In at Denver...

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Barbie

Re: In at Denver...

Postby Barbie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:12 pm

krad wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:Aaaaand there's the scholly!

25K a year, renewable with a 3.0!

Ditto! $20k, thanks GPA haha

+1

krad

Postby krad » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:20 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
deja wrote:Congrats to all who got acceptances! Anyone going there for sure? Or is everybody still waiting on other offers?

Totally depends on $$$. I'm applying for the Chancellor's Scholly, but I have also applied for similar programs at other schools. I love Colorado, but am open to moving.

Yeah, I could see myself moving then eventually coming back... It alllll depends :)

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:21 pm

Phew... I can finally breathe. I've been holding my breath since my acceptance on Tuesday!

$20k a year, renewable with a 3.0! I'm thinking of applying for the Chancellor, but I'm worried that my GPA will take me out of the running despite my extensive service background.

Anyone know how hard a 3.0 is to maintain at DU? I know that is hard to gauge, but do they section stack or anything? Sounds like a lot of us got scholarships, and not EVERYONE can be above a 3.0.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:28 pm

Okay, so I checked my status checker today, and, the status part is not there. It's blank underneath the term, program, etc.. Anybody know what might be up with this? Thanks in advance.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:33 pm

Congrats chrisbru, told ya (or maybe I didn't end up writing that you'd be fineee?) :)

krad

Postby krad » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:33 pm

jacketman03 wrote:Okay, so I checked my status checker today, and, the status part is not there. It's blank underneath the term, program, etc.. Anybody know what might be up with this? Thanks in advance.

Hmm if you're worried you could contact the school. Mine never went blank I don't think, but I didn't check it too regularly. I'd give it a day or so and if you're still worried call or email?

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:34 pm

krad wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:Okay, so I checked my status checker today, and, the status part is not there. It's blank underneath the term, program, etc.. Anybody know what might be up with this? Thanks in advance.

Hmm if you're worried you could contact the school. Mine never went blank I don't think, but I didn't check it too regularly. I'd give it a day or so and if you're still worried call or email?

Yeah, I'm not too worried about it right now, but if it's still like that come Tuesday, I might have to give them a call.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:43 pm

chrisbru wrote:Phew... I can finally breathe. I've been holding my breath since my acceptance on Tuesday!

$20k a year, renewable with a 3.0! I'm thinking of applying for the Chancellor, but I'm worried that my GPA will take me out of the running despite my extensive service background.

Anyone know how hard a 3.0 is to maintain at DU? I know that is hard to gauge, but do they section stack or anything? Sounds like a lot of us got scholarships, and not EVERYONE can be above a 3.0.

I'm applying for Chancellor, and I know some people who have received it in the past (as well as people who almost got it!), and I'm not sure your college gpa has a lot to do with it. In fact, one recipient I know has told me it's really all about the essay, what you've done that's public service oriented and what you plan to do. The way she put it: the essay represents three years of free law school, or about $100,000. So no pressure!

Congrats on your scholly!!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:07 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:I'm applying for Chancellor, and I know some people who have received it in the past (as well as people who almost got it!), and I'm not sure your college gpa has a lot to do with it. In fact, one recipient I know has told me it's really all about the essay, what you've done that's public service oriented and what you plan to do. The way she put it: the essay represents three years of free law school, or about $100,000. So no pressure!

Congrats on your scholly!!

YES! Exactly the response I wanted to read to actually make me apply for this. Thank you :-)

Anyone else applying for the Chancellor?

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:16 pm

I'm thinking of applying for the Chancellor, but I'm not sure if my background is really what they are looking for. I've done some volunteering in homeless shelters, etc, but most of my public service work has revolved around government and student government. I've done internships in federal and state government, and my interest is working in the area of public policy, probably with a state government someday. I've also worked extremely hard and have made significant accomplishments in student government at my University.

I don't want to list all my jobs and accomplishments here, but I'm worried that the scholarship committee might view individuals who have volunteered for nonprofits and battered women's shelters more favorably than individuals like myself who view government as a very noble form of public service.

What does anyone think?

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:22 pm

jayman6 wrote:I'm thinking of applying for the Chancellor, but I'm not sure if my background is really what they are looking for. I've done some volunteering in homeless shelters, etc, but most of my public service work has revolved around government and student government. I've done internships in federal and state government, and my interest is working in the area of public policy, probably with a state government someday. I've also worked extremely hard and have made significant accomplishments in student government at my University.

I don't want to list all my jobs and accomplishments here, but I'm worried that the scholarship committee might view individuals who have volunteered for nonprofits and battered women's shelters more favorably than individuals like myself who view government as a very noble form of public service.

What does anyone think?

One Chancellor scholar I know worked/does work in state government, judicial. I work in state government, regulatory/legislative. Public interest covers an incredibly wide swath of areas, not just pro bono work. It covers non-profits, all levels of government, and beyond. So go for it!

DashCubs

Postby DashCubs » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:02 pm

Just got my acceptance this morning.

Planning on applying for Chancellor's Scholarship. GPA isn't great, but I've been working for non-profits in mental health the past 5 years so I figure I'll give it a shot :mrgreen:

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:03 pm

I'm not super stoked about asking for MORE recommendation letters for the Chancelor scholarship...

kent99

Postby kent99 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:12 am

Just applied, and am waiting.
For those who got in, mind sharing your GPA and LSAT?
Want to know what to expect. . . .
I'm 156/3.76

Thanks

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:00 am

kent99 wrote:Just applied, and am waiting.
I'm 156/3.76

Thanks

Hey Kent, good luck! I'm 162/3.9(ish)

Looks like my wife got some good leads on jobs to keep us here in Denver this morning, so unless Northeastern comes through with the Public Interest Scholly, it's looking more and more like DU for me!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:08 pm

kent99 wrote:Just applied, and am waiting.
I'm 156/3.76

Thanks

171/2.94

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:13 pm

jayman6 wrote:I'm thinking of applying for the Chancellor, but I'm not sure if my background is really what they are looking for. I've done some volunteering in homeless shelters, etc, but most of my public service work has revolved around government and student government. I've done internships in federal and state government, and my interest is working in the area of public policy, probably with a state government someday. I've also worked extremely hard and have made significant accomplishments in student government at my University.

What does anyone think?

One Chancellor scholar I know worked/does work in state government, judicial. I work in state government, regulatory/legislative. Public interest covers an incredibly wide swath of areas, not just pro bono work. It covers non-profits, all levels of government, and beyond. So go for it!

I have to law scholly, but do you need to keep a 3.0 for the Chancellor scholly? THAT would be a huge advantage.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:19 pm

bananeez wrote:
I have to law scholly, but do you need to keep a 3.0 for the Chancellor scholly? THAT would be a huge advantage.

Not sure, but I think it's reasonable to assume you need to maintain a certain gpa to keep it (I mean, if our partial law schollies come with the requirement, I'd assume the full ride would too!) Looking on the website, it says you need at least a 158 LSAT and 3.2 UGGPA, but there's nothing about keeping it once you get it.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:28 pm

bananeez wrote:

Not sure, but I think it's reasonable to assume you need to maintain a certain gpa to keep it (I mean, if our partial law schollies come with the requirement, I'd assume the full ride would too!) Looking on the website, it says you need at least a 158 LSAT and 3.2 UGGPA, but there's nothing about keeping it once you get it.

Interesting. And is it given on a rolling basis? Or is there a hard and fast acceptance date?
(I guess I could look this up...)

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:31 pm

bananeez wrote:
bananeez wrote:

Interesting. And is it given on a rolling basis? Or is there a hard and fast acceptance date?

I don't think it's rolling - these types usually aren't. The deadline is March 1, after which they'll select finalists, conduct interviews, then make a decision. Northeastern has a similar program I've applied to, and has quite a bit more info on it as well!

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:52 pm

bananeez wrote:
bananeez wrote:

I don't think it's rolling - these types usually aren't. The deadline is March 1, after which they'll select finalists, conduct interviews, then make a decision. Northeastern has a similar program I've applied to, and has quite a bit more info on it as well!

Thanks for the info!

Lexyeva

Postby Lexyeva » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:35 pm

Just got accepted via email with a $25k/ yr scholly, contingent on maintaining a 3.0!

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:46 pm

Lexyeva wrote:Just got accepted via email with a $25k/ yr scholly, contingent on maintaining a 3.0!

Congrats!

Lexyeva

Postby Lexyeva » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Lexyeva wrote:Just got accepted via email with a $25k/ yr scholly, contingent on maintaining a 3.0!

Congrats!

Thanks!!

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:40 pm

chrisbru wrote:Phew... I can finally breathe. I've been holding my breath since my acceptance on Tuesday!

Hey Chrisbru congrats on the scholarship. Someone else on this board told us that DU does not section stack and in fact the dean spoke out against how ridiculous that policy was at other schools.

3.0 is also the median GPA, so you would need to be at or above median after one year to keep your scholarship for the next.

Lemme know how the Chancellor scholarship goes. I know from my personal experience that there must be a lot of people at DU that look at soft factors. This is even more true with scholarship committees, who may not be affiliated with admissions and may care a great deal about matching up a personal statements with scholarship requirements.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”