In at Denver...

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gcraggs

Re: In at Denver...

Postby gcraggs » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:08 pm

My status says "Application Complete/Ready for Review". Does anyone know if it actually will tell me if it is in review? Or will I just receive and email one day? It is one of my top choices and I'm pretty anxious. It would be nice if schools had some consistency on the status checkers aye?

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:09 pm

my status never updated from that and then I just got an acceptance e-mail. They took about 3 weeks for me

gcraggs

Postby gcraggs » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:12 pm

Great thank you! I have only been waiting about two weeks, but wasn't sure what the general time frame was I should expect. I thought I read something about how if you aren't in by March 1 you aren't considered a priority for merit scholarships? Is that correct?

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:14 pm

gcraggs wrote:Great thank you! I have only been waiting about two weeks, but wasn't sure what the general time frame was I should expect. I thought I read something about how if you aren't in by March 1 you aren't considered a priority for merit scholarships? Is that correct?

I think that might be if your application isn't in by March 1, not necessarily being admitted. FWIW, I went complete/ready for review in mid-December, and was accepted mid-January, so you might still have a couple of weeks' worth of waiting ahead. Good luck!

gcraggs

Postby gcraggs » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:16 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
gcraggs wrote:Great thank you! I have only been waiting about two weeks, but wasn't sure what the general time frame was I should expect. I thought I read something about how if you aren't in by March 1 you aren't considered a priority for merit scholarships? Is that correct?

I think that might be if your application isn't in by March 1, not necessarily being admitted. FWIW, I went complete/ready for review in mid-December, and was accepted mid-January, so you might still have a couple of weeks' worth of waiting ahead. Good luck!

I see. That makes more sense. I've been reading too many of these law school forums! Congratulations on your acceptance and thanks. Hopefully I'll have good news to report shortly!

gcraggs

Postby gcraggs » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:18 pm

Also, did anyone apply for the Chancellor Scholarship or know much about it? Really wasn't too descriptive on the website- other than the buzz words "full tuition" which was enough for me... I sent in my app yesterday.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:25 pm

gcraggs wrote:Also, did anyone apply for the Chancellor Scholarship or know much about it? Really wasn't too descriptive on the website- other than the buzz words "full tuition" which was enough for me... I sent in my app yesterday.

I was going to... But it didn't seem like my 2.94 GPA was going to snag their attention, and I REALLY didn't want to have to ask for two more LORs.

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:28 pm

gcraggs wrote:Also, did anyone apply for the Chancellor Scholarship or know much about it? Really wasn't too descriptive on the website- other than the buzz words "full tuition" which was enough for me... I sent in my app yesterday.

Thought about it, but I didn't want to tie my hands with public service. The thing is, having never been to law school, I don't know what I want to do yet. I'm certainly interested in public service but I don't want to go to law school and discover there is an area of law that I'm interested in that doesn't mesh well with public service.

apaint

Postby apaint » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:30 pm

Spoke with a few people about the public service requirement at Denver and UW. A LOT of positions qualify, basically it limits your income.

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:49 pm

Sending mine in tomorrow...

I don't know if I'm what they're looking for.

I worked as a mental health researcher (depression, anxiety, stress, traumatic events, etc) for a few years and as a peer advisor/mentor getting undergrads into research positions. They're both public interest, but it's not like I fed battered homeless people - although I argue that research ultimately helps far more people.

gcraggs

Postby gcraggs » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:57 pm

I didn't see any requirements for after you graduate, just while you are in school. Did anyone else? Not sure I'm willing to make a commitment to a career in public service for x amount of years after graduating.

Not sure if I am what they are looking for either. I have extensive campaign experience, as well as some legislative advocacy for different organizations, but I didn't feed any battered homeless people either. I figured I may as well give it a shot.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:12 pm

gcraggs wrote:I didn't see any requirements for after you graduate, just while you are in school. Did anyone else? Not sure I'm willing to make a commitment to a career in public service for x amount of years after graduating.

Not sure if I am what they are looking for either. I have extensive campaign experience, as well as some legislative advocacy for different organizations, but I didn't feed any battered homeless people either. I figured I may as well give it a shot.

I don't think there is a career requirement, but they are looking for people who want to make a career of PI work. I'm putting the finishing touches on my stuff this weekend and applying, because it would certainly help!

(I have fed homeless people, often by hand, though I'm not sure they liked it. Sometimes you have to force it, you know?)

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:16 pm

I don't think there is a career requirement, but they are looking for people who want to make a career of PI work. I'm putting the finishing touches on my stuff this weekend and applying, because it would certainly help!

(I have fed homeless people, often by hand, though I'm not sure they liked it. Sometimes you have to force it, you know?)

I just want to say that I'm disappointed we won't be classmates. You entertain me.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:16 pm

chrisbru wrote:

I just want to say that I'm disappointed we won't be classmates. You entertain me.

Likewise Chris! I'm pulling for your gf to not get accepted anywhere other than CSU.

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:23 pm

gcraggs wrote:I didn't see any requirements for after you graduate, just while you are in school. Did anyone else? Not sure I'm willing to make a commitment to a career in public service for x amount of years after graduating.

There is no requirement, but I did talk to a current Chancellor Scholar and they said that it's highly frowned upon when a C-Scholar takes a job making 100k a year after graduation. I don't want to be the guy who decides to go into business law and everyone hates me for going to school for free then making a bunch of money. I'm not saying those are my intentions, but I want to keep my options open.

gcraggs

Postby gcraggs » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:41 pm

jayman6 wrote:

There is no requirement, but I did talk to a current Chancellor Scholar and they said that it's highly frowned upon when a C-Scholar takes a job making 100k a year after graduation. I don't want to be the guy who decides to go into business law and everyone hates me for going to school for free then making a bunch of money. I'm not saying those are my intentions, but I want to keep my options open.

Ha totally fair. Maybe a little disingenuous...

And doing public interest is my intention and what I've been doing for a few years, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a requirement after graduation. Some other schools have seriously stiff requirements if you don't go into it, such as paying back your scholarship if you don't stay in public interest for 10 years etc. Or they dictate what organizations they deem worthy. Not sure I'm ready to make THAT much of a commitment.

gcraggs

Postby gcraggs » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:43 pm

jayman6 wrote:

Btw thanks for the info. Definitely need to make some decisions if I am lucky enough to get chosen. Hell I haven't even gotten accepted yet!

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:14 pm

gcraggs wrote:
jayman6 wrote:

Ha totally fair. Maybe a little disingenuous...

And doing public interest is my intention and what I've been doing for a few years, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a requirement after graduation. Some other schools have seriously stiff requirements if you don't go into it, such as paying back your scholarship if you don't stay in public interest for 10 years etc. Or they dictate what organizations they deem worthy. Not sure I'm ready to make THAT much of a commitment.

This program seems perfect for people like you. As much as I'd like free tuition, I don't want to lie or mislead anyone to get the scholarship. But if you know what you want is public service, definitely go for it. Good luck!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:19 pm

jayman6 wrote:

Go to school for free and do corporate law. You making 100k+ a year will help them a lot more in rankings than will working at the government.

Giving away a scholarship is like investing for a law school. They invest in you to pull up their medians and to pass the bar and find gainful employment. Considering Denver's median salary is 67k making 100k would do a lot to boost their numbers. Tell them what they want to hear but do whats best for your family.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:54 pm

in with 20k

acceptence letter and then scholly offer the next day.

gcraggs

Postby gcraggs » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:45 pm

Would you mind sharing when you applied/went complete? Thanks.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:36 pm

sure. applied jan 17, complete a week after, acceptance e-mail feb 14, scholarship e-mail feb 15

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:20 pm

gothamm wrote:sure. applied jan 17, complete a week after, acceptance e-mail feb 14, scholarship e-mail feb 15

Acceptance email 14 Feb. Got my packet in the mail today. No scholarship info anywhere :(.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:25 pm

sabenser wrote:
gothamm wrote:sure. applied jan 17, complete a week after, acceptance e-mail feb 14, scholarship e-mail feb 15

Acceptance email 14 Feb. Got my packet in the mail today. No scholarship info anywhere :(.

It should be coming soon then. You'll get 25k a year with your numbers.

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:32 pm

typ3 wrote:
sabenser wrote:

It should be coming soon then. You'll get 25k a year with your numbers.

That's what I'm expecting too but haven't seen someone on this thread with such a long delay between acceptance and scholly. Oh well, I'm sure it will come.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”