In at Denver...

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fundamentallybroken

Re: In at Denver...

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:04 pm

IamAskier wrote:I as well am not super familiar with the Denver area, but I'm pretty used to the climate coming from Salt Lake. I am under the impression that the school is located in a pretty nice/non-hood area of Denver? I noticed titles such as "Cherry" and "Creek" near the school on google maps, which I've been told is the nicest neighborhood in the city? Could a Denver native correct me?

edit: Does Denver even really have a "hood"?

Yes, the school is in a nice area of town. Of course, there are very few "hood" areas in Denver these days - gentrification has been going on for quite a while!

As for everyone wondering about living, it really depends on what you want to be near. Anywhere in town is going to run you from 500 to 1000 for apartments, depending on size, amenities, etc. Since the school is right next to the light rail line, you can go anywhere from a few miles south or north to downtown if you don't want to drive, or really anywhere else if you're okay with driving or catching the bus.

Edit: I kind of live in the hood, though it is fast disappearing as people realize where the cheap housing still is!

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:09 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
IamAskier wrote:I as well am not super familiar with the Denver area, but I'm pretty used to the climate coming from Salt Lake. I am under the impression that the school is located in a pretty nice/non-hood area of Denver? I noticed titles such as "Cherry" and "Creek" near the school on google maps, which I've been told is the nicest neighborhood in the city? Could a Denver native correct me?

edit: Does Denver even really have a "hood"?

Yes, the school is in a nice area of town. Of course, there are very few "hood" areas in Denver these days - gentrification has been going on for quite a while!

As for everyone wondering about living, it really depends on what you want to be near. Anywhere in town is going to run you from 500 to 1000 for apartments, depending on size, amenities, etc. Since the school is right next to the light rail line, you can go anywhere from a few miles south or north to downtown if you don't want to drive, or really anywhere else if you're okay with driving or catching the bus.

Edit: I kind of live in the hood, though it is fast disappearing as people realize where the cheap housing still is!

Thanks for the quick info. I don't know how I know so little about a city I've lived relatively close to my entire life.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:11 pm

(Posting this in the CU thread as well, because, hey, why not?!)

Is it too early to start talking about unofficial ASD happy hours? I mean, if Chrisbru, and Oldhippy, and everyone else is coming out to Denver/Boulder, why not try to get together outside of the 'official' activities?

kent99

Postby kent99 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:11 pm

Denver native here,
Biking is totally doable and the way to go if you can.
Rail pass is free if you're a full time student, and it's super convenient

Denver gets 300 days of sunshine a year, so winters aren't bad at all.

you're gonna love Denver!

(to Iamaskier- can I ask what your lsat/gpa was?? I'm waiting to hear from denver, and just praying I get a scholarship. thanks)

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:33 pm

Is housing in Denver scarce near the University? When would be the latest that I'd want to start looking for housing if I decide to attend?

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:51 pm

Dinged via email about 45 minutes ago. Congrats to all that have been accepted and good luck to those still waiting.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:55 pm

kent99 wrote:Denver native here,
Biking is totally doable and the way to go if you can.
Rail pass is free if you're a full time student, and it's super convenient

Denver gets 300 days of sunshine a year, so winters aren't bad at all.

you're gonna love Denver!

(to Iamaskier- can I ask what your lsat/gpa was?? I'm waiting to hear from denver, and just praying I get a scholarship. thanks)

For sure, I have a 158/3.7 They decided I was worth 10k/yr scholly, renewable with a 3.0. I'm super excited, the 10k makes DU a very doable possibility.

kmr07d

Postby kmr07d » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:18 pm

Thanks Krad!!!! That's actually super helpful...I was worried about having a big dog in the city area..sounds totally doable! Good to know it's not like MI, my extended family is from there also and I could NEVER live there! The sunshine/cold sounds perfect! Can't wait to visit in March!
krad wrote:
Adrian Yale wrote: Do you have any perspective on if you can bike during the winter? I'm from Michigan so I really don't mind cold temps (I was just fine with -3 this past weekend lulz). I'm just more concerned with snow/slush, because they are a pain in the a** to bike through.

Congrats! Biking in the winter won't be bad at all other than the random days when there's snow that doesn't melt within a day or two. I rode my bike to happy hr the other evening, actually haha. The majority of the time, the roads/sidewalks/etc. are clear because snow doesn't sit for very long on the ground in CO like it does in MI (my entire extended fam is in MI). It's also super sunny in the winter compared to MI.

kmr07d wrote:Question to those who are from Denver/CO.. I have never been to Denver and I am from Florida. I am visiting the school in March, where should I look for apartments and such? I have a big dog (Boxer) that will be moving with me and a boyfriend so we need something slightly bigger. Anyone have any advice? HUGE climate change for us, hope it's not too cold!!

kmr congrats! I'm a FL native that's been in Denver for the past 3 years. I can't speak to apartments around the school, but TONS of people in Denver have big dogs (our complex has a million, including several of the biggest dogs I've seen in my life...!). As for weather, it's definitely colder, and there is some snow, but it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. You don't get the grey/drab winter that the Midwest has (sorry Midwest peeps), it's mostly sunny. It can randomly reach 50's and higher in the winter. When I was in FL for Christmas, it was warmer here in CO than it was there.

Hope that helps you two!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:37 pm

kmr07d wrote:Thanks Krad!!!! That's actually super helpful...I was worried about having a big dog in the city area..sounds totally doable! Good to know it's not like MI, my extended family is from there also and I could NEVER live there! The sunshine/cold sounds perfect! Can't wait to visit in March!

Will I be accepted in Denver walking around as a 6 foot, 200 lb man with a 10 pound dog? :-)

kent99

Postby kent99 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:19 pm

thanks, Iamaskier. I'm 156/3.7 so you give me hope!

chrisbru, if you were 199 with a 9 pound dog I'd say no problem, but 200 and 10 is pushing it. watch your back, man!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:30 pm

kent99 wrote:thanks, Iamaskier. I'm 156/3.7 so you give me hope!

chrisbru, if you were 199 with a 9 pound dog I'd say no problem, but 200 and 10 is pushing it. watch your back, man!

DAMMIT!

Good thing my workout plan is going well... I should be down to my 185 lb goal by the time I move to Denver :-)

Side note - anyone try to negotiate your scholarship? I know I'm being nit-picky, but some extra $$$ would go a long way with Denver in my ranking...

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:43 pm

chrisbru wrote:
kent99 wrote:thanks, Iamaskier. I'm 156/3.7 so you give me hope!

DAMMIT!

Good thing my workout plan is going well... I should be down to my 185 lb goal by the time I move to Denver :-)

Side note - anyone try to negotiate your scholarship? I know I'm being nit-picky, but some extra $$$ would go a long way with Denver in my ranking...

I haven't tried yet, since the little I did get was unexpected. But I've been thinking it can't hurt. The stipulations aren't too bad as of right now.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:47 pm

IamAskier wrote:I haven't tried yet, since the little I did get was unexpected. But I've been thinking it can't hurt. The stipulations aren't too bad as of right now.

True. I'd rather have more $$ than no stipulations (I mean, if I can't stay above a 3.0, then I probably should drop out anyway...) but either one would be good. I'm just worried about going $100k in debt for Denver. $80k or less would be much better...

I guess I'm being so picky because St. Thomas in Minneapolis is offering me a full-ride... Meaning I graduate $50k in debt and am already living in one of my 2 target markets. The other one is Denver... So I can justify $30k extra to go to a Tier 2 instead of Tier 3, and $30k more than that to jump to Tier 1 (CU)... But probably not more than that.

Sorry, that was a lot of ellipses. lol.

Lexyeva

Postby Lexyeva » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:55 pm

Has anyone visited the law school? I am going to Denver in a few weeks and would like to visit the school and possibly meet with a professor or official and maybe attend a class. Has anyone done this? How did you go about it? I only see information about a scheduled tour of the school, but I'd like to do more. Anyone have any recommendations? I'd also like to visit CU Boulder, do you think this can all be done in one day??

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:42 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:(Posting this in the CU thread as well, because, hey, why not?!)

Is it too early to start talking about unofficial ASD happy hours? I mean, if Chrisbru, and Oldhippy, and everyone else is coming out to Denver/Boulder, why not try to get together outside of the 'official' activities?

No... but that also means yes for happy hour.

Btw, has anyone gotten any ASD info?

sunlitstars

Postby sunlitstars » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:14 am

I know this isn't a "what are my chances" topic, but I just applied to DU and I'm wondering, based on my experience, what my chances of full tuition might be. For those that got near or at full tuition, what were your stats?

I'm 3.6/165

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:13 pm

sunlitstars wrote:I know this isn't a "what are my chances" topic, but I just applied to DU and I'm wondering, based on my experience, what my chances of full tuition might be. For those that got near or at full tuition, what were your stats?

I'm 3.6/165

They offered 25k... 3.76/161... so I think you have a hell of a chance of getting a great offer. Good luck!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:41 pm

I sent an email about ASD... This is the response:

idavis@law.du.edu wrote:
{Chrisbru},

You should have received information in your admission packet. I apologize; if you have only received an email notifying you of your admission please let me know, there should have been something in the mail too. We will be holding an admitted student open house from 2.30pm to 7.00pm on March 26 - ahead of the April 1st national deposit deadline (our deadline is at the end of April. We will be sending out more program details at the beginning of February. You are, of course, welcome to visit us at your convenience (although weekends are tricky as there is little to see), we'd be happy to organize an individual tour, have you sit in on a class and meet with meet or one of my staff.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Warm Regards,

Iain

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:08 pm

chrisbru wrote:I sent an email about ASD... This is the response:

idavis@law.du.edu wrote:
{Chrisbru},

You should have received information in your admission packet. I apologize; if you have only received an email notifying you of your admission please let me know, there should have been something in the mail too. We will be holding an admitted student open house from 2.30pm to 7.00pm on March 26 - ahead of the April 1st national deposit deadline (our deadline is at the end of April. We will be sending out more program details at the beginning of February. You are, of course, welcome to visit us at your convenience (although weekends are tricky as there is little to see), we'd be happy to organize an individual tour, have you sit in on a class and meet with meet or one of my staff.

Warm Regards,

Iain

Haha, I want to email them about ASD. Maybe they'll spill my decision

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:13 pm

idavis@law.du.edu wrote:
{Chrisbru},

Warm Regards,

Iain

Hm, the website says the ASW is March 25th, not 26th. I guess its not a huge difference either way, just hope the additional promised email info comes. I still haven't received my official acceptance in the mail either.

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:29 pm

idavis@law.du.edu wrote:
{Chrisbru},

Warm Regards,

Iain

Nice

mbe01jad

Postby mbe01jad » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:42 pm

Any DU PT'ers out there?

I will be attending the part-time program this fall and I'm interested in meeting any future classmates that are in Denver, or will be visiting in the next couple months...

kent99

Postby kent99 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:32 am

I applied for PT
haven't heard back

did you get a scholarship?? that will make or break my decision to go.

mbe01jad

Postby mbe01jad » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:47 am

kent99 wrote:I applied for PT
haven't heard back

did you get a scholarship?? that will make or break my decision to go.

I was in the same boat, paying full sticker was just not an option. Fortunately, they thought enough of me to give 15k/yr over 4yrs (the std 3.0 min requirement applies).

Best of luck to you!

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:30 am

Has anyone asked about a travel stipend for admitted students weekend? Some other schools have offered me money, and they all seem to be on the same weekend. I sent an email to DU on Friday asking about it and haven't received a response.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”