In at Denver...

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: In at Denver...

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:42 pm

sabenser wrote:
typ3 wrote:
sabenser wrote:
gothamm wrote:sure. applied jan 17, complete a week after, acceptance e-mail feb 14, scholarship e-mail feb 15


Acceptance email 14 Feb. Got my packet in the mail today. No scholarship info anywhere :(.


It should be coming soon then. You'll get 25k a year with your numbers.


That's what I'm expecting too but haven't seen someone on this thread with such a long delay between acceptance and scholly. Oh well, I'm sure it will come.


I can't imagine you wouldn't get that. If they gave you no money it'd be asinine on their part considering they throw it to people with far worse indexes. gl though.

kent99
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:10 am

Re: In at Denver...

Postby kent99 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:16 pm

hey
I was accepted yesterday. . . no $$ email so I called
I got zero $$
I thought I would get something with a 3.7/156

I know my LSAT is low, but I thought maybe $5,000, $1,000, $1, something. . . .

irenic
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: In at Denver...

Postby irenic » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:44 pm

kent99 wrote:hey
I was accepted yesterday. . . no $$ email so I called
I got zero $$
I thought I would get something with a 3.7/156

I know my LSAT is low, but I thought maybe $5,000, $1,000, $1, something. . . .


Are you still considering attending despite no $$? Just curious because I am in the same situation.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: In at Denver...

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:19 pm

Sent 2/16. Complete 2/16.
Accepted 2/18.
Last edited by typ3 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: In at Denver...

Postby gothamm » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:35 pm

typ3 wrote:Sent 2/16. Complete 2/16.
Accepted 2/18 w/ $$$. That has to be some sort of record.


Why are you applying to Denver with your numbers? I can't imagine it's for nothing more than kicks and giggles.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: In at Denver...

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:38 pm

gothamm wrote:
typ3 wrote:Sent 2/16. Complete 2/16.
Accepted 2/18 w/ $$$. That has to be some sort of record.


Why are you applying to Denver with your numbers? I can't imagine it's for nothing more than kicks and giggles.


SO is applying to CUdenver for a few masters programs. So I will give it a long considerate thought.

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: In at Denver...

Postby krad » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:04 pm

Anyone have any luck negotiating $ with DU? I'm trying to get them to up my $ a bit...

jayman6
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: In at Denver...

Postby jayman6 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:12 pm

krad wrote:Anyone have any luck negotiating $ with DU? I'm trying to get them to up my $ a bit...


I tried to get them to increase mine from $25k, but they said $25k was the max any student would receive. Hope his helps.

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: In at Denver...

Postby krad » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:20 pm

jayman6 wrote:
krad wrote:Anyone have any luck negotiating $ with DU? I'm trying to get them to up my $ a bit...


I tried to get them to increase mine from $25k, but they said $25k was the max any student would receive. Hope his helps.


Thanks, that does! I'll see if I can't get them to up my $20k :)

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: In at Denver...

Postby chrisbru » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:57 pm

krad wrote:Anyone have any luck negotiating $ with DU? I'm trying to get them to up my $ a bit...


I've been waiting two weeks to hear back now about pulling up my $20k. This is what he said on Feb 8th:

DU Admissions wrote:Dear Chrisbru,


Many thanks for your email.



I would be happy to take your request to my committee; however, I will be cautious with my optimism as committee members tend not to increase awards after the initial offer.



Warm regards,

Adcomm

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: In at Denver...

Postby krad » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:03 pm

chrisbru wrote:
krad wrote:Anyone have any luck negotiating $ with DU? I'm trying to get them to up my $ a bit...


I've been waiting two weeks to hear back now about pulling up my $20k. This is what he said on Feb 8th:

DU Admissions wrote:DU adcoms email


Ugh :( Thanks, though, Chris!

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: In at Denver...

Postby chrisbru » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:12 pm

krad wrote:
Ugh :( Thanks, though, Chris!



No problem! I hope to hear back this week... They have until I sign my lease when I'm in Iowa City (March 24-26) to up that scholarship. Same with CU and UMinn to let me off the waitlist :-) Otherwise, Hawkeye bound.

mbe01jad
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: In at Denver...

Postby mbe01jad » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:31 pm

krad wrote:Anyone have any luck negotiating $ with DU? I'm trying to get them to up my $ a bit...


I tried to convince them to bump their commitment 5k/yr (currently 15k/yr over 4 yrs), but all I got was a promise to flag my file for re-review later in the cycle. The lady I spoke with indicated I shouldn't count on an increase...

5k/yr increase would seal the deal for me.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: In at Denver...

Postby typ3 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:15 pm

mbe01jad wrote:
krad wrote:Anyone have any luck negotiating $ with DU? I'm trying to get them to up my $ a bit...


I tried to convince them to bump their commitment 5k/yr (currently 15k/yr over 4 yrs), but all I got was a promise to flag my file for re-review later in the cycle. The lady I spoke with indicated I shouldn't count on an increase...

5k/yr increase would seal the deal for me.


What are your #'s?

Krad, you have a decent chance of getting an increase given your #'s. Their admissions committee seems to place a lot more emphasis on GPA than other schools. Hence a kid with a 161 /3.22 is given the same scholarship as you with a 168 / 3.44. Granted both are splitters given Denver's numbers but I would think that 7 point difference on the LSAT and .22 gpa would count for something. Esp since a 158 / 3.57 gets the largest merit but you get the shaft.

I think Denver's current conundrum is they gave out a lot of early money to some people but they've received a lot of last minute apps from overly qualified candidates. like OldHippie 170/3.5, Defago 3.7 / 168, etc. So, if you're trying to leverage and you're like a 3.6/160/158 candidate already getting 60k it's not going to happen. Not to sound crass, but there are bigger fish for denver to fry than people at or barely above the 75th.

mbe01jad
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: In at Denver...

Postby mbe01jad » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:13 pm

typ3 wrote:
mbe01jad wrote:
krad wrote:Anyone have any luck negotiating $ with DU? I'm trying to get them to up my $ a bit...


I tried to convince them to bump their commitment 5k/yr (currently 15k/yr over 4 yrs), but all I got was a promise to flag my file for re-review later in the cycle. The lady I spoke with indicated I shouldn't count on an increase...

5k/yr increase would seal the deal for me.


What are your #'s?

Krad, you have a decent chance of getting an increase given your #'s. Their admissions committee seems to place a lot more emphasis on GPA than other schools. Hence a kid with a 161 /3.22 is given the same scholarship as you with a 168 / 3.44. Granted both are splitters given Denver's numbers but I would think that 7 point difference on the LSAT and .22 gpa would count for something. Esp since a 158 / 3.57 gets the largest merit but you get the shaft.

I think Denver's current conundrum is they gave out a lot of early money to some people but they've received a lot of last minute apps from overly qualified candidates. like OldHippie 170/3.5, Defago 3.7 / 168, etc. So, if you're trying to leverage and you're like a 3.6/160/158 candidate already getting 60k it's not going to happen. Not to sound crass, but there are bigger fish for denver to fry than people at or barely above the 75th.


160/3.3ish...MBA, 3.9 (not sure this helped much)

I concede all of the above, but I at least wanted to make an honest effort at making this monumental financial decision easier. Similarly to chrisbru, I was informed that awards are rarely increased beyond the initial offering.

krad, in every data set there are outliers. Best of luck with your request.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: In at Denver...

Postby typ3 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:14 pm

mbe01jad wrote:
typ3 wrote:
mbe01jad wrote:
krad wrote:Anyone have any luck negotiating $ with DU? I'm trying to get them to up my $ a bit...


I tried to convince them to bump their commitment 5k/yr (currently 15k/yr over 4 yrs), but all I got was a promise to flag my file for re-review later in the cycle. The lady I spoke with indicated I shouldn't count on an increase...

5k/yr increase would seal the deal for me.


What are your #'s?

Krad, you have a decent chance of getting an increase given your #'s. Their admissions committee seems to place a lot more emphasis on GPA than other schools. Hence a kid with a 161 /3.22 is given the same scholarship as you with a 168 / 3.44. Granted both are splitters given Denver's numbers but I would think that 7 point difference on the LSAT and .22 gpa would count for something. Esp since a 158 / 3.57 gets the largest merit but you get the shaft.

I think Denver's current conundrum is they gave out a lot of early money to some people but they've received a lot of last minute apps from overly qualified candidates. like OldHippie 170/3.5, Defago 3.7 / 168, etc. So, if you're trying to leverage and you're like a 3.6/160/158 candidate already getting 60k it's not going to happen. Not to sound crass, but there are bigger fish for denver to fry than people at or barely above the 75th.


160/3.3ish...MBA, 3.9 (not sure this helped much)

I concede all of the above, but I at least wanted to make an honest effort at making this monumental financial decision easier. Similarly to chrisbru, I was informed that awards are rarely increased beyond the initial offering.

krad, in every data set there are outliers. Best of luck with your request.


I wouldn't put your chances at 0, but I don't see it being likely you'll get an increase in $.

ktc88
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: In at Denver...

Postby ktc88 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:15 pm

Anyone have any ideas about my chances applying so late?

I'm 160 / 3.48. I've been working a full time job since july and only in december really decided i wanted to go to law school. Working 42 hours a week it took me awhile to get everything ready. Only problem is I only just now mailed my 2nd recommendation so they should have it processed early March, the second they process it, I'll send in my application.

But from what I've been reading they have most of their seats filled up in March and they prioritize students who submit by March 1. I'm overnighting the recommendation but still it seems my chances are slim of getting my app in by then. I would have applied earlier, and my professor was prompt with his rec, but it took until now to get my manager at work to do it for me.

I have alot of work experience including a summer internship at a law firm, a strong personal statement i think, and a year abroad in spain during undergraduate school. On the other hand I got into some disciplinary trouble with my undergrad school sophomore year.

I really want to stay in state and think my chances of boulder are slim, its looking like UDenver's my best bet and now I'm worrying I'm too late =(....

Does anyone have knowledge of people getting in this late and what they're stats are?

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: In at Denver...

Postby typ3 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:47 pm

ktc88 wrote:Anyone have any ideas about my chances applying so late?

I'm 160 / 3.48. I've been working a full time job since july and only in december really decided i wanted to go to law school. Working 42 hours a week it took me awhile to get everything ready. Only problem is I only just now mailed my 2nd recommendation so they should have it processed early March, the second they process it, I'll send in my application.

But from what I've been reading they have most of their seats filled up in March and they prioritize students who submit by March 1. I'm overnighting the recommendation but still it seems my chances are slim of getting my app in by then. I would have applied earlier, and my professor was prompt with his rec, but it took until now to get my manager at work to do it for me.

I have alot of work experience including a summer internship at a law firm, a strong personal statement i think, and a year abroad in spain during undergraduate school. On the other hand I got into some disciplinary trouble with my undergrad school sophomore year.

I really want to stay in state and think my chances of boulder are slim, its looking like UDenver's my best bet and now I'm worrying I'm too late =(....

Does anyone have knowledge of people getting in this late and what they're stats are?


Early cycle they would give you $$.

This late you'll likely get in, but you won't receive scholarship $ this late. Your choice if you want to sit out a year for that extra $.

ashrh01
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: In at Denver...

Postby ashrh01 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:51 pm

accepted to denver via email today. status checker never changed.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: In at Denver...

Postby typ3 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:58 pm

ashrh01 wrote:accepted to denver via email today. status checker never changed.


Congrats! Mind to share stats on when you went complete and your #'s?

ktc88
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: In at Denver...

Postby ktc88 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:00 pm

typ3 wrote:
ktc88 wrote:Anyone have any ideas about my chances applying so late?

I'm 160 / 3.48. I've been working a full time job since july and only in december really decided i wanted to go to law school. Working 42 hours a week it took me awhile to get everything ready. Only problem is I only just now mailed my 2nd recommendation so they should have it processed early March, the second they process it, I'll send in my application.

But from what I've been reading they have most of their seats filled up in March and they prioritize students who submit by March 1. I'm overnighting the recommendation but still it seems my chances are slim of getting my app in by then. I would have applied earlier, and my professor was prompt with his rec, but it took until now to get my manager at work to do it for me.

I have alot of work experience including a summer internship at a law firm, a strong personal statement i think, and a year abroad in spain during undergraduate school. On the other hand I got into some disciplinary trouble with my undergrad school sophomore year.

I really want to stay in state and think my chances of boulder are slim, its looking like UDenver's my best bet and now I'm worrying I'm too late =(....

Does anyone have knowledge of people getting in this late and what they're stats are?


Early cycle they would give you $$.

This late you'll likely get in, but you won't receive scholarship $ this late. Your choice if you want to sit out a year for that extra $.


Any word on what the risks of this would be? How long does LSAC retain LORs for, and would my professor's recommendation still look good for the schools? I don't have a way of getting any more recs really.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: In at Denver...

Postby typ3 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:04 pm

ktc88 wrote:
typ3 wrote:
ktc88 wrote:Anyone have any ideas about my chances applying so late?

I'm 160 / 3.48. I've been working a full time job since july and only in december really decided i wanted to go to law school. Working 42 hours a week it took me awhile to get everything ready. Only problem is I only just now mailed my 2nd recommendation so they should have it processed early March, the second they process it, I'll send in my application.

But from what I've been reading they have most of their seats filled up in March and they prioritize students who submit by March 1. I'm overnighting the recommendation but still it seems my chances are slim of getting my app in by then. I would have applied earlier, and my professor was prompt with his rec, but it took until now to get my manager at work to do it for me.

I have alot of work experience including a summer internship at a law firm, a strong personal statement i think, and a year abroad in spain during undergraduate school. On the other hand I got into some disciplinary trouble with my undergrad school sophomore year.

I really want to stay in state and think my chances of boulder are slim, its looking like UDenver's my best bet and now I'm worrying I'm too late =(....

Does anyone have knowledge of people getting in this late and what they're stats are?


Early cycle they would give you $$.

This late you'll likely get in, but you won't receive scholarship $ this late. Your choice if you want to sit out a year for that extra $.


Any word on what the risks of this would be? How long does LSAC retain LORs for, and would my professor's recommendation still look good for the schools? I don't have a way of getting any more recs really.


3 or 5 years.

ashrh01
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: In at Denver...

Postby ashrh01 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:34 pm

typ3 wrote:
ashrh01 wrote:accepted to denver via email today. status checker never changed.


Congrats! Mind to share stats on when you went complete and your #'s?



my lsn profile has that info here http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ashrh01

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: In at Denver...

Postby pinkcamellia » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:03 pm

I'm also in today, complete 1/28. Status did not change.

User avatar
fundamentallybroken
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 am

Re: In at Denver...

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:01 am

ktc88 wrote:Anyone have any ideas about my chances applying so late?

I'm 160 / 3.48. I've been working a full time job since july and only in december really decided i wanted to go to law school. Working 42 hours a week it took me awhile to get everything ready. Only problem is I only just now mailed my 2nd recommendation so they should have it processed early March, the second they process it, I'll send in my application.

But from what I've been reading they have most of their seats filled up in March and they prioritize students who submit by March 1. I'm overnighting the recommendation but still it seems my chances are slim of getting my app in by then. I would have applied earlier, and my professor was prompt with his rec, but it took until now to get my manager at work to do it for me.

I have alot of work experience including a summer internship at a law firm, a strong personal statement i think, and a year abroad in spain during undergraduate school. On the other hand I got into some disciplinary trouble with my undergrad school sophomore year.

I really want to stay in state and think my chances of boulder are slim, its looking like UDenver's my best bet and now I'm worrying I'm too late =(....

Does anyone have knowledge of people getting in this late and what they're stats are?


APPLY NOW!

You can assign your second LOR to the school and submit your application before it comes in. When it does come in and process it, LSAC will forward it along to the school. This way, your application is in before the deadline, and you probably have a better chance of getting in than if you wait until the very last second.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”