In at Denver...

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jayman6

Re: In at Denver...

Postby jayman6 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:52 pm

By the way, people should join the admitted students page on Facebook.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:00 pm

jayman6 wrote:By the way, people should join the admitted students page on Facebook.

Oh, good call - I forget about those!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:12 pm

jayman6 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
jayman6 wrote:
What are your cheaper options, and how much less will your total debt be at the end?

For instance, my current options are:
St. Thomas (MN - third tier) - $55k total debt
Denver (second tier) - $100k total debt (scholarship reconsideration pending)
Iowa (26 rank) - $115k total debt - scholarship offer unknown (in the mail)

In my situation, controlling from all outside forces (like my gf not getting into a school within 3 hours of one of these), I would currently choose St. Thomas because the minimum $45k extra debt does seem worth it to me, since I know I would be happy staying in Minneapolis after graduation. However, if Denver upped their scholarship offer, than I would go there... Since $30k more to go to a tier 2 instead of tier 3 now seems worth it, considering I'd be more than happy to stay in Denver after graduation.

Depending on what Iowa offers, it will be a complete game-changer. If Iowa is < or = Denver, then I will probably go to Iowa. No, it's not in the state where I want to practice, but it's ranked 26 and I wouldn't been too upset if I had to "settle" for a job in Des Moines after graduation. As long as Iowa gets below $100k, then it will be a hard decision between less debt vs. higher ranked school. If Iowa gets below $85k, I feel like it *should* be a no brainer.

I agree that Iowa would be good, but I don't expect money from there. Right now U Nebraska is cheaper by about $20k for me. Not sure if it's worth it but it's closer to my home town, not that I'm set on staying close. I got a full ride at Hamline but I'm not really considering it. I didn't apply to St. Thomas, but perhaps I should have.

Should have. They seem to be giving out a lot of full rides this year. I'm pretty sure they are gunning to break into the top 100 in the next 3-5 years. Do NOT go to Hamline if you can go anywhere top 100, despite the full ride. Being the 4th best school in a small legal market like Minneapolis is not a good thing.

/derail.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:12 pm

jayman6 wrote:By the way, people should join the admitted students page on Facebook.

Can you link to it? FB search annoys me, and I gave up after a couple tries.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:25 pm

chrisbru wrote:

Can you link to it? FB search annoys me, and I gave up after a couple tries.

In case this doesn't work, it's on the invitation to the ASD as well:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_106932219383701

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:28 pm

chrisbru wrote:
jayman6 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
jayman6 wrote:
What are your cheaper options, and how much less will your total debt be at the end?

For instance, my current options are:
St. Thomas (MN - third tier) - $55k total debt
Denver (second tier) - $100k total debt (scholarship reconsideration pending)
Iowa (26 rank) - $115k total debt - scholarship offer unknown (in the mail)

In my situation, controlling from all outside forces (like my gf not getting into a school within 3 hours of one of these), I would currently choose St. Thomas because the minimum $45k extra debt does seem worth it to me, since I know I would be happy staying in Minneapolis after graduation. However, if Denver upped their scholarship offer, than I would go there... Since $30k more to go to a tier 2 instead of tier 3 now seems worth it, considering I'd be more than happy to stay in Denver after graduation.

Depending on what Iowa offers, it will be a complete game-changer. If Iowa is < or = Denver, then I will probably go to Iowa. No, it's not in the state where I want to practice, but it's ranked 26 and I wouldn't been too upset if I had to "settle" for a job in Des Moines after graduation. As long as Iowa gets below $100k, then it will be a hard decision between less debt vs. higher ranked school. If Iowa gets below $85k, I feel like it *should* be a no brainer.

I agree that Iowa would be good, but I don't expect money from there. Right now U Nebraska is cheaper by about $20k for me. Not sure if it's worth it but it's closer to my home town, not that I'm set on staying close. I got a full ride at Hamline but I'm not really considering it. I didn't apply to St. Thomas, but perhaps I should have.

Should have. They seem to be giving out a lot of full rides this year. I'm pretty sure they are gunning to break into the top 100 in the next 3-5 years. Do NOT go to Hamline if you can go anywhere top 100, despite the full ride. Being the 4th best school in a small legal market like Minneapolis is not a good thing.

/derail.

What is the app fee at St. Thomas? Would it be too late to apply now and get $$?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:30 pm

jayman6 wrote:
What is the app fee at St. Thomas? Would it be too late to apply now and get $$?

I had a fee waiver. Not sure about $$, but definitely not too late to apply. Worth the $12, at least, if you want to practice in Minneapolis.

ETA:
fundamentallybroken wrote:
In case this doesn't work, it's on the invitation to the ASD as well:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_106932219383701

Thanks! I seem to have a hard time paying attention to DU materials... I missed where the deposit due date was listed too.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:56 pm

Approved to be a member of the DU group! If anyone wants to add me on FB, I should be easy to find in the group list if you even glance at my handle on here :-)

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:07 pm

I'm holding off on the Fbook thing till I know I'm attending for sure. Its a group for DU attending admits right?

kent99

Postby kent99 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:36 pm

Chrisbru- any idea how Ohio Northern compares to St. Thomas? hard to know since Tier 3s aren't ranked.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:52 pm

kent99 wrote:Chrisbru- any idea how Ohio Northern compares to St. Thomas? hard to know since Tier 3s aren't ranked.

Pm'd, since this really isn't the thread.

I think the group is for admitted students, not just attending students.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:59 pm

in this afternoon via e-mail

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:38 pm

crit_racer wrote:in this afternoon via e-mail

Hey, congrats!

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:42 am

fundamentallybroken wrote:
crit_racer wrote:in this afternoon via e-mail

Hey, congrats!

Grats!

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:02 pm

thanks...kinda worried i haven't received the scholly e-mail yet, though.

mbe01jad

Postby mbe01jad » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:16 pm

I'm up for drinks Friday after ASD...Also, anyone interested in hanging around for the weekend to enjoy the slopes, let me know.

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:06 pm

mbe01jad wrote:I'm up for drinks Friday after ASD...Also, anyone interested in hanging around for the weekend to enjoy the slopes, let me know.

I just don't want to spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$ on ridiculous rentals... I'd rather just wait until i have my board and stuff out there; otherwise I'd definitely go.

My 2L bud there is showing me around Denver on Saturday if anyone wants to join. I'm sure we'll hit LoDo.

Also, I'm on the facebook group if anyone wants to add me in order to organize going out etc... my first name is Ryan and my picture is of an Irish mofo in a cave.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Adrian Yale wrote:
mbe01jad wrote:I'm up for drinks Friday after ASD...Also, anyone interested in hanging around for the weekend to enjoy the slopes, let me know.

I just don't want to spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$ on ridiculous rentals... I'd rather just wait until i have my board and stuff out there; otherwise I'd definitely go.

My 2L bud there is showing me around Denver on Saturday if anyone wants to join. I'm sure we'll hit LoDo.

Also, I'm on the facebook group if anyone wants to add me in order to organize going out etc... my first name is Ryan and my picture is of an Irish mofo in a cave.

Fly Southwest, and your board can come with for free!

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:26 pm

Oh boy, I've never been skiing or snowboarding. I'm going to have to learn real fast to fit in out in CO. :)

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:04 pm

jayman6 wrote:Oh boy, I've never been skiing or snowboarding. I'm going to have to learn real fast to fit in out in CO. :)

Snowboarding = heaven on earth.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:33 pm

Adrian Yale wrote:
jayman6 wrote:Oh boy, I've never been skiing or snowboarding. I'm going to have to learn real fast to fit in out in CO. :)

Snowboarding = heaven on earth.

Snowboarding takes half the skill of skiing, hence you use two boards for skiing ;)

I would say, snowboarding is harder to pick up and hurts like hell the first few times you're out falling. You could figure out how to get down a lot of runs on skiis in an hour, but it is a lot harder to master skiing. I'm proficient at both but I prefer my skis over my board. I hate having to buckle and unbuckle when getting on and off the chair. Plus, if you're stuck on a catwalk or a flat part at the bottom of the hill on a snowboard it sucks. Skiis are superior in this area as you can pole / skate yourself to the lift. You'll get to carving faster on a board than skiis, but you'll likely have more fun on skiis as a newbie since the beginner areas close to Denver tend to be really flat at the bottom and slushy mid/late season.

If it were somewhere further west in the Sierras / Tahoe / Oregon / Vancouver area I'd probably say board since the snow is completely different. They call it sierra cement for a reason. It's easier to hold an edge on that stuff on a board imo.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:28 pm

No longer headed to ASD... And probably withdrawing next week, due to a full-tuition offer from Iowa.

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:20 pm

chrisbru wrote:No longer headed to ASD... And probably withdrawing next week, due to a full-tuition offer from Iowa.

Congrats on Iowa!

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:29 pm

wow full tuition from Iowa? was that an admissions scholarship or a special one? congrats now you have a no brain decision.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:31 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:wow full tuition from Iowa? was that an admissions scholarship or a special one? congrats now you have a no brain decision.

Admissions scholarship. I'm in-state, so probably trying to fill their mandatory 50% Iowa resident quota that the board of regents gives them.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”