In at Denver...

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chrisbru

Re: In at Denver...

Postby chrisbru » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:56 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:This thread hasn't seen enough action lately (CU seems to be hogging all the posters!)

Anyone else signed up for the ASD on March 25? It looks like it runs from 2ish to 7ish, so there should be plenty of time for TLS drinks after!

Bam! Registered yesterday (due to my CU waitlist.) I was looking at hotels and am probably going to stay at the La Quinta Cherry Creek, since it's super close to the school, super cheap, and I really don't care how crappy the hotel is. I plan on having beverages Thursday and Friday night in Denver, so anyone who wants to join is welcome! I'll be arriving at Denver Int'l around 10:30 on Thursday night, and leaving Saturday afternoon around 3:30.

ETA: http://www.lq.com/lq/properties/propert ... clearppc=1

Did anyone hear back about possible reimbursement?

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:24 pm

chrisbru wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:This thread hasn't seen enough action lately (CU seems to be hogging all the posters!)

Anyone else signed up for the ASD on March 25? It looks like it runs from 2ish to 7ish, so there should be plenty of time for TLS drinks after!

Bam! Registered yesterday (due to my CU waitlist.) I was looking at hotels and am probably going to stay at the La Quinta Cherry Creek, since it's super close to the school, super cheap, and I really don't care how crappy the hotel is. I plan on having beverages Thursday and Friday night in Denver, so anyone who wants to join is welcome! I'll be arriving at Denver Int'l around 10:30 on Thursday night, and leaving Saturday afternoon around 3:30.

ETA: http://www.lq.com/lq/properties/propert ... clearppc=1

Did anyone hear back about possible reimbursement?

Nice. Don't know much about the La Quintas there, but you are only one train stop from the school, which is good.

Really anywhere on the light rail line is good, whether it's on Colorado and I-25 or even downtown.

Thursday night will be a little late for me (I have to work in the morning!), but am definitely up for Friday.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:47 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
Nice. Don't know much about the La Quintas there, but you are only one train stop from the school, which is good.

Really anywhere on the light rail line is good, whether it's on Colorado and I-25 or even downtown.

Thursday night will be a little late for me (I have to work in the morning!), but am definitely up for Friday.

Forgot about the light rail... How late does it run? Can I take it back to La Quinta from the bars at, say, 2am?

ETA: How late are bars open? 2? or later?

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:09 pm

chrisbru wrote:

Forgot about the light rail... How late does it run? Can I take it back to La Quinta from the bars at, say, 2am?

All bars close at 2, and the last E line light rail runs by DU and Colorado Blvd around 1:40 or so. Of course, if you must stay at a bar until close, cabs are plentiful and cheap (like 5 bucks or so to get from the DU area to the La Quinta on Colorado - it's only a mile away).

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:55 pm

chrisbru wrote:

All bars close at 2, and the last E line light rail runs by DU and Colorado Blvd around 1:40 or so. Of course, if you must stay at a bar until close, cabs are plentiful and cheap (like 5 bucks or so to get from the DU area to the La Quinta on Colorado - it's only a mile away).

Sounds like a plan, thanks for the info!

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:17 pm

jayman6 wrote:

I'll be there.

There. And drinking? yes.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:25 pm

Any Denver locals care to comment on the best/favorite bars?

swmswm2011

Postby swmswm2011 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:12 pm

why is Denver torturing me and still have me listed as Complete/Ready to Review???!!! It's been 2 months!!

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:24 pm

swmswm2011 wrote:why is Denver torturing me and still have me listed as Complete/Ready to Review???!!! It's been 2 months!!

Denver likes to do that - wait until you have no hope left, then pleasantly surprise you. So, just give up hope!

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:28 pm

IamAskier wrote:Any Denver locals care to comment on the best/favorite bars?

Most of mine are either defunct or too far from DU to recommend to visitors. I know the Stadium Inn is still near DU, not sure if it's still as much of a hole as it was when I was last there (~15 years ago!), but it was always good for a super cheap pitcher.

If you're downtown, there's a lot of sports bars on Blake Street (if you're into that), or the Cruise Room in the Oxford Hotel is super classy (if you're into that - one of the only bars in Denver without a tv). Worth a special trip would be the Thin Man on 17th and Race (the thinnest bar in Denver), or the Vine Street on 17th and Vine (best craft beers I've had). Both of those are a block apart.

ETA: By "classy" I mean it's just a cool place, not that you need to wear a tux and be prepared to spend a gazillion dollars. It's just a fun art deco bar.

kent99

Postby kent99 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:44 pm

haven't heard from DU yet either.
I choose to believe it's because they are busy checking under their couch cushions to scrape together an incredible offer for me.
I believe!

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:48 pm

kent99 wrote:haven't heard from DU yet either.
I choose to believe it's because they are busy checking under their couch cushions to scrape together an incredible offer for me.
I believe!

I have been complete since the 18th - FT 160/3.7. Crossing my fingers!

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:10 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:
I believe!

you are above both medians. DU looks beyond the numbers but everyone likes good numbers and its my bet is that you would have needed to have some redflags on your ap to not get in. if you sent a quality ap, wait it out because you help their numbers and you will surely get money.

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:15 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:
I believe!

Complete since 12 Jan, 165/3.6. I think it just takes a while for them to scrounge up full-ride scholarships for us, ha.

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:26 pm

sabenser wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:
I believe!

Complete since 12 Jan, 165/3.6. I think it just takes a while for them to scrounge up full-ride scholarships for us, ha.

I wish! You will definitely get good money.

mrwarre85 wrote: you are above both medians. DU looks beyond the numbers but everyone likes good numbers and its my bet is that you would have needed to have some redflags on your ap to not get in. if you sent a quality ap, wait it out because you help their numbers and you will surely get money.

Thanks, I'm gonna wait it out and see what happens!
Last edited by pinkcamellia on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:28 pm

sabenser wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:
I believe!

Good luck with that. The Assistant Dean of Admissions denied my request for a scholarship increase, stating that outside of the Chancellor, $25k/yr is the maximum they are awarding this year.

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:51 pm

jayman6 wrote:
sabenser wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:
I believe!

Good luck with that. The Assistant Dean of Admissions denied my request for a scholarship increase, stating that outside of the Chancellor, $25k/yr is the maximum they are awarding this year.

Thanks for the info. That's too bad because I really wanted to go to Denver for their location and tax program but if I'm spending $10,000 in tuition, I might as well go to BYU at full price.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:05 pm

Complete since 12 Jan, 165/3.6. I think it just takes a while for them to scrounge up full-ride scholarships for us, ha.[/quote]

Good luck with that. The Assistant Dean of Admissions denied my request for a scholarship increase, stating that outside of the Chancellor, $25k/yr is the maximum they are awarding this year.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. That's too bad because I really wanted to go to Denver for their location and tax program but if I'm spending $10,000 in tuition, I might as well go to BYU at full price.[/quote]

they give out 12 chancellor scholarships so you might want to try there. also, anecdotal, but I know there are a few people that get more than 25k a year.

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:14 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:they give out 12 chancellor scholarships so you might want to try there. also, anecdotal, but I know there are a few people that get more than 25k a year.

I don't see why they would be dishonest about it. Whatever DU is still one of my top choices, but I would have gone there for sure if they would have even increased my award by $5k a year.

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:17 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:Complete since 12 Jan, 165/3.6. I think it just takes a while for them to scrounge up full-ride scholarships for us, ha.

Good luck with that. The Assistant Dean of Admissions denied my request for a scholarship increase, stating that outside of the Chancellor, $25k/yr is the maximum they are awarding this year.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. That's too bad because I really wanted to go to Denver for their location and tax program but if I'm spending $10,000 in tuition, I might as well go to BYU at full price.[/quote]

they give out 12 chancellor scholarships so you might want to try there. also, anecdotal, but I know there are a few people that get more than 25k a year.[/quote]

I've looked at applying but don't think I have the public interest credentials for it. I may need to look again. It's worth a shot.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:24 pm

jayman6 wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:they give out 12 chancellor scholarships so you might want to try there. also, anecdotal, but I know there are a few people that get more than 25k a year.

I don't see why they would be dishonest about it. Whatever DU is still one of my top choices, but I would have gone there for sure if they would have even increased my award by $5k a year.

yeah he must have meant they aren't giving out larger scholarships any longer. if you look on LSN you can see a few people every year get a larger scholarship early on, and lots of people get 15k, 20k, or 25k a year.

the scholarships that are larger might be named and can only be awarded to certain candidates that are screened by a separate scholarship committee. my scholarship this year seemed to be like that.

you may have gotten the highest scholarship from DU's admissions office, which might also be what he was referring to.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:57 pm

jayman6 wrote:

Hopefully that bodes well for me... An increase from $20k --> $25k/year would all but seal the deal (pending the gf's acceptance to CSU).

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:37 pm

chrisbru wrote:
jayman6 wrote:

Hopefully that bodes well for me... An increase from $20k --> $25k/year would all but seal the deal (pending the gf's acceptance to CSU).

I agree that it's a good deal, but when tuition is already almost $36k and is probably going to increase 3-5% every year, combined with the cost of living in Denver, it seems that the $25k might not go as far as I originally thought. Still, though, it's an excellent deal, but I'm still going to have a hard time swallowing $70-$80k in debt between cost of living and tuition not covered by the scholarship. If employment prospects were more solid it wouldn't be as great of a concern, but I also have about $30k in loans from my undergraduate degree.

Thoughts?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:44 pm

jayman6 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
jayman6 wrote:

I agree that it's a good deal, but when tuition is already almost $36k and is probably going to increase 3-5% every year, combined with the cost of living in Denver, it seems that the $25k might not go as far as I originally thought. Still, though, it's an excellent deal, but I'm still going to have a hard time swallowing $70-$80k in debt between cost of living and tuition not covered by the scholarship. If employment prospects were more solid it wouldn't be as great of a concern, but I also have about $30k in loans from my undergraduate degree.

Thoughts?

What are your cheaper options, and how much less will your total debt be at the end?

For instance, my current options are:
St. Thomas (MN - third tier) - $55k total debt
Denver (second tier) - $100k total debt (scholarship reconsideration pending)
Iowa (26 rank) - $115k total debt - scholarship offer unknown (in the mail)

In my situation, controlling from all outside forces (like my gf not getting into a school within 3 hours of one of these), I would currently choose St. Thomas because the minimum $45k extra debt does seem worth it to me, since I know I would be happy staying in Minneapolis after graduation. However, if Denver upped their scholarship offer, than I would go there... Since $30k more to go to a tier 2 instead of tier 3 now seems worth it, considering I'd be more than happy to stay in Denver after graduation.

Depending on what Iowa offers, it will be a complete game-changer. If Iowa is < or = Denver, then I will probably go to Iowa. No, it's not in the state where I want to practice, but it's ranked 26 and I wouldn't been too upset if I had to "settle" for a job in Des Moines after graduation. As long as Iowa gets below $100k, then it will be a hard decision between less debt vs. higher ranked school. If Iowa gets below $85k, I feel like it *should* be a no brainer.

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:51 pm

chrisbru wrote:
jayman6 wrote:
What are your cheaper options, and how much less will your total debt be at the end?

For instance, my current options are:
St. Thomas (MN - third tier) - $55k total debt
Denver (second tier) - $100k total debt (scholarship reconsideration pending)
Iowa (26 rank) - $115k total debt - scholarship offer unknown (in the mail)

In my situation, controlling from all outside forces (like my gf not getting into a school within 3 hours of one of these), I would currently choose St. Thomas because the minimum $45k extra debt does seem worth it to me, since I know I would be happy staying in Minneapolis after graduation. However, if Denver upped their scholarship offer, than I would go there... Since $30k more to go to a tier 2 instead of tier 3 now seems worth it, considering I'd be more than happy to stay in Denver after graduation.

Depending on what Iowa offers, it will be a complete game-changer. If Iowa is < or = Denver, then I will probably go to Iowa. No, it's not in the state where I want to practice, but it's ranked 26 and I wouldn't been too upset if I had to "settle" for a job in Des Moines after graduation. As long as Iowa gets below $100k, then it will be a hard decision between less debt vs. higher ranked school. If Iowa gets below $85k, I feel like it *should* be a no brainer.

I agree that Iowa would be good, but I don't expect money from there. Right now U Nebraska is cheaper by about $20k for me. Not sure if it's worth it but it's closer to my home town, not that I'm set on staying close. I got a full ride at Hamline but I'm not really considering it. I didn't apply to St. Thomas, but perhaps I should have.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”