In at Denver...

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kent99

Re: In at Denver...

Postby kent99 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:47 pm

what kind of travel stipend have you been offered?
another school offered free room and breakfast, but that was it.

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:11 pm

kent99 wrote:what kind of travel stipend have you been offered?
another school offered free room and breakfast, but that was it.

Penn State offered me $300 in documented travel expenses plus the cost of one night's stay in a hotel room.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:07 pm

jayman6 wrote:Has anyone asked about a travel stipend for admitted students weekend? Some other schools have offered me money, and they all seem to be on the same weekend. I sent an email to DU on Friday asking about it and haven't received a response.

Let me know what they say. The only school that has offered me $$ for ASW is WUSTL so far.

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:05 pm

chrisbru wrote:
jayman6 wrote:Has anyone asked about a travel stipend for admitted students weekend? Some other schools have offered me money, and they all seem to be on the same weekend. I sent an email to DU on Friday asking about it and haven't received a response.

Let me know what they say. The only school that has offered me $$ for ASW is WUSTL so far.

I emailed them on Thursday and still haven't heard back. I have emailed a couple questions in the past and they got back to me right away. Perhaps they are just going to ignore the email because they don't want to say no??

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:41 pm

jayman6 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

I emailed them on Thursday and still haven't heard back. I have emailed a couple questions in the past and they got back to me right away. Perhaps they are just going to ignore the email because they don't want to say no??

Or because it's snowing, snowing, snowing in Denver, and they all went home early?

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:39 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
jayman6 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Or because it's snowing, snowing, snowing in Denver, and they all went home early?

Oh because they don't all have Blackberry's or check their email from home?

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:43 am

What's everyone doing about housing?

Many of the cheaper apartments around DU have horrid reviews (although there may just be a self selecting sample).

I may find a cheap place with roomies on craigslist to keep costs down.

That said, if anyone is definitely going to DU and is interested in having law school roomies (housemates, technically), PM me.

kmr07d

Postby kmr07d » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:11 am

So I read this article http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.html
And I am getting worried about the debt.. I didnt get offered a scholarship from Denver so I am looking at sticker price to attend. Any suggestions? I am wondering if I should take on the debt to have the career I want or if I should take a year off. What would any of you do?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:33 am

kmr07d wrote:So I read this article http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.html
And I am getting worried about the debt.. I didnt get offered a scholarship from Denver so I am looking at sticker price to attend. Any suggestions? I am wondering if I should take on the debt to have the career I want or if I should take a year off. What would any of you do?

Well... Here's honesty from someone who hasn't started law school yet, but it's my opinion.

Don't pay sticker to attend Denver unless:
1) Someone is helping you pay for law school or
2) You have a "sure thing" job (family practice, etc.) that will pay you enough to pay off that debt after school

In this economy, law school is far from a safe bet, and taking on $180k in loans isn't a smart idea for a JD from a tier 2 school. However, out of the tier 2 schools, it does seem that Denver fares pretty well with the Denver area being a decent legal market with only two schools in the area.

My direct opinion? This may be cliche... But get 2 or 3 years of work experience, study for the LSAT, and raise your score. Then you can apply for the 2013 or 2014 cycle and have a much better shot at either a higher ranked school or scholarship money at Denver.

krad

Postby krad » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:36 am

I have to agree with chrisbru: I'd never pay sticker at anything below T20 (but I guess I'm in a position to say that). I'd highly advise retaking/reapplying. I know that's not the answer that you want to hear, but it's the safest way to go. You can find hundreds (if not thousands?) of posts on here telling people to retake and reapply.

FWIW, I almost retook my 168 to try for more $/higher-ranked schools, but I scored a point above my average PT score, so I figured it would not be worth it, and I didn't want to risk scoring lower.

That's my $.02 though :| Good luck with whatever you decide to do!!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:52 am

krad wrote:I have to agree with chrisbru: I'd never pay sticker at anything below T20 (but I guess I'm in a position to say that). I'd highly advise retaking/reapplying. I know that's not the answer that you want to hear, but it's the safest way to go. You can find hundreds (if not thousands?) of posts on here telling people to retake and reapply.

FWIW, I almost retook my 168 to try for more $/higher-ranked schools, but I scored a point above my average PT score, so I figured it would not be worth it, and I didn't want to risk scoring lower.

That's my $.02 though :| Good luck with whatever you decide to do!!

+1. I had almost signed up for the February LSAT to see if I could bump from 171 to 174 or 175 (which would have been really tough, since I was only PT'ing at 172), but after I got my St. Thomas full-ride and $20k to Denver I got cocky, and then was waitlisted at Minnesota and STILL haven't heard anything from Colorado.

Any thoughts on taking it in June for extra $$?

kmr07d

Postby kmr07d » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:28 pm

chrisbru wrote:
kmr07d wrote:So I read this article http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.html

Well... Here's honesty from someone who hasn't started law school yet, but it's my opinion.

Don't pay sticker to attend Denver unless:
1) Someone is helping you pay for law school or
2) You have a "sure thing" job (family practice, etc.) that will pay you enough to pay off that debt after school

In this economy, law school is far from a safe bet, and taking on $180k in loans isn't a smart idea for a JD from a tier 2 school. However, out of the tier 2 schools, it does seem that Denver fares pretty well with the Denver area being a decent legal market with only two schools in the area.

My direct opinion? This may be cliche... But get 2 or 3 years of work experience, study for the LSAT, and raise your score. Then you can apply for the 2013 or 2014 cycle and have a much better shot at either a higher ranked school or scholarship money at Denver.

Thank you for the input. I was kind of afraid of the advice but it makes total sense. Looks like I need to get on the job search :( I am going to email financial aid and see if there is any way I can get some sort of scholarship, but looks like I need a higher LSAT. Thanks again!

BWOD

Postby BWOD » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:50 pm

Hi all -

I am currently attending DU for law school and since lawlec dropped off the radar on answering questions (which I will have to give him crap for) I thought I would say hey and let you know that I would be happy to answer any questions you have. That is the one good thing about a snow/cold day.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:42 am

BWOD wrote:Hi all -

I am currently attending DU for law school and since lawlec dropped off the radar on answering questions (which I will have to give him crap for) I thought I would say hey and let you know that I would be happy to answer any questions you have. That is the one good thing about a snow/cold day.

What year are you? What's your perspective on hiring prospects for DU grads... Both in comparison to CU grads and about the Denver legal market in general?

Thanks for stopping in, it really helps having a current student answer some questions!

BWOD

Postby BWOD » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:33 pm

chrisbru wrote:
What year are you? What's your perspective on hiring prospects for DU grads... Both in comparison to CU grads and about the Denver legal market in general?

Thanks for stopping in, it really helps having a current student answer some questions!

I am currently slogging through my second year.

As for prospects, it should be very good for you guys coming in next year barring some economic catastrophe. Last year the 3Ls had a really tough time getting jobs but this years 3Ls have it a bit easier, and that trend should continue. However, it is no longer really possible for most students to get offers until they have already passed the bar, so you may have to wait. That said, I expect most graduates of my year and after obtaining full employment.

As for DU/CU it depends. I know a few judges looking for clerkship have special DU/CU piles where we are all looked at together. Others, if they are CU alums they may have a preference, but if you can set your self apart on the resume some how, you should have an almost equal shot.

One thing to consider too is that DU students have a much easier time working downtown during the school year, so you have a greater selection that may lead to some other offers or at least killer letters of rec.

Hope that helps!

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:51 am

Thanks for taking questions!

How is the nightlife on the weekends? Is there anything around DU, or do people head downtown (or to lodo? I'm not sure)?

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:13 pm

What about housing? Is housing near the school expensive? Is it hard to find a place if you start looking in the spring or summer?

BWOD

Postby BWOD » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:35 pm

Adrian Yale wrote:
How is the nightlife on the weekends? Is there anything around DU, or do people head downtown (or to lodo? I'm not sure)?

This nightlife is very active on the weekends, and on the weekdays for that matter. During the week if people are going out, they tend to stay by school. There are a lot of places to go. Crimson and Gold just opened and it is literally across the ally from school so a lot of people go Thursdays (in your second and third years you probably won't have Friday classes and this may be the case in your first year--luck of the draw, really). Another popular bar is The Stadium which is about 4 blocks from school. It is a classic dive bar, but you should always bring cash because there is $10 minimum for credit card charges which is next to impossible to meet unless you buy drinks for other people. Other bars near by that are popular are Jordan's, Illegal Pete's, and Hanson's (which is in another area called Pearl St, one stop down on the lightrail).

On most weekends we tend to go downtown. Lodo is easy by lightrail so a lot of people go there. Two bars down there where you can always bump into a law school person are Gin Mill and The Tavern. But there are choices from upscale clubs and bars on Larimer or dive bars by Coors Field. There are so many options you kind of feel bad always going to the same place.

jayman6 wrote:What about housing? Is housing near the school expensive? Is it hard to find a place if you start looking in the spring or summer?

Housing is not at all hard to find. You could probably even wait until a week before school and still find something (the undergrads start two weeks after us so you really don't have to compete with them, and there are a couple of apartments only open to grad students). Costs vary if you are living alone with someone. One apartment complex across the street from school will cost you about $700 a month if you live alone, but you could also find a house a couple blocks away for $500 a month if you find a couple of people to live with. But search Craig's List, or here is a couple links for DU off-campus housing (--LinkRemoved--) and other links (--LinkRemoved--).

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions!

lawlec48

Postby lawlec48 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:27 pm

chrisbru wrote:

Sorry for dropping off the face of the earth, I don't really have an excuse either since my semester is really slow so far...only averaging 30 pages of reading per night versus 30 pages per class like last semester.

Just to answer a few quick questions:

Nightlife:
There is no lack of options. I live in LODO right next to Coors Field so there are about 40+ bars within a 6 block walk from my apartment. BWOD was right in regards to areas around DU, there are a few places, but most people in the 1L class tend to go to C&G or Borders, which is a bar that formerly was a hangout for underage undergrads, but now is cracking down on that. They have cheap prices and tables setup for beer pong, which are both attractive to law students.

Housing:

Like I said, I live in lodo, which is nice because it is close to all the action and if I get an internship downtown this summer, then I'll be close, but besides that I would not suggest living downtown your first year. I take the light rail and the trip takes me about 40 minutes to an hour depending upon what line you take, normally its only 40 minutes. If you are planning to drive it can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 40 minutes depending on traffic and traffic is normally slow moving. The rent in LODO is expensive too, on the cheap (small studio) is around 850 and but to 1400 a month. My place is 860 square ft, 1 bedroom which is just under 1200.

Around campus a lot of law student live at Vista Lofts or University Towers. I've heard both good and bad about both, but rent at these two places are around 700 a month. Cheaper can be found around campus though.

Jobs:
For 1Ls there are a ton of options to extern for the summer. Now you obviously are not getting paid to work, in actuality you are paying to work but you get credits and fin. aid if you want for the extern.

With a lot of article on the value of law school, Dean Katz has made sure to try to give people a true understanding of current conditions. Just yesterday, during SBA, Dean Katz gave us some information on the 2009 grads. At 9 months they had a 91% employment rate. Katz said they do not fudge their numbers, but did say that 8 or 9 students of the 91% were counted as employed, but were not in a "JD required" or "JD preferred" job. The 2009 average salary was 71k starting. He also said that the Denver legal community added attorneys in 2010, which is a positive and he believes that it will continue to rebound and grow. In an early email, Katz indicated that the top 15% received jobs paying around 115k and median was around 68-70k.

Things are definitely improving, slowly, but improving none the less. Definitely a positive for future classes.

irenic

Postby irenic » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:13 am

Received an email informing me of admission to DU yesterday evening. Still haven't heard anything regarding a scholarship offer. Does this mean that I'll probably not be getting an offer? Sounds like most have gotten their offers just a couple hours after their initial email informing them of admission.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:14 pm

irenic wrote:Received an email informing me of admission to DU yesterday evening. Still haven't heard anything regarding a scholarship offer. Does this mean that I'll probably not be getting an offer? Sounds like most have gotten their offers just a couple hours after their initial email informing them of admission.

Mine took a day and a half. hang in there.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:59 am

This thread hasn't seen enough action lately (CU seems to be hogging all the posters!)

Anyone else signed up for the ASD on March 25? It looks like it runs from 2ish to 7ish, so there should be plenty of time for TLS drinks after!

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:05 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:This thread hasn't seen enough action lately (CU seems to be hogging all the posters!)

Anyone else signed up for the ASD on March 25? It looks like it runs from 2ish to 7ish, so there should be plenty of time for TLS drinks after!

Its the tail end of my Spring Break so I'll probably be there. I found tickets from SLC for $89, pretty stoked. Wheres everyone going to stay? This is going to be my first time in Denver (on my own).

edit: and +1 for TLS after-drinks!

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:06 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:This thread hasn't seen enough action lately (CU seems to be hogging all the posters!)

I'll be there.

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:13 pm

I wish there was more action on this thread but I'm still waiting on a decision. They are my only undecided second-tier school.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”