In at Denver...

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
edgnarly

Re: In at Denver...

Postby edgnarly » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:00 pm

When did you guys that have received decisions submit?

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:21 pm

edgnarly wrote:When did you guys that have received decisions submit?

Dec 7th, I think.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:06 am

edgnarly wrote:When did you guys that have received decisions submit?

2/18

ktc88

Postby ktc88 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:39 pm

Can anyone answer a question for me?

I finally got my final LORs processed yesterday, March 1, in time for the "priority" deadline or whatever they have.

On my LSAC account it says they have not been sent to the school, but when I check my application status with DU I can see them. But it still says application incomplete.

Basically I can't tell if they have them yet or not -- worth emailing DU, or would I just be annoying them?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:45 pm

ktc88 wrote:Can anyone answer a question for me?

I finally got my final LORs processed yesterday, March 1, in time for the "priority" deadline or whatever they have.

On my LSAC account it says they have not been sent to the school, but when I check my application status with DU I can see them. But it still says application incomplete.

Basically I can't tell if they have them yet or not -- worth emailing DU, or would I just be annoying them?

Annoying them. Sometimes it takes a few days for them to process stuff. They have a ton of applicants to get through so they likely aren't going to cater to you. Just be patient.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:57 pm

I always wonder what the balance is between annoying them and showing interest. Acceptance rates are part of USNWR and schools like Denver get a lot of apps (3,000 last year I think). A huge part of all this is deciding how interested you are in attending, and how little $ they can give you in order to secure your attendance.

The other schools recruiting me are calling and saying "what would it take to get you to come to ####?" They want to get me with the least, have me withdraw everywhere else, and move on to the next person on the list. I would be doing the same thing if I were them. I cannot imagine how stressful it is in early April when their medians could swing a few points depending on how they finish up.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:20 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:I always wonder what the balance is between annoying them and showing interest. Acceptance rates are part of USNWR and schools like Denver get a lot of apps (3,000 last year I think). A huge part of all this is deciding how interested you are in attending, and how little $ they can give you in order to secure your attendance.

The other schools recruiting me are calling and saying "what would it take to get you to come to ####?" They want to get me with the least, have me withdraw everywhere else, and move on to the next person on the list. I would be doing the same thing if I were them. I cannot imagine how stressful it is in early April when their medians could swing a few points depending on how they finish up.

Does this mean that I should negotiate my full to a full + living stipend? I considered it today. I wonder how well that would work. I could ask but then I would probably look like a huge tool.

kent99

Postby kent99 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:57 pm

you got a full ride to DU? Thought 25,000 was their top.

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:00 pm

kent99 wrote:you got a full ride to DU? Thought 25,000 was their top.

They have other scholarships for URMs and individuals with other special circumstances, so I'd assume that's how he got a full. For all of us non-URMs 25k is their top.

lfp

Postby lfp » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:07 pm

Anyone know if DU offers - or would be willing to offer - travel stipends?

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:33 pm

lfp wrote:Anyone know if DU offers - or would be willing to offer - travel stipends?

They offered to pay for 2 nights stay in a hotel for ASD. I had to write a paragraph to the Committee explain why I was requesting assistance. Basically just said that a lot of the schools I've been accepted to had their ASD the same weekend and other schools were offering to pay up to $300 and a night in a hotel, and since I am broke I'll probably attend the one that helps me out the most. I honestly wanted to go to Denver the most and they approved the request, so I'll be attending ASD!

I should also mention that this was approved either in January or early February, so they may have run out of funds by now.

bsm909

Postby bsm909 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:53 pm

Just turned down my acceptance offer and 20k scholarship offer and putting it back into the pot for someone out here waiting! Best of luck to you all.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:13 pm

I know this has been asked, but where is everyone staying for ASD?

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:58 pm

IamAskier wrote:I know this has been asked, but where is everyone staying for ASD?

I'm staying at the Burnsley.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:37 pm

Also, anyone been successful at negotiating more $$ now that people are starting to withdraw? I was thinking of sending an email probing them about an increased scholly.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:52 pm

IamAskier wrote:Also, anyone been successful at negotiating more $$ now that people are starting to withdraw? I was thinking of sending an email probing them about an increased scholly.

Depends on what your amount is. You won't get past the 25k per year unless you get a chancellor or are a URM

lfp

Postby lfp » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:55 pm

Anyone else out there awaiting Chancellor notification? I do believe we'll hear in March sometime... are there interviews before the decision, or is it purely you're in/you're out?

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:15 pm

lfp wrote:Anyone else out there awaiting Chancellor notification? I do believe we'll hear in March sometime... are there interviews before the decision, or is it purely you're in/you're out?

Can't say for sure, but the way I understand it is that finalists will hear in March, then there will be interviews/talent shows/swimsuit contests/contests of strength, etc.

At least, that's what my letter said.

ash8309

Postby ash8309 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:32 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
lfp wrote:Anyone else out there awaiting Chancellor notification? I do believe we'll hear in March sometime... are there interviews before the decision, or is it purely you're in/you're out?

Can't say for sure, but the way I understand it is that finalists will hear in March, then there will be interviews/talent shows/swimsuit contests/contests of strength, etc.

Haha. F. I'm going to fail that part. I applied and just heard that they will try to finalize "no later than end of March." Good luck to everyone, and post if you hear anything!

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:50 pm

ash8309 wrote:

Haha. F. I'm going to fail that part. I applied and just heard that they will try to finalize "no later than end of March." Good luck to everyone, and post if you hear anything!

I admit, sometimes I may read a bit too much into things. They say:
The Scholarship Review Committee will begin meeting to review scholarship applications at the end of February. I expect that we’ll be able to send out decisions for the Chancellor Scholarship by no later than the end of March.

I read:
Better get your bikini body ready and start working on those delts because buying new shoes for children who may or may not be orphans just won't cut it this go around!

Law school is going to be fun.

seaboot

Postby seaboot » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:23 pm

Accepted in January, going to be in Denver to check out the school next week because I can't make the official ASD.

Anyone else in a similar position/already toured and met with folks from admissions?

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:50 pm

ash8309 wrote:

I admit, sometimes I may read a bit too much into things. They say:
The Scholarship Review Committee will begin meeting to review scholarship applications at the end of February. I expect that we’ll be able to send out decisions for the Chancellor Scholarship by no later than the end of March.

I read:
Better get your bikini body ready and start working on those delts because buying new shoes for children who may or may not be orphans just won't cut it this go around!

Law school is going to be fun.

I can't wait.

Anyone else definitely headed to DU? If so, what are you doing about housing?

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:53 pm

Adrian Yale wrote:I can't wait.

Anyone else definitely headed to DU? If so, what are you doing about housing?

I'm close to 90% certain, just waiting to see if I get any considerable scholly money from CU (which is kinda unlikely, seeing what others are getting).

Unfortunately, I'm not much help for housing advice - I have a mortgage I get to try and pay while I'm in school! But, Capitol Hill is always a good source of cheap rents for students.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:01 pm

I've found some good places within walking distance that were listed on DU's off campus housing page. Ok looking 1 bedrooms with studies for around $600 a month. I'm about 85% sure I'm headed to Denver, so I'll be looking for housing as well.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:35 pm

Likely getting a house / townhouse.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”