Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BuckeyeBoy2011
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:36 am

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Postby BuckeyeBoy2011 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:39 am

dans1006 wrote:
BuckeyeBoy2011 wrote:
dans1006 wrote:
BuckeyeBoy2011 wrote:Accepted last week and really excited about it!


Are you going to go or are you still holding out for other accepts? Perhaps to Moritz? I'm in at UC too and won't be deciding until I hear back from OSU and one other school.


The only schools I applied to better than UC were Moritz and Vandy so I'm waiting to hear from them and see what they can offer before I really decide. So far I like the communication and general tone of people when you talk to them at UC best though. Who are you waiting to hear from?


I'm waiting on Moritz too. I'm starting to feel UC more and more though.


You going to the Admitted Students day in March? It's weird cause it seems like everyone has the same weekend scheduled for admitted students.

User avatar
dans1006
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Postby dans1006 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:05 pm

I'm not going to any ASW in March. I'll be down in Florida for the first UC ASW but I'll go to the second one.

BuckeyeBoy2011
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:36 am

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Postby BuckeyeBoy2011 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:51 pm

where are some good places to live there?

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Postby cinephile » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:27 pm

BuckeyeBoy2011 wrote:where are some good places to live there?


It's more expensive, but I love Mt Adams. There's tons of cool bars, restaurants, a theater, the city's largest park, art museum, conservatory, and so much more. If I go to UC, I'm definitely going to try to rent a place in Mt Adams. But I'm thinking most people just live in Clifton, which is where the campus is. Clifton's nice, it has a lot of ethnic restaurants, cute clothing shops, an art house cinema, but sometimes it can get sketchy at night. I think North Side's (the neighborhood's name, but not actually in the north side of the city) even cheaper, and has a good bar scene. I lived in Cincinnati for most of my life, so I could just go on and on. Anyone who has questions about the city, feel free to reply or PM me.

ddawg819
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Postby ddawg819 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:22 pm

WL via snail mail.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Postby TommyK » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:39 pm

Withdrew today. As much as I like the program, it's going to be too hard to pass up big money at IUB or Bama. Good luck all those waiting. Hopefully my spot and little bit of cash goes to somebody who is anxiously awaiting news.

User avatar
waitlisteddd
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Postby waitlisteddd » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:08 pm

does scholly info come with the initial acceptance letter or later?

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Postby TommyK » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:41 pm

waitlisteddd wrote:does scholly info come with the initial acceptance letter or later?


For me, it was about 2-3 weeks later.

User avatar
dans1006
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Postby dans1006 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:43 am

TommyK wrote:
waitlisteddd wrote:does scholly info come with the initial acceptance letter or later?


For me, it was about 2-3 weeks later.



It's been over three weeks for me so I guess I'm not getting any $$$... :(

I may not be far behind you TommyK. It's hard to walk away from a scholarship even if I really like UC.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Postby TommyK » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:15 am

dans1006 wrote:
TommyK wrote:
waitlisteddd wrote:does scholly info come with the initial acceptance letter or later?


For me, it was about 2-3 weeks later.



It's been over three weeks for me so I guess I'm not getting any $$$... :(

I may not be far behind you TommyK. It's hard to walk away from a scholarship even if I really like UC.


I bet you'll get some cash, but UC is just not in the same financial situation as some other institutions are that are able to make it rain. The administrators are very open to talking to admitted students. I don't think it would be improper to schedule a phone meeting to see where you stand from a scholarship perspective.

Good luck.

lic06003
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Postby lic06003 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:43 pm

does anyone know how hard it is to get off the WL?

renee88
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:40 pm

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Postby renee88 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:17 pm

I've never attempted to negotiate for a higher scholarship before- has anyone tried it at Cincy? 164 LSAT/3.51 GPA and I received $8500, so I'm not sure if there's any chance I'd get anything higher, but I'd just thought I'd ask! :) I definitely am considering UC with the current offer, especially because of the GMR.
Last edited by renee88 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rli66
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:09 pm

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Postby rli66 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:18 pm

Withdrew today. I guess I won't be reading this thread as often.

Good luck to you all! For those that want to keep in touch, http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/dc496

User avatar
dans1006
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Postby dans1006 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:22 am

renee88 wrote:I've never attempted to negotiate for a higher scholarship before- has anyone tried it at Cincy? 164 LSAT/3.51 GPA and I received $8500, so I'm not sure if there's any chance I'd get anything higher, but I'd just thought I'd ask! :) I definitely am considering UC with the current offer, especially because of the GMR.


I was told that they do not negotiate on scholarships but there's no harm in asking I guess.

User avatar
dans1006
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Postby dans1006 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:57 pm

So I'm not getting any kind of scholarship offer from UC which is a bummer. And now I have a surprise last minute offer from UofL where I'm currently located. I'll hit 8 weeks UR on friday with Ohio State and I haven't heard anything... My top 2 schools are yet to acknowledge my existence and it's almost mid March...

Thank goodness next week is spring break. I need to go visit the ocean, drink some adult beverages, and forget about law school for a week.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Postby TommyK » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:49 pm

dans1006 wrote:So I'm not getting any kind of scholarship offer from UC which is a bummer. And now I have a surprise last minute offer from UofL where I'm currently located. I'll hit 8 weeks UR on friday with Ohio State and I haven't heard anything... My top 2 schools are yet to acknowledge my existence and it's almost mid March...

Thank goodness next week is spring break. I need to go visit the ocean, drink some adult beverages, and forget about law school for a week.


That is absolutely shocking to me, given your numbers. I can't imagine Cinci is pulling in a lot of applicants with better numbers than yours.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Postby TommyK » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:51 pm

dans1006 wrote:
renee88 wrote:I've never attempted to negotiate for a higher scholarship before- has anyone tried it at Cincy? 164 LSAT/3.51 GPA and I received $8500, so I'm not sure if there's any chance I'd get anything higher, but I'd just thought I'd ask! :) I definitely am considering UC with the current offer, especially because of the GMR.


I was told that they do not negotiate on scholarships but there's no harm in asking I guess.


I believe they do, but probably only on the margins. They probably meant that you can't negotiate a scholarship from an offer of $0, but if you get $8500 per year, they may give you an extra $500 - $1000.

renee88
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:40 pm

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Postby renee88 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:48 pm

TommyK wrote:
dans1006 wrote:
renee88 wrote:I've never attempted to negotiate for a higher scholarship before- has anyone tried it at Cincy? 164 LSAT/3.51 GPA and I received $8500, so I'm not sure if there's any chance I'd get anything higher, but I'd just thought I'd ask! :) I definitely am considering UC with the current offer, especially because of the GMR.


I was told that they do not negotiate on scholarships but there's no harm in asking I guess.


I believe they do, but probably only on the margins. They probably meant that you can't negotiate a scholarship from an offer of $0, but if you get $8500 per year, they may give you an extra $500 - $1000.


Thanks for the tip. Not sure if I'd try but I thought I'd ask.

User avatar
dans1006
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Postby dans1006 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:59 pm

renee88 wrote:
TommyK wrote:
dans1006 wrote:
renee88 wrote:I've never attempted to negotiate for a higher scholarship before- has anyone tried it at Cincy? 164 LSAT/3.51 GPA and I received $8500, so I'm not sure if there's any chance I'd get anything higher, but I'd just thought I'd ask! :) I definitely am considering UC with the current offer, especially because of the GMR.


I was told that they do not negotiate on scholarships but there's no harm in asking I guess.


I believe they do, but probably only on the margins. They probably meant that you can't negotiate a scholarship from an offer of $0, but if you get $8500 per year, they may give you an extra $500 - $1000.


Thanks for the tip. Not sure if I'd try but I thought I'd ask.


I wasn't talking about me. I didn't try to negotiate with them. Another TLSer told me via PM that he got 8.5k a year and asked for more and they very nicely said there was no room to negotiate. Dont know if that's policy or if that was just as much as they were going to offer him. I'd say give it a shot. The worst they can say is no.

User avatar
bendtheslurry
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Postby bendtheslurry » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:49 pm

Anyone else go to ASD? I have mixed feelings after the event and I'm starting to second guess this school as my number one.

pearlmc
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:52 pm

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Postby pearlmc » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:14 am

bendtheslurry wrote:Anyone else go to ASD? I have mixed feelings after the event and I'm starting to second guess this school as my number one.


I wasn't able to go, but would really like to hear your thoughts!

lookingaround
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Postby lookingaround » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:59 am

I also attended the ASW. The presentation was not as polished as other schools, but I was pleased with the high level of interaction with faculty who, in addition to the typical panel, were present at all my information sessions and present at all the tables during lunch. The school definately had a "scruffier" feel, but that did not put me off. What sold me was the smaller size coupled with the broad array of experiences open to the students. 30 slots for law review in a class of around 140 sounds a lot better than competing for 30 slots in a class twice or three times the size (assuming more-or-less equal ranking). The Ohio Innocence Project was also intriquing and the small business clinic, which helps start-up business with legal advice they would not otherwise be able to recieve, is definately something I want to do.
But, I am probably in a different position as the greater Cincinnati area is where I want to work after graduation. That being the case, it makes a lot of sense for me to start building my network there rather than attending another school.
Just my thoughts though. I would like to hear about your reservations as I may not have considered them.

BuckeyeBoy2011
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:36 am

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Postby BuckeyeBoy2011 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:24 am

bendtheslurry wrote:Anyone else go to ASD? I have mixed feelings after the event and I'm starting to second guess this school as my number one.


I was at the ASD too. I would say the facilities may not have been as nice as some other schools but not far behind. I mean I went to visit OSU and UD law schools who look a little nice but they also have a larger number of students. People seemed to knock the CPD because there was more leg work involved than what they expected, but coming from OSU as an undergrad I experienced this too, you just have to make sure you are connected with them. The faculty/students seemed friendly and genuinely helpful, and there seems to be flexibility as far as what sort of electives you can take and setting up intern/externships that may have not previously existed. I just need to find someone to live and get some outside money! lol

This kind of answers the person who asked what the impressions were, bur if anyone else has questions PM me and I can try and answer from the material they gave us!

User avatar
bendtheslurry
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Postby bendtheslurry » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:40 am

I was put off by the building and the unfinished look of most of the school. We kept hearing all about how they are going to tear it down after our class graduates. The library looked uncomfortable and cramped.

I did not understand why the career service guy kept saying he could put you where you wanted to work. I know it's possible to get a job anywhere but I feel he misled with his presentation. I also wondered about the fact that only one 3l we ran into said he had a job lined up. The career guy tried to make it sound like there are jobs everywhere ( which we all know is not the case). The two 3ls on the panel didn't have jobs,

lookingaround
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Postby lookingaround » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:15 pm

bendtheslurry wrote:I was put off by the building and the unfinished look of most of the school. We kept hearing all about how they are going to tear it down after our class graduates. The library looked uncomfortable and cramped.

I did not understand why the career service guy kept saying he could put you where you wanted to work. I know it's possible to get a job anywhere but I feel he misled with his presentation. I also wondered about the fact that only one 3l we ran into said he had a job lined up. The career guy tried to make it sound like there are jobs everywhere ( which we all know is not the case). The two 3ls on the panel didn't have jobs,


I made a similiar comment in a PM about the Career Services presentation. I would have appreciated a dose of realism along with his enthusiasm. His presentation was the one downer for me. I kept thinking, "Ok, everyone knows the job search is a challenge right now, why not just address it?" but he never did.

Regarding the two 3Ls on the panel, I know that the one was working at Kroger's Corporate Office back when I visited in the fall. At the time, I was under the impression that she was going to continue once she graduated, but I could easily have just assumed that and be mistaken. (I did not hear her say what her prospects are now). The other guy was moving back to South Carolina and it sounded like he specifically wanted to get a judicial clerkship. Wasn't one of the 2ls on the panel working part-time at a firm right now? That sounded encouraging to me, or is that pretty typical?
I was encouraged by some stories at lunch both from a Prof and a student about 1Ls who through some fairly intensive personal networking efforts found paid positions for their first summer. I truly believe that whatever school one goes go to most job prospects willvbe theresult of personal networking efforts, not the career services program.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AustinLu, bleakchimera2, bobomac2, Google [Bot], jstans, tinafeyclone and 27 guests