "Federal Grad Plus Loan 1" for the remainder. Each one has a drop down menu with the options: offered, declined, accept full, accept partial.

I submitted a FAFSA using my final 2010 taxes and my parents' estimated figures. Now I'm hoping they will file on time so that I can update with the final info, although I doubt it will change anything.

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:27 pm

Kiwi917 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
I called the admissions office about my matching app - they were able to check my file and tell me a decision had not been reached yet. I got an email with the matching award offer soon after calling, but the website showed $0.00 until just an hour ago (so $0.00 doesn't mean it was denied). If it is getting close to your other scholarship's deadline, my $0.02 is that it wouldn't hurt to call. The person I spoke with was very nice.
Thanks for posting! It's good to know that zero doesn't necessarily mean that my matching application has been denied... at least, not yet :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”