In at Denver...

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bakerka2

Re: In at Denver...

Postby bakerka2 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:49 pm

Hey this is Kasey! It was so great meeting you all last night, not sure if I'll make it tonight!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:46 pm

I'll be there but I'm just leaving estes park now.

jduds

Postby jduds » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:29 pm

Just applied today 3.5 160 was that a waste of cash or do you think I have a chance???

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:54 pm

jduds wrote:Just applied today 3.5 160 was that a waste of cash or do you think I have a chance???

I bet you have a chance because you are at their medians. Are you willing to pay sticker?

jduds

Postby jduds » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:16 pm

Yea I'm willing to pay at this point I have been dinged by most of my top choices just hoping to get accepted how long do you think it will take for them to let me know??

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:03 pm

jduds wrote:Yea I'm willing to pay at this point I have been dinged by most of my top choices just hoping to get accepted how long do you think it will take for them to let me know??

With that attitude, I bet you will get accepted soon. I think 160 is the magic number with DU for this cycle as well.

Pretty Lights

Postby Pretty Lights » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:54 pm

Was anyone planning on posting about how ASD went?

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:03 pm

Pretty Lights wrote:Was anyone planning on posting about how ASD went?

Sure I'll go. I thought campus was very nice and the law school was the best I've ever toured. ASD went well: The presentations were as expected although there weren't any hard facts or figures thrown around. Tons of optimism, about what you'd expect.

Denver rocks.

kent99

Postby kent99 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:20 pm

so, I'm thinking about waiting a year to raise my LSAT and try to get more $$.

Problem is, while I know how my numbers measure up, I have no clue in the area of "softs."

Anyone with a $20,000 or $25,000 scholarship offer willing to share their softs so I know what I can expect??

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:35 pm

kent99 wrote:so, I'm thinking about waiting a year to raise my LSAT and try to get more $$.

Problem is, while I know how my numbers measure up, I have no clue in the area of "softs."

Anyone with a $20,000 or $25,000 scholarship offer willing to share their softs so I know what I can expect??

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

I have a full with marginal softs / still in undergrad. Nothing outstanding for WE just summer jobs president of a few clubs.

I know people with the 25k who got them while in UG with nothing outstanding for softs. They primarily look at your numbers. However, if your GPA is crap, you can score a 170+ and they will still only throw you 20k

lfp

Postby lfp » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:42 pm

Let me live vicariously, since I missed the weekend - anyone else have some thoughts on DU???

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:30 pm

lfp wrote:Let me live vicariously, since I missed the weekend - anyone else have some thoughts on DU???

It was a good time. The student panel was a good mix of a 1L night, a 2L day and a 2L night, and a 3L day. All of them are really involved in their classes and school activities, societies, etc., so they all had some good advice and knowledge about what the school is like. The faculty on the panel were all funny and personable (my favorite was the discussion about what kind of technology they used, running the gamut from no computers allowed, handwritten exams, to everything is on computers).

Their were a ton of parents there with their kids, who have my sympathy. The funniest part was when a mom asked the student panel to talk about the low bar passage rate, and the student gave the appropriate answer of "Um, that was five years ago. Last year we had a 91% passage rate." Then, during the teacher panel someone asked the same question, and there was an audible groan throughout the audience, as if to say "Weren't you listening?"

The tour was good, nothing special. Food at the reception was good, catered by DU's own kitchen. I skipped the financial aid meeting, but I heard that a parent was laying it on thick with the head of the financial aid office.

As for the TLS after party, I had a great time. We had about 9 people - me, typ3, Adrian Yale, Daniel Joseph, Imaskier (still can't get over that it's "I'm a skier" and not "I'm Askier"), bakerka2, as well as SO's and one more (can't remember her name, we didn't get to talk!), and lots of laughs. The next night, I got to meet up with mrwarre85 and his SO, then finished the night with a scotch with Daniel. All in all, a pretty rocking weekend!

lfp

Postby lfp » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:44 pm

Not sure if it was addressed/it would be something you would have wanted to know about, but did they address the sorts of public interest opportunities for DU students, what sorts of organizations where students have found employment, and/or the quality of the clinical programs? I'm a little antsy to commit my PI career to a city that may or may not suck for PI (outside of the PD's office), so you thoughts would be most appreciated.

dean6673

Postby dean6673 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:52 pm

I know this may be a bit off-topic, but I have a dilemma and could use some input from future Denver 1Ls.

I went to ASD this past weekend and thought the law school was beautiful and the students seemed fairly friendly. The student-led tour was a little dull, but I guess that is expected when you bunch 15 strangers up with a nervous student tourguide. Also, I fell in love with the city and the night-life. I'm gay and managed to make a few new friends and hit up a bar or two.

Anyways, Denver is offering me 20k a year. I live in Seattle now, and I am strongly considering going to Seattle U with a scholarship of 12.5k a year (however, I have to remain in the top 25% of my class to keep it).

So what do you think, relocate to Denver with a more generous scholarship and (slightly) cheaper cost of living and tuition OR stay in Seattle (having never lived outside of WA state before, and with a job at a law office)?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:53 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:Imaskier (still can't get over that it's "I'm a skier" and not "I'm Askier"),!

Wait, so it's not I-mah-skee-ay? I just figured he was french...

... By the way, officially withdrew today. Hope my $$ get distributed to some well deserving TLS'ers!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:57 pm

dean6673 wrote:I know this may be a bit off-topic, but I have a dilemma and could use some input from future Denver 1Ls.

I went to ASD this past weekend and thought the law school was beautiful and the students seemed fairly friendly. The student-led tour was a little dull, but I guess that is expected when you bunch 15 strangers up with a nervous student tourguide. Also, I fell in love with the city and the night-life. I'm gay and managed to make a few new friends and hit up a bar or two.

Anyways, Denver is offering me 20k a year. I live in Seattle now, and I am strongly considering going to Seattle U with a scholarship of 12.5k a year (however, I have to remain in the top 25% of my class to keep it).

So what do you think, relocate to Denver with a more generous scholarship and (slightly) cheaper cost of living and tuition OR stay in Seattle (having never lived outside of WA state before, and with a job at a law office)?

Do you want to come back to Seattle? Or would you rather work in Denver?

With your current job (which, I'm assuming, you could keep at least part time during school) you should be able to find a job pretty well here. That gives you a leg up on any other SU students, especially those not from Seattle.

In Denver, you lose that edge, and don't have the connections you have here. I LOVE Denver, and love Seattle as well, but I would look at it as a long future decision rather than a 3 year commitment. With both schools, it's harder to leave the immediate area than you think, although you might have a decent shot at coming back to Seattle with your ties.

FWIW Gay nightlife is still better in Seattle though, from what I can tell.

lfp

Postby lfp » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:00 pm

... By the way, officially withdrew today. Hope my $$ get distributed to some well deserving TLS'ers![/quote]

Can I ask what made you decide against Denver? Was it something about the school/program or more a life choice thing?

upfish

Postby upfish » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:08 pm

dean6673 wrote:I know this may be a bit off-topic, but I have a dilemma and could use some input from future Denver 1Ls.

I negotiated with Seattle last year and got an extra $3k. I ended up withdrawing, but it's something to consider if you want to make that offer more attractive. I just withdrew from there again this year, so I know they've got an extra $18k lyin' around for maybe another LGBTQ student like myself. =)

dean6673

Postby dean6673 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:18 pm

@Chrisbru- I am basing my opinion on Denver having spent only 3 days there...but I do like the fact that 1.) it's the only law school in the city and 2.) The local, state, and federal government is centered there. As far as my Seattle job goes, I am working as a legal assistant for a low-wage fresh out of undergrad. It has served as a good foot in the door, however. Just not sure whether or not staying with this job would forego other opportunities.

@upfish- To negotiate, did you call the Financial Aid office or walk in and demand money ;)?

upfish

Postby upfish » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:01 pm

dean6673 wrote:@upfish- To negotiate, did you call the Financial Aid office or walk in and demand money ;)?

I sent this email to the general law admissions email address:

"Dear Mrs. Annette E. Clark and the Admissions Committee,

Good afternoon! I hope this email finds you all well and in good spirits. I am writing to express my gratitude at having been chosen for the Dean's Diversity Scholarship. Seattle University has been my top school throughout the application process, and I am delighted not only to have been admitted, but also to have been awarded such an honor by the committee.

However, due to the economy and my financial situation, it is a strong possibility that the cost of attendance at Seattle University may be too great for me to consider it feasible at present. Because I maintain a great interest in the university, especially its passion for social justice, I would hate to have to strongly consider attending another school. Because of this, I would like to respectfully ask the committee if it would be possible to increase the amount of the scholarship I am currently awarded, or if there are other scholarships I might be considered for.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Upfish"

I sound like a total douche, but I think I pulled the basic template off TLS originally, so there you go!

Just replace Seattle with DU and you can also make this seem like an on-topic thread post!

dean6673

Postby dean6673 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanks for the advice!

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:32 pm

jduds wrote:Yea I'm willing to pay at this point I have been dinged by most of my top choices just hoping to get accepted how long do you think it will take for them to let me know??

Wait a year. Repply. You will thank yourself.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:22 pm

Anyone else read DU's strategic plan?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:39 pm

lfp wrote:... By the way, officially withdrew today. Hope my $$ get distributed to some well deserving TLS'ers!

Can I ask what made you decide against Denver? Was it something about the school/program or more a life choice thing?[/quote]

A full-tuition scholarship at University of Iowa. Really, that was the only thing... I couldn't justify an extra $60k (between the difference of tuition - $25k scholarship and higher cost of living) to attend a much lower ranked school in a city that I would totally love to live in, but am not dead set on. I feel Iowa + low debt will get me where I want to go as well, so the lower debt won.

Oh, and Big 10 football. And a rockin' party reputation. And friends/family in Des Moines and Iowa City instead of being a 10 hour drive from them. I guess those are all good reasons too!

Denver is definitely a kickass school though... No doubt about it. I would have been completely happy going to school there.

ETA:
dean6673 wrote:@Chrisbru- I am basing my opinion on Denver having spent only 3 days there...but I do like the fact that 1.) it's the only law school in the city and 2.) The local, state, and federal government is centered there. As far as my Seattle job goes, I am working as a legal assistant for a low-wage fresh out of undergrad. It has served as a good foot in the door, however. Just not sure whether or not staying with this job would forego other opportunities.

Any law job leads to contacts which leads to opportunities. Not saying you won't have this in Denver... But you already have a start in Seattle. Yes, Denver is the only law school in the city... But having CU in Boulder is hardly different than having it in Denver. If UW was in Tacoma, it would still place really well in Seattle. So please don't let that one be a factor. And Olympia isn't that far... with Seattle U being the closest (by a very small amount) school TO the government there.

All things considered, Seattle and Denver are VERY MUCH peer schools... Almost to a definition. I would be very leary to leave Seattle for a peer school if you intend on being in Seattle, or the northwest at all. However, Denver is a great school, and you would no doubt be happy there. So, if you don't care WHERE you land... Go to Denver. Less debt + 277 days more of sunshine than Seattle per year = :D

Daniel Joseph

Postby Daniel Joseph » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:14 pm

Have you been attacked by an indoor wolf?

Nice meeting the group at Jordan's? on Friday night.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”