University of San Francisco 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Capitol hillbilly

Re: University of San Francisco 2011

Postby Capitol hillbilly » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:39 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
KiraMarie wrote::( I work at a private school too...... Unfortunately feeling some of the budget cuts at our school too. I guess not as many parents can afford to pay $14K a year for their high school students tuition.

The economy does seem much worse than what is conveyed by economists and the media...
I've been told by several attorneys in the area that perhaps law school isn't a good idea if I want to go to a school with a part-time program. Mainly because most schools that offer a part-time program are 2nd tier in the SF and Sac area--aside from GG which is much worse. The statistics generally show that the 2nd tier schools in this part of the country aren't placing graduates. Read back a few posts on the statistics and my generalized analysis of the data that was provided. It's even been suggested to me that I go to a non-ABA accreditted school over encumbering myself in debt with job prospects that will likely only differ minimally...haha. We'll see!
Best of luck regardless!

I think you are right-on with your analysis. I have also heard the suggestion of going to a non-ABA school. Speaking of GG, the conversation over on the GGU thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=146564&p=4285478#p4285478 is getting really interesting.

KiraMarie

Postby KiraMarie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:56 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
KiraMarie wrote::( I work at a private school too...... Unfortunately feeling some of the budget cuts at our school too. I guess not as many parents can afford to pay $14K a year for their high school students tuition.

The economy does seem much worse than what is conveyed by economists and the media...
I've been told by several attorneys in the area that perhaps law school isn't a good idea if I want to go to a school with a part-time program. Mainly because most schools that offer a part-time program are 2nd tier in the SF and Sac area--aside from GG which is much worse. The statistics generally show that the 2nd tier schools in this part of the country aren't placing graduates. Read back a few posts on the statistics and my generalized analysis of the data that was provided. It's even been suggested to me that I go to a non-ABA accreditted school over encumbering myself in debt with job prospects that will likely only differ minimally...haha. We'll see!
Best of luck regardless!

If you don't mind me asking, have you been admitted to USF? If so, are you considering attending? What other schools are you considering.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:05 pm

KiraMarie wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:

Best of luck regardless!

If you don't mind me asking, have you been admitted to USF? If so, are you considering attending? What other schools are you considering.

I applied to McG and USF. My McG app was completed on 4/1 and my USF app completed on 3/15, so I haven't heard back, nor do I really expect to for a few more weeks at best. I still check every day though!

Ultimately, I'm still not 100% sure on if I'll attend even if I'm accepted. I'm not overly worried about finding a job out of law school, but I would rather not incur more student loan debt as I've already taken in quite a bit. I have a great job, but I'm not entirely fond of it. I'm presently seeking employment in a field more to my liking--or one in a position that is of higher standing. I'm a paralegal, and while paid well with great benefits, I can't see myself staying in this position foever. It's either find a new job or obtain mor eeducation for me....I'm still weighing my options, however.

verbalizing

Postby verbalizing » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:12 pm

I applied in the beginning of Feb and I still haven't heard anything back from USF. I called yesterday and my file JUST went in for review and they said it'll be another 4 weeks. This is killing me, as well as the fact that I have seat deposits due this week and I would like to find an apartment for wherever I go and not be a homeless law student.

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:50 pm

verbalizing wrote:I applied in the beginning of Feb and I still haven't heard anything back from USF. I called yesterday and my file JUST went in for review and they said it'll be another 4 weeks. This is killing me, as well as the fact that I have seat deposits due this week and I would like to find an apartment for wherever I go and not be a homeless law student.

Relax, your timeline seems about right. Applying in February is pretty late for USF, especially considering that they accept apps in the beginning of fall until the end of February. I went complete in mid-January last year and didn't get a decision until early April. Unfortunately, you'll have to pay that seat deposit at the other school and just remain patient until USF gets to you. As for your apartment, unless you plan on moving there in June, it is still very early to be hunting. I began my search in July and had no problem finding an apt in SF for an August move in date.

verbalizing

Postby verbalizing » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:32 pm

Norwood wrote:Relax, your timeline seems about right. Applying in February is pretty late for USF, especially considering that they accept apps in the beginning of fall until the end of February. I went complete in mid-January last year and didn't get a decision until early April. Unfortunately, you'll have to pay that seat deposit at the other school and just remain patient until USF gets to you. As for your apartment, unless you plan on moving there in June, it is still very early to be hunting. I began my search in July and had no problem finding an apt in SF for an August move in date.

I'm not worried about finding a place to live in SF, I'm from there and would live at home, or well try it out for a year. I'm worried about finding an apartment elsewhere, I got into Syracuse and was told that apartments there are filling up. The same goes for Boston if I choose Suffolk.

I applied for the part time evening division, so I'm not sure if that has any effect as well.

acmass

Postby acmass » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:52 pm

In via email!

Part of me is really excited/happy because I anticipated being waitlisted (why not?! I've been waitlisted everywhere else I've applied)...but the other part of me is kind of not so thrilled because I was 95% sure I was going to McGeorge and now I have to reevaluate everything.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:31 am

acmass wrote:In via email!

Part of me is really excited/happy because I anticipated being waitlisted (why not?! I've been waitlisted everywhere else I've applied)...but the other part of me is kind of not so thrilled because I was 95% sure I was going to McGeorge and now I have to reevaluate everything.

Well, McG employment prospects seem to be much better if you look back in the forum at the stats link someone posted. Based on that, if you had scholly money at McG, I would take their offer....That's me.

orachelo

Postby orachelo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:37 am

Congrats! When did you get the email? When did you go complete?

acmass

Postby acmass » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:10 am

orachelo wrote:

Congrats! When did you get the email? When did you go complete?

Thanks!

I got the email this afternoon. I submitted 2/1 and went complete 3/2 (seriously confused about why it took them that long, but I'm in and that's all that matters!)

brangara

Postby brangara » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:04 pm

Withdrew, hope someone can use my no $$.

acmass

Postby acmass » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:15 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:

Well, McG employment prospects seem to be much better if you look back in the forum at the stats link someone posted. Based on that, if you had scholly money at McG, I would take their offer....That's me.

Yeah that's exactly what I've been thinking. There's a lot less job competition from other law schools in Sac than in SF. And the cost of living in SF is well...astronomical, whereas I can pay about the same for a place in Sac that I now pay in Tucson.

And I got $10K (top 1/3 stip) + 1L books from McG and at this point I don't know if I'll get anything from USF.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:33 pm

acmass wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:

Yeah that's exactly what I've been thinking. There's a lot less job competition from other law schools in Sac than in SF. And the cost of living in SF is well...astronomical, whereas I can pay about the same for a place in Sac that I now pay in Tucson.

And I got $10K (top 1/3 stip) + 1L books from McG and at this point I don't know if I'll get anything from USF.

It's pretty much a numbers and $$ game in this economy....
I applied to both McG and USF, heavily leaning towards USF; however, after looking at some of the stats for law schools in San Francisco and taking into consideration the cost of living...I'd have a hard time paying sticker at Hastings over a really good scholarship at McG.
Thomas Jefferson looked better than USC and USF in many respects; it was really disgusting. It has to be mostly--or at least partially--due to the oversaturated market in the Bay.
Regardless, best of luck in your decision, and remember to take TLS suggestions for what they're worth....TLS suggestions.

acmass

Postby acmass » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:47 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
acmass wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:

It's pretty much a numbers and $$ game in this economy....
I applied to both McG and USF, heavily leaning towards USF; however, after looking at some of the stats for law schools in San Francisco and taking into consideration the cost of living...I'd have a hard time paying sticker at Hastings over a really good scholarship at McG.
Thomas Jefferson looked better than USC and USF in many respects; it was really disgusting. It has to be mostly--or at least partially--due to the oversaturated market in the Bay.
Regardless, best of luck in your decision, and remember to take TLS suggestions for what they're worth....TLS suggestions.

I actually JUST called USF because I won't receive my decision letter until after the McG deadline and they told me I didn't receive any money.

Sooo yeah...that just made my decision easier.

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:13 pm

I'd suggest taking into serious consideration where you want to practice and live for the next 5 or so years after law school. USF and McGeorge are pretty regional schools so don't expect to take those degrees outside of their respective areas. Sacramento and SF are completely two different cities and legal markets.

acmass

Postby acmass » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:31 pm

Norwood wrote:I'd suggest taking into serious consideration where you want to practice and live for the next 5 or so years after law school. USF and McGeorge are pretty regional schools so don't expect to take those degrees outside of their respective areas. Sacramento and SF are completely two different cities and legal markets.

Well that goes without saying...and since I plan on living in California (and I especially love NorCal), I'm definitely fine with staying in those areas.

Although, I do find comfort in the fact that there are a lot of McG alumni working in the Phoenix area. I'd just have to network like crazy and work my ass off if I ever want to move back here.

Capitol hillbilly

Postby Capitol hillbilly » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:54 pm

Anyone else get a third complete date yesterday?
Received/complete: 2/07, complete 3/07, complete 4/13 :roll:

SunshineKid

Postby SunshineKid » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:49 pm

Capitol hillbilly wrote:Anyone else get a third complete date yesterday?
Received/complete: 2/07, complete 3/07, complete 4/13 :roll:

yes! i cant figure out whats going on.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:12 pm

I am wondering if I am going to get in off the wait list. I have been accepted and wait listed at higher ranked schools.

KiraMarie

Postby KiraMarie » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:58 am

ANY MOVEMENT?!

Capitol hillbilly

Postby Capitol hillbilly » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:03 pm

KiraMarie wrote:ANY MOVEMENT?!

I can feel that something is going to happen today. Got an acceptance from Golden Gate yesterday with 48k. Woo-hoo. :?

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:59 pm

Capitol hillbilly wrote:
KiraMarie wrote:ANY MOVEMENT?!

I can feel that something is going to happen today. Got an acceptance from Golden Gate yesterday with 48k. Woo-hoo. :?

I got my second complete today...so I guess something did happen, haha. I was also waitlisted at McG this week.

orachelo

Postby orachelo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:22 pm

When is usf's 1st seat deposit due?

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:32 pm

orachelo wrote:When is usf's 1st seat deposit due?

A couple days ago....

orachelo

Postby orachelo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:36 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
orachelo wrote:When is usf's 1st seat deposit due?

A couple days ago....

Thanks. Great. The 1st seat deposit passed and I still don't have a decision rendered even though I've been complete since January. WTH...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”