In at Berkeley! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sad_squirrel

New

Re: In at Berkeley!

Post by sad_squirrel » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:26 pm

sarcasticswede wrote:r6 I only have one but I was in the second batch of admits (12/6)... but the mailing day for mine is also 12/14 which makes me think that unfortunately maybe the system lists the mailing as sent to all admits so far or something along those lines? hopefully i'm wrong
I was also admitted later than r6, et al. (on 12/3).

sarcasticswede

New

Post by sarcasticswede » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:29 pm

sad_squirrel wrote:
sarcasticswede wrote:r6 I only have one but I was in the second batch of admits (12/6)... but the mailing day for mine is also 12/14 which makes me think that unfortunately maybe the system lists the mailing as sent to all admits so far or something along those lines? hopefully i'm wrong
I was also admitted later than r6, et al. (on 12/3).

correction: i was in the third batch of admits : )

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:34 pm

Haha what if it is an errant update... I guess we will wait and see.

They did mention on the phone before that we will go through the scholarship committee later so I think at least some of us will receive offers. When I don't know. Here is to hoping!

Thanks everyone!

jd2014!

Bronze

Post by jd2014! » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:20 pm

r6_philly wrote:Haha what if it is an errant update... I guess we will wait and see.

They did mention on the phone before that we will go through the scholarship committee later so I think at least some of us will receive offers. When I don't know. Here is to hoping!

Thanks everyone!

Unfortunately, this is the most likely scenario, I think. Haha. Making something out of nothing = my new favorite pastime. Until Monday!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:01 pm

Two questions. 1) Has anyone received the 12/14 mailing yet? 2) Would it be possible to do something in IP with a liberal arts background? I know Boalt is very highly ranked for IP, and i'm kind of intrigued.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:26 pm

Knock wrote:Two questions. 1) Has anyone received the 12/14 mailing yet? 2) Would it be possible to do something in IP with a liberal arts background? I know Boalt is very highly ranked for IP, and i'm kind of intrigued.
I think it is generally thought that you don't need a certain background for IP, only for patent. It isn't very hard to understand copyright/trademark type of IP issues, it is an entirely different issue with understanding patents.

I need to find out exactly where Berkeley stand against Stanford in my desired field. Maybe I should be drinking to the fact that I got into the #1 program (instead of worrying about Stanford) :mrgreen: Maybe I am a great fit here but not really elsewhere ... would explain the slowness of my other apps.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:28 pm

I didn't get anything in the mail today. I also started to read through last year's Berkeley thread. Apparently the matching program isn't particularly strong, I am really curious to see if I will get any $$$ from admissions.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:45 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:Two questions. 1) Has anyone received the 12/14 mailing yet? 2) Would it be possible to do something in IP with a liberal arts background? I know Boalt is very highly ranked for IP, and i'm kind of intrigued.
I think it is generally thought that you don't need a certain background for IP, only for patent. It isn't very hard to understand copyright/trademark type of IP issues, it is an entirely different issue with understanding patents.

I need to find out exactly where Berkeley stand against Stanford in my desired field. Maybe I should be drinking to the fact that I got into the #1 program (instead of worrying about Stanford) :mrgreen: Maybe I am a great fit here but not really elsewhere ... would explain the slowness of my other apps.
If you get into SLS, go there. If not, come to B ;).

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:47 pm

Knock wrote:
Is that what you are doing at this point?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:03 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:
Not sure. Scholarship money will definitely play a major part in my decision.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:18 pm

I got a big pile of junk from these Berkeley people today. I started trying to read it, but I don't know... reading is hard. Thinking of getting hooked on phonics before I start school.

I was more concerned that the mailman couldn't fit the thing through the mail slot. I'm very unclear on what's going to happen if something like that happens when I'm not actually home.

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:22 pm

ahduth wrote:
I got a big pile of junk from these Berkeley people today. I started trying to read it, but I don't know... reading is hard. Thinking of getting hooked on phonics before I start school.

I was more concerned that the mailman couldn't fit the thing through the mail slot. I'm very unclear on what's going to happen if something like that happens when I'm not actually home.
What's in it? This isn't your admit packet, right?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:26 pm

forward21 wrote:
ahduth wrote:

What's in it? This isn't your admit packet, right?
Well, yeah, but they already emailed me all the stuff for the calnet ID and all that jazz. This is all just shiny junk making fun of Chicago's mean temperature in January. As if I needed to be reminded how damn cold it is outside.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:38 pm

ahduth wrote:
Well, yeah, but they already emailed me all the stuff for the calnet ID and all that jazz. This is all just shiny junk making fun of Chicago's mean temperature in January. As if I needed to be reminded how damn cold it is outside.
lol I like that "mean" temperature bit. So you got the view book and the magazine. This is the first postal mailing you got right?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:40 pm

Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:
What else is on the table right now? I guess you can always ask for the matching program. I see some people have gotten 90000 to full rides before at Berkeley, are they all matches?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:42 pm

r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:
lol I like that "mean" temperature bit. So you got the view book and the magazine. This is the first postal mailing you got right?
Yeah, but I'm increasingly concerned about my mail situation. This Duke thread is saying people got packages of schwag or something. I haven't seen anything like that from them. Seems like I just got lucky this was on a weekend or something.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:45 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:
What else is on the table right now? I guess you can always ask for the matching program. I see some people have gotten 90000 to full rides before at Berkeley, are they all matches?
B, duke, gulc, michigan, cornell, ucla, all with no money so far

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:46 pm

No one's handing out money yet I don't think. Don't you need the FASFA forms and all that first?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:54 pm

ahduth wrote:No one's handing out money yet I don't think. Don't you need the FASFA forms and all that first?
A lot of schools have already offered merit scholarship money.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:59 pm

Knock wrote:
ahduth wrote:No one's handing out money yet I don't think. Don't you need the FASFA forms and all that first?
A lot of schools have already offered merit scholarship money.
And merit money is not need-based so not based on FAFSA. Merit money is usually handed out by the admissions office. I remember from the call they say we will be submitted for review to the committee (scholarship committee) but I don't recall when. Hopefully we will receive something soon (if anything at all) since we are the earliest admits.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:02 pm

I have no idea what's going on apparently. I guess I should have applied to some of these other schools to make sure I'm eligible for matching. Duke didn't say anything to me about money either. =/

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:08 pm

ahduth wrote:I have no idea what's going on apparently. I guess I should have applied to some of these other schools to make sure I'm eligible for matching. Duke didn't say anything to me about money either. =/
I read that they care about peer schools more. So getting money at CCN + MVP will give you the best chance for matching. I read last year they matched Darrows (not that I would get one). So you should at least apply to those 6, and see what you can use to leverage. I did, but I don't know if I would get any money offers though.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:10 pm

These are the schools for which you can apply for matching:

Columbia University
Cornell University
Duke University
Georgetown University
Harvard University
New York University
Stanford University
University of Chicago
University of Michigan
University of Pennsylvania
University of Virginia
Yale University

edit: http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6957.htm

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:16 pm

I know, but in last year's thread people mentioned that only about 25% are approved and they give most attention to immediate peer schools.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:I know, but in last year's thread people mentioned that only about 25% are approved and they give most attention to immediate peer schools.
Oh weaksauce. I need to figure out how to get up on this money game. I probably should've gotten my applications out earlier.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”