In at Denver... Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crossarmant

Silver

Re: In at Denver...

Post by crossarmant » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:52 pm

After a lot of consideration, and despite my intense desire to go to DU, I'm going to put my deposit in for Rutgers Camden. Closer to family, scholarship, and cheap in-state tuition all just make too much sense. Hope I make someone on the Waitlist very happy. All of you enjoy the fresh mountain air for me.

Johnny5959

New

Post by Johnny5959 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:23 pm

Yeah, that's definitely the right decision. Good luck!

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:08 pm

Anyone had any luck getting the 2010 numbers? I know it was asked awhile back and I'm not sure it was answered. When I spoke to the school they told me to call a guy and talk to him about it.

IHaveLawyers

Bronze

Post by IHaveLawyers » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:28 am

Waitlisted today via email, the email was not very encouraging.

It read
We anticipate that we will not have to admit many applicants from the wait list.

irenic

New

Post by irenic » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:13 am

Will be declining my spot due to not receiving any scholarship aide. Disappointed, but the cost is simply too much.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:40 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:Waitlisted today via email, the email was not very encouraging.

It read
We anticipate that we will not have to admit many applicants from the wait list.
Wow, that's really not encouraging at all! Well, good luck anyway, if you're going to stick it out!

Pretty Lights

New

Post by Pretty Lights » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:22 pm

I'm in the process of accepting my financial aid award. I couldn't get a hold of anyone at the financial aid office and the voicemail box was full.

I was unsure whether to accept or decline on the page that reads:

"I authorize the University of Denver to apply any credit balance resulting from Title IV aid (Federal Stafford Loans, Perkins Loans, Pell Grants, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG), Academic Competitiveness Grants, and/or SMART Grants) to my tuition and fees at the University of Denver.

I am agreeing to the terms stated above and acknowledge that I understand that this authorization is voluntary and may be rescinded at any time either verbally or in writing. I understand that if I rescind this authorization, I will receive any credit balance on my tuition account within 14 days."

If I accept, the amount it costs for tuition will automatically be deducted from my financial aid award and the remaining amount will be sent to me?
If I decline, the entire award will be sent to me and it will be my responsibility to pay tuition?
Is this correct?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:26 pm

Pretty Lights wrote:I'm in the process of accepting my financial aid award. I couldn't get a hold of anyone at the financial aid office and the voicemail box was full.

"I authorize the University of Denver to apply any credit balance resulting from Title IV aid (Federal Stafford Loans, Perkins Loans, Pell Grants, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG), Academic Competitiveness Grants, and/or SMART Grants) to my tuition and fees at the University of Denver.

I am agreeing to the terms stated above and acknowledge that I understand that this authorization is voluntary and may be rescinded at any time either verbally or in writing. I understand that if I rescind this authorization, I will receive any credit balance on my tuition account within 14 days."

If I accept, the amount it costs for tuition will automatically be deducted from my financial aid award and the remaining amount will be sent to me?
If I decline, the entire award will be sent to me and it will be my responsibility to pay tuition?
Is this correct?
This is how I interpret it as well.

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:45 pm

Pretty Lights wrote:I'm in the process of accepting my financial aid award. I couldn't get a hold of anyone at the financial aid office and the voicemail box was full.

Is this correct?
Where are you seeing that? When I did ug loans, I remember that disclsoure because it meant that they would hold onto a remaining balance for next term's tuition, whereas if you declined they would take out the tuition, then return the balance to you.

But I don't recall seeing that in the t&c at all...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pretty Lights

New

Post by Pretty Lights » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:03 pm

After I accepted my award I pushed "continue" and that page was next. I wasn't given that option for my ug loans and wasn't sure why I was being given that option now. Before I accepted/declined my login expired. When I logged back in that page didn't appear, so who knows. Probably doesn't make much difference if they automatically take it out or if I pay, so whatever.

Johnny5959

New

Post by Johnny5959 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:27 pm

Pretty Lights wrote:After I accepted my award I pushed "continue" and that page was next. I wasn't given that option for my ug loans and wasn't sure why I was being given that option now. Before I accepted/declined my login expired. When I logged back in that page didn't appear, so who knows. Probably doesn't make much difference if they automatically take it out or if I pay, so whatever.

Pell Grants and all that stuff seem like they are limited to undergraduate financing. I'm not 100%, but I think we're just dealing with Scholarships and Loans

Pretty Lights

New

Post by Pretty Lights » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:00 pm

I am referring to loans

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:41 am

<--- in finals hell.

financial aid office is overrun with current students getting summer class loans squared away. give her a week or two before panicking.

MrWarre85-- what numbers?

willing to take all questions, dumb or otherwise, through PM or post.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Beastie62

New

Post by Beastie62 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:32 pm

jtx: is there any hope of getting a merit scholarship after your first year? is it relatively easy to get one or more of the named scholarships listed on the website? if so how much are they usually worth? is the super expensive law school parking pass worth it or will the cheaper one do? im from florida and i also wonder whether it would be worth it to live by the school just to avoid driving in the snow or is it not a big deal?

Beastie62

New

Post by Beastie62 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:36 pm

oh and also are you a 3L and if so how bleak is the employment situation?

ktc88

New

Post by ktc88 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:35 pm

Is this correct?
I was wondering about this too.....that is also how I interpreted it and I just said yes as I'm pretty sure you can change your mind...

Also another question I had, are any of you guys planning on doing the law school prep / preview? Is it worth the money? I was asking about it here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=154410 do any of you guys already enrolled have any experiences with it?

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:49 pm

Beastie62 wrote:jtx: is there any hope of getting a merit scholarship after your first year? is it relatively easy to get one or more of the named scholarships listed on the website? if so how much are they usually worth? is the super expensive law school parking pass worth it or will the cheaper one do? im from florida and i also wonder whether it would be worth it to live by the school just to avoid driving in the snow or is it not a big deal?
I have no idea about how easy it is to get a scholarship. That's pretty relative to situation.

Parking pass? now, lemme preach on that: i didn't get one for my half mile walk. Now I want one just cuz I'm lazy and driving is easier than walking. I will be getting one next year, but my commute will be long. I havent decided if I'll be getting the open lot or the 700 dollar one. the open lot is only 100 yds away. but I'm lazy....

Live by the school for convenience, not weather-worry. The "snow" is not a big deal. and if there is a decent storm, classes are cancelled.
Beastie62 wrote: oh and also are you a 3L and if so how bleak is the employment situation?
just a 1L, but i dont see anyone crying and panicking around here.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pretty Lights

New

Post by Pretty Lights » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:50 pm

Beastie62 wrote:jtx: is there any hope of getting a merit scholarship after your first year? is it relatively easy to get one or more of the named scholarships listed on the website? if so how much are they usually worth? is the super expensive law school parking pass worth it or will the cheaper one do? im from florida and i also wonder whether it would be worth it to live by the school just to avoid driving in the snow or is it not a big deal?

I'm wondering how convenient taking the light rail is. It looks like where it stops near DU is still at least a half mile from the law building. I want to avoid driving in the city every day. I ride my bike a few miles to work now, but I'm guessing I wont have as much ambition during school.

Beastie62

New

Post by Beastie62 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:55 pm

jtx: holy shit so that $474 for the law school lot they put on the website is per semester? dear god i guess nothing comes cheap at du. is that general pass worth it you think or are they too far away and too full? how much did your books end up costing each semester?

Johnny5959

New

Post by Johnny5959 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:11 pm

I was in town last week, with no car, and got around fine. The light rail was great... it's a half mile walk I guess... but that's not very far (in my opinion). And, anyone will tell you that the winters aren't awful... I am coming from Wisconsin... but still

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:04 pm

Beastie62 wrote:jtx: holy shit so that $474 for the law school lot they put on the website is per semester? dear god i guess nothing comes cheap at du. is that general pass worth it you think or are they too far away and too full? how much did your books end up costing each semester?

eh, i honestly have no idea. i was told 600 something by someone who bought one. I lived close by this year, so it wasnt something i looked into.

that light rail stop is pretty close.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Beastie62

New

Post by Beastie62 » Sun May 01, 2011 4:57 pm

and what about the books?

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Thu May 05, 2011 11:46 am

Beastie62 wrote:and what about the books?

just bought that L lot permit-- 474 for the whole year. not as bad as i was expecting.

books-- if you buy at DU book store, it's about 200 a class (x 4 in the fall, and x 3 in the spring.) some more, some less. just be ready for 800 ish and be happy if when it is less.

I highly recommend everybody nut up and order the books online somewhere. Even Amazon will cut your costs almost in half. You just have to be a grown up about it and be ready to (possibly) not be ready for up to the first week of classes, depending on shipping.

edit: you can also find the text book in the library if your books aint delivered yet, or borrow from a classmate like i did.

--ImageRemoved--

jduds

New

Post by jduds » Wed May 11, 2011 8:02 pm

Got accepted like a week ago received 20k a year scholarship offer. I will be attending!!! Anyone know anything about the graduate dorms? I am thinking of living there my first year so I can be on campus.

IamAskier

Bronze

Post by IamAskier » Wed May 11, 2011 8:39 pm

jduds wrote:Got accepted like a week ago received 20k a year scholarship offer. I will be attending!!! Anyone know anything about the graduate dorms? I am thinking of living there my first year so I can be on campus.
My understanding is that, like every other university, they're over priced and probably nearly full by now. I thought about them as well, but I think it's cheaper to go off campus.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”