In at Denver...

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pinkcamellia

Re: In at Denver...

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:58 pm

Hey y'all, it's been 2 weeks and no mention of $$. I think I'm going to withdraw fairly soon, because without any money it would cost too much. Would it be impolite to call and inquire about scholarship money? My numbers should qualify me for at least a little.

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:01 am

I called early last week and the woman I spoke to saw nothing in my file that indicated I was awarded scholarship money. I haven't withdrawn yet...mostly out of laziness but somewhat out of the tiny tiny tiny possibility it's still on the way.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:02 am

pinkcamellia wrote:Hey y'all, it's been 2 weeks and no mention of $$. I think I'm going to withdraw fairly soon, because without any money it would cost too much. Would it be impolite to call and inquire about scholarship money? My numbers should qualify me for at least a little.

I would e-mail.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:11 am

pinkcamellia wrote:Hey y'all, it's been 2 weeks and no mention of $$. I think I'm going to withdraw fairly soon, because without any money it would cost too much. Would it be impolite to call and inquire about scholarship money? My numbers should qualify me for at least a little.

If it's been two weeks your chances are probably slim, but there's no reason not to call or email. Everyone at DU's admissions office is really nice, and they certainly won't mind just checking your file for you.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:26 pm

If you applied late in the cycle just wait it out. If you want to attend then send in your deposit as well to another school. $ always frees up after the seat deposit deadline because many of the top applicants withdraw and attend other schools. For instance, if I received a full at CU I would attend it over DU freeing up roughly 100k for other applicants.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:21 pm

typ3 wrote:

If you applied late in the cycle just wait it out. If you want to attend then send in your deposit as well to another school. $ always frees up after the seat deposit deadline because many of the top applicants withdraw and attend other schools. For instance, if I received a full at CU I would attend it over DU freeing up roughly 100k for other applicants.

I predict you choose DU with the full over CU with the half. It has been written.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:38 pm

So I emailed Lacey McFall in the Financial Office asking "about the possible availability of additional merit aid" and she replied that "increases in merit aid are very uncommon", and that I should proceed assuming no further scholarship money. She was very nice about it though, and offered to talk with me about other options. Maybe their stance will change after the first seat deposit, but right now it seems unlikely.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:09 pm

IamAskier wrote:So I emailed Lacey McFall in the Financial Office asking "about the possible availability of additional merit aid" and she replied that "increases in merit aid are very uncommon", and that I should proceed assuming no further scholarship money. She was very nice about it though, and offered to talk with me about other options. Maybe their stance will change after the first seat deposit, but right now it seems unlikely.

Did you say with the increased aid that you would withdraw everywhere else? If I was Lacey, I would care about that. "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." -awesome commercial I just saw

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:28 pm

So I think we need to figure out who is going out around ASD. I'll be there from Wed-Sun morning. Going out on Friday is a must.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:43 pm

Adrian Yale wrote:So I think we need to figure out who is going out around ASD. I'll be there from Wed-Sun morning. Going out on Friday is a must.

I'll be there and definitely want to go out on Friday. I think really all we need is to decide on a place, and everyone can meet up there after ASD. Not sure how we will know who is who, but I suppose we can always make nametags (because how much fun will it be to wear a nametag that says "Hello, I'm Fundamentally Broken.")

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:59 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
Adrian Yale wrote:So I think we need to figure out who is going out around ASD. I'll be there from Wed-Sun morning. Going out on Friday is a must.

I'll be there and definitely want to go out on Friday. I think really all we need is to decide on a place, and everyone can meet up there after ASD. Not sure how we will know who is who, but I suppose we can always make nametags (because how much fun will it be to wear a nametag that says "Hello, I'm Fundamentally Broken.")

This may cause TLSers to start changing their names. Hello, I'm Seymore Butts.

So my bro just got back from Grenada where they were doing dental work for kids. He and the other dental students wore duct tape name tags. Just a clue as to how frugal we might have to be as grad students.

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:03 pm

As for a place to go, is anyone familiar with the area?

I'd also love to hit lodo and have a 2L bud there... maybe he can show us the way/give info.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:18 pm

Adrian Yale wrote:As for a place to go, is anyone familiar with the area?

I'd also love to hit lodo and have a 2L bud there... maybe he can show us the way/give info.

There's a few options, and really depends on if we stay near DU or jump on the train to downtown. I'll work up some lists and post later today/this week.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:20 pm

There's a few options, and really depends on if we stay near DU or jump on the train to downtown. I'll work up some lists and post later today/this week.

My vote is for things in the cherry creek area. There are a lot of decent mid priced restaurants and bars and it isn't too far from DU.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:28 pm

typ3 wrote:

My vote is for things in the cherry creek area. There are a lot of decent mid priced restaurants and bars and it isn't too far from DU.

It's kinda hard for people that don't have cars though. The busses run that way, but not reliably after peak work hours. Of course, I'd be willing to carpool with people though - the Cherry Cricket is a pretty fun place. Another idea, if people are willing to travel away from DU or downtown, is Vine Street Pub on 17th and Vine. They have excellent handcrafted beers, cheap food, and a fun crowd.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:03 pm

+1 to duck tape name tags

... Nobody here is actually a serial killer posing as a law student just to drawing unsuspecting TLSers into their white van with promises candy after ASD right? haha One always runs risks when meeting anonymous internet acquaintances, but I trust you guys.

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:31 pm

Yes.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to be a dd though...

IamAskier wrote:+1 to duck tape name tags

... Nobody here is actually a serial killer posing as a law student just to drawing unsuspecting TLSers into their white van with promises candy after ASD right? haha One always runs risks when meeting anonymous internet acquaintances, but I trust you guys.

I wonder what kind of candy would actually attract law students haha.

I did buy a mtn bike from a guy on craigslist yesterday, and I had my knife with me. Granted, i was close to Detroit.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:50 pm

Adrian Yale wrote:+1 to duck tape name tags

I did buy a mtn bike erotic massage from a guy on craigslist yesterday, and I had my knife with me. Granted, i was close to Detroit.

Fixed it for you.

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:05 pm

typ3 wrote:

I bought a mtn bike erotic massage from Natalie Portman on craigslist yesterday.

Fixed it for you.

Yes, law school will be fun. Maybe we should get back on topic.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:17 am

Adrian Yale wrote:
typ3 wrote:

I bought a mtn bike erotic massage from Natalie Portman on craigslist yesterday.

Fixed it for you.

Hmm - gentle, yet slightly condescending. I look forward to being your classmate Adrian!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:42 am

Adrian Yale wrote:
typ3 wrote:

Fixed it for you.

Hmm - gentle, yet slightly condescending. I look forward to being your classmate Adrian!

No one wants to be my classmate I guess.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:49 am

typ3 wrote:No one wants to be my classmate I guess.

Not true typ, not true at all. I have a feeling everyone in the TLS group is going to get along fine, and have some pretty great discussions in school!

Of course, at this point I'm thinking the priority should just be making plans to meet at ASD, and the more important post-ASD happy hour.

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:23 pm

I bought a mtn bike erotic massage from Natalie Portman on craigslist yesterday.[/quote]

Fixed it for you.[/quote]

Yes, law school will be fun. Maybe we should get back on topic.[/quote]

Hmm - gentle, yet slightly condescending. I look forward to being your classmate Adrian![/quote]

No one wants to be my classmate I guess.[/quote]

Dont worry that Fundamentallybroken doesnt like you (jk) - we'll all head into the mountains to sing kumbaya. I know we have snowboarders, but are there any mountainbikers here?

Adrian Yale wrote:
typ3 wrote:

Fixed it for you.

Haha! Likewise! - I just didnt think the board should keep heading down the avenue of erotic massages given by some guy in Detroit. You know where that could go.

So what do you recommend? Lodo? Near DU? Vine Street Pub? Cherry Cricket? Drink on top of a mountain? Actually, drinking on top of a mountain would be badassssssssssss. Imagine the philosophical discussions!

apaint

Postby apaint » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:27 pm

anyone heard anything about chancellor scholarships???

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:30 pm

apaint wrote:anyone heard anything about chancellor scholarships???

...we should in late march. Funny to think that we thought the waiting game was over after acceptances.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”