In at Berkeley! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Boggs

Bronze

Re: In at Berkeley!

Post by Boggs » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:15 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Boggs wrote:
I will be there unless the last leg of my drive (Colorado to Berkeley) takes longer than I think it will.

Looking forward to it!
Hey man, hows the drive going? Looking forward to hanging out again.
I've been regrouping (trying to fit everything in my car) at my dad's house (Mass) and I'm departing for Michigan tomorrow.

See you a week from Thursday. Should be a great time!

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:18 pm

The real event to look forward to is that soul food BBQ. MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:19 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:The real event to look forward to is that soul food BBQ. MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm
+1

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:20 pm

Boggs wrote: I've been regrouping (trying to fit everything in my car) at my dad's house (Mass) and I'm departing for Michigan tomorrow.

See you a week from Thursday. Should be a great time!
Cool, safe drive!

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:26 pm

Can't wait to get back out to Cali next week!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

artemish85

New

Post by artemish85 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:14 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
r6_philly wrote: I stopped by a gas station near Ashville, NC around maybe 9-10PM in the summer time. Went to the bathroom behind the building and there was a Klan meeting taking place. They first started saying stuff then all started coming towards me. I had to flee like my life depended on it. It was scary. About 10 years ago.

I also came across one in PA, but they weren't really aggressive. It was earlier in the day and it was a public rally so maybe that's why they behaved better.
That is crazy but completely believeable I lived in south carolina for a year and saw stuff there that I could never have even imagined. Being from Chicago you see racisim but it's more the vieled we're not going to hire you or let you buy a house in this community, rather than the you got five seconds to leave before we bash your teeth in sort of thing.
I have lived in South Carolina for 35 years, in both urban and very rural areas, and I have never met a Klansman nor have I been invited to a Klan meeting. While I agree that anyone who is associated with the Klan is ignorant and probably chromosomally challenged, I highly doubt what you saw behind the gas station at 9pm was a Klan Meeting.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:39 am

artemish85 wrote:
I have lived in South Carolina for 35 years, in both urban and very rural areas, and I have never met a Klansman nor have I been invited to a Klan meeting. While I agree that anyone who is associated with the Klan is ignorant and probably chromosomally challenged, I highly doubt what you saw behind the gas station at 9pm was a Klan Meeting.
Would the fact that they told me it was a Klan meeting suffice?

artemish85

New

Post by artemish85 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:26 am

r6_philly wrote:Would the fact that they told me it was a Klan meeting suffice?
Sure.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:04 pm

artemish85 wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
r6_philly wrote: I stopped by a gas station near Ashville, NC around maybe 9-10PM in the summer time. Went to the bathroom behind the building and there was a Klan meeting taking place. They first started saying stuff then all started coming towards me. I had to flee like my life depended on it. It was scary. About 10 years ago.

I also came across one in PA, but they weren't really aggressive. It was earlier in the day and it was a public rally so maybe that's why they behaved better.
That is crazy but completely believeable I lived in south carolina for a year and saw stuff there that I could never have even imagined. Being from Chicago you see racisim but it's more the vieled we're not going to hire you or let you buy a house in this community, rather than the you got five seconds to leave before we bash your teeth in sort of thing.

Well in Aiken, S.C. They had a Klan rally in 2006. it was one of the most scariest thing I have ever seen they were just walking through the street. It was crazy. My friend who lives there and is black just kind of blew it off like it was normal. Now please don't think I'm singling out S.C. I worked for a suburb of Chicago for a while and we had a Klan rally there as well. Although that was pretty funny it was like maybe 30 people there dressed in their robes and I would say at least 500 people (90% white) there holding a counter rally against the Klan. It got a little rowdy and the anti klan people actually made the klan people leave early for fear of their safety.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fish52

Bronze

Post by fish52 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:56 pm

Not that this has much to do with Boalt, but I grew up in southern Louisiana and my grandfather was a Klansman. Other than that, the organization is a shell of its former self and doesn't really exist in any meaningful form. What small groups do still exist, many of them are against the use of traditional forms of Klan intimidation (burning crosses, etc). Those of you who experienced Klan "meetings," I don't think they actually wear their robes except on very rare occasions for special ceremonies- so if you saw them wearing robes then I'm pretty impressed... they only do that sort of thing way out in the middle of fields after nightfall (since there is a stigma attached to the Klan even among most Southern whites). And the rallies are generally attended by the Klansmen from all over the country who gather and still only form small crowds... it doesn't say much, if anything, about the actual Klan presence in that individual town or state. I am generally resistant to this characterization of the South as a hotspot for the Klan, as though on any given weekday you might see a Klan rally moving down main street or african americans should be scared about driving through rural Alabama. I have a problem with this characterization, just as I would to characterizing Asians, AA, etc by their racial stereotypes or darker artifacts of their culture.

Not to say that those of you who are claiming to see these things didn't, but just that you were "privileged" to a very rare occurrence if you did, and that needs to be noted.

powerlawyer06

Bronze

Post by powerlawyer06 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:05 pm

Lets not get off topic.

Lets keep this thread about Berkeley. The Klan, racism, and the south can be discussed in other forums.

fish52

Bronze

Post by fish52 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:07 pm

powerlawyer06 wrote:Lets not get off topic.

Lets keep this thread about Berkeley. The Klan, racism, and the south can be discussed in other forums.
What if I'm wanting to work on civil rights law for someone like The Southern Poverty Law Center and I'm curious about how Boalt places with similar NGOs....? :wink:

powerlawyer06

Bronze

Post by powerlawyer06 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:16 pm

fish52 wrote:

What if I'm wanting to work on civil rights law for someone like the southern poverty law center and I'm curious about how Boalt places with similar NGOs....? :wink:
That works. Any topic is acceptable as long as you phrase it in the form of a prospective Boalt student inquiry.

Example Topic: Libya
Example question: How do you think the United States involvement in the Libyan civil war will affect the class of 2014? Will the federal government have to defund IBR to pay for the war?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fish52

Bronze

Post by fish52 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:25 pm

powerlawyer06 wrote:
fish52 wrote:

What if I'm wanting to work on civil rights law for someone like the southern poverty law center and I'm curious about how Boalt places with similar NGOs....? :wink:
That works. Any topic is acceptable as long as you phrase it in the form of a prospective Boalt student inquiry.

Example Topic: Libya
Example question: How do you think the United States involvement in the Libyan civil war will affect the class of 2014? Will the federal government have to defund IBR to pay for the war?
Got it, so let me try it out.
Topic: Libya
Question: How would inaction in Libya have resulted in more job openings at the Hague for Boalt grads as a result of the subsequent trials resulting from the massacre of thousands of Libyans by Gaddafi.
I think I can do this...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:37 pm

fish52 wrote:Not that this has much to do with Boalt, but I grew up in southern Louisiana and my grandfather was a Klansman. Other than that, the organization is a shell of its former self and doesn't really exist in any meaningful form. What small groups do still exist, many of them are against the use of traditional forms of Klan intimidation (burning crosses, etc). Those of you who experienced Klan "meetings," I don't think they actually wear their robes except on very rare occasions for special ceremonies- so if you saw them wearing robes then I'm pretty impressed... they only do that sort of thing way out in the middle of fields after nightfall (since there is a stigma attached to the Klan even among most Southern whites). And the rallies are generally attended by the Klansmen from all over the country who gather and still only form small crowds... it doesn't say much, if anything, about the actual Klan presence in that individual town or state. I am generally resistant to this characterization of the South as a hotspot for the Klan, as though on any given weekday you might see a Klan rally moving down main street or african americans should be scared about driving through rural Alabama. I have a problem with this characterization, just as I would to characterizing Asians, AA, etc by their racial stereotypes or darker artifacts of their culture.

Not to say that those of you who are claiming to see these things didn't, but just that you were "privileged" to a very rare occurrence if you did, and that needs to be noted.
It was easier for me to make rational assessment of the racial divide of this country until I had personal experiences. I have traveled through the south extensively. I will not say that the north is any less racist than the south, but it manifest itself differently, and it is harder to ignore in the south. I was also involved in some focal events in the south bringing the racial divide to the surface, so I may be more exposed to it more than most people living in the South.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:41 pm

fish52 wrote:Not that this has much to do with Boalt, but I grew up in southern Louisiana and my grandfather was a Klansman. Other than that, the organization is a shell of its former self and doesn't really exist in any meaningful form. What small groups do still exist, many of them are against the use of traditional forms of Klan intimidation (burning crosses, etc). Those of you who experienced Klan "meetings," I don't think they actually wear their robes except on very rare occasions for special ceremonies- so if you saw them wearing robes then I'm pretty impressed... they only do that sort of thing way out in the middle of fields after nightfall (since there is a stigma attached to the Klan even among most Southern whites). And the rallies are generally attended by the Klansmen from all over the country who gather and still only form small crowds... it doesn't say much, if anything, about the actual Klan presence in that individual town or state. I am generally resistant to this characterization of the South as a hotspot for the Klan, as though on any given weekday you might see a Klan rally moving down main street or african americans should be scared about driving through rural Alabama. I have a problem with this characterization, just as I would to characterizing Asians, AA, etc by their racial stereotypes or darker artifacts of their culture.

Funny post. You know that Mississippi only ratified the 13th Amendment in 1995? Racism is certainly a dark artifact of the South..

powerlawyer06

Bronze

Post by powerlawyer06 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:44 pm

I tried to head off the racial debate but there is no stopping it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fish52

Bronze

Post by fish52 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:39 pm

Kronk wrote:

Funny post. You know that Mississippi only ratified the 13th Amendment in 1995? Racism is certainly a dark artifact of the South..
Texas, Kansas, Montana and Oklahoma still have laws that make homosexuality illegal, despite Lawrence, I guess they are all a bunch of homophobes then. C'mon, this sort of thing hardly means anything-- there are still laws in Oklahoma about having to have someone run in front of your carriage before it comes to an intersection so that people know you're coming.

Does racism still exist in these places? Sure. But is it fair to say that the STATE of Mississippi is racist? No. That's a terrible generalization, and is equally as disgusting as the slew of generalizations that racists make about minorities.

aesis

Bronze

Post by aesis » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:48 pm

I'll be at APALSA dinner :)

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:19 pm

fish52 wrote:
Kronk wrote:

Texas, Kansas, Montana and Oklahoma still have laws that make homosexuality illegal, despite Lawrence, I guess they are all a bunch of homophobes then. C'mon, this sort of thing hardly means anything-- there are still laws in Oklahoma about having to have someone run in front of your carriage before it comes to an intersection so that people know you're coming.

Does racism still exist in these places? Sure. But is it fair to say that the STATE of Mississippi is racist? No. That's a terrible generalization, and is equally as disgusting as the slew of generalizations that racists make about minorities.
I don't think that's what he's saying. Clearly the whole state of mississippi isn't racist. But you'd also have to acknowledge that Mississippi has had a horrible history of race relations in comparisions to a place like say... Bay area where a great law school like Berkeley is located (just trying to keep it on topic). And no it's not all in the past. For instance a friend of mine from Missisisippi was telling me her school had segragated proms. Segregrated proms in this century is just crazy. I think if they tried that in Chicago the black and the white people would revolt. I don't think anybody is piling on the south but the truth is if Berkeley was located in the deep south I probably wouldn't consider it.

fish52

Bronze

Post by fish52 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:45 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote: I don't think that's what he's saying. Clearly the whole state of mississippi isn't racist. But you'd also have to acknowledge that Mississippi has had a horrible history of race relations in comparisions to a place like say... Bay area where a great law school like Berkeley is located (just trying to keep it on topic). And no it's not all in the past. For instance a friend of mine from Missisisippi was telling me her school had segragated proms. Segregrated proms in this century is just crazy. I think if they tried that in Chicago the black and the white people would revolt. I don't think anybody is piling on the south but the truth is if Berkeley was located in the deep south I probably wouldn't consider it.
First bolded sentence is my point.
Second bolded sentence is why I give up.
Third bolded sentence is why I at least have the go out by saying the following:

One time I saw a black person steal something. Look, I'm not saying ALL black people steal, just that if Boalt were in a heavily black area I wouldn't go there. Oh, and my friend once told me about seeing a drunk Native American at a bar. I'm not saying that EVERY Native American is an uncontrollable drunk, but just that I wouldn't choose to live in a community with a lot of Native Americans. I saw on the news that the HIV rate in gay communities is really high, I'm not saying ALL gays have AIDS, but I certainly won't go to a school with a large gay community for safety reasons.

Do you see why this train of thought pisses me off?

OK, I'm done. Racial/Sexual prejudice isn't OK, but regional prejudice is. Got it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:56 pm

Back on topic: how many events at this ASW will involve the school funding glorious amounts of booze for the admits?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:23 pm

fish52 wrote:
Kronk wrote:

Actually, Texas, Kansas, Montana and Oklahoma largely are "a bunch of homophobes."

And the 13th Amendment came up to be ratified and was voted down regularly in Mississippi throughout the 1900s and into the 1980s and 1990s. Is the legislature a good representation of the beliefs of the people of Mississippi? That's what they are voted in for.

Edit: It's also worth noting that no one here, ever said all of Mississippi or southern states were racist. Just that racist people exist in a much higher proportion there, as seen by impromptu Klan rallies in S.C. gas stations. Protip from me would be, if you don't want to start arguments like this, don't defend the KKK.
Last edited by Kronk on Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:24 pm

What about a state like CA where a majority of the drug convictions are of minority individuals despite many more white individuals using said drugs? Are we allowed to use that sort of evidence to make claims about institutional racism in a state? Surely, anti-gay laws in Oklahoma reflect majority opinion about homosexual acts, or, at the very least, a majority that is deeply ambivalent about gay rights. Would it not be fair to characterize that state a certain way? Or, take South Dakota, for instance, where they now have the strictist and most religious abortion laws in the country. We can't assume the majority of South Dakotans are at least tacit participants in this?

Let's not go overboard with PCness, folks. Laws have a real effect and a state can most certainly be characterized as racist if there are enough facts to back it up.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:28 pm

[quote="Kronk"]Texas, Kansas, Montana and Oklahoma still have laws that make homosexuality illegal, despite Lawrence, I guess they are all a bunch of homophobes then. C'mon, this sort of thing hardly means anything-- there are still laws in Oklahoma about having to have someone run in front of your carriage before it comes to an intersection so that people know you're coming.

Actually, Texas, Kansas, Montana and Oklahoma largely are "a bunch of homophobes."

And the 13th Amendment came up to be ratified and was voted down regularly in Mississippi throughout the 1900s and into the 1980s and 1990s. Is the legislature a good representation of the beliefs of the people of Mississippi? That's what they are voted in for.

Edit: It's also worth noting that no one here, ever said all of Mississippi or southern states were racist. Just that racist people exist in a much higher proportion there, as seen by impromptu Klan rallies in S.C. gas stations. Protip from me would be, if you don't want to start arguments like this, don't defend the KKK.[/quote]

Great protip.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”