Cincinnati 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Longhorn1117

New

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Post by Longhorn1117 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:58 pm

So I was accepted at UC law a couple of weeks ago and it seems like a pretty solid law school. However, I am from Texas and I really have no knowledge of the school or the city of Cincinnati beyond what I have read online. I was hoping someone might be able to shed a little more light on UC law, its reputation, and the city because I am very interested.

chrisnashville

Bronze

Post by chrisnashville » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:30 am

Longhorn1117 wrote:So I was accepted at UC law a couple of weeks ago and it seems like a pretty solid law school. However, I am from Texas and I really have no knowledge of the school or the city of Cincinnati beyond what I have read online. I was hoping someone might be able to shed a little more light on UC law, its reputation, and the city because I am very interested.
I grew up in Cincinnati and applied to UC law, though I haven't been in Cincinnati for the past few years (plus some years away at undergrad -- so let's call it seven). The campus is very nice -- they've been spending tons of money there upgrading the facilities, and it has a very modern feel. I haven't heard the same about the law building itself, though. The surrounding neighborhoods where the undergrads/my friends lived were somewhat sketch (Clifton), too. If you're from out-of-state, though, I'd guess you'd live across the river in Northern Kentucky, where you could get in-state tuition your first year (it's called the Graduate Metro Rate, and it's a great deal from what I can tell). N. Kentucky is certainly more vibrant than downtown Cincinnati, as strange as that sounds, and COL is cheap...

I'm sure others can give you a more detailed response, though, just thought I'd throw my two cents in :D

Chants

Bronze

Post by Chants » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:03 pm

Admissions office told me to expect a decision either the week prior to xmas or the first week of Jan. I guess I should expect either an email tomorrow or a rejection via snail mail next week.

Anyone else hear anything?

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:21 pm

applied 12/14 - got an email saying they received my app but thats it. They dont have a status checker do they?

Peekay80

New

Post by Peekay80 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:01 pm

Sandro777 wrote:applied 12/14 - got an email saying they received my app but thats it. They dont have a status checker do they?
No status checker at all. And, their e-mails came rather unexpected for me. Like for example, I was just checking e-mail one night before bed, and my acceptance was sitting in my junk mail. it wasn't till I received the admissions packet via snail mail a week later I chose to believe I was in. I started to think it was a conspirancy someone was playing tricks with me. So, hang tight, the process is maddening. Thank god for kids to keep me distracted.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ajw431

New

Post by ajw431 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:23 pm

And, their e-mails came rather unexpected for me. Like for example, I was just checking e-mail one night before bed, and my acceptance was sitting in my junk mail. it wasn't till I received the admissions packet via snail mail a week later I chose to believe I was in
Same here about the junk mail. My acceptance email had been sitting in my spam box for a couple of days before I freaked out that I hadn't heard anything and did a desperate search through all of my Gmail.

buchy2009

Bronze

Post by buchy2009 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:25 pm

Chants wrote:Admissions office told me to expect a decision either the week prior to xmas or the first week of Jan. I guess I should expect either an email tomorrow or a rejection via snail mail next week.

Anyone else hear anything?
They told me the same thing and I haven't heard anything either.

waverider

Bronze

Post by waverider » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:00 pm

UC 1L here.

Congrats on those accepted. PM me if you have any questions about the school or the area.

I'm living in NKY - any of you that have questions about living in Northern Ky I may be able to provides some info.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:33 am

chrisnashville wrote:
Longhorn1117 wrote:So I was accepted at UC law a couple of weeks ago and it seems like a pretty solid law school. However, I am from Texas and I really have no knowledge of the school or the city of Cincinnati beyond what I have read online. I was hoping someone might be able to shed a little more light on UC law, its reputation, and the city because I am very interested.
I grew up in Cincinnati and applied to UC law, though I haven't been in Cincinnati for the past few years (plus some years away at undergrad -- so let's call it seven). The campus is very nice -- they've been spending tons of money there upgrading the facilities, and it has a very modern feel. I haven't heard the same about the law building itself, though. The surrounding neighborhoods where the undergrads/my friends lived were somewhat sketch (Clifton), too. If you're from out-of-state, though, I'd guess you'd live across the river in Northern Kentucky, where you could get in-state tuition your first year (it's called the Graduate Metro Rate, and it's a great deal from what I can tell). N. Kentucky is certainly more vibrant than downtown Cincinnati, as strange as that sounds, and COL is cheap...

I'm sure others can give you a more detailed response, though, just thought I'd throw my two cents in :D
I lived in Cincinnati from 1988-2005. UC Law sent me a fee waiver back in November and when I saw it I laughed. In all honestly, there is nothing that could persuade me to ever move back. The city is highly industrial, ultra conservative, and full of problems: from the KKK putting a cross up in Fountain Square every December and putting flyers in people’s doors, to a lack of diversity and ignorance that leads to problematic race relations that has lead to race riots (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Cincinnati_riots). There is a lack of entertainment, restaurants, arts, etc. Now you say: "I’ll just go to UC and move after law school." Think again, UC will not get you out of the region—a region that shares the same problems. If you are planning on attending any school outside of the top 20, you better pick a city you wouldn't mind spending the rest of your life in--especially considering the retracted legal market you will be job hunting in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chrisnashville

Bronze

Post by chrisnashville » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:12 am

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
I lived in Cincinnati from 1988-2005. UC Law sent me a fee waiver back in November and when I saw it I laughed. In all honestly, there is nothing that could persuade me to ever move back. The city is highly industrial, ultra conservative, and full of problems: from the KKK putting a cross up in Fountain Square every December and putting flyers in people’s doors, to a lack of diversity and ignorance that leads to problematic race relations that has lead to race riots (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Cincinnati_riots). There is a lack of entertainment, restaurants, arts, etc. Now you say: "I’ll just go to UC and move after law school." Think again, UC will not get you out of the region—a region that shares the same problems. If you are planning on attending any school outside of the top 20, you better pick a city you wouldn't mind spending the rest of your life in--especially considering the retracted legal market you will be job hunting in.
Hmm. Shame you had such a terrible time there :\ There are plenty of differing opinions of course -- I felt like there were plenty of "entertainment, restaurant, arts, etc." options, but I suppose if you're looking for something in particular, it may not be there... But it's certainly not the hellhole you've described. And I will say in the past 10, and past 5 especially, lots has changed about the city. I'd take another visit if you haven't been back in 6 years.

buchy2009

Bronze

Post by buchy2009 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:01 pm

In via snail mail today. It's crazy that UC at sticker is almost half the cost of many of my other options at this point...

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:08 pm

buchy2009 wrote:In via snail mail today. It's crazy that UC at sticker is almost half the cost of many of my other options at this point...
You mean since you're IS? OOS it costs over 200K and they don't give out enough money to really consider going there.

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:15 pm

ran12 wrote:
buchy2009 wrote:In via snail mail today. It's crazy that UC at sticker is almost half the cost of many of my other options at this point...
You mean since you're IS? OOS it costs over 200K and they don't give out enough money to really consider going there.
I wonder if a lot of people actually go there paying OOS considering the GMR is so much cheaper.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

buchy2009

Bronze

Post by buchy2009 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:32 pm

charlesxavier wrote:
ran12 wrote:
I wonder if a lot of people actually go there paying OOS considering the GMR is so much cheaper.
Exactly: anyone can get IS tuition there… you just have to live across the river in northern KY. Ends up being around 112K at sticker.

zrcm18

New

Post by zrcm18 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:49 pm

Waitlisted via snail mail

boiler cat

New

Post by boiler cat » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:50 pm

zrcm18 wrote:Waitlisted via snail mail
When did you apply?

Jae

New

Post by Jae » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:12 pm

Last edited by Jae on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:17 pm

Jae wrote:I received the following email from U of Cincinnati Collage of Law.

"Greetings from the University of Cincinnati College of Law - I am contacting you today as on your Fall 2011 application for admission you notified us you are an Early Decision applicant at another law school. It would be very helpful if you could update us with your admissions status at that other law school. Please reply to this email with your current status by Wednesday, January 12, 2011 so we may take the appropriate action on your file."

Do you guys believe that this is a simple formality for any applicant that is early decision at another school or do you believe that they plan to accept me but they first had to figure out whether I was accepted at the early decision school? Thanks.
Idk I was accepted way back and I was ED at another school. Never got that email.

Jae

New

Post by Jae » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:53 pm

Last edited by Jae on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redrose11

New

Post by redrose11 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:23 pm

Got scholarship offer today. 10k/yr. While I would love to go to UC it is sadly not enough to take me from a full ride at IU-Bloomington. How good is UC about negotiating scholarships??

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:24 pm

Tossed an app at Cinci yesterday.

167/3.4

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kjadkins

Silver

Post by kjadkins » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:14 pm

IN via email! :) (Not in my Spam folder, surprisingly)

berkeleyman

New

Post by berkeleyman » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:43 pm

Also in via e-mail!! Nice to wake up to an acceptance ^_^

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:52 pm

When did you guys apply? I seem to have pretty much auto admit numbers for UC and applied a month ago

kjadkins

Silver

Post by kjadkins » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:53 pm

Sandro777 wrote:When did you guys apply? I seem to have pretty much auto admit numbers for UC and applied a month ago
Applied 11/30, complete 12/8

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”