In at Denver...

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
typ3

Re: In at Denver...

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:41 pm

drummerboy wrote:thanks guys. i want to stay in fl my entire family is there.

Well that's a no brainer then. Go to FIU or Stetson.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:01 pm

typ3 wrote:
drummerboy wrote:thanks guys. i want to stay in fl my entire family is there.

Well that's a no brainer then. Go to FIU or Stetson.

Go to Stetson. It's a great school.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:02 pm

definitely not fiu i agree with tls on this one.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:03 pm

stetson is great i hear that all the time but what about the shitty ranking. everytime i make a decision im derailed by the ranking issue

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:14 pm

drummerboy wrote:stetson is great i hear that all the time but what about the shitty ranking. everytime i make a decision im derailed by the ranking issue

Do you care about a school's ranking or being by your family. Rankings aren't everything.

Case and point Iowa vs Colorado.

Colorado has a higher average LSAT score and the average median earnings of graduates are about 7,500 more but it is ranked considerably lower. Tour the schools and talk to career placement imo.

krad

Postby krad » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:25 pm

typ3 wrote: Do you care about a school's ranking or being by your family. Rankings aren't everything.

I have to agree with this one. The rankings are not the be all end all of choosing a school. You need to consider all of the factors! Why go to a higher-ranked school (that's still regional) if you know you want to be in FL and you may very well be unhappy elsewhere? Stetson is well-respected in FL (I'm a FL native with fam that are attorneys in FL). Denver would not give you much of an opportunity to get back to FL.

Ranking, cost, job opportunities, location, etc. are all factors, but you have to weigh them for your individual situation.

The only thing that I would advise is to be careful taking on too much $$$$ in debt at some of these schools.

Good luck fellow Floridian!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:28 pm

krad wrote:
typ3 wrote: Do you care about a school's ranking or being by your family. Rankings aren't everything.

I have to agree with this one. The rankings are not the be all end all of choosing a school. You need to consider all of the factors! Why go to a higher-ranked school (that's still regional) if you know you want to be in FL and you may very well be unhappy elsewhere? Stetson is well-respected in FL (I'm a FL native with fam that are attorneys in FL). Denver would not give you much of an opportunity to get back to FL.

Ranking, cost, job opportunities, location, etc. are all factors, but you have to weigh them for your individual situation.

The only thing that I would advise is to be careful taking on too much $$$$ in debt at some of these schools.

Good luck fellow Floridian!

Krad are you going to attend CU? If so we should hit the slopes sometime this March /April.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:35 pm

Feel encouraged to disagree but both Denver and Stetson don't have major well known sports programs and with 40 % of the rankings being reputation/opinion from judges and lawyers across the country... They can be just as irrational as the rest of us and we are very influenced by the schools we have seen on TV over and over again. Speaking of LSAT medians there are some Big Ten schools that seem very overrated -- Iowa, OSU, Indiana, Wisconsin -- Forget the rankings after the T-14.

Stetson and Denver can get you a job in Tampa/Denver. Do well in that job and you can move somewhere else, or do incredibly well at Stetson/Denver and be one of those outliers who works out of state immediately.

I think you have two good options depending on where you want to work, and assuming you can graduate at median or better. Sounds like you want to be in Florida and that's awesome! I love the Bay area down there. Congrats on Stetson.

krad

Postby krad » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:38 pm

mwarre totally agree.

Typ3 I'm still unsure. I'll PM ya!

mrwarre85 wrote:I love the Bay area down there.

<--- Tampa native :)

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:43 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:Feel encouraged to disagree but both Denver and Stetson don't have major well known sports programs and with 40 % of the rankings being reputation/opinion from judges and lawyers across the country... They can be just as irrational as the rest of us and we are very influenced by the schools we have seen on TV over and over again. Speaking of LSAT medians there are some Big Ten schools that seem very overrated -- Iowa, OSU, Indiana, Wisconsin -- Forget the rankings after the T-14.

Stetson and Denver can get you a job in Tampa/Denver. Do well in that job and you can move somewhere else, or do incredibly well at Stetson/Denver and be one of those outliers who works out of state immediately.

I think you have two good options depending on where you want to work, and assuming you can graduate at median or better. Sounds like you want to be in Florida and that's awesome! I love the Bay area down there. Congrats on Stetson.

Most lawyers in colorado are denver graduates.

This is because DU has a larger class size than CU. It places really well in Denver, no reason to go outside of it. Thus it's career prospects are self limiting. It's sort of like asking how good is U. San Diego law school or Loyola? They're great if you want to stay in San Diego / Chicago, but don't go there if you want national reputation.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:27 pm

Thanks you guys for the encouragement your words make a lot of sense I'm not at all interested in big law so the Stetson plan sounds great I was just held yesterday at fsu in anticipation oft fall transcript has anyone here been asked for fall transcripts from any school thanks again

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:53 am

drummerboy wrote:Thanks you guys for the encouragement your words make a lot of sense I'm not at all interested in big law so the Stetson plan sounds great I was just held yesterday at fsu in anticipation oft fall transcript has anyone here been asked for fall transcripts from any school thanks again

Send your transcript to LSAC to update and they will automatically send it out to schools.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:30 pm

Thanks

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:00 pm

drummerboy wrote:Thanks

FSU sounds like the way to go if you can get in there.. in-state tuition right?

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:18 am

waiting to hear the final word. if i get dinged, ill be attending stetson with a scholly plus savings. ill be withdrawing from miami, way too expensive. a local "lawfirm recruiter" in miami told me that although miami is higher ranked than stetson, the difference is not significant enough to warrant ticket to miami especially if stetson offered a scholly.This guy by the way, attended a top 5 school. got a big law job in nyc, he was worked into burn out. he left law got his mba then came back into law in a smaller firm in miami that has made him very well off. i guess the morale is be careful what you wish for.

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:04 pm

Just withdrew my app. :( I like DU but not for sticker. Good luck to the rest of you.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:11 pm

sabenser wrote:Just withdrew my app. :( I like DU but not for sticker. Good luck to the rest of you.

you didnt get any money :shock:

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:25 pm

gothamm wrote:
sabenser wrote:Just withdrew my app. :( I like DU but not for sticker. Good luck to the rest of you.

you didnt get any money :shock:

Nope :(. No worries though. I've gotten into some other good tax programs.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:25 pm

Did you contact them?

Their scholarship committee doesn't meet every week.

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:22 pm

typ3 wrote:

Did you contact them?

Their scholarship committee doesn't meet every week.

No. With my other offers, it would take more than 25k to compel me to DU and I know that is unlikely.

edgnarly

Postby edgnarly » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:02 pm

How long has it taken for people to get a response? I've been under review since January 24th. This is sort of tedious.

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:25 pm

edgnarly wrote:How long has it taken for people to get a response? I've been under review since January 24th. This is sort of tedious.

They were my slowest school outside the top 25.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:46 pm

edgnarly wrote:How long has it taken for people to get a response? I've been under review since January 24th. This is sort of tedious.

I was accepted 2 days after sending.

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:19 am

Took them 2 weeks to admit me and offer me a scholly.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:12 pm

Beating a dead horse here; it took then about one week to admit me and give me a scholly.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”