In at Berkeley! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
WestOfTheRest

Silver

Re: In at Berkeley!

Post by WestOfTheRest » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:30 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote: Hmm, I reserve the right to change my opinion since it's still early, but as of right now, I think it would take Columbia to get me away from Boalt (assuming S is not in play of course). Idk though, I change my mind alot and am far from set on any school.
I wonder how most people end up making the decision. I have no idea how I will do it. Hopefully HYS will do it for me? Would it be weird if we end up at Columbia for some strange turn of events.
What's going to do it for me is either money or a T3 accpetance. We shall see.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:32 pm

r6_philly wrote:
gatorgirl4life wrote: i'm having a reallyy hard time deciding, too! i feel like i would prefer berkeley over chicago (although possibly NYU over both?)...but i reallyyy want to know how much of the chicago = where fun goes to die and berkeley = laid back/friendly stereotypes are true! cali's economy makes me a bit wary, but i've also never seen snow before and don't know if i could survive winters in chicago or nyc... :?
I don't know about Chicago but both my wife and I feel that Bay Area people are a lot more pleasant (there is really no comparison) than Philly/NYC people. However you will be going to school with a lot of non-natives so it may not be that much different in school. Snow won't be that bad in the cities at all, you just have to get used to the cold outside.
If I end up at Chicago/NYC, i'm planning on building tunnels to get me to the law school and back, as well as the grocery store and the gym.

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:32 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote: Hmm, I reserve the right to change my opinion since it's still early, but as of right now, I think it would take Columbia to get me away from Boalt (assuming S is not in play of course). Idk though, I change my mind alot and am far from set on any school.
I wonder how most people end up making the decision. I have no idea how I will do it. Hopefully HYS will do it for me? Would it be weird if we end up at Columbia for some strange turn of events.
Money, although that might mean I'm destined for Michigan or Duke.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:32 pm

Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
gatorgirl4life wrote: i'm having a reallyy hard time deciding, too! i feel like i would prefer berkeley over chicago (although possibly NYU over both?)...but i reallyyy want to know how much of the chicago = where fun goes to die and berkeley = laid back/friendly stereotypes are true! cali's economy makes me a bit wary, but i've also never seen snow before and don't know if i could survive winters in chicago or nyc... :?
I don't know about Chicago but both my wife and I feel that Bay Area people are a lot more pleasant (there is really no comparison) than Philly/NYC people. However you will be going to school with a lot of non-natives so it may not be that much different in school. Snow won't be that bad in the cities at all, you just have to get used to the cold outside.
If I end up at Chicago/NYC, i'm planning on building tunnels to get me to the law school and back, as well as the grocery store and the gym.
So you dont have to deal with cold, or so you dont have to deal with the people?

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:33 pm

mrmangs wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
At this point I will only go T6 with the exception of Berk.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:33 pm

Knock wrote: If I end up at Chicago/NYC, i'm planning on building tunnels to get me to the law school and back, as well as the grocery store and the gym.
There are grocery stores in NYC? :lol:

You don't go out the day after the storm, and things will be cleared the next day.

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:34 pm

CastleRock wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
At this point I will only go T6 with the exception of Berk.
Yeah, I'd have a hard time turning down Berk, even with money in play. Don't think I would take CCN over it either... Maybe Columbia. Certainly Stanford though, haha.

gatorgirl4life

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl4life » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:36 pm

CastleRock wrote:
Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
So you dont have to deal with cold, or so you dont have to deal with the people?
hahahaha and thanks for the reply, philly!

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:31 pm

Joining in, just got in yesterday! VERY excited about Berkeley can't wait to visit 4/8!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:32 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:Joining in, just got in yesterday! VERY excited about Berkeley can't wait to visit 4/8!
Congrats! See you there!

Blindc1rca

Bronze

Post by Blindc1rca » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:34 pm

In today via e-mail!
170/3.8X

shyde32

New

Post by shyde32 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:35 pm

Blindc1rca wrote:In today via e-mail!
170/3.8X
Congrats! Sounds like a lot are coming back today.

juliachild-ish

Bronze

Post by juliachild-ish » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:09 pm

I'm joining the crowd! Got in today, my first acceptance of the cycle. I'm pretty darn excited! Definitely going to Admitted Students Weekend.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:30 am

Been thinking about Berkeley alllll day long. Can't sleep. I cannot wait to visit! My other status checkers are feeling neglected I'm sure.

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:26 pm

Has anyone gotten any scholarship information. I know my numbers are low, but even a tiny scholarship (merit or need based) would make Berkeley my obvious #1 right now.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:29 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:Has anyone gotten any scholarship information. I know my numbers are low, but even a tiny scholarship (merit or need based) would make Berkeley my obvious #1 right now.
I don't think so just yet.

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:32 pm

Knock wrote:
rbarcelo9 wrote:Has anyone gotten any scholarship information. I know my numbers are low, but even a tiny scholarship (merit or need based) would make Berkeley my obvious #1 right now.
:? Don't they know I can't sleep. I've been crunching numbers, donating semen and plasma (simultaneously of course), and selling lemonade. Trying to make Berkeley attend-able.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:32 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:
Knock wrote:
:? Don't they know I can't sleep. I've been crunching numbers, donating semen and plasma (simultaneously of course), and selling lemonade. Trying to make Berkeley attend-able.

:lol: :lol: :lol:. I admire your spirit man. I hope you get some money :). Don't forget about donating bone marrow as well.

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:36 pm

Knock wrote:
rbarcelo9 wrote:
Knock wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:. I admire your spirit man. I hope you get some money :). Don't forget about donating bone marrow as well.
Completely forgot about bone marrow! Trying to get my gf to agree to donate her eggs, but she's hesitant.

dot

Bronze

Post by dot » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:48 pm

Hm, I'm in at Berkeley.

Question to all those who are super pro-B, why do you favor it over CCN (location aside)? Personal reasons (eg law specialty) are welcome.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:55 pm

dot wrote:Hm, I'm in at Berkeley.

Question to all those who are super pro-B, why do you favor it over CCN (location aside)? Personal reasons (eg law specialty) are welcome.
Aren't you in at S?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dot

Bronze

Post by dot » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:56 pm

Knock wrote:
dot wrote:Hm, I'm in at Berkeley.

Aren't you in at S?
Yea, I'm just curious about how people judge/select schools.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:05 pm

browsed through this thread just now. I got in on the 19th.
Pretty excited. I think that B is my top choice outside of HYS. Before I retook it was my reach and dream school.

If I get one of HYS I may have to go there. Hopefully S so I could stay in cali :)

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:19 pm

jd20132013 wrote:
If I get one of HYS I may have to go there. Hopefully S so I could stay in cali :)
yes, you and everyone's mom. :lol:

aesis

Bronze

Post by aesis » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:05 pm

Based on last year's thread it seems like Berkeley is really stingy with matching. I don't have any offers yet so it looks like I'll be relying on need-based aid to survive. Luckily there's that magnificent LRAP I keep hearing about.

If you're one year out of school and living on your own, how do you demonstrate financial independence? I think this will be pretty important for me grants-wise and I'm hoping the very occasional help from my parents won't mitigate my months and months of self-sufficiency this past year. Problem is I graduated in June so half of 2010 I was dependent, but legally I'm independent according to age and will be claiming myself for this year's IRS forms ...

Anyone know anything about demonstrating financial independence for Berkeley? I have yet to ask the office. I don't know where the Statement of Independence form can be found and a quick search on TLS yields vague, unanswered queries :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”