When do the rejections start rolling in?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
phoenixwright83

When do the rejections start rolling in?

Postby phoenixwright83 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:44 pm

I'm not sure if there is already a thread with this topic, but I was wondering when regular decision rejections are "awarded."

Do schools wait until after Christmas to start rejecting regular decision applicants or send them out when they make their decisions (like tomorrow for ex)?

tttlllsss

Re: When do the rejections start rolling in?

Postby tttlllsss » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:51 pm

December 12th

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:52 pm

phoenixwright83 wrote:I'm not sure if there is already a thread with this topic, but I was wondering when regular decision rejections are "awarded."

Do schools wait until after Christmas to start rejecting regular decision applicants or send them out when they make their decisions (like tomorrow for ex)?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/decision-dates.html

ran12

Postby ran12 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:52 pm

Rejections have been rolling in since Oct.

2011Cycle

Postby 2011Cycle » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:53 pm

phoenixwright83 wrote:I'm not sure if there is already a thread with this topic, but I was wondering when regular decision rejections are "awarded."

Looks like rejections pick up substantially the first 2 weeks of January

phoenixwright83

Postby phoenixwright83 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:03 pm

Knock wrote:

So it looks like most of the t-20 schools really don't hand out rejections until after the holidays.
I'm not a fan of that. I still don't have a grasp on the admissions process but I would think it would be easier to send out rejections (and more timely) than acceptances. I would think a rejection is easier to decide upon than acceptances.

Does anyone know why schools would wait? It can't be because they don't want to ruin anyone's holiday's, would it? I would rather be rejected sooner than later.

phoenixwright83

Postby phoenixwright83 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:03 pm

tttlllsss wrote:December 12th

I won't be checking my email that day.... :wink:

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:04 pm

phoenixwright83 wrote:
Knock wrote:

So it looks like most of the t-20 schools really don't hand out rejections until after the holidays.
I'm not a fan of that. I still don't have a grasp on the admissions process but I would think it would be easier to send out rejections (and more timely) than acceptances. I would think a rejection is easier to decide upon than acceptances.

Does anyone know why schools would wait? It can't be because they don't want to ruin anyone's holiday's, would it? I would rather be rejected sooner than later.

I'm sure it's just easier for them. It's not because they don't want to ruin the holidays. I don't think they particularly care too much about our rejection preferences.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:06 pm

phoenixwright83 wrote:
Knock wrote:

You're going to have a stroke if you try to figure out why admissions offices do what they do. Best thing you can do for your mental health is to end this thread, and pretend it never happened. Find something relaxing to do until about March.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:07 pm

Texas already rejected me lol.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:08 pm

phoenixwright83 wrote:I would rather be rejected sooner than later.

I can also assure you that you don't really mean this. You might think you do, but you don't. Your first rejection will confirm this.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:30 pm

It seems to depend on the school. I applied to Penn since it was free and I figured, what the heck? I am pretty much an auto-ding for them with a low 160 LSAT, and I figured I'd get a rejection letter pretty damn fast, but I am still under review... So I dunno. Perhaps there's a military vet on the AdCom that's arguing for me to be admitted or something, or they're just slow, who knows.

I wish I'd applied to UT just to see if I'd be rejected as fast as other people have. I wonder if some schools have "auto ding" circular file cut-offs like pharmacy and medical schools do. I suppose they do, since it'd be tedious to go through 7,000 applications, but Dean Pless of UIUC insists THEY read every file (yowsa) so I am guessing it just depends on what school.

Nerve-wracking all the same, much more so than getting on the big bird on my way to the 'stan.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:37 pm

Dean Pless of Illinois is very cool and did a great job of keeping applicants informed last cycle.

Speaking for myself, it was a big boost mentally to get some acceptances right off the bat. When the rejects started coming in, they still sucked, but at least I had the confidence of knowing that I had still some good options. Had I gotten a string of rejects right off, well, would've been a long winter of worry.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:42 pm

FunkyJD wrote:Dean Pless of Illinois is very cool and did a great job of keeping applicants informed last cycle.

Speaking for myself, it was a big boost mentally to get some acceptances right off the bat. When the rejects started coming in, they still sucked, but at least I had the confidence of knowing that I had still some good options. Had I gotten a string of rejects right off, well, would've been a long winter of worry.

I'd love one acceptance and one rejection or reserve/WL right now, just to know SOMETHING is happening with these darn applications. My husband submitted his pharmacy application on a Friday, had an interview date on the following Tuesday and was admitted on that Thursday... this whole "wait 4 months and maybe you'll find something out" is just heinous and awful. :(

I even threw apps to some real safeties where I am way over 75th on both LSAT and GPA and still, nothing. =-/ I have the best softs outside of the Nobel Prize or URM (Military and combat decoration for valor + WE) and had glowingly amazing LoRs including one from the frikkin' department chair who I'm on first name basis with and... nothing. =-/

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:51 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I'd love one acceptance and one rejection or reserve/WL right now, just to know SOMETHING is happening with these darn applications. My husband submitted his pharmacy application on a Friday, had an interview date on the following Tuesday and was admitted on that Thursday... this whole "wait 4 months and maybe you'll find something out" is just heinous and awful. :(

I even threw apps to some real safeties where I am way over 75th on both LSAT and GPA and still, nothing. =-/ I have the best softs outside of the Nobel Prize or URM (Military and combat decoration for valor + WE) and had glowingly amazing LoRs including one from the frikkin' department chair who I'm on first name basis with and... nothing. =-/

I applied to a lower-end T2 school where my numbers were above-range, and I literally never heard back them (aside from maybe a stray e-mail) before I withdrew the app myself in April. This, despite getting money from T25 schools. Granted, I applied in December, so in that sense, it's not surprising.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:00 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:Dean Pless of Illinois is very cool and did a great job of keeping applicants informed last cycle.

I'd love one acceptance and one rejection or reserve/WL right now, just to know SOMETHING is happening with these darn applications. My husband submitted his pharmacy application on a Friday, had an interview date on the following Tuesday and was admitted on that Thursday... this whole "wait 4 months and maybe you'll find something out" is just heinous and awful. :(

Oooooo department chairrr! :roll:

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:05 pm

thecilent wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

Mocking a combat veteran... :roll:

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:05 pm

thecilent wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I'd love one acceptance and one rejection or reserve/WL right now, just to know SOMETHING is happening with these darn applications. My husband submitted his pharmacy application on a Friday, had an interview date on the following Tuesday and was admitted on that Thursday... this whole "wait 4 months and maybe you'll find something out" is just heinous and awful. :(

Hey man ... why ya gotta be like that? Increase the peace.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:06 pm

thecilent wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

Ooooo decorated war herooo! :roll:

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:10 pm

Oh okay; I'm sorry. Since he was a war hero, the department chair lor is more impressive. How could I have missed that? :shock:

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:11 pm

thecilent wrote:Oh okay; I'm sorry. Since he was a war hero, the department chair lor is more impressive. How could I have missed that? :shock:

Apology accepted.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:12 pm

beachbum wrote:
thecilent wrote:Oh okay; I'm sorry. Since he was a war hero, the department chair lor is more impressive. How could I have missed that? :shock:

Apology accepted.

:D

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:19 pm

I'm pretty sure the OP is a she. You slipping ... :lol:

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:21 pm

Yikes, didn't mean to sound pretentious. Sorry. I know people get all uppity if you say "good softs" and then it turns out to be captain of debate team or something equally silly. My apologies, I just didn't want to be ambiguous at all about it.
Last edited by Aggiegrad2011 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:21 pm

FunkyJD wrote:

I'm pretty sure the OP is a she. You slipping ... :lol:

I was actually going to go back and edit that right after I submited. Ehh gay marriage FTW.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”