Cincinnati 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BuckeyeBoy2011

New

Re: Cincinnati 2011 Applicants

Post by BuckeyeBoy2011 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:18 pm

It did look a little unfinished to me too. But most of the schools I looked at weren't that much to write home about. The way I see it I'll be just studying anyway do the fewer the distractions the better.

I wonder how much the economy has to do with lack of jobs though? I mean it cant be that much different looking for a job now as a new lawyer as a new undergrad graduate. Most of my friends ( I go to Ohio State) I don't think really have jobs yet or if they do it's just an entry level job or something like that.

BuckeyeBoy2011

New

Post by BuckeyeBoy2011 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:24 pm

lookingaround wrote:
bendtheslurry wrote:I was put off by the building and the unfinished look of most of the school. We kept hearing all about how they are going to tear it down after our class graduates. The library looked uncomfortable and cramped.

I did not understand why the career service guy kept saying he could put you where you wanted to work. I know it's possible to get a job anywhere but I feel he misled with his presentation. I also wondered about the fact that only one 3l we ran into said he had a job lined up. The career guy tried to make it sound like there are jobs everywhere ( which we all know is not the case). The two 3ls on the panel didn't have jobs,
I made a similiar comment in a PM about the Career Services presentation. I would have appreciated a dose of realism along with his enthusiasm. His presentation was the one downer for me. I kept thinking, "Ok, everyone knows the job search is a challenge right now, why not just address it?" but he never did.

Regarding the two 3Ls on the panel, I know that the one was working at Kroger's Corporate Office back when I visited in the fall. At the time, I was under the impression that she was going to continue once she graduated, but I could easily have just assumed that and be mistaken. (I did not hear her say what her prospects are now). The other guy was moving back to South Carolina and it sounded like he specifically wanted to get a judicial clerkship. Wasn't one of the 2ls on the panel working part-time at a firm right now? That sounded encouraging to me, or is that pretty typical?
I was encouraged by some stories at lunch both from a Prof and a student about 1Ls who through some fairly intensive personal networking efforts found paid positions for their first summer. I truly believe that whatever school one goes go to most job prospects willvbe theresult of personal networking efforts, not the career services program.

I think one of the panel 2L (maybe the one you are talking about) has a job lined up after she graduates working in children advocacy. But definitely agree with the comments. I was talking with Professor Aaron and Mr. Stiles about Sports and Entertainment internships, and they said they have had people working with the White Sox, the NCAA Tournament, The Reds, and with UC's Athletic Department, even giving me the name of someone I could contact who is currently interning. I thought that was pretty impressive

bendtheslurry

New

Post by bendtheslurry » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:59 pm

Someone at my table said his buddy got an interview with the NCAA (something I'm really interested in and wrote about at length in my ps). I asked how it worked out for him and all I got was a blank stare then he said his buddy has more interviews for other employers.

And regarding the sba president... Why come to cincy if you are from south Carolina, have a strong network in south Carolina and want to practice in South Carolina?

A few of the students made a bad impression on me. Some of them seemed almost elitist at times.

BuckeyeBoy2011

New

Post by BuckeyeBoy2011 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:24 pm

really? I thought they were the least elitist of the one's I have encountered lol. Who was you're tour guide?

bendtheslurry

New

Post by bendtheslurry » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:01 pm

My tour guide was the sba president. He seemed really chill. But there was this girl on the student panel who was also the host of one of the small informational sections who was ... Well maybe she was having a bad day, I just hope she isn't representative of a majority of students.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SunDevil07

New

Post by SunDevil07 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:57 pm

bendtheslurry wrote:Someone at my table said his buddy got an interview with the NCAA (something I'm really interested in and wrote about at length in my ps). I asked how it worked out for him and all I got was a blank stare then he said his buddy has more interviews for other employers.

And regarding the sba president... Why come to cincy if you are from south Carolina, have a strong network in south Carolina and want to practice in South Carolina?

A few of the students made a bad impression on me. Some of them seemed almost elitist at times.
Because U of South Carolina Law School is nowhere near as well ranked or regarded as Cinci? I liked the SBA president and didn't notice any elitism at all, all of the students and professors were really nice and went out of their way to talk about anything we brought up. This was not recent, I went to the open house in November.

BuckeyeBoy2011

New

Post by BuckeyeBoy2011 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:35 am

So why isn't there a Facebook group or something for the Law School?

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:50 pm

SunDevil07 wrote:
bendtheslurry wrote:Someone at my table said his buddy got an interview with the NCAA (something I'm really interested in and wrote about at length in my ps). I asked how it worked out for him and all I got was a blank stare then he said his buddy has more interviews for other employers.

Because U of South Carolina Law School is nowhere near as well ranked or regarded as Cinci? I liked the SBA president and didn't notice any elitism at all, all of the students and professors were really nice and went out of their way to talk about anything we brought up. This was not recent, I went to the open house in November.
Maybe in SW Ohio, that's true, but to imply that Cinci and USC are in different worlds of reputation is probably giving FAR too much credence to the USNWR rankings. The question is a valid one - if you're from SC and want to go back to SC, and have ties to SC, why the hell would you go to Cinci? If you have that stats to get a fat scholly from Cinci, you probably have the stats to get a fat from scholly from a school in the south that has far better regional ties and regional portability than Cinci. Even if you don't, USC seems like it would be the better choice just because of the alumni network.

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:50 pm

Just withdrew as of today, good luck to those still waiting!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ioustinos

New

Post by Ioustinos » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:44 pm

kkklick wrote:Just withdrew as of today, good luck to those still waiting!
I'm one of them. Thanks for the good luck!

(on Waiting List)

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:08 pm

hope to hear from them soon.

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:46 pm

accepted today via e-mail.

BuckeyeBoy2011

New

Post by BuckeyeBoy2011 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:30 pm

gothamm wrote:hope to hear from them soon.
guess you heard from them soon, huh?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BuckeyeBoy2011

New

Post by BuckeyeBoy2011 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:31 pm

Where are people looking for apartments? I found a sweet one for 680/month, 900 square feet, I was definitely surprised.

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:26 pm

hehe.

nathan.

New

Post by nathan. » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:55 am

gothamm wrote:accepted today via e-mail.

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:33 am

BuckeyeBoy2011 wrote:
gothamm wrote:hope to hear from them soon.
guess you heard from them soon, huh?
:D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:49 am

nathan. wrote:
gothamm wrote:accepted today via e-mail.
Now I feel doomed with Cincy as well.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:48 am

I sent an email to admissions asking to withdraw last Friday, and I'm still receiving emails from them about the law school. Did I make a mistake? Who am I supposed to ask to withdraw?

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:16 am

cinephile wrote:I sent an email to admissions asking to withdraw last Friday, and I'm still receiving emails from them about the law school. Did I make a mistake? Who am I supposed to ask to withdraw?
You're probably fine. The last email you received was an admissions newsletter, which works off a different group of names than admitted people. If you'll remember, people who weren't admitted yet received the newsletter. There's an unsubscribe link at the bottom.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:34 am

TommyK wrote:
cinephile wrote:I sent an email to admissions asking to withdraw last Friday, and I'm still receiving emails from them about the law school. Did I make a mistake? Who am I supposed to ask to withdraw?
You're probably fine. The last email you received was an admissions newsletter, which works off a different group of names than admitted people. If you'll remember, people who weren't admitted yet received the newsletter. There's an unsubscribe link at the bottom.
Thanks for the help!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:53 pm

just got the acceptance letter yesterday. Approximately how long does it take to get scholarship info (if any)

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:21 pm

nvm, just got $25,500 via snail mail. A nice offer.

BuckeyeBoy2011

New

Post by BuckeyeBoy2011 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:28 pm

gothamm wrote:nvm, just got $25,500 via snail mail. A nice offer.
Nice! Are they your top choice?

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:19 am

As of now, yes. Haven't heard back from a single Cali school yet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”