In at Denver...

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
irenic

Re: In at Denver...

Postby irenic » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:10 am

It seems I'm not going to get any $ unfortunately. Still really excited about the idea of going to DU. Is there anyone else on these boards who is going w/o a scholarship offer? Thoughts... am I foolish to pay sticker? No debt from undergrad if that makes much difference.

ktc88

Postby ktc88 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:48 am

fundamentallybroken wrote:
ktc88 wrote:Anyone have any ideas about my chances applying so late?

I'm 160 / 3.48. I've been working a full time job since july and only in december really decided i wanted to go to law school. Working 42 hours a week it took me awhile to get everything ready. Only problem is I only just now mailed my 2nd recommendation so they should have it processed early March, the second they process it, I'll send in my application.

But from what I've been reading they have most of their seats filled up in March and they prioritize students who submit by March 1. I'm overnighting the recommendation but still it seems my chances are slim of getting my app in by then. I would have applied earlier, and my professor was prompt with his rec, but it took until now to get my manager at work to do it for me.

I have alot of work experience including a summer internship at a law firm, a strong personal statement i think, and a year abroad in spain during undergraduate school. On the other hand I got into some disciplinary trouble with my undergrad school sophomore year.

I really want to stay in state and think my chances of boulder are slim, its looking like UDenver's my best bet and now I'm worrying I'm too late =(....

Does anyone have knowledge of people getting in this late and what they're stats are?

APPLY NOW!

You can assign your second LOR to the school and submit your application before it comes in. When it does come in and process it, LSAC will forward it along to the school. This way, your application is in before the deadline, and you probably have a better chance of getting in than if you wait until the very last second.

This is great advice. Thank you so much, I didn't know I could do this!

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:20 am

irenic wrote:It seems I'm not going to get any $ unfortunately. Still really excited about the idea of going to DU. Is there anyone else on these boards who is going w/o a scholarship offer? Thoughts... am I foolish to pay sticker? No debt from undergrad if that makes much difference.

I like Denver and my professors think I should go there but I didn't get a scholarship either and there is no way I'm going for full price. I have graduate school debt though so money is a key factor. And with full-rides elsewhere...

krad

Postby krad » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:30 am

sabenser wrote:
irenic wrote:It seems I'm not going to get any $ unfortunately. Still really excited about the idea of going to DU. Is there anyone else on these boards who is going w/o a scholarship offer? Thoughts... am I foolish to pay sticker? No debt from undergrad if that makes much difference.

I like Denver and my professors think I should go there but I didn't get a scholarship either and there is no way I'm going for full price. I have graduate school debt though so money is a key factor. And with full-rides elsewhere...

You didn't get $ with your #'s? :( sorry! I would hold out a bit longer, though. I imagine a number of applicants with $ will withdraw over the next few weeks/month and free up some scholly $. <- Me possibly being one of them (though I do live in Denver so I'm seriously considering it, but probably not over CU).

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:05 pm

krad wrote:
sabenser wrote:

You didn't get $ with your #'s? :( sorry! I would hold out a bit longer, though. I imagine a number of applicants with $ will withdraw over the next few weeks/month and free up some scholly $. <- Me possibly being one of them (though I do live in Denver so I'm seriously considering it, but probably not over CU).

I'm not too worried about it. I just don't want to hold on to my acceptances for forever when other applicants are waiting. Plus, 25k seems like their max award and even that would be my lowest scholly from a private school (except BYU where total COA is only $22088).

Anyway, thanks for the post. But yeah, I'll probably just withdraw soon.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:15 pm

sabenser wrote:

Did you email admissions? This seems like a joke that you didn't qualify for anything. A 157 / 3.3 got money.

mbe01jad

Postby mbe01jad » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:30 pm

typ3 wrote:
sabenser wrote:

Did you email admissions? This seems like a joke that you didn't qualify for anything. A 157 / 3.3 got money.

Not sure I understand the logic behind awards at DU...the numbers seem to be all over the map with respect to LSAT/GPA on lsn.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:42 pm

mbe01jad wrote:
typ3 wrote:
sabenser wrote:

Not sure I understand the logic behind awards at DU...the numbers seem to be all over the map with respect to LSAT/GPA on lsn.

Well you need to understand a few things. First, they are looking to build a diverse class of students. This means they may extend a scholarship to someone with lower stats who is a peace corp volunteer or TFA member, etc. Second, they often extend money early cycle to lower stat people and then the bar gets raised considerably as more applicants send in their stuff.

mbe01jad

Postby mbe01jad » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:13 pm

Not sure I understand the logic behind awards at DU...the numbers seem to be all over the map with respect to LSAT/GPA on lsn.[/quote]

Well you need to understand a few things. First, they are looking to build a diverse class of students. This means they may extend a scholarship to someone with lower stats who is a peace corp volunteer or TFA member, etc. Second, they often extend money early cycle to lower stat people and then the bar gets raised considerably as more applicants send in their stuff.[/quote]

I understand the diversity strategy, but you'd assume they would retain some sort of reserve fund for the late applicants with higher numbers. It's almost a given that late in the cycle applicants that are not satisfied with their options will begin to apply to lower ranked schools.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:38 pm

mbe01jad wrote:Not sure I understand the logic behind awards at DU...the numbers seem to be all over the map with respect to LSAT/GPA on lsn.

Well you need to understand a few things. First, they are looking to build a diverse class of students. This means they may extend a scholarship to someone with lower stats who is a peace corp volunteer or TFA member, etc. Second, they often extend money early cycle to lower stat people and then the bar gets raised considerably as more applicants send in their stuff.

I understand the diversity strategy, but you'd assume they would retain some sort of reserve fund for the late applicants with higher numbers. It's almost a given that late in the cycle applicants that are not satisfied with their options will begin to apply to lower ranked schools.

True, but schools are free to do what they want with $$. I'm sure some of it will be redistributed once people withdraw.

Not to mention crit_racer mentioned last week that scholarship $ is being distributed about a week later than acceptances or more. What is likely is the admissions committee has a lot of files to review on a daily basis this time of the year. So, they will do all scholarships once a week or once every other week instead of at the same time they do acceptances.

I did read on an interview with their adcoms that the scholarship committee runs out of $$ in February, so offers might not be as generous as they once were early cycle.

krad

Postby krad » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:10 pm

Withdrew today, can't see myself attending DU over CU. This should free up $20k for someone :) Good luck to all!

lfp

Postby lfp » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:19 pm

typ3 wrote:
mbe01jad wrote:Not sure I understand the logic behind awards at DU...the numbers seem to be all over the map with respect to LSAT/GPA on lsn.

True, but schools are free to do what they want with $$. I'm sure some of it will be redistributed once people withdraw.

Not to mention crit_racer mentioned last week that scholarship $ is being distributed about a week later than acceptances or more. What is likely is the admissions committee has a lot of files to review on a daily basis this time of the year. So, they will do all scholarships once a week or once every other week instead of at the same time they do acceptances.

I did read on an interview with their adcoms that the scholarship committee runs out of $$ in February, so offers might not be as generous as they once were early cycle.

Personally, I can say that they have $$ in Feb. since I got the $25,000 a year scholarship, and I got the email with scholarship info the same day I was accepted - probably about 8 hours later or so - and this was 2/14. I really think you can't read into the timing, since the committee that awards the scholarships is different than the one that admits you. They are all on their own time schedules.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:10 pm

krad wrote:Withdrew today, can't see myself attending DU over CU. This should free up $20k for someone :) Good luck to all!

haha you posted earlier today that you were still considering it! +2 for mental breakthroughs.

krad

Postby krad » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:11 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
krad wrote:Withdrew today, can't see myself attending DU over CU. This should free up $20k for someone :) Good luck to all!

haha you posted earlier today that you were still considering it! +2 for mental breakthroughs.

Haha yes, I have done a LOT of thinking today/past few days... Plus I got a response that they'd take the scholly stuff to committee but can make no guarantees. <- kind of got my wheels spinning I guess.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:46 pm

sabenser wrote:
I'm not too worried about it. I just don't want to hold on to my acceptances for forever when other applicants are waiting. Plus, 25k seems like their max award and even that would be my lowest scholly from a private school (except BYU where total COA is only $22088).

Anyway, thanks for the post. But yeah, I'll probably just withdraw soon.

If you value the time wasted talking to Mormon missionaries at minimum wage (I think $7.25?), then your total COA at BYU ends up being roughly $173,345.72

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:26 pm

typ3 wrote:
sabenser wrote:

No haven't emailed yet. It seems awkward to email and say, 'Did you forget my award?' They may have just run out of money. I applied 20 Dec so a little late in the game (although I did get an email today from Detroit Mercy Law that it's never too late to apply! ha). I might just give it another week.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:27 pm

sabenser wrote:
typ3 wrote:
sabenser wrote:

No haven't emailed yet. It seems awkward to email and say, 'Did you forget my award?' They may have just run out of money. I applied 20 Dec so a little late in the game (although I did get an email today from Detroit Mercy Law that it's never too late to apply! ha). I might just give it another week.

That certainly wasn't too late in the cycle. I'm surprised you weren't an auto admit, I heard back in two days. Do you have felony convictions or some red flag on your application like academic misconduct, scathing LOR's, a PS written on an etch-a-sketch?

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:37 pm

Meh, I don't know. I'm 10/11 (dang Illinois) on schools outside the top 20 so nothing could be glaringly wrong. The only thing I did different for DU was they asked for a complete listing of publications on the optional essay and that took 3.5 pages (51 motions/speeches on UK public record).

I'm going to head to the movies and hopefully there will be a large award letter from DU in the mailbox when I get back.

Maury Levy

Postby Maury Levy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:22 pm

In via email yesterday. Went complete 1/24. California resident very open to running away from high tuition costs out here. Eagerly waiting on the hard copy in the mail.

Couple follow-ups for someone late to the party:
I saw earlier in the thread a few asked about being reimbursed for visiting. Any word on this?

Also, looking at applying for the Chancellor's Scholly. I need to get in touch with AdComms and see if they'll accept (or merely 'recommend') using my prior LORs, since both are solid work references in the public interest. Anyone have thoughts or experiences to share on this matter?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:53 pm

Maury Levy wrote:In via email yesterday. Went complete 1/24. California resident very open to running away from high tuition costs out here. Eagerly waiting on the hard copy in the mail.

I saw earlier in the thread a few asked about being reimbursed for visiting. Any word on this?

Also, looking at applying for the Chancellor's Scholly. I need to get in touch with AdComms and see if they'll accept (or merely 'recommend') using my prior LORs, since both are solid work references in the public interest. Anyone have thoughts or experiences to share on this matter?

Why would you want to use the ones you were admitted with when every other candidate for it will have two additional ones?

Generally, if you are a scholarship candidate or a URM they will give you a stipend.
Last edited by typ3 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Maury Levy

Postby Maury Levy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:02 pm

typ3 wrote:
Maury Levy wrote:In via email yesterday. Went complete 1/24. California resident very open to running away from high tuition costs out here. Eagerly waiting on the hard copy in the mail.

Why would you want to use the ones you were admitted with when every other candidate for it will have two additional ones?

Perhaps the Chancellor's scholarship committee has different members than the AdComs comittee. Also, the LORs are from solid work references (especially on paper) in my agency. But most importantly, I'm up against the wall here regarding deadline (March 1st), and that might be, not only my best option, but my only option.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:09 pm

krad wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:

Haha yes, I have done a LOT of thinking today/past few days... Plus I got a response that they'd take the scholly stuff to committee but can make no guarantees. <- kind of got my wheels spinning I guess.

Now if only chris would withdraw then they could give me an extra 40k as a skiing stipend. Would it be wrong to show up to classes every day via snowcat? I sure don't think so.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:34 am

Are you guys all attending the ASD?? I haven't decided, but I think I might. I got a very nice phonecall from a professor the other night, which made me feel like I wanted to learn more about the school by attending the ASD.

Also -- do you all feel like you may follow one of DU's concentrations? I don't think my interest lies in any of them, so I'm unsure it that will preclude me from fitting in there.

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:58 am

bananeez wrote:Are you guys all attending the ASD?? I haven't decided, but I think I might. I got a very nice phonecall from a professor the other night, which made me feel like I wanted to learn more about the school by attending the ASD.

Also -- do you all feel like you may follow one of DU's concentrations? I don't think my interest lies in any of them, so I'm unsure it that will preclude me from fitting in there.

I am attending ASD. Have you joined the admitted students facebook group?

I also got the phone call from the professor and it was very nice.

What are your interests? I think DU has some pretty interesting concentrations. I also think that once you're there you'll find something that interests you. I'm also sure that just because they don't have a "concentration" in a specific area of law that you're really interested in, that they still may have some classes offered in those areas.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:25 pm

typ3 wrote:
Now if only chris would withdraw then they could give me an extra 40k as a skiing stipend. Would it be wrong to show up to classes every day via snowcat? I sure don't think so.

I can't QUITE yet... But when I do, I'll make sure to indicate in my withdrawal letter that all funds are to be rerouted to you.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”