University of San Francisco 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Norwood

Bronze

Re: University of San Francisco 2011

Post by Norwood » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:08 pm

gokickrocks wrote:Status still says complete, but the date updated to 12/15. I wonder what that means. . .
I'd get use to this... my status changed about 4 or 5 times before I got my decision last year. The status change usually means that they touched your file in someway whether you sent in an update, called about your status, changed your info, adcomm pulled it for review, etc.

such a tease : )

aidez-moi

Bronze

Post by aidez-moi » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:48 pm

Norwood wrote:I'd get use to this... my status changed about 4 or 5 times before I got my decision last year. The status change usually means that they touched your file in someway whether you sent in an update, called about your status, changed your info, adcomm pulled it for review, etc.

such a tease : )
Norwood, did you end up attending by any chance?

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:38 pm

Yup. Just finished my first semester and finals were brutal! I'm glad i'm done, although it does feel weird waking up and not having a whole day planned out with a schedule to keep.

feel free to ask any questions about the admissions process or USF law and I'll try my best to answer them when I have time. However, keep in mind I'm only a 1L so I'm not going to have too much insight on job prospects besides from what I've heard from 2 or 3Ls.

yoitsmebenny

Bronze

Post by yoitsmebenny » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:39 pm

Norwood wrote:Yup. Just finished my first semester and finals were brutal! I'm glad i'm done, although it does feel weird waking up and not having a whole day planned out with a schedule to keep.

feel free to ask any questions about the admissions process or USF law and I'll try my best to answer them when I have time. However, keep in mind I'm only a 1L so I'm not going to have too much insight on job prospects besides from what I've heard from 2 or 3Ls.
Can you give a little more info about how scholarships work? The letter said my offer was for first year only and not renewable. Does this mean there are no scholarships for 2L and 3L students or what?

samfii

Bronze

Post by samfii » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:02 pm

yoitsmebenny wrote:
Norwood wrote:Yup. Just finished my first semester and finals were brutal! I'm glad i'm done, although it does feel weird waking up and not having a whole day planned out with a schedule to keep.

Can you give a little more info about how scholarships work? The letter said my offer was for first year only and not renewable. Does this mean there are no scholarships for 2L and 3L students or what?
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

berkeleyman

New

Post by berkeleyman » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:06 pm

In via e-mail a few days ago :D

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:35 pm

samfii wrote:
yoitsmebenny wrote:

+1
Yeah I only got 10,000 for the first year and I was really surprised by that. I don't want to sound cocky but I kind of expected more.. or that amount for more than one year.

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:41 am

samfii wrote:
yoitsmebenny wrote:

+1
Most 1L scholarships that USF handed out last year were one time scholarships which range from 5k to entire first year of tuition and there were also some full ride schollys. There are advantages to having a one time scholarship since it is guaranteed money that you won't have to fight to renew it year to year. Other schools will offer a load of 10k renewable scholarships contingent on being in the top 10% which many of the students end up being unable to renew whereas USF will offer a good number of 25k one timers.

They do have additional scholarship awards based on your rank at the end of 1L and 2L, so you'll also have a chance "renew" your scholarship. I'm not sure what the specific amounts are yet... I'll worry about that when I see my fall grades!

There are also a number of additional scholarships that you can apply to such as ones based on interests, gpa, ethnic background, etc. For example, peeps interested in public interest can receive stipends for their summer externships. The scholarship office has been pretty good with keeping us up to date by email with any new scholarships that get passed onto them in addition to the ones they offer year to year.
ilovesf wrote: Yeah I only got 10,000 for the first year and I was really surprised by that. I don't want to sound cocky but I kind of expected more.. or that amount for more than one year.
Well you can try asking for more in the spring when they get a better picture of their class and remaining scholarship funds. I did this and got an additional 5k.

wokeemilo

New

Post by wokeemilo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:23 pm

In at USF via status checker and e-mail! I'm curious to see if I'll get any scholarship $...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

caligulove

New

Post by caligulove » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:01 pm

anyone hear anything? still complete after date change to 12/20

aidez-moi

Bronze

Post by aidez-moi » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:41 pm

ilovesf wrote:
samfii wrote:
yoitsmebenny wrote:

+1
Yeah I only got 10,000 for the first year and I was really surprised by that. I don't want to sound cocky but I kind of expected more.. or that amount for more than one year.
Yeah, they only gave me 10,000 for the first year too. I'd like to go check it out but paying $30,000 for a school ranked near 100 seems completely and utterly ridiculous.

What are you thinking?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:34 am

aidez-moi wrote:
ilovesf wrote: Yeah I only got 10,000 for the first year and I was really surprised by that. I don't want to sound cocky but I kind of expected more.. or that amount for more than one year.
Yeah, they only gave me 10,000 for the first year too. I'd like to go check it out but paying $30,000 for a school ranked near 100 seems completely and utterly ridiculous.

What are you thinking?
I was offered a full scholarship from a higher ranked school, so even though I'd love to stay in SF, it doesn't really make sense to attend USF. I will definitely not be attending.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:10 am

ilovesf wrote:
aidez-moi wrote:

What are you thinking?
I was offered a full scholarship from a higher ranked school, so even though I'd love to stay in SF, it doesn't really make sense to attend USF. I will definitely not be attending.
Why don't you try taking your scholarship offer from the higher ranked school and negotiating with USF?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LttleBlakDress

Bronze

Post by LttleBlakDress » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:24 pm

Just got in via email. No info about scholarships but does that come in the mail? As I'm still waiting for Hastings I'd secretly really like to tell my T40 acceptances to shove it and stay close to home...

LttleBlakDress

Bronze

Post by LttleBlakDress » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:48 pm

Were all the scholarship offers in the admit packets? I didn't see anything in mine and I'm kind of concerned.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:51 pm

LttleBlakDress wrote:Were all the scholarship offers in the admit packets? I didn't see anything in mine and I'm kind of concerned.
Mine was. I would call them and ask though just to confirm if I were you.

wokeemilo

New

Post by wokeemilo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:51 pm

LttleBlakDress wrote:Were all the scholarship offers in the admit packets? I didn't see anything in mine and I'm kind of concerned.
yes, although it's a little hard to spot at first because it's in the actual acceptance letter, not like a separate sheet of paper. i think mine was in the second paragraph or so?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wokeemilo

New

Post by wokeemilo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:55 pm

i got $30,000.00 for the first year only.

McNulty

Bronze

Post by McNulty » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:57 pm

I am in, didn't get any $ at all. Applied because I got a fee waiver. Won't be attending.

Lookingforanswers

New

Post by Lookingforanswers » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:24 pm

McNulty wrote:I am in, didn't get any $ at all. Applied because I got a fee waiver. Won't be attending.

Congrats on getting in though! My status checker has been updated 3 times in the last week, but no decision yet, i hope i hear something soon!

McNulty

Bronze

Post by McNulty » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:32 pm

Lookingforanswers wrote:
McNulty wrote:I am in, didn't get any $ at all. Applied because I got a fee waiver. Won't be attending.

Congrats on getting in though! My status checker has been updated 3 times in the last week, but no decision yet, i hope i hear something soon!
Thanks. I was four points above their 75th, so I was thinking I'd get at least something. Can't really get around my shaky GPA though. Oh well!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LttleBlakDress

Bronze

Post by LttleBlakDress » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:30 pm

McNulty wrote:
Lookingforanswers wrote:

Thanks. I was four points above their 75th, so I was thinking I'd get at least something. Can't really get around my shaky GPA though. Oh well!
+1

aidez-moi

Bronze

Post by aidez-moi » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:38 pm

Yeah, USF seems to be kind of a joke with scholarship $$.

Papa Smurf

New

Post by Papa Smurf » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:09 pm

I got accepted last week with a $30k scholarship (non-renewable).

I applied on Jan 1 because I wanted one more safety school (161/3.6), I wasn't anticipating USF becoming a serious contender haha

aidez-moi

Bronze

Post by aidez-moi » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:30 pm

Papa Smurf wrote:I got accepted last week with a $30k scholarship (non-renewable).

I applied on Jan 1 because I wanted one more safety school (161/3.6), I wasn't anticipating USF becoming a serious contender haha
Nice, congrats. The whole non-renewable thing is the deal breaker for me...it doesn't make sense

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”