In at Denver...

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fundamentallybroken

Re: In at Denver...

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:45 pm

IamAskier wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:
Oh ffs. I had a long response to this, but the internet ate it.

I'll try to respond in full later - I agree it should be addressed, but the answer everyone will come up will be different depending on each person. 2014 != 2009, for better or worse. The decision shouldn't rest entirely (and arguably even significantly) on employment statistics that will be five years old when you graduate. It should rest on how much risk you're willing to take, and what you're willing to do to make things work.

Agree, I don't think anyone wants to mix gloomy economic reports with heavy drinking. Plus, on a totally unrelated note, anyone know approximate cab fare from the airport to campus? I'm staying at La Quinta 2 blocks east of campus, and am debating whether or not to rent a car.

If you go to DIA's website, they have transportation options, including cab fares (they're all a flat rate from the airport, but I'm not sure how much to go to DU). I think it's $50 to $60, but you can also take a Skyride bus, a Super Shuttle, or just rent a car.

ktc88

Postby ktc88 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:23 pm

IamAskier wrote:
Oh ffs. I had a long response to this, but the internet ate it.

I'll try to respond in full later - I agree it should be addressed, but the answer everyone will come up will be different depending on each person. 2014 != 2009, for better or worse. The decision shouldn't rest entirely (and arguably even significantly) on employment statistics that will be five years old when you graduate. It should rest on how much risk you're willing to take, and what you're willing to do to make things work.

Agree, I don't think anyone wants to mix gloomy economic reports with heavy drinking. Plus, on a totally unrelated note, anyone know approximate cab fare from the airport to campus? I'm staying at La Quinta 2 blocks east of campus, and am debating whether or not to rent a car.

Denver has one of a furthest airports from the city I've ever seen. A solid 30-35 minute drive from downtown, and this is with normal traffic. Depending on when you get in, you may encounter alot of traffic, it can get bad, it's taken me 50 minutes before.

DU is furthur south than downtown, another 8-10 minutes. You're looking at a pretty hefty cab ride

Your best bet might be a flat rate shuttle to downtown then bus to DU

stargarmin

Postby stargarmin » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:40 pm

I just wanted to provide some hope to people who were relatively late to the party.

Application completed 3/16.
Accepted 3/21.

GPA 3.4, LSAT 160, pretty strong on the soft factors IMO

No scholarship, yet. But sending a polite e-mail to inquire nevertheless.

ls_hopeful

Postby ls_hopeful » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:14 am

stargarmin wrote:I just wanted to provide some hope to people who were relatively late to the party.

Accepted 3/21.

Congrats! Did your status checker ever change? I went complete on 3/17 and it still says ready for review. We have similar numbers, but I only applied part-time so hopefully I still have a chance!

stargarmin

Postby stargarmin » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:47 am

ls_hopeful wrote:
stargarmin wrote:I just wanted to provide some hope to people who were relatively late to the party.

Accepted 3/21.

Congrats! Did your status checker ever change? I went complete on 3/17 and it still says ready for review. We have similar numbers, but I only applied part-time so hopefully I still have a chance!

It went from complete/ready for review to admitted only. The status checker was updated the same morning/time that I received the acceptance e-mail. Good luck!!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:33 pm

I have been out of the country for the last week and I can't get my computer to open the parking permit for the ASW tomorrow. I have to leave at 4:30 A.M. Would anyone be able to download the parking permit and send me it in an email or PM in Doc or PDF format? If not no problemo I will figure something out off campus. Is there any word on drinks / food? I don't really want to be at the reception for its entirety. Two hours is a little long.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:17 pm

typ3 wrote:I have been out of the country for the last week and I can't get my computer to open the parking permit for the ASW tomorrow. I have to leave at 4:30 A.M. Would anyone be able to download the parking permit and send me it in an email or PM in Doc or PDF format? If not no problemo I will figure something out off campus. Is there any word on drinks / food? I don't really want to be at the reception for its entirety. Two hours is a little long.

I think the plan is 15 minutes after out in front of the law school. I'm curious as well though, 15 minutes after what? The reception? The Financial aid meeting?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:36 pm

IamAskier wrote:
typ3 wrote:I have been out of the country for the last week and I can't get my computer to open the parking permit for the ASW tomorrow. I have to leave at 4:30 A.M. Would anyone be able to download the parking permit and send me it in an email or PM in Doc or PDF format? If not no problemo I will figure something out off campus. Is there any word on drinks / food? I don't really want to be at the reception for its entirety. Two hours is a little long.

I think the plan is 15 minutes after out in front of the law school. I'm curious as well though, 15 minutes after what? The reception? The Financial aid meeting?

This and where are we meeting at? I will have a rental car so I can haul a few if people want and be a DD.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:28 pm

typ3 wrote:
IamAskier wrote:

This and where are we meeting at? I will have a rental car so I can haul a few if people want and be a DD.

I think we're safest just saying 7:00, in the quad (there's a garden right down the steps of the Ricketson Law building, where the reception is - it has the points of the compass, from the looks of the google map). The reception isn't just the reception - there's also a financial aid meeting and various booths set up with program information. Plus, if we say any earlier, we risk excluding someone who may have been caught up enjoying the reception and doesn't make it out.

As for place, we're probably safest just walking somewhere, so people don't have to worry about driving. We can decide for sure tomorrow evening, but I'll throw out Jordan's (walking away from the mountains on Evans, it's 1/2 block past University), the Border (on University, again walking away from the mountains), or Spanky's (on Evans, walking towards the mountains, a couple of blocks - right next to Jerusalem Restaurant).

If you're from out of town, you'll soon find everything in Denver is directed to you by North, South, East, and West. The mountains are always directly west, so it's pretty easy to orient yourself.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:00 pm

Sounds good. I was walking around campus today and found this compass garden, it's impossible to miss. First impressions of the school is it's pretty nice. I was extremely impressed with the school and the law school building in particular is top notch.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:02 pm

IamAskier wrote:Sounds good. I was walking around campus today and found this compass garden, it's impossible to miss. First impressions of the school is it's pretty nice. I was extremely impressed with the school and the law school building in particular is top notch.

Yeah, the law building is really nice. That's where I took the LSAT!

lfp

Postby lfp » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:35 am

I would just like to point out that all of this talk of Spanky's, Jordan's, and street names like University Blvd., etc. are making me both a) excited to come out and visit DU in a few weeks/start in the fall, and b) nostalgic, since there's something surreal about starting your legal career down the street from the place where you went for dinner before Homecoming in high school (I was a classy gal, and Spanky's has some fantastic burgers). Have fun everyone!

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:01 am

lfp wrote:I would just like to point out that all of this talk of Spanky's, Jordan's, and street names like University Blvd., etc. are making me both a) excited to come out and visit DU in a few weeks/start in the fall, and b) nostalgic, since there's something surreal about starting your legal career down the street from the place where you went for dinner before Homecoming in high school (I was a classy gal, and Spanky's has some fantastic burgers). Have fun everyone!

That's awesome lfp - too bad you can't make it to today's open house!

I was thinking last night about how strange it is how much of my life has happended around the DU campus. I used to live in an apartment building that is now student housing, watched out my window as they built the sports arena, took the LSAT in the Ricketson building, afterward walked to Jerusalem and met family for dinner (we call it J-Ru though, it's easier). I guess it's fitting that I'll launch a new career there as well!

lfp

Postby lfp » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:34 pm

lfp wrote:I would just like to point out that all of this talk of Spanky's, Jordan's, and street names like University Blvd., etc. are making me both a) excited to come out and visit DU in a few weeks/start in the fall, and b) nostalgic, since there's something surreal about starting your legal career down the street from the place where you went for dinner before Homecoming in high school (I was a classy gal, and Spanky's has some fantastic burgers). Have fun everyone!

I was thinking last night about how strange it is how much of my life has happended around the DU campus. I used to live in an apartment building that is now student housing, watched out my window as they built the sports arena, took the LSAT in the Ricketson building, afterward walked to Jerusalem and met family for dinner (we call it J-Ru though, it's easier). I guess it's fitting that I'll launch a new career there as well!

This is going to be ridiculous. Just like when I was 16, I'm going to end up spending an inordinate amount of time reading and sipping coffee on the porch of Stella's on Pearl with the rest of tween hipsters of south Denver.

Please everyone: tell me your thoughts on the weekend, since I'm chained to my desk today and want to know everything!

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:47 pm

lfp wrote:

This is going to be ridiculous. Just like when I was 16, I'm going to end up spending an inordinate amount of time reading and sipping coffee on the porch of Stella's on Pearl with the rest of tween hipsters of south Denver.

Please everyone: tell me your thoughts on the weekend, since I'm chained to my desk today and want to know everything!

Oh my, I forgot about the evenings at Stella's! Yikes, I still know people who go there regularly - people who bought houses nearby just so they could still go!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:38 pm

Did we decide on a place yet? I am practically pulling out my eye lashes waiting to go drink and eat.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:21 am

The Good: TLSers.
The Bad: Student Forums and lackluster tour guides.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:16 am

typ3 wrote:The Good: TLSers.
The Bad: Student Forums and lackluster tour guides.

Agreed, although the student forums weren't as bad as CU's from what other posters have said (no one trashed other schools, and most were really involved in their studies and student groups).

On to ASD2, Electric Boogaloo:

Tonight, Charlie Brown's, 8ish? It's at 10th and Grant, big green awning, you can't miss it. If you're staying in the Burnsley, just walk out of the lobby and around the corner.

If you're near DU, there's three ways you can go: Car, train and walk, or train and bus. All have pros and cons.

Car, you just drive west on Evans to Broadway, hang a right, drive north until 10th, take a right, east two blocks to Grant, park. Pros: easy and quick. Cons, if you drink too much you don't want to be cabbing back to DU and having your car there (especially if you have a flight tomorrow.)

Train and walk: Take the F or the H train to downtown, then take the 16th street mall shuttle to civic center (away from the mountains, toward the capital). Walk East on Colfax to Grant (two blocks), then South on Grant 5 block to Charlie Brown's. Pro: it's pretty easy. Con: Colfax and Grant is kind of a rough area, but not "I'm gonna get shot" rough. More like "Wow, there's a lot of drug dealers and homeless people around here" rough. I used to live two blocks away.

Train and bus: Take the F or the H to the Broadway Station (two stops), and get off. Take the 0 bus going downtown (your train ticket acts as a transfer), and get off the bus at 10th. Walk East two block to the bar. Pro: less walking. Con: the 0 bus is also known as the homeless bus. Lots of crazies get on that bus, so it can get a bit wild at times. Though certainly not dangerous.

Edit: Oops, can't do dinner. We cancelled White Fence Farms, but now have plans to go to a friend's house for bbq, beer, and a jello mold (lime.) I'm so fucking suburban it's scary.
Last edited by fundamentallybroken on Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:34 am

I forgot: cabs are also an alternative, probably $10-$15 between DU and Charlie Brown's, each way.

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:59 am

I haven't gotten a single acceptance letter yet, only rejections and one wait list offer. Denver as a July 1 application deadline, which is really late. Do you think there's even a slight chance for me (2.5 overall GPA, 3.23 in major, 159) at this point in the game? Or should I just save my money?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Well, charlie brown is right next to the Burnsley where I'm at and we're going shopping all day at CC. So I'm fine with that. I am just sad we will miss out on the petting zoo.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:38 pm

b.j. wrote:I haven't gotten a single acceptance letter yet, only rejections and one wait list offer. Denver as a July 1 application deadline, which is really late. Do you think there's even a slight chance for me (2.5 overall GPA, 3.23 in major, 159) at this point in the game? Or should I just save my money?

Part time you have a chance. Not a great one I wouldn't think, though.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:39 pm

Who is staying at the Burnsley? Ha we went to Charlie Browns last night, good atmosphere.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:24 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:Who is staying at the Burnsley? Ha we went to Charlie Browns last night, good atmosphere.

Why for did you not join us last night? We had a pretty damn good time after ASD.

I've confirmed, I'll be at Charlie Brown's 8ish, if anyone wasn't there last night, I'll be wearing a bright yellow t-shirt over a long john shirt. For those of you that were around, I'll be clean shaven this time (wife hates the beard!)

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:26 pm

typ3 wrote:Well, charlie brown is right next to the Burnsley where I'm at and we're going shopping all day at CC. So I'm fine with that. I am just sad we will miss out on the petting zoo.

Sadly, no petting zoo for us either. Our friend's kid is sick, so we've postponed for a couple weeks.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”