University of San Francisco 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MalachiConstant

Re: University of San Francisco 2011

Postby MalachiConstant » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:45 pm

caligulove wrote:in via email today. Any idea if they're sending scholly info out with decision letter? Are they being generous?

I received no scholarship info in the email but received one in the snail mail letter.

As to whether they are generous: They often offer to pay a good part of the first year tuition but make it non renewable. It is nice because there are no strings attached but, because of the high COL in SF, you still have to hope for need based grants.

School was very nice when I toured, very professional Q&A venue for prospective students. However, quite depressing that one of the guides was on law review and still graduating with over $150,000k in debt.

LawSchoolAdmit

Postby LawSchoolAdmit » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:05 pm

Has anyone tried to negotiate a scholarship at USF?? This is my top choice school, but with no $$$ living in SF will be impossible.

brangara

Postby brangara » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:04 pm

Has anyone gotten a third complete date?? :( I don't know if this is a good sign or not...

DamnLSAT

Postby DamnLSAT » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:11 pm

I'm IN via email and status check about 12/21.

I think scholly is in the snail mail.

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:31 am

Off topic, I posted the same thing in the UCHastings thread.

I didn't apply (Texan staying in state) but my girlfriend and I are going to San Francisco for 4 days for spring break. Do any of yall have any recommendations of what to do while we're there? Obviously we're going to ride a street car, see fisherman's wharf, go to Golden Gate park, but are there any suggestions for activities somewhat off the beaten path?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:00 pm

Withdrawing, just got into Hastings! Good luck to you guys!

mab85

Postby mab85 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:51 am

I think this was asked before but my status changed to "decision rendered" today and I didn't get an email. Should I expect a waitlist or ding? Do they notify you about the waitlist via snail mail? For those of you who were accepted, what did it say on your status checker?

orachelo

Postby orachelo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:27 am

brangara wrote:Has anyone gotten a third complete date?? :( I don't know if this is a good sign or not...

I went complete on 1/21 and my complete date has also changed a third time -- 3/1 is the latest.

jump_man

Postby jump_man » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:44 am

Longhorn88 wrote:Off topic, I posted the same thing in the UCHastings thread.

I didn't apply (Texan staying in state) but my girlfriend and I are going to San Francisco for 4 days for spring break. Do any of yall have any recommendations of what to do while we're there? Obviously we're going to ride a street car, see fisherman's wharf, go to Golden Gate park, but are there any suggestions for activities somewhat off the beaten path?

There are literally thousands of amazing things to do in San Francisco and the Bay Area - I would recommend checking out any of the beautiful and incredible neighborhoods (Haight Street, North Beach, The Mission, The Sunset, The Castro, etc-). As a local, I would definitely recommend avoiding tourist traps like Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, Alcatraz, and Ghirardelli Square - they are simply too expensive, too crowded, and there isn't much to do there. Instead, go for a walk down Columbus Street in North Beach, check out City Lights Books, and then climb Telegraph Hill to see the parrots and visit Coit Tower.

If you like art, check out some of the amazing art museums (De Young, Palace of Fine Arts, SF MOMA, etc-). If you like science or history, there are cool museums for that too (Exploratoreum, Museum of the African Diaspora, The American Comic Book Museum, etc-). If you like food, there are some places you simply can't miss (like Ike's in the Castro, The Grove on Fillmore Street, or Straw in Hayes Valley). If you like nature, there are some INCREDIBLE places all around the Bay (my favorite places to go for a hike include the Berkeley hills, the Marin Headlands, and Mt. Diablo).

It might also be worth checking out some of the neighborhoods in Berkeley (Telegraph Avenue, Shattuck) and Oakland (Lakeshore, Rockridge). To be honest, San Francisco is so beautiful that you really can't go wrong just taking a walk or hopping on a streetcar to see all the beautiful neighborhoods in the city.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:58 pm

mab85 wrote:I think this was asked before but my status changed to "decision rendered" today and I didn't get an email. Should I expect a waitlist or ding? Do they notify you about the waitlist via snail mail? For those of you who were accepted, what did it say on your status checker?

anyone have any insight to this exact question? I am wondering as well bc mine just changed to DR but no email yet...

samtheclam1

Postby samtheclam1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:46 pm

lsatextreme wrote:
mab85 wrote:I think this was asked before but my status changed to "decision rendered" today and I didn't get an email. Should I expect a waitlist or ding? Do they notify you about the waitlist via snail mail? For those of you who were accepted, what did it say on your status checker?

anyone have any insight to this exact question? I am wondering as well bc mine just changed to DR but no email yet...

same thing happened to me? anybody have any ideas?

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:58 pm

samtheclam1 wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:

sigh if i don't get an email by the end of today, i'm going to expect a WL or ding. FML

hellocat

Postby hellocat » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:09 pm

lsatextreme wrote:
samtheclam1 wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:

sigh if i don't get an email by the end of today, i'm going to expect a WL or ding. FML

That happened to me... i got waitlisted through snail mail, DR but no email

orachelo

Postby orachelo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:01 pm

lsatextreme wrote:
samtheclam1 wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:

@lsatextreme - do you mind sharing when you went complete (or if it changed multiple times, what the last date was)? good luck, by the way.

mab85

Postby mab85 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:28 pm

samtheclam1 wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:

i ended up with a waitlist letter. i think it's safe to say that if you get "decision rendered" and you don't receive an acceptance email, you are either waitlisted or rejected. sorry for the bad news...

(my app was sent in 12/20, under review 1/20ish, DR 2/24)

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:36 pm

I've done research in the past it seems that you get a Decision Render and one business day later you receive an "Acceptance email" or your rejection waitlist letter in the mail. For those that receive DR's on Friday they got their acceptance emails on Monday. According to the past the times varied on when applicants received the emails. I too received a DR today. My file was sent in late DEC, and I went complete 3x, the final being FEB 3rd. Good luck to those wishing on USF!

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:11 pm

What are the chances of getting scholly money if one manages to get off the waitlist?

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:25 pm

I submitted on 1/7 and IC on 2/3 for the longest time until DR today around noontime or so. I thought if I was accepted then an email would arrive today but nothing :( are you sure it comes one business day later? There were reports earlier this thread where someone said the email followed couple hours after DR and in fact one person said the email arrived before the DR so I'm not sure...I hope you're right...

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:36 pm

I'm sure...check out University of San Francisco's forum for class of 2010. If you start from the 1st post and read down you'll see the trend is usually One Business Day later.
This year is only slightly different, everyone has a different experience but on average it appears that you get the DR first, then the email. The one person I saw said that she got the email first before the DR. However, she's the only one.

I would stay positive, read the post for last year and you'll see that it's very similar to this year. There are even some applicants that have said that they found out via status checker (this year and last)! How often has that happen during the application process?

PS. Check out LSN as of now...no one has updated their cycle as admitted (i.e. no emails). Would they only render decisions (on a Friday) for those that are going to be rejected and waitlisted?? Doesn't make sense.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:43 pm

Oh I do they usually mail acceptances on a Friday? I actually don't know

I want to stay positive and trust me I want to believe you. I really hope you were right but for some reason my often reliable gut instinct tells me differently...

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:47 pm

Well for our sake I hope your wrong! I'm in that same boat. I looked at the LSN profiles not very many of them got accepted on Friday. Several waitlisted and rejections on Fridays.
Uh-oh :(

Last year several people on TLS received DR's on Fridays and emails on Mondays. Surely, it can't be that different from last year?

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:51 pm

ps. scroll back to page 1 of this post for USF 2011. Look at Benny and several other's he received his DR on the 13th, but got the email on the 14th!

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:57 pm

Yea I see that. Ahhh all of this is speculation, I'm just not going to think about this over the weekend, but at least we can establish that if we don't even get the email on Monday then that's most likely a wl or deny

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:00 pm

Yup...sigh...I try to never think about applications over the weekend. You're right no email by the end of business day Monday then it's rejection or WL :(

Unless we get a letter in the mail tomorrow. That guy Rocks was Dr on a Friday and received his WL letter Saturday.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:03 pm

To be honest that's prob gonna be me since I live right next to the city but I'm typing this at the airport since I'm going out of town over the weekend. I guess ill know Sunday night if I received a letter...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”