University of Oregon 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
edgnarly

Re: University of Oregon 2011

Postby edgnarly » Thu May 05, 2011 12:50 pm

Dear Oregon,
Please make a decision on my application, so I can continue on with my life, one way or the other. Limbo sucks.

Thanks,

Gnarly.

SarahagMont

Postby SarahagMont » Fri May 06, 2011 1:08 pm

I am visiting UO on the 17th. I am also meeting with a member of the admissions committee because I am WLed and figured it couldn't hurt. I plan to take a copy of all my admissions material, as well as come up with some good questions. Does anyone have any other suggestions about what would be useful bring up in this meeting. I don't want to be wasting this person's time.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Fri May 06, 2011 7:48 pm

SarahagMont wrote:I am visiting UO on the 17th. I am also meeting with a member of the admissions committee because I am WLed and figured it couldn't hurt. I plan to take a copy of all my admissions material, as well as come up with some good questions. Does anyone have any other suggestions about what would be useful bring up in this meeting. I don't want to be wasting this person's time.

you won't be wasting time as long as you are really interested/considering coming to UO.

samtheclam1

Postby samtheclam1 » Sat May 07, 2011 12:35 pm

called off the waiting list yesterday

Wildcat6

Postby Wildcat6 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:52 pm

I was accepted and already paid my first deposit. I'm 90% sure I am going to Oregon but still am a little unsure. Everything seems great with the school and the facilities are amazing but I am a slightly worried about the climate. This may sound odd but I keep hearing horror stories about the rain and lack of sunlight. I've spent my entire life in Arizona where it hardly rains, and many days there isn't a cloud in the sky. Is it really that bad in terms of rain or is it something someone can easily get used to?

plugkev

Postby plugkev » Mon May 09, 2011 3:13 pm

This year was brutal. 27 of 30 days in March were rainy. Seasonal depression was almost unavoidable. I have lived in Portland most of my life and I still get low in February/March.

I want to go to UO but will have to decide over the summer whether or not I can afford it.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:25 pm

Wildcat6 wrote:I was accepted and already paid my first deposit. I'm 90% sure I am going to Oregon but still am a little unsure. Everything seems great with the school and the facilities are amazing but I am a slightly worried about the climate. This may sound odd but I keep hearing horror stories about the rain and lack of sunlight. I've spent my entire life in Arizona where it hardly rains, and many days there isn't a cloud in the sky. Is it really that bad in terms of rain or is it something someone can easily get used to?

Oh, goody, another sunbelter who's going to move to Oregon and bitch about the weather.

Yes, it really does rain a lot. For days and days and days on end. And even when it's not raining, there's a good chance it's cloudy (and cloudy=solid bright grey sky, not fluffy white things floating against the blue.) During the rainy season (defined as "not summer") there's usually a day or two of random sunbreaks each month, but it's also not unheard of to literally not see the sun for 30 days straight.

Actual weather data for Eugene: http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/clilcd.pl?or24221

June-September gets the "best" (by your definition) weather, with 2-7 days of rain per month and 10-16 clear days per month. It rains an average of 137 days per year overall. Taking into account the infrequent rain during the summer, that means the rest of the year is about 50% rain.

"Hot" is 80 degrees. "Shorts weather" is 65+. "Native PNWers want to kill themselves" is anything over 90, which fortunately only happens for about 2 weeks in the summer. Many people do not have a/c in their homes. Most apartments do not have a/c.

Personally, I don't even notice whether it's raining or not, I wear sunglasses almost year-round (those clouds are bright!), and I hate temps over 75. But I was born in Washington on the Olympic Peninsula (immortalized in the craptastic Twilight series as the least sunny place in the lower 48). I've met very few transplants from SoCal/AZ/NM who don't hate the weather here.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Mon May 09, 2011 3:34 pm

Wildcat6 wrote:I was accepted and already paid my first deposit. I'm 90% sure I am going to Oregon but still am a little unsure. Everything seems great with the school and the facilities are amazing but I am a slightly worried about the climate. This may sound odd but I keep hearing horror stories about the rain and lack of sunlight. I've spent my entire life in Arizona where it hardly rains, and many days there isn't a cloud in the sky. Is it really that bad in terms of rain or is it something someone can easily get used to?

I'm from las vegas. just like arizona in climate. I've been fine. I haven't been depressed by the rain, and I even like it sometimes. Oregon smells like wet wood though. And there is more pollen than anywhere in the universe. the rain is just sprinkling most of the time. sometimes it comes down in torrents, but never for more than a few minutes at a time, it seems. right now, it is sunny outside with spots of clouds. actually, cloudy with spots of sun. it doesn't get "cold" (i went to college in northern utah and it was COLD) and it is really nice when it is warm.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Mon May 09, 2011 4:53 pm

plugkev wrote:This year was brutal. 27 of 30 days in March were rainy. Seasonal depression was almost unavoidable. I have lived in Portland most of my life and I still get low in February/March.

I want to go to UO but will have to decide over the summer whether or not I can afford it.

Lived in Portland most of my life. I agree with most things that were said about the weather, except a few things that rinkrat said. I don't know anyone that thinks 80 degrees is "hot," most people I know are the happiest and comfortable with 80's, haha. The Portland area (and I can assume Eugene is similiar) sees few days a year above 100 and these days are hot, because nobody has AC. Long streaks of 90 degree weather can also be uncomfortable without AC. I'm assuming rinkrat meant completely clear 10-16 days, because July and August is partly sunny or better probably 25+ days/month.

In my opinion the NW has the best summers in the country. Low humidity (but not dry) and comfortable temps. We are also rewarded from our winters with plenty of shade and little dust (I live in a dryer climate now and I can't stand the dusty conditions in the summer).

I couldn't agree more with usuaggie, the rain is more like a sprinkle most days with mixed in heavy rain showers from time to time and the heaviest rain seems to happen at night. I also wouldn't say that I get seasonal depression, but you definitely come to appreciate the sun when it first shows itself in April.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Mon May 09, 2011 5:05 pm

I've lived in Oregon my entire life.

I agree with every word of rinkrat's post, and although rain in the summer is usually a drizzle, to describe the rain from october-may as 'usually a drizzle' is delusional at best.

It pours. Frequently. I think after awhile people's definition of 'heavy rain' changes. What most PNW'ers refer to as 'heavy rain' is a "torrential downpour" in other places.

it rains. A lot. I don't hate it, I dislike hot weather. But it rains. A lot.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Mon May 09, 2011 6:24 pm

sidhesadie wrote:I've lived in Oregon my entire life.

I agree with every word of rinkrat's post, and although rain in the summer is usually a drizzle, to describe the rain from october-may as 'usually a drizzle' is delusional at best.

It pours. Frequently. I think after awhile people's definition of 'heavy rain' changes. What most PNW'ers refer to as 'heavy rain' is a "torrential downpour" in other places.

it rains. A lot. I don't hate it, I dislike hot weather. But it rains. A lot.

in vegas, it would rain 4 days a year and i still consider oregon to be a drizzle. it has rained heavily a few times, but not enough to make a difference. i'd say once every two weeks it is hard enough where i put my books under a jacket or something to keep them from getting wet as i walk to my car.

oh the parking is terrible at oregon. you pay for the right to maybe find a spot if you're lucky, not for the guarantee to park.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Mon May 09, 2011 6:40 pm

Well maybe that's the difference between Eugene and Portland, LOL... I've been completely drenched from class to my car at least 20x in the last 3 months!

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Mon May 09, 2011 7:32 pm

@usuaggie, that was my experience too during undergrad in Portland. I walked/biked to class several times a day and only occasionally a simple rain jacket wasn't enough.

I'm sure that is true about describing rain differently. However, I still maintain that the norm is a "lighter" type rain and not a "heavier" rain and more often than not, the rain isn't an inconvienence. Definitely some days it pours all day, but usually it rains heavy 5-30 min in spaced out intervals, with a lighter rain/no rain more likely in between the showers. Don't get me wrong, Eugene gets A LOT of rain during the 5 wet months (Nov-Mar), but I don't think the perception of heavy and constant rain is completely accurate.

Found some interesting stuff for Eugene that might help bring the rainfall into perspective (averages between 1972-2000, so unless it has gotten considerably wetter this last decade these should still provide some use). I was actually surprised to find that Eugene is considerably wetter than Portland (although this doesn't show that, found that on weather.com). http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/climatenormals ... 352709.pdf

During Jan, 5.3 days had equal to or more than 0.50'' with 2.1 of those 5.3 days having more than 1.0'' of rainfall. That accounts for at the very least (possibly significantly higher) 3.5'' of Janurary's average 7.65 inches. Whats left is mostly distributed between the 6.6 days between 0.1-0.5 and then the 5.3 days of 0.01-0.10. Heck, if you take away the 4 wettest days, you've got around the same or less rainfall than east coast cities from NYC (4.13'') to Atlanta (5.03'') during Jan.

Obviously this past winter has been wetter than average due to la nina. Crater Lake Nation Park has had more than 600 inches of snowfall this winter (I heard that on the radio a couple weeks ago, so it is probably more now), 50 feet, that is crazy to think about.
Last edited by ptblazer on Mon May 09, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wildcat6

Postby Wildcat6 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:37 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone, and quickly too. Even if I am just "another sunbelter who's going to move to Oregon and bitch about the weather." ;)

Say what you want, but a difference in climate from mid 90's and completely sunny this week to a steady trickle of rain for months on is a big deal and a big change. At least for me. Arizona may be crazy (maybe you've heard about us in the news...) but there's a reason why people move here and to be a part of this weather. I think I just want to know what I'm getting into or what to expect so I don't move to Oregon, love the campus, like law school and say screw it I can't take the weather and leave. I doubt I would do that, but I'm obviously not the only one with these concerns from the sunbelt.

I was just up there a few weeks ago and did love the campus and everything else, this is just one thought I had. That and I was just amazed that Nike/Knight seems to own half of campus haha.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:40 pm

Wildcat6 wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone, and quickly too. Even if I am just "another sunbelter who's going to move to Oregon and bitch about the weather." ;)

Say what you want, but a difference in climate from mid 90's and completely sunny this week to a steady trickle of rain for months on is a big deal and a big change. At least for me. Arizona may be crazy (maybe you've heard about us in the news...) but there's a reason why people move here and to be a part of this weather. I think I just want to know what I'm getting into or what to expect so I don't move to Oregon, love the campus, like law school and say screw it I can't take the weather and leave. I doubt I would do that, but I'm obviously not the only one with these concerns from the sunbelt.

I was just up there a few weeks ago and did love the campus and everything else, this is just one thought I had. That and I was just amazed that Nike/Knight seems to own half of campus haha.

Uncle Phil owns UO's soul. He/Nike give(s) lots of money to OSU as well, which is appreciated, but somehow the Beavs have managed to avoid plastering a swoosh on everything that will hold still. If Knight ever expressed an interest in turning UO into a culinary school, the transition would start the next week, and the chefs' hats would be Dri-Fit.
(OSU alumna here)

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Mon May 09, 2011 7:46 pm

Wildcat6 wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone, and quickly too. Even if I am just "another sunbelter who's going to move to Oregon and bitch about the weather." ;)

Obviously weather preference and tolerance is totally different for people, but for what its worth in UG my roommate transfered from U of A and didn't mind so much. I think the constant grey sky gets to everyone to some degree, but he actually told me that he was happy he could walk from building to building without his balls sweating (sorry to put it so crude). Haha, so I guess you have that to look forward to in Oregon (if you're a guy of course).

Phil Knight is the best alumni UO will ever have, haha. I really hope the person that reviewed and accepted Phil Knight's UG application gets a nice and expensive christmas gift every year from the university.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Mon May 09, 2011 9:09 pm

ptblazer wrote:

Obviously weather preference and tolerance is totally different for people, but for what its worth in UG my roommate transfered from U of A and didn't mind so much. I think the constant grey sky gets to everyone to some degree, but he actually told me that he was happy he could walk from building to building without his balls sweating (sorry to put it so crude). Haha, so I guess you have that to look forward to in Oregon (if you're a guy of course).

Phil Knight is the best alumni UO will ever have, haha. I really hope the person that reviewed and accepted Phil Knight's UG application gets a nice and expensive christmas gift every year from the university.

doesn't everybody get in who applies to UO for undergrad? If that guy with a suitcase for a backpack and pink hair that I saw walking against traffic in the bike lane earlier today can get in, I would hope Phil Knight could. But really, does UO actually reject people?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:51 pm

usuaggie wrote:
ptblazer wrote:

doesn't everybody get in who applies to UO for undergrad? If that guy with a suitcase for a backpack and pink hair that I saw walking against traffic in the bike lane earlier today can get in, I would hope Phil Knight could. But really, does UO actually reject people?

The bar for admissions to any of the Oregon state schools is...not high. They're not bad schools, but they're not a UC or a Michigan.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Mon May 09, 2011 10:05 pm

usuaggie wrote:
ptblazer wrote:Obviously weather preference and tolerance is totally different for people, but for what its worth in UG my roommate transfered from U of A and didn't mind so much. I think the constant grey sky gets to everyone to some degree, but he actually told me that he was happy he could walk from building to building without his balls sweating (sorry to put it so crude). Haha, so I guess you have that to look forward to in Oregon (if you're a guy of course).

As an Oregon athletics fan, I'm definitely not complaining about Uncle Phil's generosity, but thanks for killing my obviously bad quip about Phil Knight's value to UO. haha. Speaking of athletics, how about that huge television deal the Pac-12 just got. About damn time. Now I can move anywhere in the US and with basic cable watch most of the football games.

rinkrat is right, neither UO or OSU undergrad are bad by any stretch, but I doubt any of Oregon's public universities reject many undergrad applications (which I think is by design). I actually think pink haired men carrying suitcases get a bump in UG admissions at UO. :)

SarahagMont

Postby SarahagMont » Thu May 19, 2011 6:00 pm

Called off the WL today! Couldn't be more excited!!

avarial

Postby avarial » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:00 am

Just found out today I was accepted to the University of San Diego School of Law. After paying both of my deposits to the University of Oregon School of Law, I will be informing the school tomorrow that I will not be attending in the fall. Hopefully this opens up a space for someone on the waitlist. Good luck to those still waiting!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”