In at Denver...

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jayman6

Re: In at Denver...

Postby jayman6 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:52 pm

Does anyone know if there are job requirements or commitments after graduation for Chancellor scholarships? The web site discusses service hour requirements while in law school, but I wondered if graduates were required to work in certain environments for a few years in order to fulfill their commitment. I'm definitely interested in a career in public service, but I just wondered if scholars had to commit to anything specific. The web site wasn't too clear on that.

Any info?

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:35 pm

Just applied.

That's all I have to say. Just tagging this for future reference.

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:37 pm

mdallavis wrote:Just applied.

I see you posting in this thread. I'mma stalk the shit outta you.

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:52 pm

Ginj wrote:
mdallavis wrote:Just applied.

I see you posting in this thread. I'mma stalk the shit outta you.

Yes. Thank you.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:25 pm

Are there ASW dates?

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:33 pm

AH is anyone else still stuck at Application Complete/Ready for Review? I've had no activity since I went complete back in early NOVEMBER. LSN shows people with December and later dates with decisions already. Does the status checker ever change; does it just stay at App Complete/Ready for Review until they've already made a decision and contacted you?

I'm starting to lose it a little bit.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:41 pm

IamAskier wrote:AH is anyone else still stuck at Application Complete/Ready for Review? I've had no activity since I went complete back in early NOVEMBER. LSN shows people with December and later dates with decisions already. Does the status checker ever change; does it just stay at App Complete/Ready for Review until they've already made a decision and contacted you?

Not sure about other people's, but mine was app complete/ready for review and then went directly to decision rendered (or something like that). Email came congratulating me, then about an hour later another came with scholly info.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:43 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
IamAskier wrote:AH is anyone else still stuck at Application Complete/Ready for Review? I've had no activity since I went complete back in early NOVEMBER. LSN shows people with December and later dates with decisions already. Does the status checker ever change; does it just stay at App Complete/Ready for Review until they've already made a decision and contacted you?

Not sure about other people's, but mine was app complete/ready for review and then went directly to decision rendered (or something like that). Email came congratulating me, then about an hour later another came with scholly info.

Same, only my scholly info came about 24 hours or so later.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:47 pm

chrisbru wrote:

Oh yeah, they kept you waiting! I probably got mine sooner because I'm closer, so the email didn't have to travel as far. (huh?)

krad

Postby krad » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:50 pm

chrisbru wrote:

Oh yeah, they kept you waiting! I probably got mine sooner because I'm closer, so the email didn't have to travel as far. (huh?)

There could be something to that theory as we're both in Denver and got ours earlier than Chris... ;)

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:18 pm

chrisbru wrote:

I'm just west in SLC, so maybe it is the extra couple hundred miles between me and the school that is screwing things up (highly unlikely). I'd understand if the decision was coming via the Pony Express, that's be kinda sweet. Maybe I'll just drive the 8 hours to Denver and personally demand a decision.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:29 pm

IamAskier wrote:Maybe I'll just drive the 8 hours to Denver and personally demand a decision.

I have always found demanding things to work quite well in situations like this.

Alternatively, you could drive the 8 hours, then stand outside of the admissions building holding a boombox above your head, playing "In Your Eyes" at top volume. Adcomms are suckers for Say Anything.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:41 pm

IamAskier wrote:Maybe I'll just drive the 8 hours to Denver and personally demand a decision.

I have always found demanding things to work quite well in situations like this.

Alternatively, you could drive the 8 hours, then stand outside of the admissions building holding a boombox above your head, playing "In Your Eyes" at top volume. Adcomms are suckers for Say Anything.

Damn that Cusack, gets me every time.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:42 pm

FINALLY, in via email with 10k/yr!

apaint

Postby apaint » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:26 pm

IamAskier wrote:FINALLY, in via email with 10k/yr!

+1

kmr07d

Postby kmr07d » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:49 am

In via email! I didn't get any scholly information though...anyone know if they send it out after or if it comes at the time of acceptance? I wasn't quite expecting a scholly but it would be nice if I got one!

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:51 am

kmr07d wrote:In via email! I didn't get any scholly information though...anyone know if they send it out after or if it comes at the time of acceptance? I wasn't quite expecting a scholly but it would be nice if I got one!

I got a separate email that came simultaneously with my acceptance email.

edit: oh and congrats!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:07 pm

Congrats to both of you!

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:23 pm

So those of you that are planning on attending, what are you doing for living situation (on or off campus)? DU has available on-campus housing, I'm wondering if theres a building on campus that is exclusively for the LS or one that most choose?

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:43 pm

IamAskier wrote:So those of you that are planning on attending, what are you doing for living situation (on or off campus)? DU has available on-campus housing, I'm wondering if theres a building on campus that is exclusively for the LS or one that most choose?

Most def off... I found a place 2 miles away (I hear you can bike in winter, and if I cant get my bike going in the snow, I'll have my truck) for 550 - a studio with a balcony and wood-burning fireplace (oh hell yes).

I've got a 2L friend there who says that you can get housing from 500-700.

krad

Postby krad » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:52 pm

Congrats to the recent admits! If I end up at DU, I'll probably stay in my current place downtown (live with the SO) and commute. It's like 10min or so by car, so no big. Or I could always take the light rail, we're a few blocks from union station.

Wood burning fireplace = awesome!

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:16 pm

krad wrote:Congrats to the recent admits! If I end up at DU, I'll probably stay in my current place downtown (live with the SO) and commute. It's like 10min or so by car, so no big. Or I could always take the light rail, we're a few blocks from union station.

Wood burning fireplace = awesome!

Do you have any perspective on if you can bike during the winter? I'm from Michigan so I really don't mind cold temps (I was just fine with -3 this past weekend lulz). I'm just more concerned with snow/slush, because they are a pain in the a** to bike through.

Also, I think I'm headed to DU - going there would grant me the opportunity to get an MPH in environmental and occupational health at CU. I want a government job, dammit lol. Congrats to everyone who got in!

Any other individuals think they're going to DU?

Also, has anyone heard of an admitted students day yet?

kmr07d

Postby kmr07d » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:29 pm

Question to those who are from Denver/CO.. I have never been to Denver and I am from Florida. I am visiting the school in March, where should I look for apartments and such? I have a big dog (Boxer) that will be moving with me and a boyfriend so we need something slightly bigger. Anyone have any advice? HUGE climate change for us, hope it's not too cold!!

krad

Postby krad » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:35 pm

Adrian Yale wrote: Do you have any perspective on if you can bike during the winter? I'm from Michigan so I really don't mind cold temps (I was just fine with -3 this past weekend lulz). I'm just more concerned with snow/slush, because they are a pain in the a** to bike through.

Congrats! Biking in the winter won't be bad at all other than the random days when there's snow that doesn't melt within a day or two. I rode my bike to happy hr the other evening, actually haha. The majority of the time, the roads/sidewalks/etc. are clear because snow doesn't sit for very long on the ground in CO like it does in MI (my entire extended fam is in MI). It's also super sunny in the winter compared to MI.

kmr07d wrote:Question to those who are from Denver/CO.. I have never been to Denver and I am from Florida. I am visiting the school in March, where should I look for apartments and such? I have a big dog (Boxer) that will be moving with me and a boyfriend so we need something slightly bigger. Anyone have any advice? HUGE climate change for us, hope it's not too cold!!

kmr congrats! I'm a FL native that's been in Denver for the past 3 years. I can't speak to apartments around the school, but TONS of people in Denver have big dogs (our complex has a million, including several of the biggest dogs I've seen in my life...!). As for weather, it's definitely colder, and there is some snow, but it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. You don't get the grey/drab winter that the Midwest has (sorry Midwest peeps), it's mostly sunny. It can randomly reach 50's and higher in the winter. When I was in FL for Christmas, it was warmer here in CO than it was there.

Hope that helps you two!

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:58 pm

I as well am not super familiar with the Denver area, but I'm pretty used to the climate coming from Salt Lake. I am under the impression that the school is located in a pretty nice/non-hood area of Denver? I noticed titles such as "Cherry" and "Creek" near the school on google maps, which I've been told is the nicest neighborhood in the city? Could a Denver native correct me?

edit: Does Denver even really have a "hood"?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”