jayman6 wrote: chrisbru wrote:
Good luck with that. The Assistant Dean of Admissions denied my request for a scholarship increase, stating that outside of the Chancellor, $25k/yr is the maximum they are awarding this year.
Hopefully that bodes well for me... An increase from $20k --> $25k/year would all but seal the deal (pending the gf's acceptance to CSU).
I agree that it's a good deal, but when tuition is already almost $36k and is probably going to increase 3-5% every year, combined with the cost of living in Denver, it seems that the $25k might not go as far as I originally thought. Still, though, it's an excellent deal, but I'm still going to have a hard time swallowing $70-$80k in debt between cost of living and tuition not covered by the scholarship. If employment prospects were more solid it wouldn't be as great of a concern, but I also have about $30k in loans from my undergraduate degree.
What are your cheaper options, and how much less will your total debt be at the end?
For instance, my current options are:
St. Thomas (MN - third tier) - $55k total debt
Denver (second tier) - $100k total debt (scholarship reconsideration pending)
Iowa (26 rank) - $115k total debt - scholarship offer unknown (in the mail)
In my situation, controlling from all outside forces (like my gf not getting into a school within 3 hours of one of these), I would currently choose St. Thomas because the minimum $45k extra debt does seem worth it to me, since I know I would be happy staying in Minneapolis after graduation. However, if Denver upped their scholarship offer, than I would go there... Since $30k more to go to a tier 2 instead of tier 3 now seems worth it, considering I'd be more than happy to stay in Denver after graduation.
Depending on what Iowa offers, it will be a complete game-changer. If Iowa is < or = Denver, then I will probably go to Iowa. No, it's not in the state where I want to practice, but it's ranked 26 and I wouldn't been too upset if I had to "settle" for a job in Des Moines after graduation. As long as Iowa gets below $100k, then it will be a hard decision between less debt vs. higher ranked school. If Iowa gets below $85k, I feel like it *should* be a no brainer.