In at Denver...

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fundamentallybroken

Re: In at Denver...

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:26 pm

greyfoxhound2985 wrote:
lfp wrote:Who's up for rekindling a Chancellor Scholarship freak out? Apparently we are to hear sometime by the end of March... are we thinking there's an interview before this, or is it purely based off of the scholarship application?

If there were interviews they would have let us know by now. I think the decision goes purely off of the application. I'm hoping to hear by next week though, they said by no later than the end of the month, though it looks like a lot of people applied to it so that could make the wait longer.

I'm finding more and more: when in doubt, just ask! I emailed admissions earlier - there are no interviews for the Chancellor scholly, just the application. No word on timeline for notices, but that's because I didn't ask (e-mail said end of March, and it's not the end of March.)

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:47 pm

Million dollar question. What is everyone wearing to ASW? Is Denver laid back enough where I can show up in jeans and a polo?

seaboot

Postby seaboot » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:00 pm

typ3 wrote:Million dollar question. What is everyone wearing to ASW? Is Denver laid back enough where I can show up in jeans and a polo?

Can't make ASW, so I spent a few hours at DU today. I met with the assistant admissions director and she talked about how you can almost always get away with jeans in Denver and talked about 'flip-flop' wearing law students. They seemed to be really stressing the more relaxed environment.

I know there has been a lot of debate about this, but after spending some time at DU today with a 3L and talking with their admissions staff, I feel pretty good about DU w/$$ over CU (though, CU WL'ed me in person today post-tour so I may be biased).

Hope you all enjoy ASW

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:03 am

seaboot wrote:
typ3 wrote:Million dollar question. What is everyone wearing to ASW? Is Denver laid back enough where I can show up in jeans and a polo?

Can't make ASW, so I spent a few hours at DU today. I met with the assistant admissions director and she talked about how you can almost always get away with jeans in Denver and talked about 'flip-flop' wearing law students. They seemed to be really stressing the more relaxed environment.

I know there has been a lot of debate about this, but after spending some time at DU today with a 3L and talking with their admissions staff, I feel pretty good about DU w/$$ over CU (though, CU WL'ed me in person today post-tour so I may be biased).

Hope you all enjoy ASW

WL'd in person, AT a tour? That's just cold.

I don't know if I'll go jeans, but depending on the weather may go cords and a button down.

seaboot

Postby seaboot » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:12 am

Yeah, receiving not so good news in person after a lackluster tour at 8:15am was sort of a crumby start to a day. In their defense, I did ask (not expecting an answer, of course). Nice people in the admissions office though.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:47 am

seaboot wrote:Yeah, receiving not so good news in person after a lackluster tour at 8:15am was sort of a crumby start to a day. In their defense, I did ask (not expecting an answer, of course). Nice people in the admissions office though.

This would have been a great situation for a BA moment if you then would have pulled out your acceptance letter to Yale.

I'm sure they would just shrug it off and say it was for yield protection.

Or you could do what Old Hippie does and body slam the adcom bullies ;)

Pretty Lights

Postby Pretty Lights » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:25 pm

IamAskier, in regards you your girlfriend waiting a year for in-state tuition - two of my cousins who moved to colorado said they had trouble getting in-state tuition. One is going to school at colorado state and the other is going to school at western state in gunnison. I think they had to wait 2 plus years before they were considered residents. Not totally sure about the details, but neither could get residency after just one year.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:44 pm

Pretty Lights wrote:IamAskier, in regards you your girlfriend waiting a year for in-state tuition - two of my cousins who moved to colorado said they had trouble getting in-state tuition. One is going to school at colorado state and the other is going to school at western state in gunnison. I think they had to wait 2 plus years before they were considered residents. Not totally sure about the details, but neither could get residency after just one year.

Are they still in undergrad? It is a general consensus that it is easy to gain residency in Colorado if you are over the age of 21 or are in a graduate degree program.

Being under 21 and still in undergrad is likely a no dice situation unless you can show a year's worth of employment in the state and a year of having been registered to vote there etc.

ktc88

Postby ktc88 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:25 pm

ASW is next Friday, March 25 no? I've been admitted but haven't received any email about this yet....anyone have more info, time / place? Or are you guys referring to orientation?

Anyway regarding attire, I live in Denver, and jeans is fine. I'll probably be wearing a t-shirt, or a polo if I'm coming from work.

Also I've heard alot of you guys talking about what bars / restaurants to go to....there are a ton of good ones. I'm not as familiar with the area directly surrounding DU as I'm more used to going to downtown or LODO. However cherry creek is reasonably close to DU and cherry cricket is a great places to go for burgers / beers. Can't speak about the lightrail since I drive but I've heard it is one of the best public transportation systems in the country.

Any questions you guys have about Denver I might be able to answer just let me know.
Last edited by ktc88 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:12 pm

Posted this on the CU thread and it didn't get any love:

Can we trust the employment numbers on USNEWS? I knew before they were bogus but the questions they make the schools fill out seem so much more airtight now.. They respond with data at graduation and nine months out about the class of 2009, and if you have paid the 10 bucks or whatever to USNEWS you can see:

Percent employed, percent unemployed and looking/not looking, where employed, what type of job -- IE JD preferred/JD required/non-professional, percent in private sector reporting salary, etc etc etc.

It would seem very difficult to answer these questions in a misleading way.

Some of the schools I'm considering look pretty rosy actually. UTK stands out for me.

However, the two Colorado schools don't either A. do as well or B. report as well.

By my calculations, only 28% at DU, or 96 grads, could have or did make their median salaries of 55k,71k,110k.
Only 41% of CU grads, or 67 students, could have or did make their median salaries of 60k,95k,120k.

This of course makes the assumption that those who choose not to report their salaries do not have respectable salaries. This is a common assumption on TLS. I also had to make a few guesses as to who self-selected out of private work, which is the only type of work they gathered the employment data above from. For example, at CU it seemed that lots of people selected clerkship's (25%). I made the assumption that all 25% could have worked for a private firm had they gone that route, and that is a big part of the reason CU outperforms DU for 2009.

Both schools didn't fare well overall though.

Also whats with CU having the highest number of "unemployed but not seeking" vs all other schools in the country? (18% of grads).

Another interesting caveat was that DU sent 20% of its class out of state while CU only sent 13%-- I suppose this is because CU has a higher proportion of Colorado students to begin with.

Pretty Lights

Postby Pretty Lights » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:47 pm

University of Denver
Sturm College of Law
Admitted Student Open House

Friday, March 25th, 2011
2:30 pm - 7:00 pm
Ricketson Law Building

Schedule of Events
2:30 pm - 3:00 pm Registration and Introductions
3:00 pm - 3:45 pm Student Panel
3:45 pm - 4:30 pm Faculty Panel
4:30 pm - 5:00 pm Building Tour
5:00 pm - 6:00 pm Academic Specialty Meetings
6:00 pm - 7:00 pm Reception

Class Visits

We have a limited number of class visits available on a first-come first-served basis. Fill out the online registration form to indicate that you are interested in setting up a class visit, and an Office of Admissions staff member will get in touch with you with more details.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:50 pm

Re: Acceptable dress for ASD - email from admissions on Friday specifically said that dress is casual. Jeans it is!

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:31 pm

Anyone heard back on confirmations for class visits?

Daniel Joseph

Postby Daniel Joseph » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:04 pm

I received my class visit confirmation (3/25 9am con law) by email on Friday afternoon.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:06 pm

Just withdrew with a 20K per year scholly.

Hard decision, but I wanted to be fair to other applicants and decided there would be other schools I would be happier at at this point.

Hopefully that opens up a spot or some $$ for one of the TLS folks here.

Omega10

Postby Omega10 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:04 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
greyfoxhound2985 wrote:
lfp wrote:Who's up for rekindling a Chancellor Scholarship freak out? Apparently we are to hear sometime by the end of March... are we thinking there's an interview before this, or is it purely based off of the scholarship application?

If there were interviews they would have let us know by now. I think the decision goes purely off of the application. I'm hoping to hear by next week though, they said by no later than the end of the month, though it looks like a lot of people applied to it so that could make the wait longer.

I'm finding more and more: when in doubt, just ask! I emailed admissions earlier - there are no interviews for the Chancellor scholly, just the application. No word on timeline for notices, but that's because I didn't ask (e-mail said end of March, and it's not the end of March.)

Anyone up for a little wager?? Who thinks we'll be notified about the Chancellor Scholarship before Admitted Students Day? After?

I know the email I received said they would make their decision by the end of March, at the latest. Sometimes folks cushion their timeline so they can look good when they beat the estimated deadline. Other times it seems they wait until the last minute, if only to make you sweat...

Personally I would love to hear before Friday! Honestly, it doesn't matter much, but can you tell I'm battling my own impatience? :|

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:15 pm

Omega10 wrote:
greyfoxhound2985 wrote:

Anyone up for a little wager?? Who thinks we'll be notified about the Chancellor Scholarship before Admitted Students Day? After?

I know the email I received said they would make their decision by the end of March, at the latest. Sometimes folks cushion their timeline so they can look good when they beat the estimated deadline. Other times it seems they wait until the last minute, if only to make you sweat...

Personally I would love to hear before Friday! Honestly, it doesn't matter much, but can you tell I'm battling my own impatience? :|

I say after - people who don't get it then will still be tempted to attend if they had a great time at ASD. If you notify before, all those who don't get it will be thinking "Do I really want to go here?"

lfp

Postby lfp » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:18 pm

Omega10 wrote:
greyfoxhound2985 wrote:

You know, financially speaking it would be so much better for them if they notify before ASD; Chancellor Scholars are definitely the sorts of people who are weighing other offers, and they are going to need to check out the school. And the school will want them enough that a stipend seems likely. Help send them to ASD or deal with all the emails and calls from accepted Scholars about travel stipends to squeeze in a trip to Denver before deposit deadlines? I'd go with ASD.

That being said, I can't come to ASD, so if I get the Chancellor I'm still hoping that they'll offer something to help me travel out to Colorado!

Omega10

Postby Omega10 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:08 pm

I can definitely see both points of view. For some people, the Chancellor could make or break their decision to enroll. If they lure everyone in with a fantastic ASD, they may be able to sway those Chancellor applicants to send in their seat deposit, even without the full-tuition award. On the other hand, if they let us know beforehand, the non-recipients will approach ASD with a more critical eye, or may write off DU altogether in favor of better offers at other schools.

DU is definitely still on my list, regardless of whether or not I receive the Chancellor, but the Chancellor would more or less seal the deal for me.

ktc88

Postby ktc88 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:42 pm

Quick question:

I am drafting a letter inquiring about the possibility of a merit scholarship. Where is the best place to send this email?

On the website I found:
Office of Financial Aid: finaid@du.edu
Lacy McFall, Financial Management Counselor: lmcfall@law.du.edu
And of course admissions: admissions@law.du.edu

As I'm sure they're pretty close to running out of money I want to send it to the right place to expedite their consideration of me.

I applied late in the cycle, app was complete 03/09. However, they admitted me 03/15, which seemed really fast considering this must be a very busy time for them. Maybe they like me enough to give me money? I certain qualify for it, and probably would have received it had I applied early in the cycle. Is it reasonable to assume this is a good sign?

lfp

Postby lfp » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:45 pm

ktc88 wrote:Quick question:

I am drafting a letter inquiring about the possibility of a merit scholarship. Where is the best place to send this email?

On the website I found:

As I'm sure they're pretty close to running out of money I want to send it to the right place to expedite their consideration of me.

I applied late in the cycle, app was complete 03/09. However, they admitted me 03/15, which seemed really fast considering this must be a very busy time for them. Maybe they like me enough to give me money? I certain qualify for it, and probably would have received it had I applied early in the cycle. Is it reasonable to assume this is a good sign?

My merit aid offer was from Lacey McFall. I'd try her, or the office Fin Aid.

ktc88

Postby ktc88 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:05 pm

lfp wrote:

On the website I found:

My merit aid offer was from Lacey McFall. I'd try her, or the office Fin Aid.

Thanks.

Do you guys think is it better to explicitly mention other options I am considering, or instead should I just insinuate that a scholarship offer may be the deciding factor in my decision to attend?

Is it wise to say (truthfully) that I will definitely be attending if offered the right $$?

Any other suggestions or definite NO's about drafting this letter?

Omega10

Postby Omega10 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:08 pm

On the website I found:

I, too, applied very late in the cycle. I was told (by Lacy McFall) that at the time of my acceptance the scholarship committee was "out of funds," but that they flag our applications for consideration when funds free up (people withdraw). So you will likely be offered money if you are patient. Once a lot of deposit deadlines approach (DU's is far later than others') I am sure there will be more merit scholarship money available. Hopefully that is somewhat encouraging, but I'm sure others will have more specific tips on what to include in your letter.

ktc88

Postby ktc88 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:30 pm

Omega10 wrote:Hopefully that is somewhat encouraging, but I'm sure others will have more specific tips on what to include in your letter.

Cool, and thanks.

Yes, if any of you guys have any specific tips I would love to hear them. As a matter of fact, here is the draft I just wrote up:

I'm wondering do I sound too demanding in saying that whether or not they give me money will determine it for me?
Last edited by ktc88 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omega10

Postby Omega10 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:42 pm

ktc88 wrote: I'm wondering do I sound too demanding in saying that whether or not they give me money will determine it for me?

Well I don't think it sounds too demanding, though it may not effect whether they can realistically move you up the scholarship waitlist. You are being honest, just as you will want her to provide an honest assesment of your chances of receiving aid.

Let us know what she says! (Is this an email or snail mail letter?)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”