In at Denver...

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fundamentallybroken

Re: In at Denver...

Postby fundamentallybroken » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:31 pm

Just got my email saying I'm a no-go for the Chancellor.

Still going to DU, and still psyched about it, even if I am a little let down by that email. Of course, I got the $25k per year scholly, so there's that!

(Also very excited for Friday's ASD!)

ktc88

Postby ktc88 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:24 pm

Yup just figured my work out so I'll be there this Friday...

Speaking of work I think discovering this website has significantly lowered my productivity...

By the way, anyone else find it an odd time for them to have the open house? Or is the middle of the day on Friday normal for schools?

Not very nice for people who work full time....

And is anyone from out of town actually traveling to get here for it?

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:32 pm

ktc88 wrote:Yup just figured my work out so I'll be there this Friday...

Speaking of work I think discovering this website has significantly lowered my productivity...

By the way, anyone else find it an odd time for them to have the open house? Or is the middle of the day on Friday normal for schools?

At this rate, I'll be lucky if TLS doesn't get me fired.

From what I've seen and heard in the past, DU likes to throw down for food, etc at their events, so I think the middle of the day to early evening schedule makes sense. Plus, it works out better for everyone to go have drinks after!

ktc88

Postby ktc88 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:36 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:

From what I've seen and heard in the past, DU likes to throw down for food, etc at their events, so I think the middle of the day to early evening schedule makes sense. Plus, it works out better for everyone to go have drinks after!

That makes sense - although I'll just be going back to work at the end =/.

By the way, to anyone like me who is still waiting to hear about $$, I emailed Monday night and received a prompt response this morning, she said that funding is limited but that "we expect some funding may be available shortly," and that they marked my app for consideration. I'm guessing alot of money will get put back into the pool as the April 1 deadline for other schools comes closer.

Moral of the story, its good to email them b/c it seems like they'll put you before those who don't ask, and there is still a decent shot to get a scholly...

I'm hoping that with my 160 / 3.48 I'll get at least something, I need at least 10k to make this possible...

Judging by all the people with lower stats on LSN who got schollys I've got my fingers crossed!

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:32 pm

I'm coming in from Austin, TX. Anyone flying in from further..?

ash8309

Postby ash8309 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:59 pm

Found out that I didn't get the Chancellor but got offered 20K per year. However, I have a 27/year offer at similar ranked school. Is DU open to negotiating?

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:06 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:I'm coming in from Austin, TX. Anyone flying in from further..?

From Michigan!

No chancellor, but Colorado as a place to live for a while sounds sweet.

Any person who has been/lived to/at Denver/Colorado - care to rate it 1-10?

Maury Levy

Postby Maury Levy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:17 am

ktc88 wrote:

That makes sense - although I'll just be going back to work at the end =/.

By the way, to anyone like me who is still waiting to hear about $$, I emailed Monday night and received a prompt response this morning, she said that funding is limited but that "we expect some funding may be available shortly," and that they marked my app for consideration. I'm guessing alot of money will get put back into the pool as the April 1 deadline for other schools comes closer.

Moral of the story, its good to email them b/c it seems like they'll put you before those who don't ask, and there is still a decent shot to get a scholly...

I'm hoping that with my 160 / 3.48 I'll get at least something, I need at least 10k to make this possible...

Judging by all the people with lower stats on LSN who got schollys I've got my fingers crossed!

164/3.47 ... nothing thus far, so who knows. I'm quite baffled, to be honest, since CU offered me a bit of money. :shock:

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:24 am

ash8309 wrote:Found out that I didn't get the Chancellor but got offered 20K per year. However, I have a 27/year offer at similar ranked school. Is DU open to negotiating?

$25k is their max... And I asked for reconsideration about 6 weeks ago, and haven't heard back yet. I was told not to be optimistic though, as they don't often raise offers.

lfp

Postby lfp » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:48 am

chrisbru wrote:
ash8309 wrote:Found out that I didn't get the Chancellor but got offered 20K per year. However, I have a 27/year offer at similar ranked school. Is DU open to negotiating?

$25k is their max... And I asked for reconsideration about 6 weeks ago, and haven't heard back yet. I was told not to be optimistic though, as they don't often raise offers.

In no way am I speaking with actual knowledge, but I imagine a lot people who were offered $20-$25K scholarships will commit elsewhere, freeing up that $$ to go to... well, you!

And to reiterate, a warm thanks for everyone's kind thanks, and several :( :( :( for apaint and fundamental for those emails yesterday afternoon. Hopefully you'll still be my classmates? Looks like I'm for sure going to DU now.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:30 am

lfp wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

In no way am I speaking with actual knowledge, but I imagine a lot people who were offered $20-$25K scholarships will commit elsewhere, freeing up that $$ to go to... well, you!

And to reiterate, a warm thanks for everyone's kind thanks, and several :( :( :( for apaint and fundamental for those emails yesterday afternoon. Hopefully you'll still be my classmates? Looks like I'm for sure going to DU now.

Oh totally - I'm a definite in for DU, I'm just waiting to put down my seat deposit until next week. On reflection, not getting the Chancellor's is actually a good thing for me. I have a ton of varied, unique WE (~15 years - I'm an old dude at this point for law school), and a pretty much ready-made book of business to present during OCI or after school (or even to go solo/small partner with) and tons of contacts in the Denver legal market. PI, while it sounds really good in the idealistic part of my brain, probably isn't the most reasonable, responsible choice for me to make!

ktc88

Postby ktc88 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:47 am

Anyone have their flyer handy about the open house this Friday?

Had to leave this morning in a rush and forgot it....I need the number or email on there to RSVP. Is it just the number for admissions office?

Daniel Joseph

Postby Daniel Joseph » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:59 am

ktc88 wrote:Anyone have their flyer handy about the open house this Friday?

Had to leave this morning in a rush and forgot it....I need the number or email on there to RSVP. Is it just the number for admissions office?

http://law.du.edu/forms/admissions/open-house.cfm

ktc88

Postby ktc88 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:21 pm

Daniel Joseph wrote:
ktc88 wrote:Anyone have their flyer handy about the open house this Friday?

http://law.du.edu/forms/admissions/open-house.cfm

Thanks...for makin me feel like a dumbass hahaha.

No but admissions events and admitted applicants did nothing for me on the website.

ash8309

Postby ash8309 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:02 pm

chrisbru wrote:

Just tried to call admissions office and financial aid office -- what's the best strategy for negotiating scholly $$? Email/letter to whom? Thank you!

seaboot

Postby seaboot » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:07 pm

Has anyone received their official financial aid package from DU yet?

PS: Hope everyone going to ASD has a good experience. I can't make it but I was able check out Denver for a few days last week and tour/talk with the good folks at DU. I think I'm pretty sold...

lfp

Postby lfp » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:10 pm

seaboot wrote:Has anyone received their official financial aid package from DU yet?

PS: Hope everyone going to ASD has a good experience. I can't make it but I was able check out Denver for a few days last week and tour/talk with the good folks at DU. I think I'm pretty sold...

What sold you? I can't make the ASD either, but Denver's almost a lock unless they make me want to run away screaming. What sealed it for you?

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:20 pm

lfp wrote:
seaboot wrote:Has anyone received their official financial aid package from DU yet?

What sold you? I can't make the ASD either, but Denver's almost a lock unless they make me want to run away screaming. What sealed it for you?

Also interested - I'll post my reaction after ASD.

So just to confirm, we're meeting 15min after to hit the bar. At the lawn/quad thing in front of the law school.

...my bud is a 2L and I'll try and bring him along. He'd also be awesome for questions - he's a down to earth guy.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:44 pm

Adrian Yale wrote:
lfp wrote:

So just to confirm, we're meeting 15min after to hit the bar. At the lawn/quad thing in front of the law school.

...my bud is a 2L and I'll try and bring him along. He'd also be awesome for questions - he's a down to earth guy.

That's the plan. Right outside the Ricketson Law Building (where the Open House is) there's an oval shaped garden with the points of the compass. If you go on google maps and type in Sturm College of Law, then zoom in, you'll see it.

Come one, come all, come 2Ls as well!

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:48 pm

Adrian Yale wrote:
lfp wrote:

That's the plan. Right outside the Ricketson Law Building (where the Open House is) there's an oval shaped garden with the points of the compass. If you go on google maps and type in Sturm College of Law, then zoom in, you'll see it.

Come one, come all, come 2Ls as well!

Will be there and will do best to run up a big bar tab and be collegial. Also wouldn't mind asking your 2L bud about job placement because the 2009 DU report is scary. Only 52% from 2009 were working as full time attorneys nine months out.

I guess we can convince ourselves that a good chunk of the 48% were self selecting out of that pool?

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:24 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:Will be there and will do best to run up a big bar tab and be collegial. Also wouldn't mind asking your 2L bud about job placement because the 2009 DU report is scary. Only 52% from 2009 were working as full time attorneys nine months out.

I guess we can convince ourselves that a good chunk of the 48% were self selecting out of that pool?

Careful with the big bar tabs - flatlanders tend to forget that they're drinking at altitude, even in Denver. one beer here is going to hit you like 1 1/2 to 2 beers at sea level. Unless, of course, you live here, have the extra red blood cells, and your liver is accustomed to filtering out all that good stuff. (Us Denverites, we're kinda like Superman in that way.)

Also, I would move that we avoid talk of the economy. We're here to learn about DU and get/stay excited for lawl school, not to worry about what might be 3 1/2 years from now.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:44 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:Will be there and will do best to run up a big bar tab and be collegial. Also wouldn't mind asking your 2L bud about job placement because the 2009 DU report is scary. Only 52% from 2009 were working as full time attorneys nine months out.

Careful with the big bar tabs - flatlanders tend to forget that they're drinking at altitude, even in Denver. one beer here is going to hit you like 1 1/2 to 2 beers at sea level. Unless, of course, you live here, have the extra red blood cells, and your liver is accustomed to filtering out all that good stuff. (Us Denverites, we're kinda like Superman in that way.)

Also, I would move that we avoid talk of the economy. We're here to learn about DU and get/stay excited for lawl school, not to worry about what might be 3 1/2 years from now.

In the interest of the group and a good time I can certainly avoid it during that weekend. I just hope everyone will objectively considered it at one time or another.

LawyersGunsAndMoney

Postby LawyersGunsAndMoney » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:25 pm

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Last edited by LawyersGunsAndMoney on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:45 pm

LawyersGunsAndMoney wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:

In the interest of the group and a good time I can certainly avoid it during that weekend. I just hope everyone will objectively considered it at one time or another.

I think this is something that should definitely be addressed. I know it is playing a role in my decision making.

Oh ffs. I had a long response to this, but the internet ate it.

I'll try to respond in full later - I agree it should be addressed, but the answer everyone will come up will be different depending on each person. 2014 != 2009, for better or worse. The decision shouldn't rest entirely (and arguably even significantly) on employment statistics that will be five years old when you graduate. It should rest on how much risk you're willing to take, and what you're willing to do to make things work.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:36 pm

Oh ffs. I had a long response to this, but the internet ate it.

I'll try to respond in full later - I agree it should be addressed, but the answer everyone will come up will be different depending on each person. 2014 != 2009, for better or worse. The decision shouldn't rest entirely (and arguably even significantly) on employment statistics that will be five years old when you graduate. It should rest on how much risk you're willing to take, and what you're willing to do to make things work.

Agree, I don't think anyone wants to mix gloomy economic reports with heavy drinking. Plus, on a totally unrelated note, anyone know approximate cab fare from the airport to campus? I'm staying at La Quinta 2 blocks east of campus, and am debating whether or not to rent a car.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”