University of Oregon 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
IamAskier

University of Oregon 2011

Postby IamAskier » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:05 am

Didn't see am Oregon thread yet, so has anyone heard anything/been accepted yet?

Also, this may be a dumb question but does anyone know how to check your app status at Oregon? I went complete 11/10 and have an ID#, but I can't find where on their website to check my status.

Peekay80

Re: University of Oregon 2011

Postby Peekay80 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:56 am

In the e-mail they sent you with the ID number, I believe at the top of it they state they begin reviewing apps in February. Oregon is notorious for being behind the power curve as far as status checkers go, based on previous cycles. So, sit back, and enjoy the long haul. It's frustrating, certainly, but one day maybe all schools will have a status checker.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:00 am

REALLY February? Ya wow, guess this tread is a little premature. Thanks though.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:02 am

IamAskier wrote:REALLY February? Ya wow, guess this tread is a little premature. Thanks though.

Did anyone else get an email about scholarship information to apply to??

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:06 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:
IamAskier wrote:REALLY February? Ya wow, guess this tread is a little premature. Thanks though.

Did anyone else get an email about scholarship information to apply to??

yep, got it this morning....

stheskier

Postby stheskier » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:12 am

Kind of a pain to have to apply for scholarships well before acceptance is known. I noticed at least one of them required a letter of rec and an essay. :|

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:13 am

stheskier wrote:Kind of a pain to have to apply for scholarships well before acceptance is known. I noticed at least one of them required a letter of rec and an essay. :|

yeah, i'm not terribly motivated to write more essays for possibly no reason........and to get more LORs........

Peekay80

Postby Peekay80 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:49 am

Yeah, I got the scholarship e-mail too. At first my heart did a little flutter when I saw an e-mail from U of O. But, then I opened it and saw it was University level scholarship programs with the required essays/letters etc. I normally would apply for everything, but as an Oregon Resident/Veteran, the GI Bill will cover my whole tuition anyways. I just wish they were faster with the decisions. It's certainly not the highest school I applied to, but I'd be happy with the no debt.

stheskier

Postby stheskier » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:52 am

Are you using post 9-11 gi bill?

Peekay80

Postby Peekay80 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:05 pm

Yes on Post 9-11, and I stand corrected on the cover my whole tuition statement. Apparently, I put the cart before the horse on that as Oregon has a low GI Bill coverage for Post 9-11. Still, with the Gi Bill, possible merit money from the school, and a tiny dip into savings, I'm not going to take out any loans. That is the plan...so far...this week.

firecracker

Postby firecracker » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:52 am

Just noticed this thread. I'm reapplying to Oregon and submitted my app 11/10.

longhornlaw

Postby longhornlaw » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:43 pm

Applied to Oregon as well, though from the looks of it, it may have been premature to apply this early. They're a "why not" school, though, so the wait is that big of a deal.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:59 pm

Yeah, I got a complete email and the apps aren't even being reviewed until February.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:25 pm

I decided not to apply to Oregon when I saw that absolutely ridiculous residency form. I've lived in Oregon since 1984 and I have no clue how to answer half of the questions. (Voter registration date? Original driver's license issue date? WTF.) Plus, no fee waiver. So screw the Ducks. (And go Auburn!) :P

firecracker

Postby firecracker » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:02 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I decided not to apply to Oregon when I saw that absolutely ridiculous residency form. I've lived in Oregon since 1984 and I have no clue how to answer half of the questions. (Voter registration date? Original driver's license issue date? WTF.) Plus, no fee waiver. So screw the Ducks. (And go Auburn!) :P

Haha, well, those are on the UNC residency form as well if that makes you feel better?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:16 am

firecracker wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I decided not to apply to Oregon when I saw that absolutely ridiculous residency form. I've lived in Oregon since 1984 and I have no clue how to answer half of the questions. (Voter registration date? Original driver's license issue date? WTF.) Plus, no fee waiver. So screw the Ducks. (And go Auburn!) :P

Haha, well, those are on the UNC residency form as well if that makes you feel better?

I definitely saw similar questions on plenty of other apps, but since I'm only a resident of Oregon, UO was the only one I had to worry about. :) I got my driver's license in 1995/6, but my current license says it was issued in 2008 because it was a replacement for a lost one. I registered to vote in 1997, but my voter registration info (on the website recommended by the UO admissions office) says I registered last month, because I finally changed my registered voting address from my parents' house to mine.

I would think that a couple consecutive years' tax returns would be sufficient to prove residency. Or an electric bill history with in-state addresses reaching back X months, or a car registration. The State Department requires less documentation to prove US citizenship to get a passport than schools require to prove state residency--does that make any sense at all?

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:42 am

LOL. "so bill, why did you end up at this school?" "Well, I would have gone to oregon, but they asked too many questions on the application so i didn't even apply."

anyway, 1L at Oregon here. let me know if i can help at all.

firecracker

Postby firecracker » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:05 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
firecracker wrote:

I definitely saw similar questions on plenty of other apps, but since I'm only a resident of Oregon, UO was the only one I had to worry about. :) I got my driver's license in 1995/6, but my current license says it was issued in 2008 because it was a replacement for a lost one. I registered to vote in 1997, but my voter registration info (on the website recommended by the UO admissions office) says I registered last month, because I finally changed my registered voting address from my parents' house to mine.

I would think that a couple consecutive years' tax returns would be sufficient to prove residency. Or an electric bill history with in-state addresses reaching back X months, or a car registration. The State Department requires less documentation to prove US citizenship to get a passport than schools require to prove state residency--does that make any sense at all?

I wasn't suggesting you'd have to answer residency questions on other apps outside of Oregon. Just poking a little fun because many if not most public universities would require that of in-state applicants if they offer different tuition rates. :D

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:49 pm

firecracker wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
firecracker wrote:

I wasn't suggesting you'd have to answer residency questions on other apps outside of Oregon. Just poking a little fun because many if not most public universities would require that of in-state applicants if they offer different tuition rates. :D

i would gladly answer those questions to save a few hundred dollars, much less a few thousand dollars.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:18 pm

also, do the scholarship essays. HARDLY anybody does them. my friend got one of the full-rides and she told me that the dean told her only 13 people even wrote an essay for it. everybody assumes they wont get it.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:12 pm

usuaggie wrote:i would gladly answer those questions to save a few hundred dollars, much less a few thousand dollars.

99.9% sure I'm going to Lewis & Clark. I only applied anywhere else for kicks, and possibly to leverage for more scholly money if needed. I honestly don't know how to go about answering half the residency questions on the UO app without doing some major research and much calling of multiple government agencies, and since there's 0% chance of me actually going there, I didn't bother worrying about it. Plus I hate Eugene and UO with the fire only a OSU Beaver alumna truly understands. Which makes me kind of a dick for posting in this thread, I admit. :) Apologies.

stheskier

Postby stheskier » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:16 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
usuaggie wrote:i would gladly answer those questions to save a few hundred dollars, much less a few thousand dollars.

99.9% sure I'm going to Lewis & Clark. I only applied anywhere else for kicks, and possibly to leverage for more scholly money if needed. I honestly don't know how to go about answering half the residency questions on the UO app without doing some major research and much calling of multiple government agencies, and since there's 0% chance of me actually going there, I didn't bother worrying about it. Plus I hate Eugene and UO with the fire only a OSU Beaver alumna truly understands. Which makes me kind of a dick for posting in this thread, I admit. :) Apologies.

Have you heard anything recently from L&C?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:21 pm

stheskier wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Have you heard anything recently from L&C?

Ugh, NO. Stuck at complete since shortly after I submitted on 11/3/10, although my status date changed to 12/3/10 last week. So maybe that's a sign that the process is actually starting. No big packet in the mail (besides two more extraneous viewbook/application packets--so useful), no email, nuthin'. I looked through last year's L&C admissions thread and it sounds like the status checker never changed before people started getting their packets via snailmail, and the earliest acceptances were in mid-Dec.

stheskier

Postby stheskier » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:29 pm

I'll cross my fingers for you. L&C is one of my top choices also, so I'll cross the fingers on my other hand for me. :D

Orko

Postby Orko » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:14 pm

Is anybody starting to hear anything yet? Following the timeline of years past, people should start hearing end of this week/ beginning of next.

I have a feeling UO will beat Lewis & Clark to a decision, even though I've been complete at L&C for over 16 weeks and they've been handing out decisions for 5 weeks. Rolling admissions there is a joke.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”