In at Berkeley! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
aesis

Bronze

Re: In at Berkeley!

Post by aesis » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:05 pm

Loved it. 95% sure I'm attending. It was more of an affirmation than a tipping point kind of weekend.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:11 pm

Tanicius wrote:
forward wrote:
cmaas wrote:I tentatively committed.
but that tentative is a 95% sure thing. leaving a little wiggle room for $ negotiations, but pretty sure i'm going to enroll.
Yup, same here.
When you guys say $ negotiations, do you mean that you are going to proactively negotiate with the school (i.e., write them a letter or call them up) or are you just hoping that by playing coy the school will throw some money at you to help you make your decision?

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:21 pm

Although it pains me to do so, I will be withdrawing from Berk. I had an amazing time at ASP and all the people I met (admits and current students) were all very chill people.

jtravis

New

Post by jtravis » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:47 pm

Do you guys know if there is any list somewhere of the people that attended ASW? I met so many amazing people that I would like to keep in touch with, but we did not exchange information. For example, I know <First Name> from <Undergrad Institution>, but don't think that's enough to track down on FB. Any ideas?

askyemcdonald

Silver

Post by askyemcdonald » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:01 pm

aesis wrote:Loved it. 95% sure I'm attending. It was more of an affirmation than a tipping point kind of weekend.
+1

EDIT: I'm 100% sure though. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

askyemcdonald

Silver

Post by askyemcdonald » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:02 pm

r6_philly wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:Ok Ok I totally forgot my spongebob pin! And I missed the diversity dinner :( I was wearing a bright red pea coat! There were so many people it feels like the chances of running into you guys was so slim! I gave the comment about Dudley taking power into his own hands and a judge not liking that though he has the same power over Dudley life. Lol not to out myself. But I hope to see you guys next year! Just found my apartment today too. So it's official! :)
I was looking for the pin!!!

I sat in the front row right in front of Dean Tom, I also raised my hand when he asked "who wants to take the LSAT right now?" :mrgreen:
Nice! Yea..no pin. I spaced on it. But I'll be there this fall. So my name is obvious, so once you hear it said you will know who I am.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:10 pm

It's official--I'll be a bear for the next three years. Very excited! See you all (or some of y'all) there!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:11 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:It's official--I'll be a bear for the next three years. Very excited! See you all (or some of y'all) there!
That was quick! Letter's not even there yet...

I clicked the tentative button today.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:12 pm

askyemcdonald wrote: Nice! Yea..no pin. I spaced on it. But I'll be there this fall. So my name is obvious, so once you hear it said you will know who I am.
Who names their kid obvious??? :P

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:13 pm

jtravis wrote:Do you guys know if there is any list somewhere of the people that attended ASW? I met so many amazing people that I would like to keep in touch with, but we did not exchange information. For example, I know <First Name> from <Undergrad Institution>, but don't think that's enough to track down on FB. Any ideas?
Not that I know of. I traded email addresses with one person, but kinda wish I would have with a few others. Oh well, August isn't that far away :D .

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:15 pm

r6_philly wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:It's official--I'll be a bear for the next three years. Very excited! See you all (or some of y'all) there!
That was quick! Letter's not even there yet...

I clicked the tentative button today.
Yea, I'm still in review at a few amazing schools, and received some very generous offers from T25 schools, but am confident that Berkeley is the place for me.

I really hope Berkeley (or whatever other school you decide on) works out great for you!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:18 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote: Yea, I'm still in review at a few amazing schools, and received some very generous offers from T25 schools, but am confident that Berkeley is the place for me.

I really hope Berkeley (or whatever other school you decide on) works out great for you!
Thanks! It's funny what happened today bears no weight in my decision making process. I have 2 more decision to go, and I hate to have it all come down to a coin toss. I just can't reason one of the others right now. I was hoping H/S will tip the balance for me but no dice :lol:

I really do love what I saw at ASW. Only if that's all it takes for me to make a decision. If it was 10 years ago ...

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:22 pm

r6_philly wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote: Yea, I'm still in review at a few amazing schools, and received some very generous offers from T25 schools, but am confident that Berkeley is the place for me.

Thanks! It's funny what happened today bears no weight in my decision making process. I have 2 more decision to go, and I hate to have it all come down to a coin toss. I just can't reason one of the others right now. I was hoping H/S will tip the balance for me but no dice :lol:

I really do love what I saw at ASW. Only if that's all it takes for me to make a decision. If it was 10 years ago ...
Yea, you have a lot to think about. Did you hear from H today in addition to S?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:45 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote: Yea, you have a lot to think about. Did you hear from H today in addition to S?
No H is still UR, so is NYU. I have a feeling I will have a def. answer from all 3 by week's end.

champsound

Bronze

Post by champsound » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:19 pm

Withdrew today. Felt kind of sad knowing I wouldn't be back at my undergrad. Go Bears.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:24 pm

champsound wrote:Withdrew today. Felt kind of sad knowing I wouldn't be back at my undergrad. Go Bears.
Sad to see you go. Columbia?

champsound

Bronze

Post by champsound » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:55 pm

r6_philly wrote:
champsound wrote:Withdrew today. Felt kind of sad knowing I wouldn't be back at my undergrad. Go Bears.
Sad to see you go. Columbia?
Likely, but I'm still holding out for H and NYU could still happen.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

askyemcdonald

Silver

Post by askyemcdonald » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:13 pm

Woo Hoo! Go Bears!

I just signed my lease for next year. Was a productive weekend. :D

fish52

Bronze

Post by fish52 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:30 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:
Woo Hoo! Go Bears!

I just signed my lease for next year. Was a productive weekend. :D
Geez! Already? haha BTW were you the one that said you were getting married before school starts during the "How to Pay for Law School" session?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:49 am

So did any of you NOT enjoy ASW(I couldnt go)?? If so, want to give some details on why? I have 2 days before my UCB scholarship offer officially expires and turning it down is officially starting to freak me out.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:51 am

tkgrrett wrote:So did any of you NOT enjoy ASW(I couldnt go)?? If so, want to give some details on why? I have 2 days before my UCB scholarship offer officially expires and turning it down is officially starting to freak me out.
I think you should go to Harvard. And if you feel missing out about Berkeley, do the exchange program.

Or, go to Berkeley and use the exchange program to go to Harvard. They told me your financial aid would still work if you are in the exchange program so you get to go for a year for free.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

re-applicant

Bronze

Post by re-applicant » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:53 pm

tkgrrett wrote:So did any of you NOT enjoy ASW(I couldnt go)?? If so, want to give some details on why? I have 2 days before my UCB scholarship offer officially expires and turning it down is officially starting to freak me out.
I was a bit underwhelmed by the programming after visiting NYU's ASW the week before.

-The Dean's speech was okay, but that's not the kind of thing I put a lot of weight into. The major negative that stood out to me from this part was that during both this and the subsequent student life panel, there was a lot of noise from the construction going on overhead. I would expect them to at least pause the construction for two hours during one of their most important days of the year.

-Professor Murray was an amazing lecturer, and current students told me that she is just as amazing, if not a little bit harsher, during her actual class. That said, I don't put much weight into mock classes as I do into viewing real ones. School's are going to showcase their best lecturers and you don't get to observe the behavior of real students in class.

-The rest of the day was fairly standard. They served lunch from a taco truck and Top Dawg (a local hot dog joint), and then had panels to choose from. But they definitely didn't roll out big guns like NYU did when they brought Marty Lipton and other important people for a panel on corporate governance and risk management. The whole event seemed more low key (as the lunch might indicate), which can definitely be a plus for some people. Regardless, I felt like the panel offerings were less diverse and less useful than they were at NYU.

-A lot of people said the Career Development Office isn't that helpful. But other people said that people who say that expect the CDO to hand you a job, and emphasized that there are tons of resources if you have the initiative to seek them out. I'm not sure how to evaluate this, and I worry that people in the latter camp are attacking a strawman.

On the positive side:

-I think the events spanning from Thurs-Sat really emphasized the social environment at Boalt. Despite finals being 3 weeks away, tons of 1L's were out. On Thursday, I met current students at the Diversity dinner, the Men of Color Association hangout at a bar, and Bar Review. On Friday, there was reception with kegs in the student lounge, then a ton of student group dinners/happy hours, and then a house party in an empty frat house. Everyone gave me the line about Boalt being a very relaxed place to go to law school, throwing in a "we're very collegial here" and a "we're not like Columbia/Harvard/etc" here and there for good measure. While people at every school say this, I think the level of 1L involvement in extracurricular activities supports their claim a little bit more. That said, I didn't manage to interact with current students as much at NYU, so I'm not sure if I have a good basis for comparison.

-To expand on 1L extracurricular involvement, it seemed like nearly everyone I spoke to was involved not only in normal student groups (standard), but also student-run clinics and journals. For instance, I dropped by a CARC happy hour (not sure what it stands for, but it's the asylum clinic) where 1L's talked about helping people attain asylum. Also, for journals that aren't law review, there is no application process. People can just join, and you can do so as a 1L.
Last edited by re-applicant on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:58 pm

NYU is pretty laid-back too. I think they did a study on how much students study and out of the top schools, NYU studied least. When I went to NYU ASW there were tons of 1Ls out. I think of NYU / Boalt as opposite-coast equivalents. Both laid back, both PI schools, etc.

samboy

New

Post by samboy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:11 pm

Anyone know when the seat deposit deadline is? thanks.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:18 pm

samboy wrote:Anyone know when the seat deposit deadline is? thanks.
6/1

ETA you have to give a response by 4/15 but no money is due.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”