In at Denver...

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
IamAskier

Re: In at Denver...

Postby IamAskier » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:24 pm

I had no idea my name was so difficult. But now that I've heard it, I kinda like "I'm Askier", makes me sound like I have thirst for knowledge or something.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:35 pm

Any thoughts on where DU will be ranked in 10 years? (Wanting to see if anyone else has "drank the kool-aid.")

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:46 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:Any thoughts on where DU will be ranked in 10 years? (Wanting to see if anyone else has "drank the kool-aid.")

75. I think it will fluctuate slightly, but will probably end up just a little better than it's doing now with it's increased bar passage rate and higher employment statistics. I find it highly unlikely to gain more ground than that, however.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:23 pm

chrisbru wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:Any thoughts on where DU will be ranked in 10 years? (Wanting to see if anyone else has "drank the kool-aid.")

75. I think it will fluctuate slightly, but will probably end up just a little better than it's doing now with it's increased bar passage rate and higher employment statistics. I find it highly unlikely to gain more ground than that, however.

I'm wasted on propaganda. I say 55 if they keep cutting classes and hiring more profs

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:44 pm

chrisbru wrote:

This, but if Denver keeps growing at the rate it does and DU cuts class sizes that should boost the local salaries a little.

I would say 71-73ish. 68 at the highest and that would be a perfect storm and a bunch of other schools dropping the ball.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:02 pm

typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

This, but if Denver keeps growing at the rate it does and DU cuts class sizes that should boost the local salaries a little.

I would say 71-73ish. 68 at the highest and that would be a perfect storm and a bunch of other schools dropping the ball.

Yeah but salaries are even factored into the USNEWS rankings formula. http://www.usnews.com/education/article ... ethodology

all the really need is to keep buying LSATS and keep up with the positive marketing

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:44 pm

I agree that DU would be hard pressed to ever break out of the second tier; though CU has fallen in recent years while DU has consistently risen. I believe DU will keep performing well, but any considerable jump in the rankings at this point would require other schools to drop considerably.

edit for question: Has/is DU cutting class size? If so how large did classes used to be?

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:34 pm

IamAskier wrote:I agree that DU would be hard pressed to ever break out of the second tier; though CU has fallen in recent years while DU has consistently risen. I believe DU will keep performing well, but any considerable jump in the rankings at this point would require other schools to drop considerably.

edit for question: Has/is DU cutting class size? If so how large did classes used to be?

Cutting class size is the best way to move up the rankings (I live in Austin and I know that is the main reason UT is now in the T 14)
You improve your faculty/student ratio as well as your expenditures per student. Additionally, most of the time you end up with higher medians because you naturally become more selective.

DU used to have 350 students-- I think the class that just graduated was the last large class. Now they are down to 300.

A big change but I don't think there are plans to get down further. Kinda think they should because so many of their graduates can't find full time legal work-- or don't want to, something that I heard at ASD.

Omega10

Postby Omega10 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:57 pm

mrwarre85 wrote: A big change but I don't think there are plans to get down further. Kinda think they should because so many of their graduates can't find full time legal work-- or don't want to, something that I heard at ASD.

Wow, really?? That's quite interesting, why wouldn't they want full-time legal work? Just curious as to what you heard at ASD. I hope to god we'll all be gainfully employed as soon as possible :) assuming we still want that.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:55 am

Omega10 wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote: A big change but I don't think there are plans to get down further. Kinda think they should because so many of their graduates can't find full time legal work-- or don't want to, something that I heard at ASD.

Wow, really?? That's quite interesting, why wouldn't they want full-time legal work? Just curious as to what you heard at ASD. I hope to god we'll all be gainfully employed as soon as possible :) assuming we still want that.

I want a job too. I didn't hear it from faculty of course. Heard it from some of the students. Some of the things they said made sense like having a large portion of part-timers that often don't want private practice. Some things about the culture of the school they said made less sense. Bottom line they thought it was a combo of a bad market and a school where a lot of grads aren't looking for traditional employment.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:01 am

mrwarre85 wrote:
Omega10 wrote:

I want a job too. I didn't hear it from faculty of course. Heard it from some of the students. Some of the things they said made sense like having a large portion of part-timers that often don't want private practice. Some things about the culture of the school they said made less sense. Bottom line they thought it was a combo of a bad market and a school where a lot of grads aren't looking for traditional employment.

There's also a bit of a feeling in the general Denver business market that a JD is the new MBA (i.e., anybody and their dog can get an MBA, but it takes someone with smarts and persistance to make it through a JD program.) DU's part-time program fills this niche quite well, as someone who already has a professional job can go to school at night for four years (3 if you go over the summers), then move up in their job in much the same way an MBA would. No need for full-time legal employment, no real need to even pass the bar. All some people want is the letters JD after their name.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:40 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:
Omega10 wrote:

There's also a bit of a feeling in the general Denver business market that a JD is the new MBA (i.e., anybody and their dog can get an MBA, but it takes someone with smarts and persistance to make it through a JD program.) DU's part-time program fills this niche quite well, as someone who already has a professional job can go to school at night for four years (3 if you go over the summers), then move up in their job in much the same way an MBA would. No need for full-time legal employment, no real need to even pass the bar. All some people want is the letters JD after their name.

That makes sense. I wish DU could break it down and say-- this many day students found full time work vs. this many night students.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:55 pm

Law schools in general are notoriously cryptic and misleading with any employment statistics. Its difficult to ever get a realistic view of employment numbers I'm convinced. There are just so many factors to consider that effect employment data.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:52 pm

So anyone sent their deposit yet?

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:00 pm

IamAskier wrote:So anyone sent their deposit yet?

Sending it tomorrow - once the paycheck gets in!

Maury Levy

Postby Maury Levy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:10 pm

IamAskier wrote:Law schools in general are notoriously cryptic and misleading with any employment statistics. Its difficult to ever get a realistic view of employment numbers I'm convinced. There are just so many factors to consider that effect employment data.

Not only that, but it seems like steroids in baseball during the mid to late nineties.

"Everyone else is doing it to maintain a competitive standing."

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:33 pm

I just heard from Denver with admissions! Huzzah! Barring what I hear from Seattle or U of Oregon (Or some other absurd scholarship awards), I may just be going there!

Never been to CO, so for people around there what do you think of it, looks like the type of place I'd love. I live in Richmond, VA but grew up in Roanoke, went to college at Virginia Tech, so I love the outdoors, mountains, hiking (Appalachian Trail was a 15 min drive away). Also looks like a mecca for craft brew fans too.
Last edited by crossarmant on Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:34 pm

Maury Levy wrote:
IamAskier wrote:Law schools in general are notoriously cryptic and misleading with any employment statistics. Its difficult to ever get a realistic view of employment numbers I'm convinced. There are just so many factors to consider that effect employment data.

Not only that, but it seems like steroids in baseball during the mid to late nineties.

"Everyone else is doing it to maintain a competitive standing."

Yeah its like a game of prisoners dilemma.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:37 pm

crossarmant wrote:I just heard from Denver with admissions! Huzzah! Barring what I hear from Seattle of U of Oregon (Or some other absurd scholarship awards), I may just be going there!

Never been to CO, so for people around there what do you think of it, looks like the type of place I'd love. I live in Richmond, VA but grew up in Roanoke, went to college at Virginia Tech, so I love the outdoors, mountains, hiking (Appalachian Trail was a 15 min drive away). Also looks like a mecca for craft brew fans too.

Sounds like you will like Denver. Looked at your stats and you must have done a great job explaining that GPA. Anyway acceptance at DU must feel good because it shows you had a great applications. Congrats.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:39 pm

crossarmant wrote:I just heard from Denver with admissions! Huzzah! Barring what I hear from Seattle of U of Oregon (Or some other absurd scholarship awards), I may just be going there!

Congrats cross!

I'm biased, since I've grown up in Denver, but it's a pretty great city to live in. The pace of life is nice, not too slow, not too fast. If you're into outdoor sports, there's hundreds of miles of bike trails in and around the metro area, lots of mountain biking, and the mountains are really only about 1/2 hour away (though skiing will take you and hour and a half or so to get deep in.)

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:34 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:Sounds like you will like Denver. Looked at your stats and you must have done a great job explaining that GPA. Anyway acceptance at DU must feel good because it shows you had a great applications. Congrats.

Well, I definitely had some extraneous circumstances. I had someone very important to me pass away pretty much every year and weathered the massacre at Virginia Tech. Luckily doing some work at University of Richmond after graduation and getting a 3.8 gpa helped out A LOT. I know I could've done better on my LSAT, but I'm pleased enough with it. I imagine with my GPA a 167 wouldn't do too terribly much more than a 160.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:34 pm

crossarmant wrote:Well, I definitely had some extraneous circumstances. I had someone very important to me pass away pretty much every year and weathered the massacre at Virginia Tech. Luckily doing some work at University of Richmond after graduation and getting a 3.8 gpa helped out A LOT. I know I could've done better on my LSAT, but I'm pleased enough with it. I imagine with my GPA a 167 wouldn't do too terribly much more than a 160.

I would definitely disagree with you there. But I wouldn't be disappointed in what you've been offered this cycle.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:39 pm

chrisbru wrote:
crossarmant wrote:Well, I definitely had some extraneous circumstances. I had someone very important to me pass away pretty much every year and weathered the massacre at Virginia Tech. Luckily doing some work at University of Richmond after graduation and getting a 3.8 gpa helped out A LOT. I know I could've done better on my LSAT, but I'm pleased enough with it. I imagine with my GPA a 167 wouldn't do too terribly much more than a 160.

I would definitely disagree with you there. But I wouldn't be disappointed in what you've been offered this cycle.

This +1. A 167 would give you completely different and better schools and a lot more money at similarly ranked schools to Denver.

ash8309

Postby ash8309 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:46 pm

Has anyone on this board been offered the Chancellor scholarship?

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:51 pm

ash8309 wrote:Has anyone on this board been offered the Chancellor scholarship?

A few people have. If you go through this thread you'll see.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”