In at Berkeley! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: In at Berkeley!

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:23 pm

peterb0y wrote:IN VIA EMAIL! Totally shocked, didn't think I had the numbers for it, and I didn't apply til 11/22.
Congrats!

aredhello

Bronze

Post by aredhello » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:28 pm

Have folks submitted the extra scholarship apps already? Is this an earlier is better sort of deal?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:35 pm

aredhello wrote:Have folks submitted the extra scholarship apps already? Is this an earlier is better sort of deal?
I am going to wait to see if I get an offer anyway (method 1). I will probably ask them when I see them Friday.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:02 pm

The bay area is cool! I certainly can't see any reason at all why I would not be happy attending...

I enjoyed my trip tremendously, looking forward to ASW!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:The bay area is cool! I certainly can't see any reason at all why I would not be happy attending...

I enjoyed my trip tremendously, looking forward to ASW!
Pics please R6! Did you ask at all about scholarships?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

prt86a

New

Post by prt86a » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:53 pm

r6_philly wrote:
aredhello wrote:Have folks submitted the extra scholarship apps already? Is this an earlier is better sort of deal?
I am going to wait to see if I get an offer anyway (method 1). I will probably ask them when I see them Friday.
Did you hear anything regarding this?

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:36 pm

$300 if you fly between thurs - sat. You pay for your ticket, hand in the itinerary at the ASW and fill out a form, they mail a check to you later.
You can also just have them book it - or at least you could last year. There is a travel agency assigned to ASW, you tell them when you want to fly and from where, and they send you a purchased itinerary. It was super easy last year; don't see any reason why it would have changed.

Top14Hope

Bronze

Post by Top14Hope » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:01 pm

Berrrrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkeeeeeellllllllleeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy let me in!

K thanks!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:39 am

Re: scholarships - they are going to be evaluating scholarships late Jan - April. I was encouraged to submit matching offer requests. I enjoyed my visit to Berkeley. There was quite a bit of construction going on, and the workers were busy cleaning the inside since school starts on Monday. All in all a pretty enjoyable trip. Found prospective places to live, so now at ASW I can focus on the school and academic offerings.

The View From The Top of the hill is breathtaking. But the road up and down to the other side is even better for someone like me. I have only been to one stretch of road in this country that is as fun as that... Now I am seriously, strongly attracted to the bay area because it is a awesome place for riding motorcycles...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:40 am

Pics as promised:

Berkeley Law Boalt Hall

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:11 am

Love the pics, thanks Philly!

fish52

Bronze

Post by fish52 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:40 am

I live in DC and keep running into Berkeley alumni.... as soon as they find out that I've been accepted at Boalt and that I'm seriously considering attending, they have nothing but incredibly positive things to say. After the initial "How impressive! Congratulations!" they talk about how great the Bay Area is, how the prestige of Cal has helped them, and how much they loved their experience at Berk. I think the Cal Alumni I've met have been a bigger influence on my decision than all of the mailers sent from the t10. I don't know of a single alumni base that has been so consistent in their enthusiasm about their alma mater. In fact, one guy around the office yells "Go Bears!" and gives me a high-five every time I see him. haha

molomloch

New

Post by molomloch » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:18 pm

So I'm under review since 11/8. I'm 169/4.0...

I'm assuming this is a very bad sign. Should I write off Berkeley? I'm assuming I've got some random waitlist/rejection to look forward to, but wanted to hear what the rando nerds here had to say first.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:39 pm

molomloch wrote:So I'm under review since 11/8. I'm 169/4.0...

I'm assuming this is a very bad sign. Should I write off Berkeley? I'm assuming I've got some random waitlist/rejection to look forward to, but wanted to hear what the rando nerds here had to say first.
hmmm....that's actually quite interesting considering you're from CA. i'd hold out hope for the time being

molomloch

New

Post by molomloch » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:40 pm

Is it? I didn't think in-state folk have the advantage.

And my spider senses lead me to believe out-of-staters always have the advantage on account of the higher tutition prices. But I have no idea and am talking out of my...

emhellmer

Bronze

Post by emhellmer » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:19 am

molomloch wrote:Is it? I didn't think in-state folk have the advantage.

And my spider senses lead me to believe out-of-staters always have the advantage on account of the higher tutition prices. But I have no idea and am talking out of my...
In Texas in-staters tend to have an advantage. However, my family in CA claims that it is easier for out-of-staters to get into the UC schools for undergrad. I don't know if it is the same for the law schools though.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:22 am

Knock wrote:Love the pics, thanks Philly!
I miss the place already!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

molomloch

New

Post by molomloch » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:39 am

In-staters definitely have the advantage for undergrad, as most of the slots are reserved exclusively for them (and there's like 9 million out of staters trying to get into UCB, at least...might be somewhat easy for an out of stater to get into UCR or what not, no idea).

Philly...your gonna feel awfully funny for having been so enthusiastic about ye olde town of Berkeley the first time a homeless man defecates on you car.

I've spent a lot of time in that city. Stuff like that happens every day (and I've seen that very thing happen before my eyes). If you choose to live outside the city limits and/or in a nice part of town, you'll avoid a lot of it, but still, it's a pretty terrible town if stuff like that bothers you.

Fun, but gnarly.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:43 am

molomloch wrote: Philly...your gonna feel awfully funny for having been so enthusiastic about ye olde town of Berkeley the first time a homeless man defecates on you car.
I have a large heart for the homeless because I was one. I didn't defecate on anyone's car though. :lol: I came across a few in my one day there, they seem ok. I will take the homeless over some of the "homed" around here.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:55 am

Wow that pic of the lockers really made me feel... uhh...

Last time I used a locker that wasn't in a gym was in high school. I don't think NYU had lockers.

Otherwise sure looks one hell of a lot warmer than here. There's this thick, wet snow falling right now. Sweet home Chicago.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:58 am

ahduth wrote:Wow that pic of the lockers really made me feel... uhh...

Last time I used a locker that wasn't in a gym was in high school. I don't think NYU had lockers.

Otherwise sure looks one hell of a lot warmer than here. There's this thick, wet snow falling right now. Sweet home Chicago.
I guess Chicago saw right through my warm loving self. I suppose if I were to write a LOCI I should say how much I enjoy snowman building with my kids.

I thought the lockers were nice ...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sarcasticswede

New

Post by sarcasticswede » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:07 pm

molomloch wrote:In-staters definitely have the advantage for undergrad, as most of the slots are reserved exclusively for them (and there's like 9 million out of staters trying to get into UCB, at least...might be somewhat easy for an out of stater to get into UCR or what not, no idea).

Philly...your gonna feel awfully funny for having been so enthusiastic about ye olde town of Berkeley the first time a homeless man defecates on you car.

I've spent a lot of time in that city. Stuff like that happens every day (and I've seen that very thing happen before my eyes). If you choose to live outside the city limits and/or in a nice part of town, you'll avoid a lot of it, but still, it's a pretty terrible town if stuff like that bothers you.

Fun, but gnarly.

In-Staters definitely do not have an advantage currently at the UCs with regard to undergrad, they want all the out of staters then can get because the tuition is higher for them. We don't have set percentages at the UCs for how many students must be from California, so they can take as many out of state kids as they like. Law school seems to be a fairly level playing field with no advantage to the OOS applicants that I know of.

On the flip side of the whole defecating on your car thing, Berkeley also has lots of amusing personalities to offer, such as the time my friend and I were there and spotted a man who was carrying around a tree branch. My friend complimented him on it. The man's response was, "it's not a branch, it's a wand, i'm a wizard!"

r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:Wow that pic of the lockers really made me feel... uhh...

I guess Chicago saw right through my warm loving self. I suppose if I were to write a LOCI I should say how much I enjoy snowman building with my kids.

I thought the lockers were nice ...

I agree with r6... the lockers were actually really nice. That entire floor had a sort of futuristic feel to it haha definitely not like gym lockers in any way.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:11 pm

sarcasticswede wrote: I agree with r6... the lockers were actually really nice. That entire floor had a sort of futuristic feel to it haha definitely not like gym lockers in any way.
My UG had gym/HS style lockers, I didn't like. These lockers look like safe deposit lockers, and the lighting and color scheme was good. I must say I like the library and the lockers the most out of that building. And the quotes on the side of the building - if they could kindly remove the tacky wiring next to the Cardozo quote.

re-applicant

Bronze

Post by re-applicant » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:44 pm

r6_philly wrote:
sarcasticswede wrote: I agree with r6... the lockers were actually really nice. That entire floor had a sort of futuristic feel to it haha definitely not like gym lockers in any way.
My UG had gym/HS style lockers, I didn't like. These lockers look like safe deposit lockers, and the lighting and color scheme was good. I must say I like the library and the lockers the most out of that building. And the quotes on the side of the building - if they could kindly remove the tacky wiring next to the Cardozo quote.
i
The reading room can get really hot and stuffy, and, when there's construction, noisy. I think most people end up studying on the north side of the library. I like the quotes as well. Haas has tall and skinny suit lockers for students that people seem to appreciate during recruiting season--it'd be nice if Boalt had those instead of these square ones, but I guess law books are heavy.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:00 pm

re-applicant wrote: i
The reading room can get really hot and stuffy, and, when there's construction, noisy. I think most people end up studying on the north side of the library. I like the quotes as well. Haas has tall and skinny suit lockers for students that people seem to appreciate during recruiting season--it'd be nice if Boalt had those instead of these square ones, but I guess law books are heavy.
What are "books"? :mrgreen: I was hoping for e-readers only lol

I guess suit lockers would be nice but I have no problem wearing the monkey suit all day.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”