In at Berkeley! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sarahh

Silver

Re: In at Berkeley!

Post by sarahh » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:19 pm

I don't feel that there is much to see in Berkeley itself (besides the school obviously). Rockridge is nearby and they have some cute stores if you like shopping. Stanford has a really nice art muesum. Maybe take some time to visit San Francisco? There is a big farmers market at the Ferry Building on Saturdays that I usually take visiting people to. And there are a lot of museums in the city. Maybe your child would like the Exploratorium?

sarcasticswede

New

Post by sarcasticswede » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:26 pm

sarahh wrote:I don't feel that there is much to see in Berkeley itself (besides the school obviously). Rockridge is nearby and they have some cute stores if you like shopping. Stanford has a really nice art muesum. Maybe take some time to visit San Francisco? There is a big farmers market at the Ferry Building on Saturdays that I usually take visiting people to. And there are a lot of museums in the city. Maybe your child would like the Exploratorium?

On that note, if you are looking for things for your child, try Lawrence Hall of Science in Berkeley (assuming it's open), they've got some pretty fun stuff from what I remember. But alas, it is no Exploratorium, that place is AWESOME.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:34 pm

sarcasticswede wrote:
sarahh wrote:I don't feel that there is much to see in Berkeley itself (besides the school obviously). Rockridge is nearby and they have some cute stores if you like shopping. Stanford has a really nice art muesum. Maybe take some time to visit San Francisco? There is a big farmers market at the Ferry Building on Saturdays that I usually take visiting people to. And there are a lot of museums in the city. Maybe your child would like the Exploratorium?

On that note, if you are looking for things for your child, try Lawrence Hall of Science in Berkeley (assuming it's open), they've got some pretty fun stuff from what I remember. But alas, it is no Exploratorium, that place is AWESOME.
Thanks!

Exploratorium looks like fun, it's like the Franklin Institute here! We also have a Please Touch Museum here in Philly, kids love that place. We will be checking out everything that will make the family happy. I think I will be happy just taking classes at Boalt - that should be plenty enough.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:36 pm

Any idea how Berkeley does merit aid besides matching scholarships? just how rare is it, and what kind of numbers do you need to qualify?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:48 pm

Knock wrote:Any idea how Berkeley does merit aid besides matching scholarships? just how rare is it, and what kind of numbers do you need to qualify?
They are probably just as holistic about this as the admissions process. It probably isn't terribly numbers based.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:50 pm

Knock wrote:Any idea how Berkeley does merit aid besides matching scholarships? just how rare is it, and what kind of numbers do you need to qualify?
FWIW, rumor here seems to be that that matching program isn't too great. Whelp...

parsi

Bronze

Post by parsi » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:43 am

congrats everyone! I really want to go to cal as well...

I submitted my app on the 22nd of december and am already under review!

How long were you guys under review before you got your decision?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:47 am

parsi wrote:congrats everyone! I really want to go to cal as well...

Hmm, I submitted mid-Oct, went UR pretty quickly IIRC, and was accepted with the first wave of decisions around ~11/18 (?). So it was roughly a month, or just under a month.

Xnegd

Bronze

Post by Xnegd » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:03 am

parsi wrote:congrats everyone! I really want to go to cal as well...

I submitted Sep 1st, been under review since October 22nd. No news is better than bad news I guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sarcasticswede

New

Post by sarcasticswede » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:12 pm

So I haven't been back to Berkeley to take pictures of the school (too cold and wet up here lately ugh), but my grandma got me a shirt for xmas, figured I could share that haha
--ImageRemoved--

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:27 pm

That's awesome! I'm jealous :P

sarcasticswede

New

Post by sarcasticswede » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:34 pm

You can order them online if you're really dying to have one : )

http://www.nedsbooks.com/ucb/shop_produ ... YXcgVGVlcw

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:20 pm

Should I create a facebook group? I realize that none of us have committed, but it would be nice to socialize before ASW which seems so far away?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

knotoftoads

New

Post by knotoftoads » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:22 pm

Under Review since 11/15 arrgggghhh

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:25 pm

So happy to be able to post in this thread

in today via status checker/email

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:31 pm

knotoftoads wrote:Under Review since 11/15 arrgggghhh
same here too bud

gatorgirl4life

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl4life » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:38 pm

sooo excited to join this thread! sorry if this has already been answered, but the e-mail said "We will help defray your airfare cost to attend." does anyone know how much help they're talking about? I live in FL... thanks and congrats, everyone!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:12 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:sooo excited to join this thread! sorry if this has already been answered, but the e-mail said "We will help defray your airfare cost to attend." does anyone know how much help they're talking about? I live in FL... thanks and congrats, everyone!
$300 if you fly between thurs - sat. You pay for your ticket, hand in the itinerary at the ASW and fill out a form, they mail a check to you later.

gatorgirl4life

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl4life » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:59 pm

r6_philly wrote:
gatorgirl4life wrote:sooo excited to join this thread! sorry if this has already been answered, but the e-mail said "We will help defray your airfare cost to attend." does anyone know how much help they're talking about? I live in FL... thanks and congrats, everyone!
$300 if you fly between thurs - sat. You pay for your ticket, hand in the itinerary at the ASW and fill out a form, they mail a check to you later.
thanks!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:59 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
thanks!
Hey, how did you know you got accepted to USC? Did they finally start acceptances? Also, what are your #'s.

gatorgirl4life

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl4life » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:21 pm

my dad called to let me know that i was accepted to USC via mail a couple weeks ago...but they haven't e-mailed me anything at all. :? i kind of dismissed it because i'm not that interested, but i'll call him tomorrow to make sure that it wasn't junk mail and actually an acceptance. lol PMed you my stats :wink:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:22 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:my dad called to let me know that i was accepted to USC via mail a couple weeks ago...but they haven't e-mailed me anything at all. :? i kind of dismissed it because i'm not that interested, but i'll call him tomorrow to make sure that it wasn't junk mail and actually an acceptance. lol PMed you my stats :wink:
Hmm, that would be weird, I don't think there have been any reported acceptances on the USC thread yet. Have you posted in there? Your dad may have been confusing the Rothman invitation with an acceptance.

gatorgirl4life

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl4life » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:24 pm

Knock wrote:
gatorgirl4life wrote:my dad called to let me know that i was accepted to USC via mail a couple weeks ago...but they haven't e-mailed me anything at all. :? i kind of dismissed it because i'm not that interested, but i'll call him tomorrow to make sure that it wasn't junk mail and actually an acceptance. lol PMed you my stats :wink:
Hmm, that would be weird, I don't think there have been any reported acceptances on the USC thread yet. Have you posted in there? Your dad may have been confusing the Rothman invitation with an acceptance.
No I haven't and yeah, that may be the case. i'll let you know tomorrow. :wink:

peterb0y

Bronze

Post by peterb0y » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:00 pm

IN VIA EMAIL! Totally shocked, didn't think I had the numbers for it, and I didn't apply til 11/22.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:02 pm

Your numbers--169 & 3.63--seem fairly solid although LSN graphs might suggest otherwise. Congratulations !

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”